Why Donation?

Started by MickyRO, Feb 25, 2011, 02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MickyRO

but im working on internet + im study high school in the internet how can i waste my time if all my life are on computer lol even eat i eat in front of it  that sound like a nerd?
MickyRO Mid Rate 50/50/25 No Donation http://micky-ro.worldhostnetwork.net/

Sponsor & Powered by : www.worldhostnetwork.net

DarkDevine

I am talking about money you invest in nothing and time you could invest in earning money.
Don't twist the facts.

The fact is, if you would NOT spend that money and use the time you waste for scripting etc. in writing applications that you could sell, you would have much more money in the end.
That "much more money" is the money YOU won't earn, since you waste your time and money on a RO server instead.
So in fact, this is wasted money and time.

Read that slowly, it seems it's somewhat hard for you to understand reality.
TotalRO - 10x/10x

MickyRO

lol back to topic :p
MickyRO Mid Rate 50/50/25 No Donation http://micky-ro.worldhostnetwork.net/

Sponsor & Powered by : www.worldhostnetwork.net

Skotlex

Quote from: xyuki on Feb 27, 2011, 06:40 AM
Some people buy websites to attract people, actually get a "good" forum (whatever good may mean) instead of using a free one and everything the others have stated.

I don't know, I pretty much like my server's forums, and it was completely free. I am not that sure that "Free" equals "crappy" or low-quality. Nowadays a lot of "free-services" are customizable enough that you don't have to look amateurish when using them.

Quote from: DarkDevine on Feb 27, 2011, 11:58 AM
I am talking about money you invest in nothing and time you could invest in earning money.
Don't twist the facts.

My god, have you never heard of "hobbies"? Everything you do doesn't HAS to be for monetary purposes. People are allowed to "waste" money if it's in something they enjoy doing, you know...

On topic... people just do. You would have to ask individual server owners why they do it. Maybe they just think they need'em, or maybe they are making a server with the intention of making money. I do agree that starting up with a cash-shop and (unbalanced) bait-items makes you stand out as "only cares about money" kind of admin...

(RMS reviews)

Usagimimi

If I could script awesomely, figure out why BrowEdit crashes on Windows 7, and made 2k+/month, I'd make a server just as a hobby. Not interested in money; just because all the other servers, imo, are crappy.

Just my opinion, though.

DarkDevine

Quote from: Skotlex on Feb 28, 2011, 06:34 AM
My god, have you never heard of "hobbies"? Everything you do doesn't HAS to be for monetary purposes. People are allowed to "waste" money if it's in something they enjoy doing, you know...
Again, I am talking about the facts, not about who could have the hobby of administrating a RO server.
If we're talking about doing this as a hobby, this whole thread is senseless, because the question of it would be "Why don't you have administrating RO servers as your hobby?" which is a senseless question since every human has different views of that whole RO server stuff.
TotalRO - 10x/10x

xyuki

Quote from: Skotlex on Feb 28, 2011, 06:34 AM
Quote from: xyuki on Feb 27, 2011, 06:40 AM
Some people buy websites to attract people, actually get a "good" forum (whatever good may mean) instead of using a free one and everything the others have stated.

I don't know, I pretty much like my server's forums, and it was completely free. I am not that sure that "Free" equals "crappy" or low-quality. Nowadays a lot of "free-services" are customizable enough that you don't have to look amateurish when using them.
Well I didn't mean that all free forums are crappy but mostly the "good" forums are more secure and offer more options for a more unique looks and other options plus you have no annoying ads on the forums.
Additionally some people (as stupid as it sounds) are pretty turned off by free forums. I have met people who thought/think certain forums (paid) look more professional and thus make the server look more professional.
I am not saying every free forum is crappy, though. ;P

Yukino

I do get turned off with free forums. Hate ads (worked with free forums before). It's not that difficult to get cheaper webhosting and just download a free forum program without advertisements. I'm one of those people who care about the visual aspects as they make the biggest first impression on me. For some people, it's more of the qualities of the server, but I don't want to bleed my eyes every time I visit a server's website. Sorry to make that sound harsh XD.
Friends are special flowers that bloom from trust.

