AnimaRO - Great server or GREATEST server?

Started by AxeGunner, Jul 11, 2007, 03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMontgomery

Quote from: AxeGunner on Jul 15, 2007, 10:01 PM
What the hell kind of conspiracy are you trying to say.  I have no affiliation with the AnimaRO staff, aside from talking with Gene.  He DID post that, whether you and your conspirators say so.  Seriously, where are you getting your facts from? 
I would like a legitimate source as well, not some quote from the middle of nowhere that you wont link, or claim it to be general knowledge.

Stunt?  No.  I'd just like people who come here to stop believing you conspirators who have something or another against AnimaRO.  Claim your theories as you may, 1,100+ that are generally on at any given moment speak for itself.  If there was REALLY some conspiracy, I'm sure the general public is smart enough to figure that something is up.  Or do you have some sort of secret connection with Harken, who is relaying all of this information to you?

No secret connections and no conspiracy that I know of.

My past visits to Patrick and Nick's 3 bedroom apartment located in Beaverton Oregon have given me enough familiarity with the two of them to know who is behind the Xennith posts.

Slaw

Quote from: Xennith on Jul 16, 2007, 12:34 AM
Quote from: Xennith on Jul 15, 2007, 06:45 PM
If these cards are so unbalanced that it's not OK for lots of players to have them, how is it OK for only a few players to have them, who then have free reign over the rest of the server?

Once again you have chosen to ignore the point of my post in an effort to show how superior of a person you see yourself as, and I'd appreciate it if you'd answer my question.

Let me try to answer that question. Yes, MVP cards are an unfair advantage on pretty much any server where they exist, but they are in no way balance breaking. Sure a player with a Golden Thief Bug card would be pretty damn strong against spell users, but keep in mind that it boosts your SP usage by one hell of alot, and there are ways to counter it. The same goes for pretty much any MVP card, except the ones that aren't that strong. I highly doubt one MVP card on a "normal" server without donation items would ruin the ingame balance. Take this example:

One of the best cards ingame, IMO, would be the Ghostring card. Especially on low rates. However, it's pretty hard to actually get. Not as hard as a MVP card, but not too far away either. On two now-dead servers, LunarisRO and HopeRO, there was a couple of Ghostring cards floating around, like on most servers. Sure, the players with those cards were strong, but far from superior to the others. And even if they were among the top tier players, it wasn't because of the cards themselves, but the way they played, having the patience to farm those low percentage rare mob drops, instead of just getting the basic gears like most players do.

If you look at the cards that way, you'd probably think that everyone having them wouldn't be a problem. But that's like saying everyone should have Sleipnirs, Megingjards, Kaho's, and so on. Those items, even though they're not strong enough to actually ruin the game's balance, do cause one serious problem if they're too easily obtained; They remove the possibility of versatility ingame. Why would anyone take the time to hunt the ingredients for a Feathered Beret, when you can spend 20 bucks and get a LKH that looks like one?

The same goes for cards. Why the hell would I put in a, let's say Evil Druid card, in my armor, when I can just spend some money and get a Ghostring or Tao Gunka card instead? Why would I waste my time swapping between different weapons depending on my situation when I've got my Phreeoni, Turtle General, Turtle General, Thanatos slotted weapon? Making MVP cards and rare items so easily obtainable pretty much destroys any point in using most of the other cards, making PvP and WoE dull, due to everyone of the same class having the exact same cards and gears.

And then there's the issue of people not being able to donate. Some of us are just poor/underage, and must spend the little money we have on other things, hence we can't buy our way into a good character. I think it gives "rich" people an unfair advantage, that shouldn't present itself in a game made for people to have fun in.

I also believe, as you've probably already realized by reading the rest of this post, that the players actually putting down the time and effort hunting these rare mob drops should be the ones ending up strong. Not the ones who can spend the most of their allowance on ingame items. Oh, and yeah, then there's the chance factor. Of course, a 0,01% drop won't just come to you because you hunt it. But seriously, as any low rate player would know, you will get that damned card if you just keep going. The drop rate is not so low it's completely up to chance, a player who does hunt the thing for a few weeks or months does have a pretty good chance of getting it.

I get the feeling I've missed something vital in this post, so you'll be looking forward to a nice edit when I figure out what it was. Thank you for reading. :>

Illisuun

Quote from: BMontgomery on Jul 16, 2007, 12:54 AM
No secret connections and no conspiracy that I know of.

My past visits to Patrick and Nick's 3 bedroom apartment located in Beaverton Oregon have given me enough familiarity with the two of them to know who is behind the Xennith posts.

Wait, did Harken also sneak onto Gene's MSN and talk to me about that post while he was writing it? I guess it was also Harken on Gene's account beforehand when I mentioned the RMS forums to him and indirectly lead to his posting here.

