Server/search filters.

Started by Rittsel, Apr 01, 2007, 03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rittsel

I would like to see what server software the different servers use in the feature list and be able to search from it.

I'm looking for Aegis servers only. Is this feature possible and sounds interesting to actually add.

Thanks in advance and great site btw.

dravokivich

I dont see how the software the server is running can affect a players desicion in playing a server.

Why would it matter if it was or wasnt Aegis?

yC

i just afraid it's a tough question for some owners ... that dont have a clue what they are running xD

Rittsel

Quote from: dravokivich on Apr 02, 2007, 07:47 AM
I dont see how the software the server is running can affect a players desicion in playing a server.

Because Aegis is the official server-software.

The other two (Freya & eAthena), are emulators and there for does probably not have the 100% correct calculations & not as stable as the real thing.

I dont think it's that a tough question thou. It doesnt hurt to add the alternative, they who know can choose which one and they who do not just skip it.

Caprion

Because Aegis is stolen, incomplete software, it's not only LESS stable, but FAR less legal.

dravokivich

Quote from: Rittsel on Apr 03, 2007, 05:09 PM
Quote from: dravokivich on Apr 02, 2007, 07:47 AM

Because Aegis is the official server-software.

The other two (Freya & eAthena), are emulators and there for does probably not have the 100% correct calculations & not as stable as the real thing.

I dont think it's that a tough question thou. It doesnt hurt to add the alternative, they who know can choose which one and they who do not just skip it.

I know what they are, I'm running a server. I said from the PLAYERS perspective what difference does it make?

Also aegis isn't entirely all that stable. Its made up of loose snippets leaked out. Which makes it harder to update. I've checked em out and they only seem to have life every 3 -> 4 months. when their's major updates.

My server is running on eA but this is the first time I've mentioned it because i don't think its something most players will now about.

Thats like general consumers arguing over Levi's and wrangler's, end of the day its a pair of fricking jeans.

Jayne Cobb

Quote from: Caprion on Apr 04, 2007, 09:22 AM
Because Aegis is stolen, incomplete software, it's not only LESS stable, but FAR less legal.
lol, Aegis is more stable than Eathena. Thats why people want to play RO with Aegis software (why else would they play? Its not because of their updates). I think you guys have the wrong definition of stable. It means it doesn't crash as often. Eathena crashes because "It just does it sometimes".

dravokivich

Quote from: Jayne Cobb on Apr 05, 2007, 01:19 AM
Quote from: Caprion on Apr 04, 2007, 09:22 AM
lol, Aegis is more stable than Eathena. Thats why people want to play RO with Aegis software (why else would they play? Its not because of their updates). I think you guys have the wrong definition of stable. It means it doesn't crash as often. Eathena crashes because "It just does it sometimes".

It crashes when some1 puts in a messed up script. For the most part the stable branch of eA is quite stable for medium populated RO servers.

But hey guess what, it was done by enthusiastic coders in their spare time, how can you expect it to be perfect?

For whats out there and available, its certainly my preference. I used to work on a server running Freya, now im running a server on eA, and i find eA to be alot better.

Glenn

Quotelol, Aegis is more stable than Eathena. Thats why people want to play RO with Aegis software (why else would they play? Its not because of their updates). I think you guys have the wrong definition of stable. It means it doesn't crash as often. Eathena crashes because "It just does it sometimes".

I'd wrather play on an updated server that crashes once a month, then a nonupdated that crashes once every 3~ months.

eAthena is actually pretty stable, The server I'm on has only crashed once in 3 months, though it was only because of a power outage and not even an actual server crash.

By the looks of this, it would only drive people who like specific emulators away from servers, and admins would just keep it out of their page anyways.
-- Ragna-Retired --

Caprion

The only eA crashes I've ever had any experience with was when the admin loaded a flawed script.  If your admin knows what their doing, eA is leagues upon leagues better than Aegis, or any other emulator for that matter.

Pandora

How could a server owner not know what they are running? You have to get your svn/update somewhere.

I agree about eAthena being stable, in a year my server only really crashed once that wasnt internet-provider related.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

Flip

Seconded. eAthena is stable if the owner knows what he/she is doing.

Any other factors affecting the crash would be the lack of server capability, which could be one reason.

Think about it, the people who run Aegis are typically tech buffs (widely known that aegis is more complex than eA, correct me if I'm wrong). So, they naturally will either have or avail what they know to be a good server capability. eA server owners on the other hand, may not know as much (not pinpointing, just in general) about what makes a server tick, at least as much as aegis runners do so they could very well pick a server that is less capable of running RO.

Otherwise, I don't see a diffference in eA and Aegis per se. At least that MUCH a difference as some would claim. My two cents.

dravokivich

Quote from: Flip on Apr 05, 2007, 06:14 PM
Otherwise, I don't see a diffference in eA and Aegis per se. At least that MUCH a difference as some would claim. My two cents.

Its alot harder to customize with aegis.

Also the scripting is very much different. You can see this clearly by looking at the NPC's scripts (If you have a copy of Aegis and eA).

Also, theirs no source code that i have seen released for aegis. eAthena was fully coded up, with source releases. meaning if you know what you are doing, what you want to do, and have a fair idea of how to do it, with eA you can.

You dont have to be a "tech buff" to run an aegis based server, just less adventerous with what you want to do.

Flip

I meant in terms of stability, but yeah.

At least I'm half right I guess?  :P