Free Designs by Me: Here!

xyuki

Quote from: Yukino on Feb 28, 2011, 12:11 PM
I do get turned off with free forums. Hate ads (worked with free forums before). It's not that difficult to get cheaper webhosting and just download a free forum program without advertisements. I'm one of those people who care about the visual aspects as they make the biggest first impression on me. For some people, it's more of the qualities of the server, but I don't want to bleed my eyes every time I visit a server's website. Sorry to make that sound harsh XD.
Exactly this. If the forums/website doesn't look good/appealing to me (and I see ads all over) I don't even bother to see if the server is good. xD

lilmonsta95

Wow your crazy, why would you pay money if you get nothing from it? Is it your money or your parents? Even the richest person alive doesn't like to spend and gain nothing in return.

Khaine

Personally, I agree with DarkDevine and DeePee in the long run, as I generally seem to do lol

But there are people who will just do it as a hobby and have money to throw away I guess.
Quote from: Serenity on Apr 09, 2010, 04:17 AM
I'm just trying to get laid.
Quote from: HiddenIts time for kickin donkey or chewing bubble gum. And i'm all outta bubble gum.

AquarRO

Quote from: lilmonsta95 on Feb 28, 2011, 04:27 PM
Wow your crazy, why would you pay money if you get nothing from it? Is it your money or your parents? Even the richest person alive doesn't like to spend and gain nothing in return.

you know each person are not the same , look me i got full of cash on my desk i can buy everything i wanted but i spend more 300$ on those poor people that got no home or money o.o people just got a heart and i don't want anything return :O so maybe thos admin want people to finally have a place where there are no donation?

lilmonsta95

Umm could you speak better? And why all servers now are crap. Like I said before there isn't a server that is balanced.

l2ue

Apparently, people haven't figure out the amount of server specifications it really takes to run a dedicate server.

And with the increasing numbers of inexperience resellers driving the competition and the decrease in price for server specification over the years, it actually takes less money to host an RO server today than 4-5 years ago.

(For example: Say your name is Yukino and you run a server named StarliteRO. You're inexperience with setting up a server and extinct host happens to be in service to set up your server and website. And its only until you figure out from someone, say l2ue, that the extinct host administrator is actually a inexperience reseller and eAthena programmer, it only until then that you figure out that running a server on $5 per month basis really isn't worth it. It is also important to note that inexperience resellers can not protect your data that well.)

So unless you're running a server with +1k active players, you really shouldn't be worry about whether you will be able to make next month's server bill anyways.

If you want proof, you can always learn how to exploit the flux CP and gain access to at least one administrative account and do some math on the donation panel. A active server with +100 players can milk you +$2500 dollars per month on a cash cow server offering donation items for $25 a piece.

And if you ask any of the active administrators on RMS, such as TalonRO, they'll probably report higher numbers on a really good month or some kind of promotion sell.

It is also important to note that if you want to set up a mirroring server, it'll take you no less than a week to set up a website, forum, and control panel, find a server host that usually sets up within one day, steal a .grf, download a base eAthena emulator, rip some scripts off the database (healers, warpers, etc), and add your server onto any listing site. And you can do all of this with out any knowledge of eAthena, MySQL, C++, etc, unless you are absolutely terrible at following guides. I can even bet that if I mirror all my server files and write a set by set guide on how to successfully set up a dedicate server on a really cheap host that includes the set up guide for the MySQL, FluxCP, Diff Clients, Complie Grfs, and simple eathena configurations. By the end of this week, my all-in one guide can generate +100 server start ups that offer all the same things you'll ever imagine. Its actually been done before.

"The school of the undefeated East!"
"The winds of the king!"
"Look! The East is burning red!"

Usagimimi

Quote from: lilmonsta95 on Feb 28, 2011, 04:27 PM

Why do you play RO if you gain nothing from it? Because you enjoy it, and it's a hobby / past-time of yours.

Just as administrating a server could be a hobby. Sure, unlike the player (unless you're mass-donating for stupid pixels), you're spending money every month and a lot of time and energy (if you're a decent admin, anyway) on something that doesn't generate a revenue.

However, it could bring some people great joy to make others happy, which in turn makes themselves happy. Administration is a mere pleasure; the very same thing could be said about other past-times, too, such as spending time and energy volunteering, for charity, going door-to-door selling candy bars for the Heart Foundation. You're not seeing any income from it, but you help others, and idealistically, that should be a very pleasureful thing for all human beings.

But people nowadays only give to receive, hidden intentions that force people to believe sometimes that "You're only doing this to hold it against me / blackmail me / bribe me later." It's sad, but that's the world we live in, where wanting to help people and sincerely wanting nothing in return is a skeptical, odd, bizarre, and laughable characteristic and behaviour. Sad.