How to Kill Gloom Under Night?

Started by esperaunce, Mar 10, 2009, 09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esperaunce

Gloom is a ghost type of formless. Neutral does 0%, ghost does 175%, all other elements do 100% dmg.
My character is a sniper, equipped with holy arrows. Immaterial arrows were available too.
With holy arrows, my first few arrows hit and dealt damage, then, all the rest of the arrows missed. I was thinking I should make use of the immaterial arrows instead. The same thing happened.
Does this mean when I fight Gloom, there is a need to switch arrows after every few shots? I recall seeing some videos of other players attacking Gloom with stopping. The videos were blurry, so I can't see what elemental weapons they were using, if at all.
How do you fight it? And is there a better way of fighting Gloom other than switching arrows after shooting a few times?
Scatter your chilly sharp blades! Cold Bolt!
Strip away the ground with glistening blades! Thunder Bolt!
Freezing wind, speak of forgotten truths! Storm Gust!
Effortless Water, break your silence, attack! Snow Flake Draft!
Time, rest and give your kindness to the worthy! Agi Down!
Time has come...crash down on the wicked! Meteor Storm!
Conjurors seek truth in silence! Lex Divina!
Fight for justice...fists of fury! Raging Trifecta Blow!
Armor won't help the heart stay sharp! Divest Armor!
Bright light, shine down on bloody impurity! Magnus Exorcism!
Cookies to those who know my source! Reward! ^o^

Cielte

Gloom switches elements I believe.

Shadow & Ghost.

Patapon

Switching arrows is easy enough if you have them set to hotkeys.

this image copyright 2009 Patapon

XfrozoneXX

It depends if you can buy other arrows in a item mall or something.  If you got like a SHR where stats are pretty high just attack normally with your bow thats what i do in mines lol.  But there it don't sound like you can cause you got holy element and ghost element arrows only?  Gloom UNder Night is 175% on ghost so pretty good if you use ghost.

bleu

Are u sure it can change the element of itself? There doesn't seem to be any records of that skill on RMS databse.

http://ratemyserver.net/index.php?page=mob_skill_analysis&m_id=1768&m_name=Gloom%20Under%20Night

Cielte

Everytime I've fought Gloom with a Sniper. I had to bring Holy arrows and Immaterial for it to do max damage. Switching them every few minutes. Plus, when I had a SinX with me, he could hit it without Enchant Poison for a few minutes, then every hit after would be a miss and after a few more minutes he was damaging it again.

blackgh05t

Quote from: bleu on Mar 10, 2009, 11:57 PM
Are u sure it can change the element of itself? There doesn't seem to be any records of that skill on RMS databse.

http://ratemyserver.net/index.php?page=mob_skill_analysis&m_id=1768&m_name=Gloom%20Under%20Night

bleu is right.  I don't see anything under the skill list of it changing elements.  Last time I fought him, I used Immaterial arrows all the way.

Easy way to fight him on a 99/70 is with a party of 3 ( Sniper / Prof / Priest ).

Kill the Agav's off until gloom only has Echios.  Once they are down, you won't have to worry about Agi Down.  Your priest can spam SW on the cell your standing and you should be able to DS down with SP from your prof every so often.

Clown / HW / Priest also works.  An HW can solo it truthfully, but I think its faster with a clown.

If you can, wear a Pasana / Jakk and pop a fire resist potion to counter his fire property attacks.
eos
Est. 2008

Poki

I just recently killed it (5 hours ago) and did it with just immaterial arrows.  Tripping on triangles lately?
Whatever the case, you can just throw in a High wizard, bard, and sniper.  That should be a definite win.  If you were to solo it... you can just go with Sniper.

Cielte

*shrugs* The server I played on probably modified it or something. I don't know, all I know was a SinX had to keep Enchant Poision, a elemental dagger, sword, or katar, or endows/cursed water at all times.

esperaunce

I keep forgetting this forum allows private server talk ^^||
I believe it's this skill:

Sense Attribute Attack [Lv 10]   

But yeah, I switched between two arrows when I fight it, holy and immaterial. Even for my immaterial arrows, only the first few will hit, and the rest will miss until I change the element.

Switching arrows is easy, I agree, though I notice my character stops attacking whenever I switch, which gives Gloom the time it needs to move nearer to me. I was hoping to avoid this. Do you think a gunslinger's holy bullets can bypass this?

Frozone, bleu, blackghost and poki, I don't think the server you four play on is ebRO, right? Does this mean different servers implement Gloom differently?

bleu

Quote from: esperaunce on Mar 11, 2009, 03:42 AM
Frozone, bleu, blackghost and poki, I don't think the server you four play on is ebRO, right?

This is true. I can say for myself; I do not play on ebRO, heck - I don't even know what does ebRO stands for.

Does this mean different servers implement Gloom differently?

Nope. It just means that you lack familiarization with your own server's customization. If indeed, your server has made customization to its MVP skills such as Gloom, it's best to write directly to your GM on ebRO forum as it's specific to ebRO. Non-ebRO players like myself wouldn't have a clue what your GMs did or didn't do.

However given that there have been other reports that alleged "Gloom changed its element" on other servers, it warrants a further investigation. Perusing through the default eAthena mob skill database; there's no indication of Gloom having the ability to change its Element. However, I noticed a "possible" explanation. Is it possible that instead of targeting the MVP (Gloom), you may have accidentally targeted its slaves?

http://ratemyserver.net/index.php?page=mob_db&mob_id=1786 (Agav)
http://ratemyserver.net/index.php?page=mob_db&mob_id=1787 (Echio)

The slaves are both Neutral Element lvl2, making them immune to Ghost Attacks. (eg: Immaterial arrows)

It's equally possible that your GMs may have made customizations to Gloom and which you should follow up on ebRO forum.

blackgh05t

In addition Memory of Thanatos changes to Holy property during the encounter.  The skill listed is called "Holy Attribute Change [Lv 1]".
eos
Est. 2008

CookieEater

No. Quite obviously, that's an offensive skill. Note how it says 'Attack' in the name?
B>Positive Karma, /w offers pl0x

esperaunce

Bleu, my immaterial arrows did damage Gloom with the first few shots, so I definitely didn't target its slaves, so judging by the other posts, I'll conclude it's my server's customisation.

Okay, thanks guys!

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

Quote from: CookieEater on Mar 12, 2009, 04:30 AM

No. Quite obviously, that's an offensive skill. Note how it says 'Attack' in the name?

Unless it's Sense (Attribute Attack), that is, sense what attribute it's attacked with.