Ragnarok Cities

Started by Usagimimi, Feb 02, 2010, 06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Usagimimi

I always have wondered where RO gets its city inspirations from. I know some of the obvious ones:

Amatsu = Japan
Louyang = China
Payon = Korea(?)
Prontera = Engand
Morroc = Morocco
Veins = Iran(?)
Brasilis = Brazil
Jawaii = Hawaii(?)

Al de Baran appears to be either Italy or Germany; Gonryun also appears to be Chinese/Korean but I don't think there's doubles of country-city inspirations ~_~

Here's a list of all the cities:

Al de Baran
Alberta
Amatsu
Ayothaya
Brasilis
Comodo
Einbech
Einbroch
Geffen
Gonryun
Hugel
Izlude
Juno
Lighthalzen
Louyang
Lutie
Morroc
Nifflheim
Payon
Prontera
Rachel
Umbala

Post what you think.

I'm against the idea that one of these towns is America-inspired, though. RO seems to follow an ancient civilization theme, and unfortunately, America / Canada just doesn't cut it. Hawaii doesn't fall under "America" since it's moreso oceanic and really far off of the coast of America.

yC

Gonryun = Somewhere in China there is a mountain/place named that I think (kunlun ?).
Ayothaya = Thailand
Rachel = India (? the feather whatever npcs ..)

Lou Yang is a city in China, used to be where the palace/empire resides.

Well there's a Alberta in Canada .. who knows.

Usagimimi

Yeah... but it doesn't really look like that lol; too much water .-.

Alberta, Canada is a lot of plains with tall grass and no forests; outside of RO Alberta is a forest and it's off a huge lake or river or something lol it doesn't appear very Canada-Alberta'ish.

Forgot Moscovia, which is Russia.

Majinken Souga

Niflheim is likely from something to do with somewhere people go after they die. One of the quests in... I believe Ayothaya, but I could be wrong... has a NPC push you over a cliff or something. During that process, there's a chance to "die" and end up in Niflheim. Then you do the piano key quest to get out. The Cursed Spirit NPC in the upper-right is an Army of Darkness reference, according to iroWiki. Scroll all the way down.

Lutie... The closest thing I can think of is the North Pole, especially since it has a Christmas theme to it.
The only way to save Modern TV: burn it in a pile, then burn the ashes, then compress and burn those ashes, then sprinkle it with holy water, then send the result into a black hole and never see it again.

jrdn128

btw, how can i go to brasilis town?

Usagimimi

Quote from: jrdn128 on Feb 02, 2010, 01:24 PM
btw, how can i go to brasilis town?

Warper for now; I don't think there's a quest yet or that you can walk there.

See if your admin put it on your server's warpra.

Sarin

there is, I think, official representative in Alberta, similar to louyang and gonryun NPC.

jrdn128

theres no brasilis town in kafra warper.,

Usagimimi

"Official Representative"?

and that means you can't go there, jrdn128.

Sarin

Go to Alberta harbor, piers at very right. There are some NPC like "Louyang representative" or so that can warp you to their city for a price...I think usually 10k. There is one for Brasilis too, at least I've seen it on fwe servers.

Usagimimi

Ah, I see. 'Didn't realize.

Enough thread hijacking lol D:<

Someone said Einbech/Einbroch could be Old England and that Gonryun could be a Taiwan reference.

Also heard Hugel could be Sweden / Switzerland.

What do you think?

DeePee

Alberta could be French /hmm

Astraliche

Isn't Morroc = Egypt?

@majinken -> u can get to nifleheim through umbala bungee, ayothaya push is to leaf cats 0_o

Amatsu is undoubtedly Japan, with teh ninja.
Louyang is China

IMO is that Geffen, Prontera, Izlude, Alberta and Al De Baran is original .___.

Usagimimi

Morroc = Morocco.

The assassin guild is located in Morroc specifically because assassins came from that area ("hassasshins"). Assassins didn't orginated in Egypt; I think the pyramid itself is but a reference to Egypt, but the city is named after the country of Morocco.

The desert of Morroc is huge, too, representing the vast Sahara Desert that stretches from Morocco to Egypt. This connects the two, obviously, and perhaps explains better why RO placed pyramids near Morroc.

Al de baran is an arabic name of a star; the fact that it harbours the Chemist guild is remarkable, since Germans and Arabs were known to be the first Alchemists. They were friends lol

Thus why I think Al de baran is a reference to Germany; Arabic name for their friend's city.

Lei

I'm more inclined to think that Alberta is like an English port town XD
Lend me 100 yen since I'm beautiful.

What is this I don't even