Roleplaying Servers

Started by Tande, Dec 19, 2013, 02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tande

This is an incredibly niche server type, and from my knowledge there aren't many in existence for this reason.  I only ask because I'm currently developing one and want some input and to find some people who are interested in such a thing since the pool for players is ever dwindling.  A moderator is free to delete/move this topic if I'm a little offhand for placing it here, I wasn't entirely sure where to put it, though I figured it was generic enough to warrant 'Server Discussion'.

I suppose the topic is just as the subject says - roleplaying servers.  There's a lot of drama behind them, not saying writers are high strung or anything, but its just something that comes with the server type.  But at the same time there's a lot of good behind them, whether it be for the writing or just what sort of customization comes from them.  I find that most if not all servers in this category are really interesting in that certain aspect - customization and artistic points going above and beyond for what little population it entertains.

So here's some questions.  All are very opinion related!:

• What are some base requirements for a roleplaying server?  What makes it a roleplaying server?
  • What are some additives that would make it a better server?
  • What are the correct staff titles while lessening the chance of drama related to this?
  • What have servers done in the past that was wrong in this genre?  Whether it be what caused drama, or just wasn't in the stream of what was acceptable for this type of server?
http://www.agharta.info  Agharta Dev - for your mapping and scripting needs

http://www.project-deimos.com  Project Deimos - an upcoming roleplaying server.

PokemonRO

What are the base requirements?

Originality and details. In order for it to be a roleplaying server, it has to feel like a roleplaying server. If your idea is based off another well known concept, it better have inclusions of those features or customizations. Have a well written story line and guides that push you all the way through. When making your story line, use the quest log so players are updated and know exactly what they are doing next to continue.

What are some additives that would make it a better server?

Unique features and concepts are always attractive. In order to establish a better server, try to have things that others do not have. Try to avoid confusing customizations and features, make it as simple as possible to understand and accomplish.

What are the correct staff titles while lessening the chance of drama related to this?

In my opinion, staff should be very limited and at most just helpers to answer questions. Try to create a server that is self sustaining with minimal moderation and allow the player to progress through it themselves. They should not intervene or be part of the gameplay. To do this, have few staff members, very specialized roles, and keep the activity to a minimal.

What have servers done in the past that was wrong?

Moved away from their original idea and started doing things that people suggested. If your vision and ideas is how you pictured it to be, don't let others change the way you create it. While it is good to listen to suggestions and consider them, don't let it affect the big scheme of things. Little things can wreck and ruin a server, try not to stray away from the original concept and goal it is trying to achieve.

Ceibhfhionn

*What are some base requirements for a roleplaying server?  What makes it a roleplaying server?

Like the above poster, having a storyline. Don't get me wrong, give your players freedom and don't control the direction
of their character and development, don't restrict them too much, etc. But give them a world to start with so they don't feel like they're being thrown headfirst into something unknown. Easier said than done, I guess. Comprehensible lore is a must, but that again is obvious.

*What are some additives that would make it a better server?
Customs, man. Custom hair, custom hats, custom classes, custom mounts. Give the b**** some customs. b**** love customs. Make them neat though, and not those ugly as hell NERUDO AKATSUKI GM COSTUM!!!!! That looks like it was made in MSP. No offense to anyone who likes it.

*What are the correct staff titles while lessening the chance of drama related to this?
Straightforward titles. If someone is in charge of the lore, call them something like "Lore GM" or something catchier. Staff purely in charge of game mechanics? "Game Mechanics GM" . I have s*** naming skills, but you probably get the point. Unrelated: Make sure everyone does their job, and only their job. Don't have the Purely Tech GM try to meddle in the storyline if s/he doesn't know what's what.

*What have servers done in the past that was wrong in this genre?  Whether it be what caused drama, or just wasn't in the stream of what was acceptable for this type of server?
So many things kill RP servers. The deadliest of them:

1.) Lack of dedication from the staff:
Be sure you're willing to work. I'm not comparing running a server (specifically an RP server, where people aren't content only with hours of grinding, hunting, and WoE/PvP-ing..) to breaking rocks in the blazing heat with a marshmallow, but it's still pretty darn hard. So much
effort is put into a good server of any kind, but I daresay more into an RP server. Thinking up fun quests, a storyline that isn't cliche, etc..
A lot of brainstorming, thinking, and creativity will be needed.

2.) Learn how to take criticism:
You can't please everyone. A plot that you might have been toiling over for weeks or months, your magnum opus, the storyline of all storylines that you're just so darn proud of might seem like the dumbest thing to another person. Some will love it, some will hate it. You're going to have to deal with that and not lose your s*** every time someone disagrees with you or downright b**** at you. Now don't let them walk all over you. It's your server, and if they're being s***, then by all means ban them. But respect the fact that people have opinions that might conflict with yours. Be open to their suggestions, and actually think things over before shutting them down completely.

3.) Be open to suggestions, but stay true to your lore:
This will be a brief one. PokemonRO is right when s/he says that you should keep to your idea and don't let everyone throw their ideas over yours. However, sometimes there are some ideas that just aren't so bad!
On the flip side of this coin, don't throw in every new glittering idea you come across. E.G. It would be weird to suddenly throw in some lightsabers in a Middle Earth RP. Dumb example, sorry. And if someone is wanting to bring lightsabers into a Middle Earth RP, slap the tits off of them.

4.) Don't restrict your playerbase:
Make sure they keep to your rules and stay true to whatever lore you put down. This is your server, and if they hate it then they can leave. But don't monitor every little thing they do. Give them freedom, make their own little personal plots, develop their own stories, and make their own little niche in the world without having someone breathing down their neck. Don't shape their creativity for them.
Most of all, don't make them feel like they have to get approval and confirmation for everything. Some things are inevitable, but minimize it. They're not dumb, usually. They can read, most of the time.

You can tell a lot of this is repetitive in the way that it deals with player interaction, but that's just it. Keep your community happy and alive!
Best of luck!