Is Leeching Evil?

Started by bleu, Dec 23, 2008, 12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bleu

Is Leeching the root of all Evil? When did Leeching first started to become popular? Discuss

/hmm

Definition:
In computing and specifically on the Internet, being a leech or leecher refers to the practice of benefiting, usually deliberately, from others' information or effort but not offering anything in return, or only token offerings in an attempt to avoid being called a leech.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leech_(computing)

Sarin

N00bs are root of all RO evil.

There are times when leeching has its reason....for example while making forger char...or when someone offers leech because for example he's already 99, and the exp would be lost, or he just likes to help guildmates....but n00bs running around saying "KAN I HAZ LEECH PLZ", that is evil.

Cielte

Quote from: Sarin on Dec 23, 2008, 12:33 AM
N00bs are root of all RO evil.

There are times when leeching has its reason....for example while making forger char...or when someone offers leech because for example he's already 99, and the exp would be lost, or he just likes to help guildmates....but n00bs running around saying "KAN I HAZ LEECH PLZ", that is evil.

I second that.

leeching isn't evil, but its not nice either
its more annoying then anything, but rarely bad enough to be called evil =o

Descent

In relation to RO, leeching is pathetic, and you can tell the leechers from the people who will actually put the time in to level. The leechers will sit at Anubis with a High Priest who REALLY doesn't want to be there, while they sit in a corner and run from mobs.

Last time I was "leeched", it was a combined effort. My friend's HP was at Anubis along with my Knight, both of us on Even Share, he would kill Anubis, and I would farm Mino and Pasana Cards. Probably the only time I didn't feel completely dirty getting a leech.

If you can't put effort into an MMORPG, you shouldn't be playing it.

Littlechan

Quote from: JJJ on Dec 23, 2008, 01:49 AM
leeching isn't evil, but its not nice either
its more annoying then anything, but rarely bad enough to be called evil =o

I think it's depend. if the people do it in purpose on help, then it's not evil XD

*Thank You very much for Azurene*

The world is getting more and more broken everyday...

The truth about me
I am 17 ;D
[close]

John Locke

Leeching actitudes are selfish and the root of all evil.
IroOpenBeta->SproAlfa->sproGea->NGRO->UltimaRO->FoxRO->Euphro->EvoRO->XatiyaRo->LegacyRO2->EternityRO1->LegacyRO3->FeelRO-> EternityRO3-> European oficial RO

lol my thoughts about leeching work for both the internet term, and the RO term x3
pretty much think the same way about both kinds of leeching lol

Aris

I used to get leeches from my friends way back but I would leech them also if they wanted to so no harm done. I always leech myself now tho.

Overall for everything that isn't RO related, I don't leech alot because I can do things myself or figure it out if I need to.

You

I think leeching is perfectly acceptable, as long as the leecher is the one who asks, and not the person being leeched.  "I'm going to be farming X card, want to come along for extra exp?"  "Level 98 sucks, I know, want some help?"

If I'm getting leeched, I try to chip in something of my own, killing lesser enemies for cards or items, trying to be witty and hilarious over party chat for entertainment, or just putting in that much effort to helping the guy out on a later date.

It's just another part of the whole teamwork thing.

lanceneoh

No.leeching is not evil.
When we leech someone else, he/she will lvl up.
may be later,you need them to help you to beat some MVP.

Poki

I leech noobs and show them who's their boss as they bow down to kiss my dirty feet. Oh, and of course, I do it because I feel good about how I'm needed in their RO life or else they would become rather helpless.

Shaelyn

if a noob doesn't impose, it's not evil.

I get a certain amount of joy from helping others, and that includes letting others leech from me.  it's fun to me.  but if someone's trying to get me to let them leech when I'm busy doing other things, erm...the answer is no, and no means no.  if they push, odds are I'll never let them leech.

when I'm low-level, at most I'll ask for a party...and if people end up letting me leech, sobeit.
~Shae

Hellioning

It's not evil. It is annoying when anything other then a pure forger/creator or a priest asks for a leech, tho.

bleu

From my observations, leeching is normally actively participated by "Experienced Players". New players normally don't know what is leeching. There appears to be various forms of leeching:

1. Leeching as a Business
An experienced player offering Leeching services. S> Leech at Thor. 10m per hour. Provide HP/SP items. PM Me. Normally, only experienced players would be able to afford to buy a leech, unless of course a new player donate some money/get some nice items and sell them for zeny. Even so, you will still need to be within the normal 10 level range to be leeched; so its more catering towards higher level players.

