AnthemRO

Started by Johnsu, Oct 01, 2009, 08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annihilate

Quote from: Pasis on Oct 12, 2009, 10:09 PM
Yet again another person questioning the stability, probably because it is the first thing they read repeatedly. I'll make this clear - stability is not the strongest point in this server. It is the longevity and survivability of this server that is the strongest point, and stability only serves to fuel her longevity. Perhaps I should not let readers to come up with their own conclusions by making clearer statements, like "lasted many years" rather than "legacy" or "all the setbacks, turbulent times". What was I thinking - not every interpretation of a set of statements is the same. Sorry, Annihilate.

But alright - here are my thoughts if one would like to play on my take on stability:

I wouldn't know about the changes being feasible within the timeframe. Nor am I really sure what exactly are they are trying to do.

I am no fortune teller. For now, I will doubt any changes of the server to eAthena in order to obtain Episode 13 and Renewal.

In a real platform in this modern society, innovations are controlled and stability is a paramount issue. Take for example, the Large Hadron Collider. Just because of a few small issues, the LHC had to undergo repairs that still continue until now. Every little bit of detail must be paid attention to and no margin of error is allowed. In order for it to function safely, it must have stability. Innovations can produce benefits, but if implemented at an unstable platform, it may turn dangerous.

At a smaller scale...

AnthemRO has lasted for many years with a relatively healthy population simply because of one piece of code she stands by - stability. Not only on the game platform, she has also built herself on donations that is encouraged by in-game rewards in order to support the game platform itself. The base is planted firmly into the ground.

Although new episodes are always a welcome sight, care must be taken on an Aegis platform. True, we can get these episodes earlier on eAthena. But data loss is always a real threat to a low rate server in which some of the in-game items have real money origins. Public outrage can occur if anything as heinous as data loss occurs because some cash had been invested in this game. So the Aegis platform is chosen for stability and any changes or steps made must be taken with absolute caution. Otherwise the consequences might overwhelm this server.

However, I have heard that eAthena is increasingly becoming stable. If this rings true, then I cannot disagree that a change to eAthena is the best course of action for the continuation of this server. An much more inexpensive way for the same uncompromised stability is always a good thing. However, there is always an amount of trust needed. Only by reaching a confident level of stability that is proven that I'd surmise a change to eAthena. Times can change and I am very well aware of that.

In the past, Aegis was chosen for its stability factor over eAthena. Again, I apologise for not making this clear.

But really, that is up to the administration to decide. Hell, they might even change to eAthena now if they wanted to. They have to simply weigh in the different aspects and factors in the server - attractiveness, freshness, stability, rent and such. Whatever they put in first priority is the deciding factor.

TL;DR: Longetivity+Survivability on a management system that firmly intertwines donates with survivability.

But then the question is, is it wise to let mvp cards into the picture?

Pasis

What else could one suggest?

The only attraction point that actually gets anyone to donate are the 'luxury items'.

I wouldn't donate my money on getting items that I felt is not worth my value for money. Like +3 Stat hats for $20. Certainly, even if I could get them at $5, how many $5's can I obtain before one is able to pay for the rent of this server? The basis of the Pigeonhole Principle applies - I can't really want to get more than one hat for myself, for my character can only wear one hat. For this, the Kaho Horns exist. The same applies to cards - how many slots can I fill into the same type of weapons for the use for one person? A principle of large money for large items must be applied. The slot remains a slot that can fill in any cards, regardless of magnitude.

How many would want to donate $1-$5 for cards that are not even worth their weight in the playing field? And how many can actually be donated for before one can support the server rent? If time for transferring something requires the same amount of energy and time to traverse, transfer of small bits at any given time will waste energy and becomes terribly inefficient. For this, larger amounts must be passed through at any given time.

This server is made not too easy for being low rate, but at the same time not too hard because of the high availability of luxury items. Although it sometimes cause an apparent disparity with in-game wealth between non-donators and donators, it is one of the few ways one can actually encourage donation and cash flow. In the psychological aspect, humans are competitive in various and many platforms. And each one will be very likely to try to best each other in a large sample. The MvP cards give a good edge, and manipulation of human competitiveness is used in order to encourage donations.

