If you are to change a mechanic of Ragnarok?

Started by Neffletics, Feb 13, 2016, 12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neffletics

If you are to change one mechanic of Ragnarok Online? What would it be and why?

(Me and my friend were discussing this for a week now  /heh)
solacero rip

Playtester

If we are talking about renewal I'd list of bunch of reverts they should do (if I had to pick one I'd say completely remake mob database so that harder mobs are more rewarding again and remove any exp level penalties).

If we are talking about change something that RO never did correctly... I'd say fix the position lag bugs.

Minabe

Doing Tripper's job.

Neffletics

Quote from: Playtester on Feb 13, 2016, 01:44 PM
If we are talking about renewal I'd list of bunch of reverts they should do (if I had to pick one I'd say completely remake mob database so that harder mobs are more rewarding again and remove any exp level penalties).

True. In iRO, 1 Genetic can solo everything (mostly).

Quote from: Playtester on Feb 13, 2016, 01:44 PM
If we are talking about change something that RO never did correctly... I'd say fix the position lag bugs.

I totally agree with you. By the way, I'd like to thank you for helping rAthena fix this position lag bugs.I saw your report and I am still hoping that someday it'll get fixed.

Quote from: Minabe on Feb 13, 2016, 01:55 PM
That's an easy one, the economy system. It's pretty much like capitalism, banks can print an infinite amount of money but as time goes on that same money keeps on changing value. So those who started first have the advantage of making money and using it at it's higher value, making a few of those hoard as much as they can only to later complain that there's too much around and their money has lost it's value, so those with money (and acquisition power) complain until those in charge do something to "stabilize" it, nerfing future hoarders but letting those before it keep it all, maintaining the same group of hoarders who simply lobby their way through the game.

This happened on GGRO where hoarders spent weeks with sleepers only to nerf them, as well as nerfing all other kinds of money making. Just so happens the ppl who complained about the economy going downhill where the same ppl who herd money, as well as the same ppl who backed the nerf.

I think the best way is not to nerf the items but to add another item that will counter the effects of the previous one, making the previous item weaker. People will be buying the new item for sure while the price of the old item will keep on dropping.

Quote from: Minabe on Feb 13, 2016, 01:55 PM
P.S: Playtester i think those are features, though idk what Neffletics really meant with "mechanic". The position lag would be a game mechanic but idk how that works nor if it could even be changed, it would certainly be the best mechanic improvement in the game.

I am blaming Samsung for this position lag bugs  /heh If only Kim Hakkyu didn't resign as the CTO (at least), they could've fixed these stupid bugs. (as well as the annoying latency spikes)
solacero rip

Blinzer

Cell lag on the client. Cell lag on the client. Cell lag on the client. Cell lag on the client. Cell lag on the client. Cell lag on the client.

Edit: looks like playtester beat me to the punch.

Seriously, this is any great ragnarok player's greatest advantage and also demise. It allows a really good player to beat people through knowledge of the game because they know how to fully control position lag, but also causes them to die in other situations. A champion for example, after casting dangerous soul collect and being interrupted cannot do anything until he walks. Using a skid trap on a champion who is stuck in this(or getting a champion stuck in this after skidding them) can get them out of pneuma and lock them in place without them being able to do anything but pot until they die, and it won't show them in the position they actually are, so they wouldn't even have a visual que for when they unlocked themselves from being stuck(so they can relocate under the pneuma again). It creates an interesting skillcap to the game no other game has, but it's not a user friendly mechanic.

If we put ourselves in the champion's shoes, this can be applied over all of PvM. You can cancel hitlock by clicking at a sweetspot time after being hit, and as long as it's only basic attacks, it doesn't matter how many things are hitting you(skills are different and in a vanilla server, actually cause you to be hitlocked for a certain amount of time based on the amount of hits). However, you will not get a visual queue of you doing it correctly: either you do it correctly and about 0.3 seconds later you teleport like 4 cells away, or you just continue to stand there wondering if you did it right. If you're being hit as you fade away, you also need to do multiple hitlock cancels, which can complicate the visual stuff further. Your sprite may look out of range for the monster to be hitting you, but the monster is still hitting you and you have to continue to time your clicks to cancel the hitlocks so you can get away.

I would say if someone wanted to steal every advantage they can get off people, they probably don't want it gone because it makes it really easy to kill mediocre players who don't have a mastery over the movement of the game.

