New Server Concept / Idea

Started by cesanz, Aug 04, 2023, 11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cesanz

Hey Guys! It's going to be a long post.

I Have playing for a long time, Pre-Renew, Renew, Zero, Custom Servers but you know when you have a idea and you wanna this idea to happen? *"But why don't you do this idea?"* I wish I had the commitment, I mean, after I saw Ornstein server (Project Return to Morroc) I saw how customise you can build a server, but I don't know, I'd like to have a master mind working with me, just to not be frustrated with any fail or bug that may (and will) happen. So if you like this idea and want to make it happen, bump me a message, and we talk bout it.

The idea is to rebuild Ro. *"Oh nice, another renewal"* yeah I know. But I think all of these server didn't had time to prepare and plan ahead.

**The Start**

Oh Ragnarok, when you started, everything was new. Maps, monsters, builds... And I want people to feel this again. I think we can bring all the content to EP 20, but we start with the classic. 2-2 classes, the OG maps, equips and all the flavour of that time. But I would like to do a revamp.

Having the client updated to the last episode would be nice to slowly adding new systems.

Exp Rates: nowadays, we have more things to do, we have a life outside and we know the grass is green outside. Therefore, the rate shouldn't feel like you taking tooo long to achieve 99, but at the same time, takes a time to get there. Remodel of the XP curve, monsters xp, xp quests may apply.

Drop Rates: one thing that I hate in RO it's dropping stuff. I know it's something that you gonna feel rewarded but I don't feel rewarded dropping the card of the monster and not the equipment. Neither spending 3h to drop an equip. I thought in 100% trash loot, 20% quest loot, 10% heal loot, 5% Equipment loot, 2.5% refine item and 1% card loot. Miniboss and Boss should have 1% for long-life quests and equipments drops.

Items: gonna divide them into 5 categories.

Trash Look: Zeny making only.

Heal: healing sucks in RO. Who never created 10 novices for the free potions? Yeaaay. I think that doesn't matter what we create, people are gonna spam the hell of it. So we made them useful but scarce. Healing over time, with %hp recovery, sp recovery, items to increase hit, flee, status protection, status recovery. Like giving a toolbox to the players and saying, use wisely.

Questing: Quest in RO always felt weird. Kill this, bring that, go there. And I know, RO is an old game and old games were like this. But wouldnt it be nice to have a Random NPC spawning in your map? With a global message to everybody on the map telling you where he is, then you talk to him, he gives a little bit of lore and tell what he needs then rewards you with heal item, zeny and etc for a short period of time. For Hat Quests, a fixed npc, for costumes, a seasonal to always refresh the looks from players. Dungeon quests with two options: Lore Oriented (receiving a meaningful reward) or Skip Quest and go directly to the dungeon.

Equipment: lower/mid tier equipments are poorly designed. Have you felt rewarded using a Wood Mail? I never. So why don't made them useful? Something like Wood Mail, x defense (that its actually something) defense against plant monsters, if STR > VIT, add x atk, if VIT > STR adds flat HP, if STR = VIT addt x/2 and flat HP/2. Only equips on Swordman.
See? It adds something. It can be used in some situations. We can add random stats such as HP/SP recovery increase, Defense, %DMG reduction. But always making sense, not giving Fish Dmg reduction for example.

Upper: more valuable but not so strong. Quests that help, but not take the challenge from leveling. Godly items? Yes, why not? Take here you Megingjord that gives you 5 STR but it has a f*** weight and makes you a lil bit slower. Elemental weapons for everyone with your friend Blacksmith. No Wizards, we didn't forget you, bring those woods, an rare orb and the element that you want. Oh man, you dropped a sick weapon from that MVP, but its like your old pal +7 Glaive.

Refine item: WE ARE NOT BREAKING ANYTHING HERE. Yes, never fails, it just comes back by 1 level. MVP drops items that prevents this from happening.

Cards: first of all. We gonna add USEFUL cards. Cards that impact on leveling, such as %dmg on certain skills,%cast reduced in x skill, %sp reduction on skills, more flee. Not 20% dmg and thats it, I want to create nice solutions to leveling.

Leveling: it's 2023, RO breathes thru machines. Party shouldn't be mandatory, and neither dual clients. I think the mercenary system was never well used. Going full str swordman? Sure take this Acolyte with Level 7 buffs and Level 5 Heal. Full support? Don't worry, our DPS mercenary are here for this. I want a content that can be played Solo till the end. Parties with 5 at max and a slightly exp increase. Killing monsters at you level range should give 2.5% xp while killing monster 10 levels above giving 7.5%. Balancing the XP numbers between the monsters of the same range level, dungeon monsters being stronger and giving more rewards. Between each 10 Levels, 3-4 fields 1-2 dungeons and a 1 "Fever" area. Again, giving the player options, and based on his tools, he chooses to go somethere or prepare to another place.

Stats: Revamp on them, aiming for more well distributed builds or full dmg glass canon. Lot of studies here, making everybuild will be worth doing with gears and planning.

WorldMap: I know that this system is janky af. But again, I don't know how hard is it to change. About moving, Kafra, you are back! But more useful! Kafras being able to send to other cities and some fields of this cities. Fly Wing will have a long cooldown, so we spread kafras thru some fields, not gonna make people  walk 10 maps and get killed for a random mob that they didn't know it was there.

Novice and novice training: revamp the training, doing something more pratical and giving more basic tools. Sage Skill Sense, Custom Skill Pound for little dmg, First Aid, Relax Skill from LK, Custom Skill Neutral Dmg. Training Grouds, Sprakki all of those, but not giving 400 potions.

