Which Rates Do You Prefer And Why?

Started by Nyub, May 02, 2011, 10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nyub

It's not a major issue or anything, it's just for opinion sharing. And of course, not everyone would agree/disagree.

Allow me to start.

I'm actually a High Rate/SHR person. Personally the time consumption from doing stuff turns to a lazyman's paradise. But not just any SHR Rates that basically feels like a waterfall of exp and rates, the ones that leaves you a challenge like "Ok you can level up fast here, but you still need to work on your items." Most considers it to be too easy or effortless or "LRs are the real deal" stuff, but hey, it's their side. Another thing is PvP (considering the high amount of PROPER nerfs and skill fixes), which you have stats on high (255 or 999), affecting the time flow of battle. More HP means more time to kill (depends on class). A heavily customized SHR in the sense it can attract almost everyone, make them stay, still enjoy WoE and balanced PvP is hard to find nowadays however. >_>

Why I dislike LR and MRs? Grinding your level up to 99/70 (assuming a donator or not), chances are you'd be looking for parties or tankers, lucky if you get the items you'll need for pvp, you refine them slowly or buy stuff from other players for ease, then ends you to enter short-lived PvPs. By short-lived I mean with either a SinX just comes and gives you a Sonic Blowjock, a Wizard going "OH HAI GUISE" *SG* and Champs jumps suddenly Body Relocating and gives you the stars.

That's all. What's your story.

Gene

I like MRs a lot. 1k/1k/100s are not bad for 99/70s too.

MRs are fun only after a successful launch. I should mention PumpkinRO and VastRO for having more than 300 players less than a week after its launch. It's true that grinding takes a lot of time leaving you go on rush for your items, That is why I chose MR. Enough time for Abbey and Thor adventures gaining GvG skills(Fun at thor v3 =P), also enough time for PVP and BG. Not really GvG skills, but while leveling around it also enhances your team skills. As for 1k/1k/100, that was before, when Frozen Glade was still up. New high rate 99/70s just aren't worth playing anymore. *cough w**fRO *wings* *+10 donation foods* cough*.

Anyway best servers I've played were RaijeRO and Timeless Chapter a.k.a. OnaaRO. LR and HR respectively. Best midrate? Pumpkin I guess till corruption blew out.

Kyomi

I personally prefer HR servers (1k~3k rates), with fairly low item rates. I really don't like grinding for ages just to level, but I have no problem farming items at all given the rates aren't TOO low (spending weeks hunting one item kinda blows). To sum it up, I love to spend time gathering items and stuff, but I'm too lazy to actually level. I just don't have the time or patience for it nowadays. :<

I'd also like to see a server where you can level mostly off of quests (One feature that lured me to WoW, you never have to grind to level there, it's all quests). The grinding is kinda one thing that's made me lose interest in RO, I'd much rather level off of doing a bunch of interesting quests than just killkillkill, job change, repeat. I know RO has some repeatable quests, but those still require grinding, and the storyline quests are only really useful at high levels.

Triper

LR - 5 to 7 rates
Teamwork, fun doing stuff together with other people, grinding in group, that's what I prefer in them :)

Best I ever played was a tiny server that was with 200 at first week until admin started to give out items to a guild because said that he could get the server on without the money that guild was paying for items which name I don't remember >.<
It was a cool server newbie friendly with custom maps for starts called the void or something. It was weird but I loved how it was making people doing parties to kill stuff and even custom versions of normal mvps for the newbies lvl. Killing a newbie version of LOD with an archer, thief and an aco never was so fun XD
I miss that server ):

Chemical Crush

Low Rates!  For sure!  Why?  They can be SO flexible to work with <3  Yet all the server owners seem to paste the same crap into EVERY SINGLE LOW RATE SERVER.

Kyomiii is so right, people should have a 'quest to 99' option.  And I don't mean just repetables.  Actual quests, thats also why I love WoW so much, its not grind constantly in 1 area killing things for no reason.  ITs like 'Hay go get dis guize pendant and I give u super great xp and monies, and possibly a neat weapon' deal.  I know that would be hard in RO, because compared to WoW, RO doesn't have many weapons to choose from. 

But yeah, Low Rates here, I like leveling and 99% of the time I like the community of low rates.  :3

Usagimimi

LRs, or low-end MRs. Community is better because the faggy trolls wouldn't dare try a server where they couldn't easily get whatever they wanted, or couldn't easily pwn people.

