Stalker Build Question

Started by fuzzywuzzy, Dec 09, 2008, 01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzywuzzy

I was thinking, does a Storm Gust Stalker need to HAVE high Int. Like can't you depend on Back Stab to deal damage or any sword skill that they have. Like I would Divest enemy's armor, then Gust (freeze), then Back Stab with a wind-based sword or dagger.

Build would probably be, high Str/Dex, mid Agi/Vit.

This was just thought. Never played a Stalker but would love to try :)

billyboebob

that does seem like a decent idea no doubt seeing that you could still use just close combat/long range depending what you are at the time and not pertain to only using your storm gust as i see most other stalkers do. i think it would work quite effectively for lvling and possibly PvP if used right. Also back stab lvl 10 does like 200% atk damage or as i remember from the last time i had a stalker which was a long time. so it's not like it doesn't seem it would be to bad.

Always worth to experimenting with it. :D

Sarin

Possibility, but it is quite slow and risky way how to kill. Strip is far from 100%, and there might be FCP. Even with backstab with wind enchant, the damage will not result in oneshot, and you can't backstab with SG in place cause of delay. I wouldn't try it on any melee char.

Aaronock

For a build like this...bow with backstab might be the way to go...but remember, backstab does half dmg with bows ;)

I would go with tons of dex, medium int (30-50) and rest in vit or agi.  Mostly only decent as a pvp build but could have applications in WoE I suppose as something different and for a build like this...maybe some uses in PvM as mob control in parties or steal Bowling Bash and go bow. 

CookieEater

FCP is mandatory for WoE, and no real PvPer goes without it either. I advice against, but suggest you go for Dex/Int with a bow for best results despite halved Backstab damage. Bow gives you distance and Dex increases Strip chances.
B>Positive Karma, /w offers pl0x

Chimichanga

Strategy might work for a soloist environment, except woe-ers are usually in groups. In addition, the bs damage won't be high (probably around 2-3k) when you can spam bowling bash for like 2k repeatedly. And people pot as well and the sg+bs combo is time-consuming.

Sarin

since backstab does 700% dmg, halved while using bows...wouldn't be better to use double strafe?

Chimi....you can plagiarize only ONE skill.

Poki

QuoteSTALKER

Equipment:

Feather Beret
Angel/Devil ears
Orlean's Shield [ Thara Card ] or valk
Glittering Jacket x2 [ Sasquatch Card & Peco Peco Card ] --- and Evil druid if you're pro.
Mes [3] [ Two Skeleton Worker Cards & Hydra Card ]
Wool Scarf x2 [ Raydric & Punk Card ]
Tidal Shoes [ Verit Card ]
Ring [1] x2 [ Mantis Card ]

Stats:

STR: Exactly 80 (Including bonuses)
AGI: 1
VIT: Exactly 80 (Including bonuses)
INT: Exactly 80 (Including bonuses)
DEX: 1
LUK: 1

Tactics:

I will not explain the details in what skills you need to place your skill point in (Use the skill simulator: http://ratemyserver.net/skill_sim.php and just a side note: It will be difficult on your behalf to find out what skills I have chosen for this class)

You were given two Wool scarf and two Glittering Jackets.  I'll first explain why you have them before we go on to how your game play should be like.  First off, your sasquatch card in one glittering jacket is there for players with massive attack speed, players who cloak too much, and players who do massive amounts of damage in one hit.

The sasquatch will come in against those players because once they're frozen, they're likely to be stripped by YOU.
If it doesn't come in handy, bring some frost diver scrolls, test it out on them.  If they don't freeze, it's because they have marc card.  But don't you fret, you still have one more trick up your sleeve.

Using your given backslide skill, use it frequently after every hit you take up close or far away. Once you're out of sight, use hide and proceed slowly to your enemy.  Uncloak yourself and strip ONCE and quickly position yourself for massive back sliding.  Use this method if they do a lot of damage in one blow, or if they have insane attack speed, do not use this on weak players who can't hurt, or players who cloak against you.

When fighting someone with marc card, just switch armour in to the Peco peco for the HP advantage.  I advise using Peco peco in woe instead of Sasquatch card in woe. Just a heads up.

Anyways, you have the basics in to stripping a player.  Next up is how to kill:

Your main killing technique is the lost forgotten skill that barely anyone uses (That I see):  Backstab.

This skill will do 2.8k to players with no good defence and cards.
This skill will do 2.2k to players with average equips.
This skill will do 1.8k to Lord knights, paladins, and high priests.

You will be seeing 2.4k mainly however, because before you begin fighting, you start off with the "Stripping phases".

Backstab is a very tricky skill. You have to be behind them in order to use the skill.  I don't advise anyone who can't control their characters properly to use my build.  If you can, then you should be able to play like me, a walking backstab machine.

