RebirthRO

Started by Hutchy, Jul 12, 2008, 10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hutchy

I'm not going to get as deep into this as I did my positive review because when I think about this server I upset myself.

When I started there in September of last year, I couldn't stay long enough to get a real impression of the place due to computer issues. I came back with a friend in January, and we spent about six months there.

In the beginning, everything was... eh, pretty okay. GMs didn't talk to players, players didn't talk to GMs, they dealt with their drama on the forums or in WoE instead of ingame, and the admins were doing their jobs but staying in the shadows. It was a neutral thing I guess. No good communication, no bad communication. Very little communication at all. It didn't phase me then, but in the coming months, it really swelled... I played the Low Rate server, which only had a 300-person population (TOPS). It slowly became apparent that since the population paled in comparison to Rebirth's midrate, we were overlooked. The admin, Boots, who attended to our server was quickly put out of commission when her computer fried. Not her fault, but she was the only one who really got anything done. You'll see what I mean in a moment.

The server had a lot of downtime with no explanation. In June, there was a week rollback with no warning whatsoever because of some misunderstanding between server hosts or something about paying fees. When this happened, Syphon, the server's owner, immediately started blaming his admins and saying whatever happened was their fault and to talk to them instead of him.  :-\ So of course everyone did. Everyone blamed whoever they could for over a week of missing items and experience. We were promised double rates and I as well as many other players took advantage of them. Then the next day, all our hard work getting things back was nullified. ANOTHER rollback.

A bunch of people left both low/mid servers at this point, leaving behind only the really powerful guilds, most of which were full of idiots prone to trash-talking. The only two GMs on lowrate were barely active, and whenever they were, one was handing out items and exp to his guildmates while the other just sat around and said she didn't know how to fix whatever problems were going on at the time.

Awesome, right?  /hmm

There was blatant favoritism, and donation items lost during rollback are still not returned even a month after it happened. That combined with the community's downward spiral forced my friends and I to leave, because every town we went to was full of people fighting or complaining, and the forums were much, much worse.

In short, it started out well, and quickly went downhill. And I for one am overjoyed I made the decision to leave. The only thing I regret leaving behind are some of my friends and gear.  :'(

Auroraâ„¢

Unfortunately, starting out pretty good and gradually spinning down the drain is what happens to a lot of servers that have serious potential.

» Coming Soon! «

Hutchy

Quote from: Auroraâ,,¢ on Jul 12, 2008, 01:39 PM

Unfortunately, starting out pretty good and gradually spinning down the drain is what happens to a lot of servers that have serious potential.

Yeah. But when I first started, I wasn't checking the forums, where the downfall of the server was foreshadowed. I could have avoided it I guess, but There goes my donate money. XD

Rekenber

Syphon doesn't really care what happens to the server unless the money stops coming in for him.

darkmoon8

Quote from: Rekenber on Jul 13, 2008, 03:39 AM
Syphon doesn't really care what happens to the server unless the money stops coming in for him.

wut he said

Torte de Lini

Wow.

I'm glad some people see how atrocious that site is.
The only reason that site is #1 or was. Is because Syphon is the most annoying administrator ever concocted into the private server community. He repeats and repeats in larger and larger texts for people to vote in-game and if we don't? He revokes and restricts all events until people vote. It seriously got annoying.

Ancyker? Lacks the capacity of realizing his stupidity and immaturity. If you're not being called an idiot in the forums, you're being sarcastically appalled by his choice of insulting words. At one point, he took votes on PK, just randomly, then... about 5 minutes later, he enabled PK. Said we could appeal/vote/whine about PK-enabling in the evening and for now, it'll remain enabled...

That was strike 3. The first strike was the two rollbacks named above and my items were never returned, even a minor server rollback ate my donated items. The place is donate-hungry and removes any sort of enjoyment RO offers with their GM-like weapons and inbalanced builds. A shame Ancyker is creating Ultimate weapons with 10% Coma and the likes. He claims it'll be different once it's finalized, but based on the events in the past, who can be sure?

Cady

That sounds horrible. >_<

Rekenber

I assure you.

It is horrible.

Torte de Lini

It is a very corrupted and bad site.

Just when I had faith in one admin. Thinking he had the tolerance of a God, he goes ahead and calls us whiny f*** and the likes. Literally no restraint. They've had several bad GM corruptions and other bad events, but who can blame 'em~

Rekenber

Remember the time when the GMs tried to shut down the server by giving everybody free donates, spawning ridiculous amounts of Pori Poris in Morroc, and enabling PvP in Prontera?

I respect those GMs. They actually tried to shut down the corrupted server.

Torte de Lini

Quote from: Rekenber on Jul 15, 2008, 02:43 PM
Remember the time when the GMs tried to shut down the server by giving everybody free donates, spawning ridiculous amounts of Pori Poris in Morroc, and enabling PvP in Prontera?

I respect those GMs. They actually tried to shut down the corrupted server.

LOOOOOOOL

I do :B It was funny times. They still have some f***-up Hwizzie cards. So almost all Hwiz cards are removed from the players!

Hutchy

I hate to be negative, I truly do, but time for another update.

I revisited RebirthRO recently to see how old friends were doing, and found that in the past month or two, not a thing has changed. The population continues to dwindle, and donated items are still not returned from the June rollbacks. Lowrate is still paid little attention - unless you count the new GM, who actually cares about the server, but unfortunately I doubt he alone can save it.

In my short absence, GMs from Midrate came down to LR to help and ended up outraging players by barraging them with insults and interrupting their PvP events.

Almost every forum topic on the Low Rate ends up locked due to flame wars, and most flame wars are started or fueled by guildmates of the aforementioned new GM. I wanted to come in and say hi and whatnot, but I was disgusted and left before I could contact anyone.

A couple of days ago, btw, Syphon redirected the main Rebirthro.com website (and its forum URL) to a page containing ONLY the vote link. This meant that stuck players could not reset without voting, people couldn't check server status without voting, etc.

It's my firm belief that Rebirth is only so high up on the ladder because Syphon takes away your opportunity to effectively *play* the server unless he has your vote.

:< It makes me sad, is all.

Rekenber

So true.

I've heard from my friends that Syphon took down everything from the main site (forums, CP, etc) and only added the vote link when his server dropped to number two.

Helrouis

Oh, I believe they paid gamesites200 to remove some server(s)

Melona

I personally believe that money is their number one priority.

Best Regards,
Melona~