When I lose all my data, though, and have to start over, I like higher rates. 100/100/50, maximum 1k/1k/75. MVP Cards always needs to be <10x or I won't even bother. Base Level =>150/90.

Nyub

I sure have high salutations for the ones who plays lower rates. No not a sarcasm.

aleksia

I'm more of high rate person, but when I joined midrate as a GM I was shocked to see how people can level and how they really spent time leveling which I can never do :( reason why i love high rate is im a questor i love doing quest, for hats specially :D

Kyomi

Quote from: Chemical Crush on May 02, 2011, 09:47 PM
Kyomiii is so right, people should have a 'quest to 99' option.  And I don't mean just repetables.  Actual quests, thats also why I love WoW so much, its not grind constantly in 1 area killing things for no reason.  ITs like 'Hay go get dis guize pendant and I give u super great xp and monies, and possibly a neat weapon' deal.  I know that would be hard in RO, because compared to WoW, RO doesn't have many weapons to choose from.  

Yeah, the repeatable quests are so dull and boring, and there's not even a storyline. Even the other quests don't have interesting storylines to them. At least with WoW, sure there's still some mob killing involved sometimes, but at least there's reasoning for it and you're not just killing them mindlessly for hours. Most of the mob-killing quests don't even ask you to kill over 9000 things, usually less than 20 or so unless it's for an item with a low drop rate (And sometimes you're asked to just kill a boss-type mob of some kind). And on top of all of that, most of the storylines are very engaging and interesting.

I would love to see a similar system on RO, but I'm pretty sure that would never be done. A lot of people would find it too complicated. And there's also the people who actually enjoy the grind, along with those who are stubborn to changes and only want the original RO gameplay. :<

Oh, how I wish I still had my WoW subscription.. ;-;

mahawirasd

i agree to the above, though RO does not have nearly enough quests to do so, especially if you trans... might wanna look into a server with interesting custom quests etc, or make your own and suggest the quest to the GM /ok;

there was a certain baby novice in my server that did all the quests in order for him to get to 99. Sure at some points he had to get exp some other way, but he did it. Must have been quite painful and arduous, but it just goes to show that it's doable...

And doing the quests based on the irowiki quest table, i did notice that to avoid wasting exp, it is good to top up the quest exp you get so that you start the next quest with 0% exp.

imho WoW had a longer "conception" process than RO and they certainly threw more money at it, so that from the get-go WOW's world was over 9000 times bigger than RO's launch world... but really, i think that to some extent i still enjoy RO's gameplay rather than WOW. So much so that even now that i have a somewhat better laptop, i have no intention of playing WOW...

-w-

demonicplayer09

im more of a SHR guy
i like pvping with 12m or more hp
and i like to see massive dmg
and when i join a LR or MR
i wont last long
lol call me what ever you like *lazy,cheap,etc*
but i like pvp/strategy/math err im not a nerd/geek , im just an another boy :)

Leamee

Anything higher than say, 150.150 is boring to me, always has been. I used to play very low rates (I even lasted a couple of days on a 0.75/0.75/0.75, yes not a typo). One big problem I have with those kind of rates is that getting to discover your class is IMPOSSIBLE. Period.

Myteriouss

Hm, I'm more of a SHR now.. After playing iRO, for the number of days the trial lasted for, I got so tired of leveling and by the end of the trial, I got to my acolyte at level 30? Dang.

Now, I moved from that, to a MR then MR to a SHR and never went back. I just like the damage output and Health given in SHRs. However, I do dislike "one shot leveling" type rates from SHRs that just leave me bored sitting in main town..

But, one thing I do miss from MR was partying in pay_dun00 ;3

Leamee

If you're partying up in pay_dun00, you're doing something wrong, even as a novice  :P
More seriously though I know what you mean, it can be fun even if pay_dun is accessible to any newbie (and you can skip to pay dun level 2 with pupa or remover).

Myteriouss

Quote from: Leamee on May 04, 2011, 07:33 PM
If you're partying up in pay_dun00, you're doing something wrong, even as a novice  :P
More seriously though I know what you mean, it can be fun even if pay_dun is accessible to any newbie (and you can skip to pay dun level 2 with pupa or remover).
Well, starting in pay and moving up xD!