Stone throw is a handy skill.  Use it often to get far range people to stun so that you can come near to them, and against  casters.  It's very handy, trust me.

It's nearly impossible for you to die.  You can also fight players with MVP cards and still win, but barely.  It depends on your skills and control with the character (and luck, for those who like to believe in that).

Overall look:

14k HP
2k SP
2.6k Damage per hit
2016 Per heal
Never miss
Able to strip and freeze
Defence is near a Lord Knight's defence

A pally on sacrifice build with tao gunka can not kill you.  A sinX with full Sonic blow equips on EDP can sometimes kill you.  You can also either kill them or render them useless by stripping.  The classes that you can't kill are those with high HP who either heal, or pot spam.

This is just a quick rough guide to what another build other than the overused Storm Gust stalker.  Don't use this if it's too hard for you.

fuzzywuzzy

Hmm, interesting. I'll run some tests to see how this build goes.

BTW, how does a Grand Cross Stalker sound? Close Confine+Grand Cross sounds soooo nice to me. Problem is the damage I'll take. So would this be suggested? I plan on PVPing with the Stalker. The build will most likely be a Int/Dex :)

Thanks for the quick feedback guys!

Orange

Quote from: fuzzywuzzy on Dec 09, 2008, 01:34 AM
I was thinking, does a Storm Gust Stalker need to HAVE high Int. Like can't you depend on Back Stab to deal damage or any sword skill that they have. Like I would Divest enemy's armor, then Gust (freeze), then Back Stab with a wind-based sword or dagger.

Build would probably be, high Str/Dex, mid Agi/Vit.

This was just thought. Never played a Stalker but would love to try :)

On a few MR's ive played stalkers often use a bow with stormy knight cards to do this. I guess coppying storm gust would work just as well if you dont have acess to SK cards
:3

Poki

I shall tell you that a grand cross stalker is a big "toughie" to pull. It works, it's been done before and all, but in PvP, you can't kill many of the classes and here is why:

Champions can snap away from your Close Confine
Paladins will have Shrink on, they can out heal the damage, and they can smite
Lord Knights can Bowling Bash or Brandish Spear you
Priests can just tank that easily
Snipers can Arrow Repel and trap you from using Grand Cross on them as well as putting you to sleep
Assassins can use Hide and backslide
Stalkers can use Hide and backslide
High Wizards can either freeze you or safety wall
Professors can safety wall
Creators might kill you before you can Grand Cross them

And so on... Well, I'm not entirely sure if what I said is even true but by memory, I'm pretty sure it is.  Well, it's still possible to kill with the build if you can:

catch someone by surprise
ensure their death with only one Grand Cross
MUST not be smart enough to react right away

Chimichanga

I guess i forgot to mention that you wouldn't combine bb with sg. It's just that as a melee build, bb is much better than the sg+bs combo. LIke what i mean is freeze+bs < bb itself and i was refering to a sword build

Lore

Quote from: CookieEater on Dec 09, 2008, 01:45 PM
FCP is mandatory for WoE, and no real PvPer goes without it either. I advice against, but suggest you go for Dex/Int with a bow for best results despite halved Backstab damage. Bow gives you distance and Dex increases Strip chances.

False. Depends on your server.

I think you overestimate the ability of Backstab. Please recall how the skill SUCKS. There are certainly better damage dealing builds out there, but if this is a "for fun" build i'm sure it'll turn out alright.

Aaronock

QuoteMes [3] [ Two Skeleton Worker Cards & Hydra Card ]

Hey Poki, I'm curious why do you pick two skel worker cards over two hydra and skel worker? 

Sarin

me too, since the mod is 156% for two skel workers+hydra and 161% for two hydras and skel worker.

CookieEater

Quote from: Lore on Dec 10, 2008, 01:04 AM

I think you overestimate the ability of Backstab. Please recall how the skill SUCKS. There are certainly better damage dealing builds out there, but if this is a "for fun" build i'm sure it'll turn out alright.
Most self-respecting Guilds have an Alchemist to FCP everybody, just as they have a Soul Linker ready with all 'good' links learned.

And the guy asked about Backstab, so I didn't mention anything else. Of course there's better skills out there. Though it does cost little SP and never misses, many people prefer Bowling Bash for obvious reasons.

Poki

Quote from: CookieEater on Dec 09, 2008, 01:45 PM

Dex does not increase strip chances.  Backstab is actually better than BB only because my build allows me to heal 2016 easily and I simply have overall more DEF, MDEF, HP, and SP and I don't miss plus I don't use a bow because I don't need a long distant skill to help me kill, I simply make use of backsliding and cloaking to get close.  (Probably want to carry a sight clip for those who hide so that the strip effects wear off)

Also,  you deal more with a sword and you get to wear a shield. More %resist against demi-human ftw.