I think the more likely story is that you don't know what you are talking about.

Quote from: Slaw on Jul 16, 2007, 01:00 AM
The same goes for cards. Why the hell would I put in a, let's say Evil Druid card, in my armor, when I can just spend some money and get a Ghostring or Tao Gunka card instead? Why would I waste my time swapping between different weapons depending on my situation when I've got my Phreeoni, Turtle General, Turtle General, Thanatos slotted weapon? Making MVP cards and rare items so easily obtainable pretty much destroys any point in using most of the other cards, making PvP and WoE dull, due to everyone of the same class having the exact same cards and gears.

We do suffer from issues like these to some small degree. It's viable to become a cookie cutter character with 1 set of gear by donating and then go into pvp and do at least decently. It doesn't completely limit the incentive to gear switch, though. I personally am a level 99 champion on the server, considered by at least a few to be the best there, and I have access to a large amount of the best gear in the game. I run multiple weapons, despite the fact that I have access to a custom super quest fist slotted with two turtle general cards and a hydra that has stats and damage output that no other weapon can touch for me, and a built in element to boot. And to take your question quite specifically, I have both a ghostring and tao gunka card on my hotkeys, and yet I still have an evil druid there (that gets pretty frequent use) as well. In fact, in total I have so many gear switches (some double digit number total) that I have trouble finding room on my hotbar for them. I personally like this, because it rewards technical execution in player versus player environments instead of farming prowess.

Illisuun

Quote from: Transcend on Jul 16, 2007, 12:15 PM
Quote from: Illisuun on Jul 16, 2007, 02:41 AM
I personally like this, because it rewards technical execution in player versus player environments instead of farming prowess.
Now those are the scum of RO players :)

What? The scum of RO players prefer having to be good at the game instead of just putting more hours into farming to be the best? Count me first and foremost among the scum, then.

AxeGunner

Quote from: Transcend on Jul 16, 2007, 02:09 PM
Nope.Unless you farm you won t get adapted to your skills and class therefore you are a bad player or a robot
For IE: A good monk would use all of his skills and move around and wouldn t need even a pot,he will keep his range,he knows when he will die and when is the good time to atack.and when to use asura :)
an animaro monk does
Box of thunder,runs to the enemmy ASURA if the asura kills the enemy then yay if not he dies :D
Last time I checked, I can farm playing with my feet.  There's no skill involved, just long, repetitive processes.
His name was [deXter], not dexter.

:(

Pandora

Quote from: Xennith on Jul 15, 2007, 06:45 PM
If these cards are so unbalanced that it's not OK for lots of players to have them, how is it OK for only a few players to have them, who then have free reign over the rest of the server?
I run a small low rate server, it's been opened for well over a year. We don't offer MVP cards for donation, there are currently 5 MVP cards and altough they give an advantage to the lucky player who spent hours and hours hunting them, they don't make them gods, they don't "reign" over the server for it. Perhaps in 1vs1 PVP this holds more value, but certainly not in WOE. The person with MVP card might be a little bit harder to kill or attack faster/better but they can still be taken down with good tactic, the right class or just sheer number of opponent. A few player with 1 MVP card is still balanced, people come to know who these people are and find ways to counter them.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

Illisuun

Quote from: Transcend on Jul 16, 2007, 02:09 PM
Nope.Unless you farm you won t get adapted to your skills and class therefore you are a bad player or a robot
For IE: A good monk would use all of his skills and move around and wouldn t need even a pot,he will keep his range,he knows when he will die and when is the good time to atack.and when to use asura :)
an animaro monk does
Box of thunder,runs to the enemmy ASURA if the asura kills the enemy then yay if not he dies :D

There are no boxes of thunder on the server. And I was dueling the other champ considered to be the best on the server in pvp just the other day. Let me explain to you how it worked. We both weapon switched to quad marina maces a lot, forcing the other to either risk the quit 1-hit with asura if they armor switched for freeze protection, or risk getting frozen and guaranteed 1-hit killed. We snapped all over the large arena, trying to keep the match at our own pace. I didn't have raging palm strike in my build, so most of the time when he resorted to RPS with quick TSS followups, I had to either pre-pneuma spots before RPS even landed me there or get hit instantly with a huge TSS, or I had to rapidly body relocate away to basically hit the reset button on our duel. In the mean time, if he froze, he'd put on Orc Lord armor, which would cause the match to be a draw if I followed up with a full force asura. So if he froze, I had to manage weapons and my SP so that I could be sure that I wouldn't die from the reflect, and I had to do it in the time before he unfroze, which isn't that incredibly long due to the relatively high mdef he was assuredly running. I used agi down and we both used absorb spirits to try to throw a wrench into each other's works. And through the whole thing, a single mistake on either side would cause the match to end almost instantaneously. Freeze was the most obvious way, but landing about 2 TSSes made it quite feasible for either of us to follow up with an Asura and get the kill without even proccing a status. Yet our matches almost all ran more than a few minutes, and some of them may have gotten up towards the double digit minute mark.

