AdventRO

Started by Liliana, May 08, 2009, 02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liliana

So far in my experience on Advent Ro, is about 1 week now, and I have already made good friends. The server is relatively new so its a litte unstable while the owner tweaks and gets a stable server host but I can overlook that. Its RP base is wonderful, even if the number of players is limited since alot of People dont know how to RP or hate to RP. But those on here that do RP do not dissapoint. The GMs are VERY active in the RP storyline they have set. I would recomment this server to RPers. Well im , CST-6 ((in Alabama)) and  There usually quiet a few people in around 9am to like 12 am, You nine times out of 10 wont be  without RP, even if the said prson may be on a whole nother map.

Allow me to touch more on the server itself.. Since the server is fairly new, its VERY stable to be hosted on someones PC,  Its RARELY down, Yes mother nature may have a affect , or something may be wrong on the owners end ((ex. Comp crash, net drop)). But overall stability and avaliablity ir very good. Its not completley lagless, but for a self hosted server, this is very good <3

WoE isnt existant on here due to guild are few and far between, but the guilds on here are involved in the storyline or will eventually. But the guild have there on RPs along with the main storyline. I dont care iof theres WoE, RP is the best thing evar +_+

As for the economy, it doenst matter since its RP, when not RPing to go gain a little zenny or RP out jobs and get paid zenny, and customize your character as you go along. When your perfect your chars looks, its easy to get into character.

The Game Masters (GMs) are active almost all the time outside their lives btu when they are in-game they are active in RPing. They will keep your donkey inline which is a wonderful thing. They are friendly and helpful, and very professional in how they act OOC (Out of character)) even if there character may be rude or evil In Character. There attitude toward players make them lovable <3.  They plan out ways to continue to main storylien with some twists to it +_+.

Eventfulness, Anythign can happen in RP <3

Over my score is  5 stars out of 5.

This is truly a server to be thought of if your a RPer.

To avoid flaming: No posting opinions without Basis Ty :3

Hutchy

Note: Opinions that disagree with yours are not flames, nor do opinions require a "basis" - they are opinions, which are unique to every individual.

That aside, I didn't know there were any RP servers still alive and thriving, so I'm surprised to see a review for one.

But I have a few questions.

Does the RP take place mostly on forums or mostly ingame (or an even mix of the two)? How does WoE work when in character?

Also - forgive me if this is a stupid question here - how does the economy "not matter"? Not trying to be facetious, again, just not familiar with where the emphasis lies on an RP server; does the actual gameplay just serve as a vessel for the actual RPing, is there no real emphasis on leveling, etc... I would imagine one would need a stable economy to be able to afford equips and items that allow non-RP gameplay to run smoothly.

LemonCrosswalk

I thought I saw a thread just like this an hour ago. Oh well, I'll ask my same question.

I could have sworn I have seen your server listed more than a month ago. Not to mention the screen shots are from January and February. Did you wipe and start over again?

Descent

Quote from: Liliana on May 08, 2009, 02:28 PM
To avoid flaming: No posting opinions without Basis Ty :3

Yeah, until you Administrate your own forums, you don't make rules, here. This is the risk you take by posting a Review.

And it's about time to hear of another RP Server. Last one I heard of was Legacy of Eos, months back.

Liliana

Quote from: Hutchy on May 08, 2009, 02:49 PM
Note: Opinions that disagree with yours are not flames, nor do opinions require a "basis" - they are opinions, which are unique to every individual.

That aside, I didn't know there were any RP servers still alive and thriving, so I'm surprised to see a review for one.

But I have a few questions.

Does the RP take place mostly on forums or mostly ingame (or an even mix of the two)? How does WoE work when in character?

Also - forgive me if this is a stupid question here - how does the economy "not matter"? Not trying to be facetious, again, just not familiar with where the emphasis lies on an RP server; does the actual gameplay just serve as a vessel for the actual RPing, is there no real emphasis on leveling, etc... I would imagine one would need a stable economy to be able to afford equips and items that allow non-RP gameplay to run smoothly.

WoE- Most guild are iinvolved in the story line set up so no WoE, you are allowed to get a castle for your guild though for RPs sake. This isnt a PvP server, most things take place in character. Dunno is DavDav has it coded in but if if want to do a WoE similar act, might try Party PvP via @Duel. Not sure honestly.

RP Takes place all in Game and occasioanlly forum

The economy, well, SInce this is pure RP, you wouldnt set up shops to buy stuff, you would RP bartering trying to make a deal and such forward.