Annihilate

Quote from: Pasis on Oct 13, 2009, 11:34 AM
What else could one suggest?

The only attraction point that actually gets anyone to donate are the 'luxury items'.

I wouldn't donate my money on getting items that I felt is not worth my value for money. Like +3 Stat hats for $20. Certainly, even if I could get them at $5, how many $5's can I obtain before one is able to pay for the rent of this server? The basis of the Pigeonhole Principle applies - I can't really want to get more than one hat for myself, for my character can only wear one hat. For this, the Kaho Horns exist. The same applies to cards - how many slots can I fill into the same type of weapons for the use for one person? A principle of large money for large items must be applied. The slot remains a slot that can fill in any cards, regardless of magnitude.

How many would want to donate $1-$5 for cards that are not even worth their weight in the playing field? And how many can actually be donated for before one can support the server rent? If time for transferring something requires the same amount of energy and time to traverse, transfer of small bits at any given time will waste energy and becomes terribly inefficient. For this, larger amounts must be passed through at any given time.

This server is made not too easy for being low rate, but at the same time not too hard because of the high availability of luxury items. Although it sometimes cause an apparent disparity with in-game wealth between non-donators and donators, it is one of the few ways one can actually encourage donation and cash flow. In the psychological aspect, humans are competitive in various and many platforms. And each one will be very likely to try to best each other in a large sample. The MvP cards give a good edge, and manipulation of human competitiveness is used in order to encourage donations.

TL;DR: anthRO admin probably thinks that no one will donate if MvP Cards are not at stake.

Some points:

1. Suppose we replace +3 Stat Hats with MvP cards. How many slots does any item have? 4 at most. I think the same pigeonhole principle applies.

2. So by the looks of it, its a low rate for non-donators, a SHR for the wealthy.

Whew.

Pasis

Quote from: Annihilate on Oct 13, 2009, 06:07 PM
1. Suppose we replace +3 Stat Hats with MvP cards. How many slots does any item have? 4 at most. I think the same pigeonhole principle applies.

That is correct. If I had to pay say, $5 for each card - the server can only get a maximum of $20 for each 4-slot weapon. But with MvP cards costing at $25 each, and with a proper weighted value for money in the MvP, I can make a maximum of $100 for every 4-slot weapon that is intended to be filled. And as I have mentioned earlier, the slots do not discriminate what magnitude does the card have. A slot fits a card, regardless of type and effect.

Remember - the number of weapons are not infinite, therefore the number of slots are not infinite either. The players aren't gonna be likely to produce duplicates of the same carded weapon. And the traversal of this flow is constant. Therefore, large input for large output must be applied in a definite space as small input for small output will be impractical. Neither is small input for large input feasible to the players.

2. So by the looks of it, its a low rate for non-donators, a SHR for the wealthy.

The non-donators have chosen to play in this server. If they relish the challenge for a stable low rate server and working their way up, so be it. If they are not so willing to invest their time and energy in this game but is determined to stay up in the game, they can choose to donate to keep up. And by having this sort of relation the server is able to generate an income to sustain herself.

AnthemRO does not force her players to donate. She encourage donations by rewarding those who donate, in which is a vital part of her sustainability. Many servers also have this sort of approach to maintain themselves. And tell you what, the only servers that can make a sustainable living by having small input for small output are the Super High, High and Medium rate servers, and by that most that are thriving or surviving are eAthena servers which are inexpensive to maintain. These three types are already easy, so there is no real need to have MvP cards or Kaho Horns to make it any more easier.

In a low rate Aegis server such as AnthemRO, a balance has to be obtained between easy and hard to appeal to the masses. Otherwise it'll only be a server for grinding junkies that'll probably sink into obscurity when there is nothing to sustain it.

