Project Alfheim is back

Started by bigx, Jun 16, 2023, 12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raynerrrrr

This server WAS good but not so much these days and that is a fact.

The multiclienting is not really an issue, but I guess it does cause some misdirection. You do see 100+ online but it feels like only 15 people are active  /heh

iixe

A simple change in live login counter that considers only unique IPs would help against that. Not that it would matter anyway..
Also not sure why someone brings the multi client topic in here again. It is literally the dumbest point possible and far off from the actual problem the server has. Not everything is solved by forcing certain people to interact with each other. In fact that can be even worsen situations by alot.

charlielovesu

Quote from: bigx on Feb 10, 2024, 10:23 AMNo one is saying that dev work isn't complicated, I'm an engineer myself and wouldnt dare touch RO code. This is about managing expectations and your development roadmap. The server bled population while waiting for this patch and you know it. I hate to play backseat dev but even releasing content in smaller patches (if possible) would've been better than a 6+ month black hole in content.

already stated that yes I was bad at setting expectations due to lack of experience. Alfheim is my first foray into game dev in general or anything of this nature. I own that I definitely am/was terrible at judging how long something would take. In my defense though, all content before Old Glast Heim only took me 3 months at most on the high end and that was only because we ran into client issues that we didn't expect right before release. You just don't realize the scope of what you have planned until you start getting into the nitty gritty of the development. I truly had no idea how painfully slow and tedious doing custom sprites/mobs/maps would be until I did it.

Also, people have a weird perception that because a patch may appear large in the patch notes than it could have been "cut down" and "split up" but the reality is the major patches are usually one thing only that is the central focus.

We have two devs, myself and Ken who work on the server. Ken has limited time but does a lot of the heavy lifting on some of the crazier things we implement. While waiting for him to finish his projects I don't sit on my donkey and will often just continue to add to the updates either through quality of life, or more content that doesn't require Ken to work anymore simply because why not? I might as well try to give the players more rather than do nothing.

It's really just a fundamental misunderstanding of how we have to work given that our dev team is only two people. I'm just not sure what people really expect. Gravity's own updates were sometimes years apart between tiny updates that only released one dungeon.

I'll also say that the black hole in content really isn't what killed the player base. That's also a misconception. The problem was that we literally had to hide the server and had no downloads available, were not on RMS, and people didn't even really know we existed outside of word of mouth. That we maintained 1k+ players for as long a we did is remarkable.

The more recent drop is mostly due to a combination of other issues with the server gameplay wise, and drama between guilds in WOE, mostly perpetuated by delusional players who try to distort reality and review bomb us because they hate a particular person. (hi cat)

bigx

You're right - I don't know what's involved with running a server. I'm just a player who's consumed your product and is giving feedback to the best of my ability.

Hopefully more folks find the server because it's a ton of fun, just needs to find some spring again.

Xellie

I just hope the lower population now is temporary, a rebuilding of the community after some of the bad.

I've already seen people coming back, so it's a positive sign.
Quote from: Aurus on Feb 13, 2024, 07:44 PMp.s. you are such a bad and toxic player I hope to never see you or your guild again

TuckerCarlson

It really depends on what the community looks like.  /lv

Why was nothing done about the cheaters using sickpot?

bigx

Ah the classic tactic of: "I'm losing so my opponent must be using cheat tools". No one is out here using sickpot, RO ain't that serious.

TuckerCarlson

Quote from: iixe on Feb 10, 2024, 05:18 AMSo as an example, boosting treasure chests with consumables for our beloved sickpo- excuse me, weekend warriors was your own idea entirely?

It's not just iixe who mentioned cheat tools. More than half of the people who played WoE believe there were sickpot users. I find it strange that so many adults would simply lie just because they lost in a video game.

Here's footage of the last WoE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2O_QtO1pD0&ab_channel=VicarsVideos

bigx

Sour grapes.  /kis2

It must suck to coordinate a 2v1 push with your rival just to fall flat (twice), so I understand how cheat allegations would be a coping mechanism.

charlielovesu

Quote from: TuckerCarlson on Feb 13, 2024, 06:51 AMIt really depends on what the community looks like.  /lv

Why was nothing done about the cheaters using sickpot?

If you have serious concerns or issues with the server (such as cheating allegations) please try to direct them to discord. RMS is about reviewing servers, not using this thread to answer questions about the server. Only responded to clarify some of the misconceptions going around since I feel a lot of them are harmful to the server.

Xellie

Quote from: bigx on Feb 13, 2024, 08:49 AMSour grapes.  /kis2

It must suck to coordinate a 2v1 push with your rival just to fall flat (twice), so I understand how cheat allegations would be a coping mechanism.

Quote from: TuckerCarlson on Feb 13, 2024, 08:38 AMIt's not just iixe who mentioned cheat tools. More than half of the people who played WoE believe there were sickpot users. I find it strange that so many adults would simply lie just because they lost in a video game.