Were not about PvP or PK or anything . Were about good ol' roleplaying. Yes there are still RP ro servers out there :3

--------------------------------------------------

Were only about 5 to 6 months old.

horo

Since Ro is really not suited for RP besides having pretty headgears, I've to say that if a Ro RP server is surviving nowadays (and has been for 5-6 months now), more power to them. How many players do you have?

DavDav

As the owner(Davven) of AdventRO, I created this server for players who likes/knows what RP is, and for those who enjoys it, of course. We're pretty new, the server opened up last December 12/12/08, and since the majority of people looks for PVP/WoE and Technical based stuff, we don't have a big community, yet. We're about 20/30 players, though, I am not disappointing on how small the community is, because we're like a one big happy family and we really do have fun RPing and interact our characters with each other.
And as how it works, well, take a peek in the forums and look at the rules and stuff, who knows, you might find it interesting.

Snarkowski

Advent is an interesting dingus. A brief review wouldn't really do it much justice, so here's a relatively lengthy one, starting with a bit of a bulleted list.

Sever Strong Points

> A fairly massive assortment of custom things, which are being added to on a weekly basis.
> A solid RP community which, though small, seems to be very accepting of new folks.
> General community friendliness.
> General GM friendliness.
> Relative freedom with character concepts. (See weak points for an explanation of the "relative" part)
> Relative lack of cliques. (These happen everywhere, hence the "relative" here)
> Relative server stability. (See weak points for an explanation)

Server Weak Points

> Creating anything other than a human currently requires GM permission.
> Having any abilities whatsoever outside of the basic skills of a character currently requires GM permission.
> Owning any magical/unusual objects of any sort currently requires GM permission.
> GMs are slow to respond to PMs, sometimes simply not replying at all.
> GMs are often unresponsive to requests to talk in general.
> Repeated Gravity Errors are a sporadic problem for many players.
> Massive event fights utilizing many, many enemies in realtime, rather than as Roleplayed fights. (This is a weak point due to the incredible lag it causes)
> Some issues with GMs not understanding written English entirely (This may have been just me: I use a lot of odd words)

Overall, the problems that I see here are very, very fixable. It boils down to needing GMs to be active in making their own system work (or to said system being changed to where they don't need to be more responsive).

The server requiring as many permissions as it does, for example, would not be an issue if the GMs in charge of those permissions checked their PMs often and replied to them promptly and helpfully. In terms of keeping certain destructive kinds of roleplay down, I can fully understand why the permissions are needed. A better choice would probably be to respond to abuses such as power gaming *individually*, but this would require more GM effort than simply needing permission for anything non-standard. In this case however, every race but human is considered non-standard. There is a fairly hefty list of things you can be, if you play on the server for some period of time beforehand and get a GM to give you the go-ahead. I have had remarkably little luck getting responses to my PMs, so I am unsure how hard it actually is to get that permission. To me this comes across as fairly controlling and restrictive, rather than helpful. A couple of bad roleplayers can't destroy a server. This is by far the biggest turn-off for me.

Community wise, Advent is fantastic. People talk ICly, respond ICly, and are generally active ICly very nearly all the time. I love this. I especially love the lack of cliques that players have going. There are going to be some anywhere, but on Advent I've yet to find any really solid ones. It bears saying again: I adore the RP community that I've seen on Advent. The only flaw here comes in the form of some of the GM characters. The storyline of the server revolves rather heavily around the actions and decisions made by non-player individuals, which leaves me feeling more than a little marginalized. No, I don't expect to be important after a month or two. It would be nice not to feel totally expendable, though. Which is how it currently comes across. One character, played by the head GM, is actually immortal. He's also named after the head GM. This smacks heavily of a Mary-Sue to me, which is worrisome, but not terrifically important to how I feel about the server. The bottom line here is that a plot centered around the actions of player characters, not forced along by GM decisions, would make the server better.

Which way this server goes will probably depend a lot on how the GM team responds to criticism. If it's used as a springboard to make positive changes, Advent will be an amazing server. If it's ignored or called flaming... that response tends to speak for itself.

Tl;dr version: Advent has a lot of potential and a fun RP community. The GMs can be fairly inaccessible and unresponsive. Give it a try, see if you like it.

NB: I won't be quitting Advent anytime soon. This isn't a flame, or a hate note. It will probably be updated as my opinions change over time.
I'll stop posting when I'm dead.