Upcoming Servers

Started by Jadajada, Aug 11, 2009, 08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jadajada

Hi.
I'm suggesting to add a forum section for upcoming servers. (Upcoming servers between
"in 1 day" up to "in 1 month". Personally, I'm always just looking for completely new
servers to join after I left one and I think many people do that. So it would help
to have a section where Admins can post their upcoming server with the usual
informations on it and the opening time.

Luna~

yC

If the server is opening in a day .. or say within a week max, and there is at least something that allow Q & A and progress information .. we usually relax the rule and keep it's advertisement/listing unless they didn't open after they promised date.

As for a month from the opening, that is a lot of work to be done.  There is a lot of uncertainty.  From my experience killing dead server on listing, there are many "look promising" server that never get to open in the end.  There could well be some good ones in the basket, but the possibility of delay / dead before open is high. 

That's my opinion only. 

Do we really want to have a section to advertise upcoming server in additional to the current ad section?  It could be a sub-board under the current ad section.  I want to hear what other says about this first.

Jadajada

Well, I doubt you speak without experience but I haven't experienced
that at all so far about the not opening after announcing. Except for
"We're having problems, opening is postponed by 1-2 days", something
like that.
I think it should have an own section because it'd stand out more and
I don't really see a reason why not to make it one. This is a rather professional
forum though so I understand you might not want to just add a new section like
this. A sub-forum would do as well I think, and dedicated Admins would probably
find it. It might not get enough posts/announcements to be a whole section though so your idea of
a sub-forum might really be better.

Edward

0_o I feel that this is kinda useless since RMS only allows you to post/advertise your server once anyways... and what if a server's been up and hasn't found out about RMS yet? They don't deserve a spot in the Upcoming Servers section, which'll get more attention?

Pretty biased, requires extra attention from RMS staff, and it's pretty useless.

Rei

I'd like to see this added, it can be very helpful to both server owner and player.  A lot of times players like to be there on opening day, and even before that.  Sometimes people like to get a feel for the community before joining, like posting on the forums and discussing suggestions or requests before opening day.  People are also more apt to partying for that 'Novice Rush' if they know a few people from the forums.  Many people out there like 'fresh starts' when it comes to servers, and this would definitely be a big help.

Server owners like to get their name out there in advance, so they can perhaps catch players before opening day.  Believe me, it's a lot more satisfying when you have several people on when you open versus not having anyone at all.  It's nice to see what sort of community you might get, and if your server doesn't seem to be attracting people then you know you're doing something wrong and can work to fix it.  I see it being good for the server health because suggestions are easier to impliment when the server is untouched (at least from my experience).

I realize RMS does allow a 'grace period' of a week or so before opening, and I do think a month is too much.  Three weeks would be perfect, if possible.  It'd be nice to see a sub-board or anything of that matter for upcoming servers.  Of course there would have to be requirements for this, just like the other server advertisment sections.  If this was added, and you didn't want to make a server section for each type (Low Rate, Mid Rate, etc.) then have it be a requirement to post your rates in the title of your advertisement.  Those who can't follow the rules, well they just get theirs taken down.  I'm also not sure if it's possible, but maybe the advertisements could be deleted after so many days of being posted?

I don't know, that's just my two cents.  I really like the idea, and would like to see it added for future reference.

Annihilate

i think this idea should be given a chance. it is a good way for server owners to get input on how they will customise their server and so forth. no matter how pro a server owner is, it is difficult to make sure that he has all the loopholes plugged.

Jadajada

Quote from: Annihilate on Aug 12, 2009, 04:20 AM
i think this idea should be given a chance. it is a good way for server owners to get input on how they will customise their server and so forth. no matter how pro a server owner is, it is difficult to make sure that he has all the loopholes plugged.
Well, that's not actually what my idea was ment for. Players often don't know
what's good for themselves so it shouldn't be a "I'm starting my server in 1 month,
what do you want me to add?"-thing. This kind of stuff can already be posted in
other sections.

Loki

They could just post in the Server Advertisement, no?

Nothing says in the rule that you can only advertise once your server is up and running.
QuoteWhatever floats your boat.