Here's footage of the last WoE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2O_QtO1pD0&ab_channel=VicarsVideos

Here's footage of the last woe from a participant on your side, not a spectator:

https://youtu.be/JrwpHxTnuQM

Pay extra special attention to the MLG pro targeting of speed potting and snapping champs from off-screen, the superb accuracy of finding the prof under a stack invisible, the way the cursor snaps to and from targets in the second half, the amazingly accurate 10% ish HP potting and the clown bypassing weapon switching delays through the whole thing.

The audio says a lot too <3 If your performance was so great, where are your own videos? What are you hiding? Surely such a woe would be something you'd post footage of and be proud of! Did you get banned? What is going on!?

Thank you for the footage and good night.

Nothing against Charlie, by the way, people will slip through the cracks from time to time, but the real problem with the community isn't that tools need tools, it's the behaviour.

Drama is a debate over GTB ownership.

Drama is not following people around in-game and in discord, spreading lies and rumours, insulting them, etc. That's harassment and bullying and bless that Charlie and his team are cracking down.

Notice who disappeared! Not the people or guilds being targeted, but the ones involved with the review bombing and even the crappy comments here. It's funny to go around Twitch and YouTube and RMS and Discord saying one guild destroyed the server when they're not the ones trying to destroy the server!

Charlie will probably yell at me for saying this, but good riddance to bad eggs. The server is nicer without all this bull happening and it'll continue to get nicer.

I'll write a proper review later, I have my beefs with Alfheim (many of them!), but it ain't this.

Quote from: Aurus on Feb 13, 2024, 07:44 PMp.s. you are such a bad and toxic player I hope to never see you or your guild again

wowzers

Quote from: Xellie on Feb 13, 2024, 06:39 PMHere's footage of last woe

Pay extra special attention to the MLG pro targeting of speed potting and snapping champs from off-screen, the superb accuracy of finding the prof under a stack invisible, the way the cursor snaps to and from targets in the second half, the amazingly accurate 10% ish HP potting and the clown bypassing weapon switching delays through the whole thing.

The audio says a lot too <3

Nothing against Charlie, by the way, people will slip through the cracks from time to time, but the real problem with the community isn't that tools need tools, it's the behaviour.

Drama is not following people around in-game and in discord, spreading lies and rumours, insulting them, etc. That's harassment and bullying and bless that Charlie and his team are cracking down.

Notice who disappeared! Not the people or guilds being targeted, but the ones involved with the review bombing and even the crappy comments here. It's funny to go around Twitch and YouTube and RMS and Discord saying one guild destroyed the server when they're not the ones trying to destroy the server!

Charlie will probably yell at me for saying this, but good riddance to bad eggs. The server is nicer without all this bull happening and it'll continue to get nicer.

I'll write a proper review later, I have my beefs with Alfheim (many of them!), but it ain't this.

nigga is this what being 40 years old and not working a day of a 9-5 job does to a mf

fwiw guilds who left PA including Nitro who also accused them of cheating left cause it's boring as s*** nowadays. Get off ya high horse as if you and your guild were the true saviors of PA or something, there's nothing to do in this server for now. There's not enough people to run OGH aside from Serenity, there's literal nothing and it's not cause charlie told us to leave, it's simply cause we decided to leave

bigx

Quote from: Xellie on Feb 13, 2024, 06:39 PMHere's footage of the last woe from a participant on your side, not a spectator:

The audio says a lot too <3 If your performance was so great, where are your own videos? What are you hiding? Surely such a woe would be something you'd post footage of and be proud of! Did you get banned? What is going on!?

Are you available for harvest season? I have more cherries for you to pick.

Please come back when you have some hard evidence, these baseless allegations are unbecoming of a 20 year WoE veteran.

Regarding our own videos, our DD wizard dropped a video immediately after WoE. Please feel free to review.

Xellie

Quote from: wowzers on Feb 13, 2024, 06:54 PMnigga is this what being 40 years old and not working a day of a 9-5 job does to a mf

fwiw guilds who left PA including Nitro who also accused them of cheating left cause it's boring as s*** nowadays. Get off ya high horse as if you and your guild were the true saviors of PA or something, there's nothing to do in this server for now. There's not enough people to run OGH aside from Serenity, there's literal nothing and it's not cause charlie told us to leave, it's simply cause we decided to leave

Nothing to do with telling everyone to leave and posting lies all over RMS and driving people away then? Of course you're bored.

But just because you are bored, doesn't mean the server is dead. Bye bye!

Aurus

Quote from: Xellie on Feb 13, 2024, 06:39 PMHere's footage of the last woe from a participant on your side, not a spectator:

You can enable Skill Snap in game options. So your mouse snaps to the target even in WoE

As for potting - you are just delusional

p.s. you are such a bad and toxic player I hope to never see you or your guild again