The Difference Between Being Impartial and Being Unfriendly

Started by Xennith, Mar 11, 2007, 07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xennith

I've noticed, in my time in browsing around the many threads on RateMyServer, that the RMS staff is constantly trying to stay impartial in debates, arguments, and attacks on the foundations of the servers which they play host to.

Now, a good example of this is the AnimaRO debate that currently fills RMS to the brim, however, there are actually many examples of servers coming under attack from malcontent players whom have been banned, for whatever reason.

Now, I understand that as a site where players get to speak their mind about such servers, you will need to mostly stay away from getting involved in the arguments... however, I think that it would be excellent policy to move towards always being in favor of the servers hosted on your site, no matter which server they are.

If you make it apparent that you will always favor the server owners, over the people making moral attacks on it, I believe that not only would you find that more servers are comfortable using your site, but that overall, more users would feel like the site isn't just used as an "OMG THESE SERVERS SUCK" site... which really, is what a lot of it has degraded to.

Generally, the same pattern occurs over and over again... a server starts up, and gets a few 100's in its reviews, then a few players will get banned, and then you'll start seeing floods of 10's and 20's.

I think that if you, on the whole, prevented your site from being a host to any hateful attacks on servers, but reserved it to the thought-out analysis that I've seen presented by players in the past, you would find that more servers would be willing to expose themselves to your service.

For example, if a known person from an older server decides to leave it and start his own, it's fair to say that he might be subject easily to attacks on his character from the users on the old server, though the RMS forums, and through the "Server Comments" option. I think it's fair to say that the threat of having these "Impartial" forums here, that simply let players say whatever they want, as long as it stays within some pretty nonspecific guidelines, regardless of how harmful the intent to the server is.

Being impartial is a good thing for a site like yours, but it might be a better idea to simply be impartial to no server, by supporting every server which uses your site... and not simply be letting anyone say whatever they choose.

Defend the people whom you want to advertise your site, and you'll probably see that more servers will use your service.

Please, comment here. I'd love to know what other servers think about this sort of thing, because if I were a server owner, I would want to know that the RMS admins aren't going to play host for the people spreading propaganda about it.
www.AnimaRO.com ~ Try out RMS' most controversial server!

Quote from: Alexander The Great
Nothing is impossible to he who tries.

shane3x

all so true, but guess what. they are at it AGAIN!

i created a spam post in off-topic as a way to make a bit of zeny n some fun.

now unless someone has hacked RMS an admin of this very site has gone and edited my post making fun of animaro

http://www.57456345.info/index.php?q=aHR0cDovL3JhdGVteXNlcnZlci5uZXQvZm9ydW0vZ2VuZXJhbC1jaGl0LWNoYXQvc3BhbS13YXJzLWFyZS15b3UtZ2FtZS8wLw%3D%3D

it was massive not mdonkey
In Memory of AnimaRO...

May it's legacy live on in AnthemRO!

Rbread

Quote from: shane3x on Mar 12, 2007, 12:03 AM

now unless someone has hacked RMS an admin of this very site has gone and edited my post making fun of animaro

http://www.57456345.info/index.php?q=aHR0cDovL3JhdGVteXNlcnZlci5uZXQvZm9ydW0vZ2VuZXJhbC1jaGl0LWNoYXQvc3BhbS13YXJzLWFyZS15b3UtZ2FtZS8wLw%3D%3D

it was mdonkeyive not mdonkey

That's just our word filter filtering out donkey.  Since people are always looking for ways to bypass it, I made it censor partial words.

*EDIT*: Just changed it, it is annoying.

Quote from: Xennith on Mar 11, 2007, 07:50 PM
I've noticed, in my time in browsing around the many threads on RateMyServer, that the RMS staff is constantly trying to stay impartial in debates, arguments, and attacks on the foundations of the servers which they play host to.

If staff, I'm guessing Emmie is involved?  Would it make a difference if I revoked her moderation position?  I dont think so.  She's not apart of the actual RMS staff but is a player who is just active on these boards.  As for me, I'm never involved with any server discussions thus, I never take sides.

Emeralda

*reads*

*makes a deep thought*

*treats this as a personal attack against me*

So your real point is as less unfavourable posts for animaRO as possible by 'removing' me? Instead you could just say it directly: 'everyone should only worship our server'. As Riotblade said before I would still post there as a player. It was said so well that it ain't easy to notice it at first glance so gratz~

Akishira

Emmie's ok, I think.

PS: You love the drama llama too much, Emmie. ;o

shane3x

hang on, how is massive and multiplayer banned or even rude words.

i bet you just taking a chance to take the piss out of anima, even though it wasnt related to anima at all.

