Having trouble understanding the Rankings /swt

Started by bleu, Dec 20, 2008, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bleu

The default Ranking is 6 months sorted by Total Score.

What is Total Score? How is it calculated? What's the difference between "Total Score" and "Average Rating" for the period selected?

p/s: hope this is the correction section.

yC

total score is the total amount obtained from adding every review score. 

i.e. if there are 3 reviews for the server and the scores are 91, 85, 100.  the total score will be 91+85+100.

Average rating is the total score divided by the number of reviews ( [91+85+100] / 3 in this example) to get the percentage such that it is always 100 or less.

bleu

Thanks for clarifying this.

Additional question: Wouldn't the current ranking system (by total score) be bias towards larger population servers?

Assuming the followings:
- each servers tries to encourage its players to write reviews legally (just general, non-intrusive and non-incentivized reminders)
- the percentage of reviewers over the total population players is constant (not every player will spend time writing a review). I.e., the larger your player population, the more reviews a server will likely receive.
- current system favors Quantity over Quality. As of today, AnthemRO has 72 reviews. It's ranked 5th on the Low Rate Default Ranking. It's Average rating is 71. On the other hand, a smaller server like SerenityRO has managed to obtain 53 reviews with an average rating of 88. By using the default ranking system, any review is good - coz, good or bad; it still adds to the "Total Score" contributing a minimum of 10 points each review... and in AnthemRO's case, it might be just enough to be listed as a TOP 5 with >20 less than average review (flagged with the option of owner comments). Of course, one could always argue, a reader could always click in AnthemRO's server page- note the average rating and peruse through six pages of comments.

Another way of looking at things:
When applying to college, instead of using GPA; we introduce Total Points. Student A, takes 5 subjects and achieved a Total Points of 450. Student B, enrolls in 10 subjects and achieved a Total Points of 500. According to the Total Points system, Student B is better than Student A; even though he/she may have failed in several of his/her subjects.

yC

i know ... but there isn't any easy way to optimize the result.

Say for example only rank by the average: server with one perfect review is going to be at the top while server with multiple reviews not all perfect will stuck at the bottom for having more reviews. 

A weight to the number of review added to the average would be okay though I don't want things to get too complicated for the general users to understand.