QuoteHey Poki, I'm curious why do you pick two skel worker cards over two hydra and skel worker?

I don't know, for some odd reason, I actually do more with the combo I stated.  Don't ask me why, I seriously don't know.

Are you saying the skill backstab is terrible?  It may not deal as much as bowling bash, but it is still rather useful:

- As you don't need dex to hit meaning more stats to strength, vit, and int. 
- Not only that but it's rather unique since many nubs can't use it properly 
- Also, it's rather fearsome for idiots who tend to run away from you because you can spam approximately 5 backstabs in about 2 seconds since their back is immediately facing toward you as they click away from you to run.
- Backstab deals around 2.4k which is pretty decent
- You can heal while a BB stalker can't
- You can take more damage
- You have more SP
- You can support other players as a priest by healing and stripping

And think about it, because my stalker is more capable of tanking (probably better than a pally with no heal or an LK), I can live longer to strip players.

Also, not everyone will remember to have their FCP on.  Some will forget and those who do, it only lasts for 10 minutes.  My build enables the skill of healing, therefore, living for 10 minutes isn't that hard at all.

Lastly, if you were to PvP someone and they are not a Creator or Alchemist but have FCP on, then obviously you're allowed to get some of your own buffs to help you in the fight with the other person. Plus, hopefully they won't get another rebuff during their little match with you, that way you can just wait for the FCP to wear off (in 10 minutes)

Anyways, these are my reasons to why I like Backstab so much.

CookieEater

"DEX difference between the caster and the target affects on the success chance. If the success rate drops below your base success chance, the base success chance will be used instead. The success rate is believed to be:

Success Rate = 5 + 2 * Skill Level + (Your DEX - Enemy DEX) / 5"

By the way, if you go for Backstab with a Sword/Dagger, get 4 more points of Str than you need. Stealth/Chase Walk gives a +16 bonus to Str for half a minute or so, and that duration can be increased by a lot with Rogue Spirit.

Aaronock

Str. bonus from Chase Walk sometimes is absolutely amazing!

CookieEater

Quote from: Aaronock on Dec 11, 2008, 12:19 PM
Str. bonus from Chase Walk sometimes is absolutely amazing!
As long as you find a safe spot/moment to switch to Hide :P

Aaronock

TBH I am more of a ganker built pvm style stalker and that's where most my experience lies.  So chasewalk bonus is good in maps where the str. bonus can help a lot in my damage dealing on slightly tougher monsters XD

Littlechan

Quote from: CookieEater on Dec 11, 2008, 03:21 AM
"DEX difference between the caster and the target affects on the success chance. If the success rate drops below your base success chance, the base success chance will be used instead. The success rate is believed to be:

Success Rate = 5 + 2 * Skill Level + (Your DEX - Enemy DEX) / 5"

By the way, if you go for Backstab with a Sword/Dagger, get 4 more points of Str than you need. Stealth/Chase Walk gives a +16 bonus to Str for half a minute or so, and that duration can be increased by a lot with Rogue Spirit.

I think this has changed to fixed chance? (15%)

*Thank You very much for Azurene*

The world is getting more and more broken everyday...

The truth about me
I am 17 ;D
[close]

Poki

QuoteI think this has changed to fixed chance? (15%)

That's what I recall.  I'm pretty sure it has changed unless my luck is unbelievably great as a stalker attempting to strip.

I didn't find much any difference in stripping from a stalker with 600 DEX (against one with 1 DEX) with another try as a stalker with 1 DEX and against someone with 1 DEX.

As for the chasewalk, I never had enough skill points to increase it.  It didn't matter much to me anyways.  But it is great.

CookieEater

You'd be amazed how much you can get if you don't take Full Strip. That skill has a huge prerequisite...

I always get Backstab, Sword Mastery, Tunnel Drive and Plagiarise+Preserve maxed out :P

Quote from: Littlechan on Dec 11, 2008, 07:13 PM
I think this has changed to fixed chance? (15%)
If it did, nobody gave me the memo.

fuzzywuzzy

Full Strip is set to 15% now? So no Dex!? Can this be confirmed somewhere?

Also, Poki, you keep saying you Heal around 2000 HP but where does that skill come from? Sorry I don't know much about the cards and such.

fluidin

Hm. There are a lot of equips which enable the use of low level heals, like Light Epsilon, Brionac, but since he can't use those, I'm assuming he heals by using LV 5 Heal Scroll, which is dropped off Geographers.

Or he could be using Ifrit Rings >.>
Quote from: Jeon on Jun 04, 2009, 12:02 PM
XileRo is the only HR I know that has a reasonable PvP system. I did watch the RWC like you said, all I see is people spamming the room like every other gang fight there is in RO.