Why Donation?

Started by MickyRO, Feb 25, 2011, 02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MickyRO

i don't get it why people open server with donation if everything is so cheap right now?

ro host 5-10$ + subdomain for poorest person

that's all you need o.o or even if someone pay for server let say 20-50$a month let say with all domain and high memory server you would still be able to pay it from your work since people work minimum salary are 500$ or even from your parents so why donation? i don't get it
MickyRO Mid Rate 50/50/25 No Donation http://micky-ro.worldhostnetwork.net/

Sponsor & Powered by : www.worldhostnetwork.net

DeePee

If you think a $5-10 host is anywhere near good/stable, think again.

MickyRO

i host it on webhostnetwork.net right now and i dont see any problem

Kyomi

But, what is your population right now? Sure the cheap hosting seems to work good for smaller populations, but you have to keep in mind that as it increases, it may not seem as great, and you will eventually have to upgrade to something better.

Anyways, donations aren't always just used to pay for hosting. There's other costs to run a server, such as advertising, or paying that one awesome scripter/spriter/mapper for stuff to add to the server, or even buying anti-hacking/cheating programs (Which can be kinda expensive in some cases, from what I've seen). There's extra costs in there. Sure, some of them might not be needed, but they're often used to improve the server in some ways.

There's also (rare) times that players want to donate to actually chip in on server costs, if they like the server. Which usually results in a server owner opening up donation shops as a way to thank the players offering to help. Although some servers do tend to abuse this, usually offering ridiculously OP items and such, to tempt a player into donating more. It's a sad, sad truth, that server owners do in fact just care about money, and they disguise their greed as "donations to help the server". When really all they do is stick to cheap hosts and such, so they can keep however much money as they can after server costs, rather than using that money to make the server better. :<

Anyways, done ranting now. xD

DeePee

Quote from: MickyRO on Feb 26, 2011, 05:13 AM
i host it on webhostnetwork.net right now and i dont see any problem

Some of us actually want a stable server, without shared memory and cpu usage and low specs.

Not to mention having a fast download available for Full and Mini Installers (preferably 100 mbps/1 gbps on that), a domain name, webhost, advertising.

For a really small server, the one you mention might be fine, but if you get more than 25-50 players, it will lag like hell.

Chemical Crush

You'll learn learn later that better hosting costs more.  RELIABLE hosting costs more.  Proper Advertising and whatnot costs money.  People sometimes have to get people to make websites for their server, which costs money.

vekk

The fact that a server might cost alot IS NOT a reason for any admin to put expensive donation.
Anything over 25$ is just plain ridiculous and stupid.

The fact that a server might cost alot IS NOT a reason for any admin to put uber stuff in it to make it more appealing and have more money.

If you want to make a server. And mostly count on donation to pay the pills from it. DON'T MAKE ONE.
Thank you.

Signify

Quote from: DeePee on Feb 26, 2011, 04:56 AM
If you think a $5-10 host is anywhere near good/stable, think again.
This.

DarkDevine

Sure, why doesn't anyone just spend their money in you and your friends while getting nothing from it.
Why should I spend 40 USD a month just to make some people I don't even know happier?

People that set up a server without donations are most likely far away from reality.
TotalRO - 10x/10x

MickyRO

my are no donation o.o and im in realitiy boy

DeePee

Well, if you are still up and manage to get ~100 players in one year, I take back my words.

MickyRO

i just open 4 days and my highest online was 15

Total Accounts       54
Total Characters       67

so i guess i could do it in 1 year xD

xyuki

I agree with the others if you really want to be able to have a stable server while having more than 20ish people online + pay for advertisements you will pay a lot more than those 10$ for sure. And these aren't the only things people purchase.
Some people buy websites to attract people, actually get a "good" forum (whatever good may mean) instead of using a free one and everything the others have stated.
If you get all of this stuff you will be really happy if some people help you out money wise.

Quote from: MickyRO on Feb 27, 2011, 06:07 AM
i just open 4 days and my highest online was 15

Total Accounts       54
Total Characters       67

so i guess i could do it in 1 year xD
Not wanting to destroy your dreams but as nice as it sounds, I have seen this and "better" and most of those servers died or never had more than 30 people afterwards since people quit, etc. ;P
Wish you luck, though.

MickyRO

DarkDevine

Quote from: MickyRO on Feb 27, 2011, 03:25 AM
my are no donation o.o and im in realitiy boy
You believe you are in reality, there's no way to tell you, you're not, so that you'd believe it.

Though, you are not if you actually spend money in something you get nothing out from.
It's like working for free.
No, actually, it's like if you'd pay your boss to work for him.
It makes no sense.

Don't take your online friends you have fun with etc. into account, just see the facts:
You pay for a server
You work, you do scripts, maps, events etc.
You waste your time that you could use for earning money in a real job
The only thing you get is QQ from the community, telling you you suck
People that like you most probably like you because you can give them free items or because they know you IRL, which is why they'd like you regardless of your server admin status

You still think you're in reality?
What you're doing is wasting your real life for virtuality.
TotalRO - 10x/10x