Nova termination of service

Started by gravityhater, Jun 26, 2023, 08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gravityhater

Nova

Today at 3:24 PM
Dear NovaRO Players, we regret to inform you that NovaRO will be closing down on July 4, 2023.
NovaRO has been subject to a lawsuit alleging that we operated an illegal server and distributed an infringing "Ragnarok Online" without license or permission from Gravity.
Pursuant to a settlement, NovaRO agreed to cease operations of the game and community, including but not limited to Discord servers and the Forum.
We want to thank each of every one of you for your support over the years. This has been an incredible journey and we could not have done it without you.
We are deeply sorry that we could not do more to keep the server running and hope that the relationships you have built in this game persist.
We know many of you will miss your characters nearly as much as we will miss this project, and we truly wish we could keep this from happening.

Also posted in their main site

Shuchou

Well that sucks, couldn't they just reopen under a different name WITHOUT AN LLC/company name  /heh

iMissDecentServers

Seiren and Boreas from TalonTales must be shïtting bricks right now /heh Wouldn't surprise me if they make a sudden final cash grab just to shut down their server 2 days later without any notice like they did when Gravity first started going after illegal servers

While some (most?) servers does deserve such fate, it's sad that this likely means the end of RO private servers, or at least when talking about stability.

Gonna miss this game as there's nothing anywhere as close as it.

Lemon

Bittersweet news for many. Every server owner (or at least most of them) want to take down big names like NovaRO, so this is good news for them.
At the same time it's bad news for the ro community, even if we all knew this was going to happen sooner or later.

Whether we like it or not Gravity is right and NovaRO stepped over the line. We have a say in spanish that goes something like "if you pull the thread too much it will break" and this is what happened here. Neither the community nor they deserved this but at the end of the day it is Gravity's IP and all of us (private servers/players) are on borrowed time, it's our responsibility to make sure we don't poke the bear too much.

Sadly p2w servers with aggressive monetization keep popping up and players keep playing them. I wish Gravity went against those servers and let the ones like Origins exist in peace.

Anyway, just me venting about how f*** up most ro players are and how they keep playing those s*** cash grab copy/paste servers.

I hope the NovaRO team finds new projects they are passionate about, after all the quality of their work at NovaRO was amazing, even tho I didn't play it (sorry, I hate renewal).

Edit to clarify because I got a few angry messages on Discord: I'm sad and angry that NovaRO was taken down even though I didn't agree with some of the stuff they did. I'm against Gravity on this matter but that doesn't mean I agree with all the private servers/players, after all one of the main problems with the Ragnarok scene is players feeding all those effortless copypaste p2w servers.

Shuchou

Welp, there's going to be 5k+ RO players servers hoping for a bit. Best of luck to them  /lv

Najara

Quote from: Shuchou on Jun 26, 2023, 08:42 PM
Well that sucks, couldn't they just reopen under a different name WITHOUT AN LLC/company name  /heh

The server owners that think this is a solution need a reality check. Just because you take away or replace a part of the original game/brand name, doesn't mean running a private server is suddenly legal. Sure, the server might become slightly more difficult to find, but in truth? It only takes one person with malicious intent (either from in- or outside of the server) to inform Gravity of the server's existence and they're going to learn the hard way that all the rebranding was for nothing.

The big servers that remain open are playing with fire. Glad my companion/co-admin and I made the painful yet rightful decision to close down our server in 2022.

Back on topic: Nevertheless, very sad news. I never played NovaRO, but the few encounters I had with Nova had all been very friendly, pleasant (and in some cases helpful) conversations. I hope their team sticks together, perhaps even develop an entirely new software product/game on their own. You can tell by the longevity and population that the staff put a tremendous amount of work and passion into their project. Would be a shame to see such dedication go to waste.

Nova

Just remake the server in Russia or something.
I am not associated with NovaRO.

Kodiac

/hmm I wish people would pm me where everyone is going to go now. but alas.

Shuchou

Quote from: Najara on Jun 28, 2023, 04:35 AM
The server owners that think this is a solution need a reality check. Just because you take away or replace a part of the original game/brand name, doesn't mean running a private server is suddenly legal. Sure, the server might become slightly more difficult to find, but in truth? It only takes one person with malicious intent (either from in- or outside of the server) to inform Gravity of the server's existence and they're going to learn the hard way that all the rebranding was for nothing.

Then to that logic everyone that plays on a private server would need a 'reality check' as playing on said servers is against most countries laws, no one ever said rebranding would make it legal....

iMissDecentServers

Let's hope Gravity primarily focus on those heavily monetized servers such as Nova, Talon and some others while going slower against passionate projects running for no profit. Ideal scenario I'd say.

It's juicy to watch and long overdue Gravity going after such dirty servers though, nobody can deny that. Those servers and their Admins are such a negative aspect of the RO community.

Lunalepsy

boteki2

Quote from: iMissDecentServers on Jun 29, 2023, 08:14 PMLet's hope Gravity primarily focus on those heavily monetized servers such as Nova, Talon and some others while going slower against passionate projects running for no profit. Ideal scenario I'd say.

It's juicy to watch and long overdue Gravity going after such dirty servers though, nobody can deny that. Those servers and their Admins are such a negative aspect of the RO community.

While it is understandable that there may be concerns about servers that heavily monetize the game and potentially detract from the overall experience, it is important to approach the topic with fairness and respect for the diverse range of servers and communities within the Ragnarok Online community.

Blinzer

Quote from: boteki2 on Oct 18, 2023, 10:59 PMWhile it is understandable that there may be concerns about servers that heavily monetize the game and potentially detract from the overall experience, it is important to approach the topic with fairness and respect for the diverse range of servers and communities within the Ragnarok Online community.

you don't even know the meaning of the words fairness and respect.

2k2

Quote from: Blinzer on Oct 19, 2023, 01:41 PMyou don't even know the meaning of the words fairness and respect.
boteki2 and bambao2 are bots. 🤦
Find me here:

yC

Quote from: 2k2 on Oct 19, 2023, 06:11 PMboteki2 and bambao2 are bots. 🤦

Thanks for pointing out bambao2, I totally missed it for some reason.  For boteki2, the reply do look like a bot but I can't find any link in the post.  If there is any follow up or other bots spotted, please report them to me (report the post / let me know in discord / pm me).

As for Nova, much respect to him and his team for the effort put into running his server.  RIP.