Who wants to bet they will edit the top 2 words starting with m.
In Memory of AnimaRO...

Emeralda

Quote from: shane3x on Mar 20, 2007, 05:28 AM
hang on, how is massive and multiplayer banned or even rude words.

i bet you just taking a chance to take the piss out of anima, even though it wasnt related to anima at all.

Who wants to bet they will edit the top 2 words starting with m.

Shane, you are really annoying. Non of those posts were edited by either me or any admins so if you won't explain what you meant I will treat this as a personal attack agaisnt me.

shane3x

Quote from: Riotblade on Mar 12, 2007, 12:49 AM
Quote from: shane3x on Mar 12, 2007, 12:03 AM

it was mdonkeyive not mdonkey

That's just our word filter filtering out donkey.  Since people are always looking for ways to bypass it, I made it censor partial words.

*EDIT*: Just changed it, it is annoying.

Thats what im talking about. You obviously have one very dumb system if it cant tell swearwords from non swearwords.
In Memory of AnimaRO...

Emeralda

Don't go on a rampage against the staff members and instead think for a while. 'Mass' words ended like that because a** was wrongly filtered. Why do you see everywhere a conspiracy against your server?

Caprion

The only ones who complain about RMS' system are the ones who have the flaws in their servers exposed.  They're crusaders without a cause.  Just pay them no mind, RMS Staff.

GoldDean

As a completely random person who has no impact on anything that goes on on this forum (and I have never played AnimaRO or any of those other servers that are subject to mass-debate), I think you, Emmie, are jumping to conclusions too fast. The person who made this topic presented his idea in a very mature and professional manner, and it in no way resembles a personal attack, and this is coming from a person who witnesses and receives many, being a moderator on a server with a less-than-happy history. Aside from this, the person who started the topic never mentioned any names, so there is no reason to assume he is going on a 'rampage' about anyone.

Emeralda

Quote from: GoldDean on Mar 22, 2007, 09:51 PM
I think you, Emmie, are jumping to conclusions too fast. The person who made this topic presented his idea in a very mature and professional manner, and it in no way resembles a personal attack, and this is coming from a person who witnesses and receives many, being a moderator on a server with a less-than-happy history.

I was talking about Shane who openly, not only here, attacks me because I posted unfavourable things about the server he plays on and uses the fact that I'm a moderator here.

Quote from: GoldDean on Mar 22, 2007, 09:51 PM
Aside from this, the person who started the topic never mentioned any names, so there is no reason to assume he is going on a 'rampage' about anyone.

Now to Xennith's part. The only staff are 2 admins and me. The admins don't take part in the drama. So it leaves me. Any conclusions on whom he meant so far?

Glenn

QuoteGenerally, the same pattern occurs over and over again... a server starts up, and gets a few 100's in its reviews, then a few players will get banned, and then you'll start seeing floods of 10's and 20's.

I think that if you, on the whole, prevented your site from being a host to any hateful attacks on servers, but reserved it to the thought-out analysis that I've seen presented by players in the past, you would find that more servers would be willing to expose themselves to your service.

I think this would just be a bad idea personally. Maybe some of the people who gave it a low score for a reason. If you let only good 'high scores' allowed it could be just as bad. I mean people rating servers 100 is straight up BS, no server is perfect. Perhaps we should filter out all 100s.

I mean once I Honestly did a review for a server. The rating was in the mid 40s. But they got my review filtered out, while they left like 8 100s up. Hmm what gives the 100s more credibility then my 40~?

Disabling bad posts would only encourage higher fake 100 spamming to commence. Ohhhh more servers will join so they can FALSELY advertize how good thier server is. If a server truley is good then no bad posts should be flamed right and if they were they really have no reason to worry right?
-- Ragna-Retired --

Caprion

I also have to agree a bit about the impartiality, now that I review the situation.  While it's completely fair for a player to give an unfavorable review of a server (it is RATE My Server, after all), it seems unfair that any staff members show bias of any kind.  I have seen it said that "moderators are players, too", however a moderator of an impartial ratings website should likewise attempt to be impartial.  If the staff members of a site that claims to be neutral show leanings for or against a server, that makes the system of the site seem corrupt itself.  I think it would be wisest that moderators of this forum have no affiliation with any other server, so that we can be assured of the integrity of the ratings.

Emeralda

1. I didn't make any ratings nor reviews on the main site for any server.
2. Find me a person here who doesn't play RO (except me cause I quit RO some time ago).
3. If it goes for aRO I was just correcting flaws in some peoples thinking.
4. I love my new siggy~