UtopiaRO

Started by Lythe, Jun 25, 2011, 06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lythe

A very nice server with what seems to be a nebulous modus operandi. I first joined this server a few months ago along with some friends. While most of them decided to stay, due to personal reasons, I went on an extended leave (several months). I have no complaints about the server mechanics in general: the server runs smoothly for me, some of the customs are neat and useful, and most of the community is nice enough to throw a buff your way if you ask politely.

However, I was, and still am (as I still play this server) very discontent with the administrator's modus operandi in certain regards. Recently, one of my friends was banned because another player posted a screenshot where my friend mentioned another server via Private Messages. However, the administration failed to recognize that this individual had asked my friend where he had played last, in an attempt to get him banned purposely. The instigator, who happens to be a close friend of the administrator, was neither investigated  on these claims, nor punished for his drama mongering. My friend is still banned. Later more and more people started getting bans for the most insignificant and negligible reasons, rule infringements that the Game Masters overlook when it's the people closely affiliated to them who commit them.

Additionally, when I first joined the server I personally asked the administrator if my forum signature was appropriate for his forums. It bore the name of a then (and still) dead server along with my spriteĀ“s and sprite name. jTynne, the administrator, said it was okay to use it. However, now that I came back, and having the poor luck of being associated with the aforementioned banned player, it would seem that I am no longer welcome in the forums. The same admin that was so keen as to approve my signature in the past now gave me a permanent ban warning for having the signature (the same signature which he has previously approved), instead of informing me of his change of heart. I posted an inquiry about it on the forums, however I was soon-after banned for inciting "drama" which was certainly not the case.

I thoroughly enjoy playing this server, it's a rare find among the sea of terrible private servers that is out there now. And I do hope that this review will be taken constructively, and that the server administration will not take it as a direct attack on the server, as that is not the purpose of the review. I have been a server GM, forum moderator and player in many servers, over many years. If I join a server it's to spend time with my fellow ROers, to enjoy whatever features the server has to offer, and to have fun. It would be extremely disappointing if this attempt at ameliorating the server were misconstrued to banish me from the server, as I truly have the server's best interest in mind.   

Chemical Crush

I don't usually reply to server reviews.  But it's good to see even though after all that's happened that you actually still play this server, I'm pretty sure i'd pack my bags and leave after what's been done. 

I've never played there myself honestly and i've never talked to the admin, but if that honestly happened I would probably feel very iffy about his whimsical banning.   Now I have heard that UtopiaRO does not put up with a LOT of stuff, which I think is great.  But really?  Banning someone cause they mentioned a server they PLAYED recently?  That's one of the most common questions I get asked when I join a new server.  If you're gonna ban someone cause they were like, oh I played yadayadaRO and yadaRO then you got some serious issues. 

Also, maybe he doesn't remember you asking about the signature.  I mean your signature did have another servers name on it, I understand it's dead, but I can kinda get that.  You could always have someone make a new signature for you?  :x  I don't usually put server names on my signatures for reasons like this.  but again, maybe he just didn't remember or something.

Lythe

Well it's like I said before, the server itself is not bad. In fact, it's one of the better mid-rates out there (in my experience). I actually liked that fact that the admins were a bit tough on trolls, but I never saw it getting this ridiculous. 

I play there still because I enjoy the server and I've made a few friends (plus some that are still there from when I first joined). It sucks that I was banished from their forums for something as silly as that, but that's not particularly why I'm there, so I can live with it. I abide by all server rules and I don't see myself getting banned in-game unless the admin decides to take this the wrong way, and if that's the case then I'll be happy to, as you said, pack my bags and leave. I'm patient but I'm not a masochist.

Anyway, I hope that people won't be deterred from joining based on my particular experience, and I do hope that this review serves at least for the administration team see their decision-making process from another point of view.

Edit:

Though I talked in-game with the owner and we seemed to have reached an agreement, I received an email this morning telling me that because of the RMS "flame reviews" I am expected to leave the server. 

The email is rather long, but this sums it up;

Take this however you wish.

I personally have had enough. Everyone knows I don't approve of trolling or general misbehavior in-game, on the forums, or "drama in general". I'm writing this as Justin, separate from the rest of the staff, because I've simply had enough.

I'm over it. All of it. This is my hobby, it's supposed to be fun for me, and having to deal with all the reports, hearsay, rumors of what you've done/said/have/haven't done, is taxing. I'm through with it, and I'm as politely asking you to leave as I possibly can. I don't want anymore trouble, no more unnecessary drama. From what I understand, everyone involved is technically an adult, so let's leave it at that.

As soon as everyone is back from their forced hiatus [GMs], I do anticipate banishments to be handed out left and right, and I'm not going to stop them. This is their server as much as it's mine, and if the majority of the staff sees it fit to remove players, then that's what it'll do. As of right now, the vote is unanimous to remove you four and three other players from the server, thus, I'm writing this while the others are asleep and away from their desks.

I will be revoking everyone's access to the game at midnight June 26th (~17 hours from now). If you feel it necessary to go revive your RMS flame post, and post more flame reviews, then so be it.

I won't bother logging back in, as I never really had a chance to meet people or make friends. No one to say good-bye to.

Overall experience: Good server, poor administration, decent community (but extremely sensitive to anything said in main or general chat). For me it was overly hostile, I sure hope your experience will be positive.

I have a really hard time recommending this server, but please don't take my word for it, give the server a try and find out for yourself, you might end up finding a server you like.

uncelebrated

Servers run by or otherwise associated with jtynne will always be drama servers.  The staff  either let people go too far for too long (me, for example) or are way too quick and harsh with their punishments. 

'effective now, ***** is butthurt because his server sucks without competent players to make things interesting'

WeCalledHimFred

is this server related to the original UtopiaROs from like 2007 or so?

DemonicGhost

No, the server Lythe played on was closed, any new servers the admin opens up, knowing jTynne, he'd make sure to look at any and all reviews, and learn from them,

This server was created in 2010, lasted a bit over a year.

Stop bumping this topic? ;D
And not a single sh!t is given.

I don't start arguments I can lose.