RMS not playing its part?

Started by Yuzo, May 28, 2016, 03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuzo

Righto, first of all, I don't know anything about this site's vision, goals or whatnot. What I do know is it has come to an absolute standstill over the last 2-3 years.

Let's address the elephant in the room. The site is dead, like the game it supports. The only reason people come here is to start some petty rant about some server they were banned from.

But, despite what I just said, Ragnarok Online is not a dead game, far from it. There are still plenty out there looking for a quality experience (lol that marketing line). Where do they come to look for said experience? Right here. But how can RateMyServer provide that service when it is broken as all hell?

Restructuring

1. The forum needs to shed its dead weight forums. The community needs to condense and compress. There are not enough users around these parts to require as many forums as we have.

2. Rebrand the community. Set some goals - something we can work towards, other than s*** on whatever hyped up server fell flat on its face.

3. Get some new moderators with fresh ideas. I see the current ones are still active, but their presence is deadly silent. Fresh ideas? A revamp on what we expect from server advertisements would be a start. AND SOMEBODY TO SORT OUT THE BLOODY LISTINGS!

While this forum does not necessarily have a great amount of relation to the main site, it is the roots which prop it up. Without this forum, the site itself begins to lose context.

Please give your input, I beg you. This site is a hub for all that is strong in Ragnarok. We can not let it fall!

yC

I fully understand the problem with the forum, but you have to understand it is hard to find trusted people.  Moderators I have are those that played the game for many years and I understand sometimes they need to take a break from the game or take their leave from helping in the forum.  I can't really ask for anything, I appreciate there are people that I trust can help me look after the forum while I am not always around.

I let the community shape itself freely, as long as the rules set in the forum is followed.

As for the site, I try to keep it free from spammer/cheater and do database updates from time to time.

Yuzo

So you will continue to let it rot with no proactive movement?

yC

This is a space for fair ground between servers and players to share their experience.  It is doing exactly that, plus more.

Yuzo

Well, there's my answer. Is that it? Nice knowing you rms. Sad your owner no longer cares about you.

yC

If you are looking for daily exciting events, you should look into the private servers that offer them.

Yuzo

Also how come you're not purging advertisement topics after 180 days like the rules say you will...

Bue

There aren't that many competitors looking to replace RMS and the only other alternative is top voting sites that are far worse with their malware and adware.

At the end of the day, RMS is well-establish and provides a good enough service.

If you want to build a community that shares the same values and want to provide a higher quality service, then try building one yourself. Hint: it is not as easy as you think. Given the state of the community, just be glad we have at least something.

Blinzer

Is this real life?

Bug

Hey RMS,
I've enjoyed many great servers thanks to you.
Your databases are invaluably helpful to me, as both a player and developer.

Kind thanks.

Soshii

Aww, I really get what your trying to put across but it came across as a bit ranty.

As a casual player for 10 years, other than s*** XtReMeToP100 and gamesites, over the years I would have been f*** finding a server if it wasn't for RMS. That is something I will always love and respect this site for, giving a glimmer of hope to even some kind of community within this dying game. The fact we can even sit here talking about how to improve a site for a really old game is a miracle. Most games have shut down and long gone. RMS really is at the forefront for my RO community experience.

That being said, I agree with some of your points. The lack of community in RO has dwindled and its up to us as players to constantly put those branches out to each other, some help from a platform like this would be great. I agree RMS could do more in the aspect of community. Maybe slimming down the forums as suggested.

Everybody (Including the past replliers) please look at the original post again, I understand RMS is not broke, so why fix it? Some valid points are made and you can tell he/she really cares about the games longevity and community.

I applaud you for reaching out and trying to make a difference!

Neffletics

Well, RMS still works like what it should be. It has been a part of every private server player.

When they need help on questing, there's RMS (alternative to iROwiki).
When they need to compare the Athena item effect vs Aegis, there's RMS (while viewing iROwiki).
When they need detailed information about a monster, there's RMS.

Restructuring the forum would be great. (or at least upgrade to IPB, so that we can view this site well on mobile)

Anyway... thank you, RMS, for everything.
solacero rip

moksha

Thanks RMS... for all these years!!!

hanssamuel23

Actually RMS is very helpful. can give you all the information need specially in private servers.

thanks and more power RMS

Kyo-Kusanagi-aka-GuessWho

Quote from: Yuzo on May 28, 2016, 03:57 PM
Righto, first of all, I don't know anything about this site's vision, goals or whatnot. What I do know is it has come to an absolute standstill over the last 2-3 years.

Let's address the elephant in the room. The site is dead, like the game it supports. The only reason people come here is to start some petty rant about some server they were banned from.

But, despite what I just said, Ragnarok Online is not a dead game, far from it. There are still plenty out there looking for a quality experience (lol that marketing line). Where do they come to look for said experience? Right here. But how can RateMyServer provide that service when it is broken as all hell?

Restructuring

1. The forum needs to shed its dead weight forums. The community needs to condense and compress. There are not enough users around these parts to require as many forums as we have.

2. Rebrand the community. Set some goals - something we can work towards, other than s*** on whatever hyped up server fell flat on its face.

3. Get some new moderators with fresh ideas. I see the current ones are still active, but their presence is deadly silent. Fresh ideas? A revamp on what we expect from server advertisements would be a start. AND SOMEBODY TO SORT OUT THE BLOODY LISTINGS!

While this forum does not necessarily have a great amount of relation to the main site, it is the roots which prop it up. Without this forum, the site itself begins to lose context.

Please give your input, I beg you. This site is a hub for all that is strong in Ragnarok. We can not let it fall!

I dont understand your problem at all. You seem to be worried about the future of RO but act like its RMS fault.
RMS IS playing its part. You know why?
What is RMS?
RMS is a information/Datebase site about the korean MMORPG Ragnarok Online. Here you can find information about the game or private servers or the emulators or have Access to the forum.
All RMS is doing is to give information about the game or connect the RO community.
When RMS becomes smaller or some people decide to leave RMS/Ragnarok Online it ISNT RMS fault. Its because of RO.
What you dont understand is the following thing:
The life of RMS is connected to the life of RO because RMS is RO and RO is RMS. This site and all the other RO sites are only active to the line where RO is alive. If RO dies out, this page and other RO pages will die out.
So if you see that RMS or other RO sites are becoming less and less active and that users are leaving, you cant blame it on RMS, blame it on Gravity or on RO or its players. Because it isnt RMS fault that users are inactive here, if they are inactive it means that RO players in general are leaving.
RO as a game is far from dying out, but lets say that ROs had its best years already. The only chance that RO has for surviving on a large scale on the MMORPG world is by remaking RO with better programming, graphics and system.
if Gravity would be smart, they would make the exact RoMobile game that is coming next year as a PC version, but Gravity is stupid as hell and because of this s*** wont happen.
if you fail to understand that RO is RMS and RMS is RO, then postings like yours happen.
Ragnarok Online Player since the very Beta. I'm still in love with the game.