Minabe

Doing Tripper's job.

Blinzer

Quote from: Minabe on Feb 13, 2016, 03:47 PM
I gotta say that while i hate it to some degree, it is something truly unique to RO. The Monk class certainly is the best example of it, it's easily noticeable and even takes advantage of it for skills (like the Occult Dance and in some servers Snap Dodge).
The occult dance works by moving just before the cast ends (doing the skill+moving at the same time), which also works with all other casting skills (including magic though for bolts each one procs the animation and seems to slow you down) so it is quite an important thing to master (for PvM mostly though). You can also see it when attacking with /noctrl, if you move the last attack happens at the same time you start moving (making it easier to kite with an archer).

I remember there was a command (@refresh) to avoid what you exemplified (champion vs sniper) but few servers have it.

You can cancel a lot more skills than investigate. bb dance, palm push sit cancel, magnum, pretty much any castable skill can be movement cancelled and save time. Sniper also has a particular cancel which other classes don't have which I have dubbed the true sight cancel, allowing to cancel the animation delays of arrow shower and other heavy animations and instantly act. The reason it only works for snipers is because your attack speed needs to be high enough for the global aspd delay of using a skill to be low, and only a sniper(and sometimes WS) can invest in high ASPD without paying the price.

When I see servers emphasizing how important it is to get rid of nodelay at all costs, it makes me laugh. Nodelay doesn't allow you to do anything you couldn't already do without it if you were good at the game, except maybe help you spam some skills if your server owner was stupid enough to make minimum global skill delay < 0.15 seconds. Of course, you wouldn't expect all of these scrublords who play now and use nodelay to know the real way to play the game. Animation cancelling is a lost art of legends of the past.

The One Piece is real.

AnimaRagnarokOnline

Lol nobody knows about animation cancelling in RO anymore. I mean they'll prefer the easy way out rather than playing on pure skill and knowledge of game mechanics.

--

OT:

Current meta with MVPs. They spawn randomly, which is bad. This makes "whoever found it first owns it". It would be better to have a constant spawn site where players can camp over it and kill it when it spawns, this gives chance to everyone rather than keeping it by pure luck. PVP should be enabled too during MVP raids or whatever its called to add more difficulty to MVPs. [ Note this is classic / pre-prenewal - I do not play  Renewal because it's just bad in my opinion ]

dreinor

hmmm.. instead of higher-tier class progression, i think it is best that more classes be added for class variation.. classes i really want to see in a server are:
1. Berserker
2. Necromancer
3. Death Knight
4. Shaman
5. Druid/Summoner
6. Kafra Class
7. Warrior
8. Jester/Gypsy
9. Super Novice with Bow Type Weapon
10. Hunter with dual daggers

btw, i'm into classic, low-rate setting..

AnimaRagnarokOnline

Quote from: dreinor on Feb 13, 2016, 11:03 PM
hmmm.. instead of higher-tier class progression, i think it is best that more classes be added for class variation.. classes i really want to see in a server are:
1. Berserker
2. Necromancer
3. Death Knight
4. Shaman
5. Druid/Summoner
6. Kafra Class
7. Warrior
8. Jester/Gypsy

Isn't Gypsy already in RO? Anyways, that Kafra class makes me shiver on what kind of skills they have. *Thinks about RBO (Ragnarok Battle Offline)*

I know someone in rA who has a working Necromancer Class and a few more custom classes at his disposal, however haven't gotten around to releasing it or whatnot.

I still vote for the renovation of MVP spawning, making it more competitive rather than "Oh hey, I'm the first one to see it, let's call my guild" kind of thing.

Neffletics

Quote from: dreinor on Feb 13, 2016, 11:03 PM

This is actually a good idea. I would love to see a super novice wielding bow and hunters who can really be HUNTERS. (in movies, a hunter can swiftly switch from bow to 2 daggers when his arrows are out and would still maintain his speed. Assassins can use a bow atm but damn, they do not have vulture's eyes  /heh)

Quote from: AnimaRagnarokOnline on Feb 13, 2016, 06:08 PM
Current meta with MVPs. They spawn randomly, which is bad. This makes "whoever found it first owns it". It would be better to have a constant spawn site where players can camp over it and kill it when it spawns, this gives chance to everyone rather than keeping it by pure luck. PVP should be enabled too during MVP raids or whatever its called to add more difficulty to MVPs. [ Note this is classic / pre-prenewal - I do not play  Renewal because it's just bad in my opinion ]