Annihilate

Quote from: Pasis on Oct 14, 2009, 06:35 AM

That is correct. If I had to pay say, $5 for each card - the server can only get a maximum of $20 for each 4-slot weapon. But with MvP cards costing at $25 each, and with a proper weighted value for money in the MvP, I can make a maximum of $100 for every 4-slot weapon that is intended to be filled. And as I have mentioned earlier, the slots do not discriminate what magnitude does the card have. A slot fits a card, regardless of type and effect.

Remember - the number of weapons are not infinite, therefore the number of slots are not infinite either. The players aren't gonna be likely to produce duplicates of the same carded weapon. And the traversal of this flow is constant. Therefore, large input for large output must be applied in a definite space as small input for small output will be impractical. Neither is small input for large input feasible to the players.

TL:DR: Yes annihilate, youre right, which basically makes my last post about the legitimacy of having boss cards as donation items rebuked.

The non-donators have chosen to play in this server. If they relish the challenge for a stable low rate server and working their way up, so be it. If they are not so willing to invest their time and energy in this game but is determined to stay up in the game, they can choose to donate to keep up. And by having this sort of relation the server is able to generate an income to sustain herself.

AnthemRO does not force her players to donate. She encourage donations by rewarding those who donate, in which is a vital part of her sustainability. Many servers also have this sort of approach to maintain themselves. And tell you what, the only servers that can make a sustainable living by having small input for small output are the Super High, High and Medium rate servers, and by that most that are thriving or surviving are eAthena servers which are inexpensive to maintain. These three types are already easy, so there is no real need to have MvP cards or Kaho Horns to make it any more easier.

In a low rate Aegis server such as AnthemRO, a balance has to be obtained between easy and hard to appeal to the masses. Otherwise it'll only be a server for grinding junkies that'll probably sink into obscurity when there is nothing to sustain it.

TL;DR : So annihilate, as far as pvp, this server will suck for people who got no money because the disparity between those 2 classes is amplified by the donate system.

Whew. We basically went through a novel only to have you admit that yeah, this server is much much harder for non-donators.

P.S. (off topic) i know that you love to write and all, but please keep it short and simple.

Pasis

Quote from: Annihilate on Oct 14, 2009, 04:42 PM

TL:DR: Yes annihilate, youre right, which basically makes my last post about the legitimacy of having boss cards as donation items rebuked.

Are you sure you actually understood my posts? Do you actually understand what is the Pigeonhole Principle, anyways? ._.

Because it seems to me that you are simply throwing questions and statements without properly reading anything. You're selecting only what you want to read and using it as fodder. And this defies proper forum conduct.

TL;DR : So annihilate, as far as pvp, this server will suck for people who got no money because the disparity between those 2 classes is amplified by the donate system.

The 'people who got no money' can actually choose to not go for PvP. I don't donate either, and I simply did not choose to go for PvP. And if they wish to go for PvP, that is entirely up to them. Not everything is about PvP. I still can have my fun in the game. I just simply have to make my way up since I am a person 'who got no money'.

This is a fact - those who help sustain the server will be rewarded. This idea is not new either - upcoming free MMORPGs offer players to purchase something in the exchange for more content, more items, and bigger advantages. If everyone has to donate from their hearts, then I doubt an expensive private server can last. You know this very well - you're not living in Care-a-Lot. It is not all candy and joy in this world.

P.S. I will write at any length as I wish. This is a forum, keep up.

Off-Topic: Do you have some kind of grudge against the server or me? You seem to want to go at any length to blow away many things that I say. If it is has some weight like your eAthena statements, I openly take it in. But you're simply getting more ridiculous with each passing post of yours after that. If you have any serious argument or grouses you wish to express, then put it here clearly and we can discuss it. I don't think it is a good idea to keep posting vague questions and statements in the hopes of getting me to slip and fall. That is akin to baiting. If my opinions really have any contradiction, so be it and I will correct it. But there are none and you speculate in such a way it is as if I am contradicting myself even if I am just reaffirming my opinion over and over again.