2. Self-leeching
Common on duel-client servers; where you basically leech yourself using another more efficient character. You may be just leeching your Forger or Pure Potter (at least at the beginning). Sooner or later, your lack of patience and the wide-spread culture of leeching will encourage you to leech other characters- some characters which are perfectly able to kill on their own. As time passes, levelling a character is no longer enjoyable. After several years, I am sure most of the Experienced Players have already endured many long hours to killing monsters. They simply wanna focus on some other high level events - WOE and PVP. So, it's the race of getting your character to a Trans 99 and then and only then the fun begins. Levelling is not seen as a learning curve. It's view as a hassle, and irrelevant. What is more important is WOE/PVP skills. So, it's not a surprise seeing full geared Lord Knights, Biochemist being leeched to lvl99 by a Star Gladiator at Thor/ or any other popular leeching spots.

3. You rub my back, I'll rub yours
Exchanging favors among guildmates or friends. I leech your Knight to 99, then you leech my Sage to 99. Deal? It may also involve "Heal slaving" by a priest, as only one party stand to benefit from the party arrangement.

In my view, I do not consider levelling a Guild an act of leeching. It's just taxes. A Guild has no other effective ways of levelling besides taxes. Tribal Solidarity is not an effecient way of levelling the guild. Helping a new player, showing him/her some moves, showing them where to level, sharing some advice, and "Tanking" a bit - I too do not consider it an act of leeching. Wel, u don't normally tank a person for very long periods of time, but leeching - the time spent can be demanding. And there is also a high tendency for the other party to be AFK during leeching. In the case of tanking, the other party still have to do his/her bit of killing to gain the experience.

Could Leeching and Partying be the total opposite? If a server have a strong culture of leeching, will we witness less active levelling parties? And if the culture of partying thrives in a server, will there be a less of a reason to consider leeching. And if partying is considered good, could this mean that leeching is bad?

Hanyuu

Leeching is just another way to play for a loner or outsider who needs his main to catch up quick. What's so bad about it? Maybe not everyone wants to party or be social.
I cannot quench your thirst
Because even if you yearn for the truth, you refuse to believe in it.

Because no such truth exists that you are in anticipation for.

But I still want to quench your thirst.
Because I am the one the that put you into the desert.

Dean Stark

i self-leach but don't leech other ppl does that count?
and EVIL is such a harsh word. it makes me chuckle =p

Hanyuu

I self leech and I leech other people if they ask politely enough.

Poki

You must be one busy person if I were to be near you Hanyuu.  I'd ask you very politely and constantly,  but of course, it's all because I want to bug you. Haha.

MemoZzz

Uhmmmm... I don't see leeching as a bad thing, but I do hate those people who people who ask for help with strange words like "pls, plz, pl0x" and extremely weird grammar.

It surprised me when I was doing the Priest job quest that it said not to help lower levels with your Priest.

echo44

I self leech and Leech my freinds on ro for little time tho is still evil... makes u ask a lot " hey can u leech m for a while pls? " xD and makes u become addict! M and a freind wer leeching for about a month xD IS EVIL tho GOOD xD anyway its like a informatic drug xD
O man~ Sinx
Hell was full so I came Back!~

Hanyuu

Quote from: Poki on Jan 03, 2009, 01:42 AM
You must be one busy person if I were to be near you Hanyuu.  I'd ask you very politely and constantly,  but of course, it's all because I want to bug you. Haha.

lol, even I have my limits. ^.^ Just make sure you don't ask me while I'm pmsing. o.O

Poki

Quote from: Hanyuu on Jan 03, 2009, 02:31 PM
Quote from: Poki on Jan 03, 2009, 01:42 AM

lol, even I have my limits. ^.^ Just make sure you don't ask me while I'm pmsing. o.O

I'd probably be the strangest person to leech.  Next thing you know, I'm screaming out random things and getting attacked by angry porings.  Probably bring a whole mob to you and start going /hlp.  Then I'd praise you my hero and go /ok.

EDIT: Oh look, it's right there.  Wow, I don't know why I noticed my zeny = the # amount of posts you have.  I am so observant /n1

Hanyuu

I eat angry porings for dinner. Unless they end up killing me. x_x I hope you bring yggs.

lol, it was 123 posts and 123 zeny for you huh? Til I kept posting now it's all messed up. xD

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

Leeching is not bad, dual clienting is.