Classes 1-1: Thiefs taking mushrooms from a farm, Acolyte searching for a Father, Merchant delivering stuff... oooh boy first we redo all quests to make more sense and be more rewarding in case you wanna do the quest. Skipping is an option without any reward. Some classes are kinda weird to level up.

Swordman: Go bash or go home. If you want to be a crusader, boy take AGES to level up. So we add more tools to fill this gap. Wanna be an agi knight? Okay, Two Hand Sword mastery, an agi+str scaling skill (Fast Swing) should get you covered. Oh, you gonna be a Lance Str Vit boy? We got you, use this Spear Mastery, this str + vit scaling skill with defense bypass (Poke). Oh, you're the meat shield? K bro, we gonna do it like this. 1h weapon mastery (lance being stronger but slowly than sword), an shield skill with vit scaling (Shield Bash), shield mastery giving more defense and stun status to Shield bash. Want more? Okay the GC Crusader, BB Knight.

What I want to give? Options. Build how you like, no skill requirements. I just imagine how hard it is to add these skills, create new icons, BALANCE them. But I want this variation you know? Every class being good in one point, but not being totally useless in another. I didn't wrote the full build for the others, but some ideas:

Acolyte: Full Support / Holy Dmg Dealer / Agi Skills / Int Skills / Str Skills (Has to have a BONK skill)

Thief: buff after hide / buff venom / double strafe / aspd buff increase but sacrifices flee / blind skill

Archer: double strafe / stun,blind int skill / party buff hit and flee skill / heal over time skill

Mage: 5 element skills (earth, wind, ice, fire, ghost), mastery on each bolt with 2 masteries at max (more dmg at max level) / sp recovery / energy coat / passive that increases aspd / free cast / auto bolt on attack (decreased dmg)

Merchant: agi skill / str skill / self buff aspd / axe mastery / throw lesser potions (heal, sp heal, heal over time, aspd increase, dmg reduction)

And to create and plan the 2-1 and 2-2 classes should be a whole new level.

Was a big text, I don't know if anyone will get excited to help me to do it, or I should try to do it alone, but I feel that if I had someone with more experience I could improve with more ideas and balances. Again, I just wanna a fun and md different server, where every class is viable. Thanks for you time if you read everything and sorry is theres any English mistake, not my main language.

Att, Cesa.

sate

I'm just trying to be direct and not disrespectful. Reading your post makes me wonder if you have the slightest idea about renewal RO.

QuoteExp Rates: nowadays, we have more things to do, we have a life outside and we know the grass is green outside. Therefore, the rate shouldn't feel like you taking tooo long to achieve 99, but at the same time, takes a time to get there. Remodel of the XP curve, monsters xp, xp quests may apply.
Uh, Eden quests? Hugel quests (Abyss 4), Magma 3 quests, Nifleheim Dungeon quests, etc etc etc.
QuoteRefine item: WE ARE NOT BREAKING ANYTHING HERE. Yes, never fails, it just comes back by 1 level. MVP drops items that prevents this from happening.
Blacksmith Blessing
QuoteCards: first of all. We gonna add USEFUL cards. Cards that impact on leveling, such as %dmg on certain skills,%cast reduced in x skill, %sp reduction on skills, more flee. Not 20% dmg and thats it, I want to create nice solutions to leveling.
Almost all renewal cards have these effects
QuoteSwordman: Go bash or go home. If you want to be a crusader, boy take AGES to level up. So we add more tools to fill this gap. Wanna be an agi knight? Okay, Two Hand Sword mastery, an agi+str scaling skill (Fast Swing) should get you covered. Oh, you gonna be a Lance Str Vit boy? We got you, use this Spear Mastery, this str + vit scaling skill with defense bypass (Poke). Oh, you're the meat shield? K bro, we gonna do it like this. 1h weapon mastery (lance being stronger but slowly than sword), an shield skill with vit scaling (Shield Bash), shield mastery giving more defense and stun status to Shield bash. Want more? Okay the GC Crusader, BB Knight.

What I want to give? Options. Build how you like, no skill requirements. I just imagine how hard it is to add these skills, create new icons, BALANCE them. But I want this variation you know? Every class being good in one point, but not being totally useless in another. I didn't wrote the full build for the others, but some ideas:

Acolyte: Full Support / Holy Dmg Dealer / Agi Skills / Int Skills / Str Skills (Has to have a BONK skill)

Thief: buff after hide / buff venom / double strafe / aspd buff increase but sacrifices flee / blind skill

Archer: double strafe / stun,blind int skill / party buff hit and flee skill / heal over time skill

Mage: 5 element skills (earth, wind, ice, fire, ghost), mastery on each bolt with 2 masteries at max (more dmg at max level) / sp recovery / energy coat / passive that increases aspd / free cast / auto bolt on attack (decreased dmg)

Merchant: agi skill / str skill / self buff aspd / axe mastery / throw lesser potions (heal, sp heal, heal over time, aspd increase, dmg reduction)
So basically you want to put 3rd and 4th job skills to the second class.

Quote*"Oh nice, another renewal"* yeah I know. But I think all of these server didn't had time to prepare and plan ahead.
This is unacceptable for me. You seem to have no idea about renewal RO and you talk how all the Renewal server don't have time to prepare? There are renewal servers with clearly thought-out system but I'm not going to name them here, because well Gravity.

Again, I'm not trying to be disrespectful to you. There are some neat ideas in your post. However, are you going with EP20 or Pre-Renewal? You want to have contents up to EP20, but your ideas seem to revolve only on Pre-Renewal content.