I honestly prefer the random spawning of MVPs because that's their territory. Because if it's statically spawning at the same spot in the same map, many people will just sit there the whole day and wait for the MVP to spawn.

solacero rip

dreinor

Quote from: Neffletics on Feb 13, 2016, 11:33 PM
This is actually a good idea. I would love to see a super novice wielding bow and hunters who can really be HUNTERS. (in movies, a hunter can swiftly switch from bow to 2 daggers when his arrows are out and would still maintain his speed. Assassins can use a bow atm but damn, they do not have vulture's eyes  /heh)

actually, i already have the sprites for the said class.. /heh it only needs a little finishing touch.. here are the samples..:D

super novice female bow

super novice male bow

sample of kafra class

i also have DD hunter sprite but only male sprite.. haven't finished the female sprite yet..

AnimaRagnarokOnline

Quote from: Neffletics on Feb 13, 2016, 11:33 PM

I honestly prefer the random spawning of MVPs because that's their territory. Because if it's statically spawning at the same spot in the same map, many people will just sit there the whole day and wait for the MVP to spawn.

The idea of statically spawning MVPs is basically what makes or breaks the game. No one can hoard the MVP to themselves. Camping MVPs? It's basically what RO needs! Turn on PVP during MVP respawns and it's pure enjoyment, maybe people will be crying here and there, but basically this makes MVP-ing more of a challenge and becomes a "guild-themed" activity rather than seeing 3~5 monks/champions going in, asura, tele away then pot then go to the boss spot again. Do you see my point why it has to change? At least in Classic or Pre-Re..

My soon server, hopefully: http://chaos.ryaku-gaming.net/#about

dreinor

Quote from: AnimaRagnarokOnline on Feb 13, 2016, 11:09 PM
Isn't Gypsy already in RO? Anyways, that Kafra class makes me shiver on what kind of skills they have. *Thinks about RBO (Ragnarok Battle Offline)*

I know someone in rA who has a working Necromancer Class and a few more custom classes at his disposal, however haven't gotten around to releasing it or whatnot.

I still vote for the renovation of MVP spawning, making it more competitive rather than "Oh hey, I'm the first one to see it, let's call my guild" kind of thing.

yeah.. but i want it to have a unique set of skills & become an expanded class.. not a progression of a class..:)

@MVP Spawning
yeah and also enable Emergency Call in MvP maps.. haha.. that would be a great feature..XD

Neffletics

Quote from: dreinor on Feb 13, 2016, 11:43 PM
actually, i already have the sprites for the said class.. /heh it only needs a little finishing touch.. here are the samples..:D

super novice female bow

super novice male bow

sample of kafra class

i also have DD hunter sprite but only male sprite.. haven't finished the female sprite yet..

Are you selling these? I am interested to buy them.

Quote from: AnimaRagnarokOnline on Feb 13, 2016, 11:46 PM
The idea of statically spawning MVPs is basically what makes or breaks the game. No one can hoard the MVP to themselves. Camping MVPs? It's basically what RO needs! Turn on PVP during MVP respawns and it's pure enjoyment, maybe people will be crying here and there, but basically this makes MVP-ing more of a challenge and becomes a "guild-themed" activity rather than seeing 3~5 monks/champions going in, asura, tele away then pot then go to the boss spot again. Do you see my point why it has to change? At least in Classic or Pre-Re..

My soon server, hopefully: http://chaos.ryaku-gaming.net/#about

I see and I totally understand your point. I used to play in pRO's PK Server (Valkyrie) where PK is enabled on MVP maps. The disadvantage for this feature is that some trolls are staying there to kill newbies. If only they've made it this way where PVP only enables when an MVP has spawned, it could've been more fun.

Quote from: dreinor on Feb 13, 2016, 11:52 PM
@MVP Spawning
yeah and also enable Emergency Call in MvP maps.. haha.. that would be a great feature..XD

Emergency call should be enabled at any map (imo). Not all guilds are participating WoE, some of them are just focusing on hunting down MVPs.

Quote from: dreinor on Feb 13, 2016, 11:52 PM
yeah.. but i want it to have a unique set of skills & become an expanded class.. not a progression of a class..:)

Please give us more details about this. I am very interested.
solacero rip