N00b needz halp (Choosing jobs)

Started by erufu, Jul 14, 2011, 04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erufu

Haha, I've always wanted to use a title like that...

Anyways, I just started this game yesterday and typically I like to make meat-head characters. Unfortunately, I have no idea which class to pick because I have no idea what troubles/skills I'll be going up against in the later game.

I've read through the forums on here and the official site and either can't understand what they are talking about or my questions weren't answered by the post, and my eyes kinda burn at this point so I turn to you guys.

What I'm wondering is: what classes are good MVP and PVM that don't die easily? Also, I don't tend to be a party-oriented player, although I would like to be useful in a party should I gain interest in one. I'm sure that I don't have much interest in PVP, unless it is ultimately unavoidable.

I hate grinding for items that skills require so I guess that rules out the assassin classes, but any grinding that involves equips is fine, so a class that requires that wouldn't be a problem. Another thing is I don't like having to juggle too many skills at once, or maybe that's just because I'm inexperienced at the moment. I also find keeping my distance from enemies a troublesome thing; I've never played an archer class, ever.

At this point it seems that Shura or one of the 3 rank swordsman jobs would be what I'm interested in. Although I wouldn't be too opposed to using MATK I prefer using brute strength, but hope there's a way to change one's job outfit, since Shura are so ugly, imho.
At this point I have no clue about builds, so I'm just going to focus on the bare bones until I choose a job and figure out the strengths and weaknesses of that particular class.
Thoughts?

Buckyx

for are best MVP sura/champion .. creator/ genetic

Vincentfx3

Shura is the best class for MVP as long as you're not against ghost MVP such as belzeebub, gloom under night, evil snake lord, etc...

It is also one of the best class for PVP. It can dodge magic and range attacks, block range attacks, move in and out of combat, 1 shot enemies and many many more overpowered tricks lol.

Good for PVM is ranger but it seems like you don't like it so I would recommend shadow chaser, rune knights, guillotine cross and royal guard. Shadow chaser is good for PVM because it has a lot of auto cast techniques though I'm not a fan of it. But if you're interested on it, you can search for shadow chser guides on google or iRO official forum.

Then of course, rune knight. It has the highest HP modifier so it won't go down easily. It can also handle a lot of mobs at the same time with its AoE skills. Very good for PVM specially hybrid type. It can also mount a dragon so you won't be walking slowly. Knight classes is also my favorite class since the day I started playing RO so if you want to know more about knights, I can help you there.

Now the guillotine cross. I know you already mentioned that you don't like grinding for items to use skills but you don't really have to grind for items if you're only just going to PVM. You don't need enchant deadly poison for PVM unless you're against MVPs. The thing is, GX can PVM well due to its high flee and good damage.

Then last but not the least, Royal Guard. It has the second highest HP. It can PVM well with its defensive skills and very self sufficient as it even have heal on its skill tree. However it lacks AoE skills to deal with massive mobs if you're still not an RG yet. Overbrand is also not so reliable. It's hard to use for some players. Even I sometimes miss with it. No it's not because of flee, I just failed using it lol.
Looking for a high rate server with official 3rd job level cap (150/50) and no donation items? Try ValhallaRO

http://valhallaro.webs.com/serverinformation.htm

erufu

Thanks for the replies, so far I've decided to make a RG, Shura and GX. Hopefully those will keep me alive enough to learn how to play so that I can join a decent server later cause so far no one so much as breathes a word on the newest branch of the official server. Although I got myself killed like an idiot by familiars when going to join the Thief guild and now I don't know how to get back. LOL

Buckyx

did you mean there is no server official like .. new mechanics, "balanced" classes, uptodate episode .. depends if you want iRO, kRO, jRO there are some servers

erufu

I mean that I'm playing the game from the playragnarok site, which I think is the official site. With all these other servers and game types I can get confused easily, although I do know the server that I play has Renewal which seems to be a difference in game content.
But it seems that you need to make a new character for each server you play so I'm probably going to stay where I am for now. On another note I got something called a Blank card from killing either a Drop or a Poring and I don't know what to do with it, from what I looked up you need to give it to someone in the Kafra headquarters and that gets you exp or a medal or something, which I don't know the good of that.

Vincentfx3

So are you playing on a server with 1/1/1 rates?

I suggest you play on high rate servers first to know more about the game because it's hard to screw up on low rates servers that doesn't have stat and skill reset NPC like most official servers. Trust me, it's disheartening to find out that you screw up somewhere and feel like you have to start over again on those kind of servers specially if you hit 80+ base level.

I started playing ragnarok on official servers and as a newbie that time, I did screw up on both my stats and skills so I have to start over and over again. Well anyway, I don't think you'll screw up as much as I did since there's a lot of guides and information about the game now.

There's only a few high rate private server with renewal mechanics though so you might have a hard time finding a test server for yourself.
Looking for a high rate server with official 3rd job level cap (150/50) and no donation items? Try ValhallaRO

http://valhallaro.webs.com/serverinformation.htm

Buckyx

yeah blank card drops from every monster you kill(dont know exact chance) if you wear Spare Card

i suggest you to check and ask there http://irowiki.org & http://forums.irowiki.org/

Ace

MvP Hunting Champion FTW! Can hunt MVP easily ^^