Suggestion: Delete reviews that are made before 2007-01-01

Started by yC, Dec 17, 2007, 06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we remove reviews that are made more than 1 year ago?

Yes
10 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: Jan 01, 2008, 06:09 AM

yC

Okay, I got no time to work on the review section for a long time (except maintenance).  Yet the reviews are keep building up.  This isn't a bad thing.  But the top servers that has been around for a lot longer than the newer servers are having an advantage.  Thus, I suggest to shake things up a little by having all the reviews before 2007-01-01, that is, more than a year old will have to be deleted. 

As I mentioned before, I always want to have a more dynamic listing.  The potential of newer servers are there (well some...), they just need more exposure. 

Also, take into account that server changes over time.  A good server might become a bad one or vice-versa.  This move is necessary.  Hmm actually I am already thinking that i SHOULD.  I am making this post to see if anyone have a very good reason to stop me. 

The other reason is, you know and I know, there are cheaters that cheated the reviews with incentives and got away with it (my bad ><!) doing this will be the only way to make the list "fairer" over time.

It might have to be an on going process where any review that is more than 1 year ago will be deleted to be fair.  It depends if I can create a cron script to do that, if needed.  Maybe once a month (or few months) to clean up review that are a year or older.  Can't do this daily due to server load issue.

For some stats, let's look at my db...

If I search for reviews that are made before 2007 (that is, from 2005-12 to 2006-12), I got a total of 2,675 reviews that will be deleted.  Guess how many reviews we have now >>12,435<<! Well minus maybe a few hundred that are left behind from cheated servers that are banned with their reviews.

... any one strongly disagree let me hear your opinion.  Or anyone that have a suggestion.

Ambrose Merle

Question, why not 6 months ago? I know numerous reports, including mine of blackout ro, that are outdated now. The main GM I had a problem with got removed and thus about 40% of the report is worthless since he at first was almost 100% of the problem (I did find out one of the other GMs is corrupt but... meh... still out dated.). My report is about, if not fewer than 6 months old. So although I voted yes, maybe you could see to deleting reviews newer than one year old??

Zone

I agree, deleting the reviews would be a good thing.
As you said, newer server  need more exposure, otherwise they will never get big like servers like Anthem, or Scythe.
I actually think the 6 months is a better idea because of the server changes, many servers change in 6 months, if not all of them in some way.

Infection

Anima is the biggest server. They've definately  got more advertisements than any other server I've seen. If you look on gamesites200, they're all over it.
sup.

Zone

AnthemRO is, yes.
However, the server is under new management, so I think the reviews are quite invalid.

yC

The anima listing has been long gone.  We delist servers that are dead.  Otherwise we would end up with a list with 180 pages (x25 server each page) of servers.

Zone

What I meant was that servers change staff, many servers get bad reviews because of staff.
Change in staff would make those reviews invalid, deleting them would save some bandwidth (I think... /dum)
Anima was only an example.
Another is ScytheRO, Zairik now has new staff, mainly the people who are always in the ventrilo channel.
The former staff was removed or left the server.
Reviews such as my review that was about the staff is now invalid, new staff should have a clean slate, don't you agree?

imo do it

if the server really is that great they'll post new ones
and if its not then well then it must not be that great of a place XD

asdfqwerty123

The earliest review for Scythe is on 2007-02-27 so fine with me.
It just puts my server at an even higher rank to beat.

yC

Quote from: Zairik on Dec 17, 2007, 11:49 PM
The earliest review for Scythe is on 2007-02-27 so fine with me.
It just puts my server at an even higher rank to beat.

keep in mine it will be your turn eventually, if i do it in a month to month basics to remove reviews that are over a year old.

Lantis

yC

btw this is not forgotten yet.  I am just working on other thing at the moment.

Acrued

Every 6 months a clean up should be done.

Like Zone mentions, every 6 months there is bound to have changes in server staff, stability, community, economy and all that jazz.

So i do hope you get round to it yC because it will not only definitely benefit newer servers but alos show new players/searching players a more true rating of the servers.

Zone

It will be handled soon, yC does have quite a bit of things she does.

Skotlex

But I like being able to read really old reviews, it gives some backstory on the server's evolution o_O;

If your concern is how very old reviews skew ratings in favour of older servers, why not just make it so the old reviews are not used at all when calculating the ranking and all that? I guess that;s harder to do, but I would really prefer being able to read reviews from very very long ago, to get an idea of how this server has behaved itself through time, or on the very least to get an idea of just how long this server has been around... no? I wish I had noticed this topic a month ago O_o

(RMS reviews)