That's the sort of thing that happens in the true top tier on AnimaRO. I hightly doubt a single player on your server has to manage that many gears and skills to be successful on your server.

Slaw

You're all getting a bit too personal. Examples from servers are okay. Don't bash eachother though. Thank you.

Jayne Cobb

Quote from: Transcend on Jul 16, 2007, 04:14 PM
but since anima has +20all stat gear @_@!!!
i don't know if you were being sarcastic or not but anima doesn't have +20 gears
QuoteMy past visits to Patrick and Nick's 3 bedroom apartment located in Beaverton Oregon have given me enough familiarity with the two of them to know who is behind the Xennith posts.
is that supposed to make us believe you? don't make such wild claims, they make you less believable

Skotlex

Quote from: idnum2itemdesctable.txt
A special headgear created specifically for Lord Kaho... Whoever he is.
STR + 5 , INT + 5
VIT + 10 , AGI + 10
LUK + 20 , MDEF + 10
Class :^777777 Headgear^000000
Defense :^777777 5^000000
Equipped On :^777777 Upper^000000
Weight :^777777 10^000000
Applicable Job :^777777 Every Job^000000
Quote from: item_db.txt
5013,Horn_Of_Lord_Kaho,Lord Kaho's Horn,5,20,,100,,5,,0,0xFFFFFFFF,7,2,256,,0,1,99,{ bonus bMdef,10; bonus bStr,5; bonus bAgi,10; bonus bVit,10; bonus bInt,5; bonus bLuk,20; },{},{}

I have enjoyed the flaming and arguing and so on so far, but please, if you want to discuss stick to the facts and don't invent stuff up.

(RMS reviews)

Xennith

Actually, no, Transcend is correct. Our server does have a modified version of the Lord Kaho's Horns available in-game and through our donation-rewards system, and it does have those stats.
www.AnimaRO.com ~ Try out RMS' most controversial server!

Quote from: Alexander The Great
Nothing is impossible to he who tries.

sineas

Having MVP cards in way by donations is just wrong. It's bad enough that some players would resort in doing so... then all you have are lazy arsed players running around with juiced up cards and equips.

It doesn't mean that hosting a free game server gives you the right to exploit kids by way of donations. We do accept donations too in our server but we don't do it in a fashion that would exploit the players and the server. We don't go posting that the server costs this and that and it takes alot to maintain one. For cryin out loud... you do know that it takes time, effort and money to run a good server, so why cry and exploit people to donate??? If that's not corrupt... what is???

I may sound like a hypocrite but here's how we handle or implement donations towards our server:
QuoteAnyone who would like to donate is more than welcomed to do so.

RK-RO is a free online gaming service, so it does not self sustains the cost, it does not generate any monitary income. But if you want to help us pay the hosting fees, you are most welcomed to donate.

If you decide to donate, please read carefuly our donation policy presented below which states important points that need to be respected at all times.
Don't hesitate to prove me wrong, you can check out donation policy here... (btw, most section of our forum can be viewed by members only, I just making this park viewable to public for just this instance)

To exploit a free service by way of making money thru donations is wrong, wicked and corrupt. >:(
[color=red]RK-RO[/color] - 10k/10k/10k WILD WEST Inspired [color=red]TRUE[/color] Dedicated Server
Unmetered Bandwidth - [color=red]1000 Mbps[/color] ([color=red]1Gb[/color]) Port Uplink - 24/7/365

Cisco Public & Private 10G Networks - Security IDS/IPS/DDoS

Transcend

Nothing to say but
130$ Lord Kaho's Horns    top headgear, usable by all, +6 DEF, +20 STR/INT/DEX, +20 MDEF
from their donation page
and if u wanna disguise them 150$

Illisuun

Quote from: Transcend on Jul 16, 2007, 04:14 PM
Go ask about two guys in my serv
Gryphin + chaos and you will see what a "GOOD ro player" is @_@
I don't make the claim that I am a "Good ro player." I do however think that the speed of our pvp and the availability of items for gear switches increases the amount of precision with which one has to play to be at the top of the game.

orc lord card yeah as if @_@
I don't know what that's supposed to mean. I died to it once during our duels.

Also your duel is crapy,since a "QUICK TSS" does not realy exist but since anima has +20all stat gear @_@!!!

Actually, this is completely irrelevant to my point. It's very very easy to get TSS fast enough so that you can time it to land the instant RPS knockback procs.

Smyted

Without reading anything except "AnimaRO" in the title...
THE DAMN "NEW" ANIMARO SCREWED UP MY COMPUTER!!!!!!!, never again will i play the server!!!!!!