You talk about eAthena, I accept it as a feasible course of action. I think it is a good point that can be considered.

You question about MvP cards, and I think it is essential to the server's sustainability. And I explained on how and why it works this way by using the basis of the Pigeonhole Principle. You repeated my idea, and I thought you have an understanding on it now. Yet you twist my words later in such a way as if I am falling over myself. If you have any real arguments or ideas to describe that MvP cards are malicious or bad to this server, then by any means write it in here. Don't just say "Oh, poor people QQ in PvP and rich people haha in WoE." - I already know that, and I have explained that it is a matter of choice. And try not to speculate from other people's post. We can always discuss it out in every aspect, be it positive or negative. This is a forum - We discuss. All you have to do is just place your opinion. That is all.

What else would you like to know about my opinion on this server? And please try not to take my words as if it is a factual description of this server and twist my words in a negative manner. It is not nice. I'm only a reviewer who gave my most honest opinion of this server.

Luna~

Pasis, are you on AnthemRO's staff?

Pasis

Quote from: LunaCharm on Oct 15, 2009, 01:25 AM

Never am, and never was. But I am flattered. Thank you. /heh

I'm just a player giving out his review and opinions on the server. I might sound like a staff member because of my rather unmovable stand(or possibly even the way I write), but that is because I think that this server is sometimes judged too quickly or attacked unfairly.

If I am a staff member, then whatever posts I have is obligated blather and carry less weight than the player. If I am a staff member, I wouldn't really write a review on the server I am staffing, because that would sound like self-appreciation. /heh

bensei

Didnt donate tons in my 2 years, ( be it 50$?) and my friend valash and i got like every item now.

So i dont see how its only possible for donators toget wealthy :P

Annihilate

Quote from: bensei on Oct 15, 2009, 01:48 PM
Didnt donate tons in my 2 years, ( be it 50$?) and my friend valash and i got like every item now.

err, 2 years?

bleu

Quote from: Pasis on Oct 15, 2009, 06:42 AM
Quote from: LunaCharm on Oct 15, 2009, 01:25 AM
Never am, and never was. But I am flattered. Thank you. /heh

I very much doubt the comment made was meant to flatter you or to be taken as a compliment in any case.

Quote from: Pasis on Oct 15, 2009, 01:03 AM
Off-Topic: Do you have some kind of grudge against the server or me? You seem to want to go at any length to blow away many things that I say.

I doubt he has any grudge against you personally. It's more to do with the fact there's a lot of "icing" done in those reviews, highlighting certain aspects of the server and downplaying the importance of other aspects. And many forum users like myself refuse to standby ideally while innocent and naive players are being mislead and sucked into anthemRO believing that it's a good server, balanced, equal opportunity, stable, untainted with corruption/abuses and a server with a bright future. Even the GM has been quoted; expressing doubt that the server will continue to survive past Christmas this year if the financial health of the server do not improve.

Short Version:
AnthemRO WANTS AND NEED YOUR MONEY TO CONTINUE PAST CHRISTMAS! PLS JOIN AND DONATE

Mania

Wow, Annihilate is totally condescending and snarky with his "tl:dr" remarks.

Quote from: Annihilate on Oct 15, 2009, 02:04 PM
Quote from: bensei on Oct 15, 2009, 01:48 PM

err, 2 years?

Uh yeah, AnthemRO has been up for 2 years in November. However, I think some of Ben and Valash's fortunes came during AnimaRO days.

Usagimimi

Quote from: Mania on Oct 15, 2009, 07:05 PM
Wow, Annihilate is totally condescending and snarky with his "tl:dr" remarks/

Off-Topic:

What does TL;DR mean? I know it means to summarize things (and misses a lot of information while doing it) but what's it stand for? I know "TLTR" but not TL;DR.

Luna~

Too Long; Didn't Read

Usagimimi

Quote from: LunaCharm on Oct 15, 2009, 08:51 PM
Too Long; Didn't Read

Ah thanks. So pretty much talking out the butt.

Thanks for clarification ^^