Forum suggestions

Started by 2k2, Dec 10, 2023, 03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2k2

I know there's probably not much that can be done with this forum, but still worth to do a list of some necessary or quality of life stuff every forum should have:

• YouTube and link embeds/preview (with an option/code to also disable it)
  • Emoji support
  • User/Member @tagging
  • Multi-quotting (I remember being able to do this years ago here but recently it no longer works for me) and specific section-quote on highlighting/selection with mouse click/hold
  • Font size formatting and more font options
  • A way to block users so you don't see any of their messages and threads (and perhaps even a way to hide other user's quotting blocked users messages) and also not allow them to see your messages, threads or interact with it or with you in any way
  • Automatically display/warn next to their name (or in the header of their message) if they have other RMS accounts logged in their PC or network
  • Ban long-known trolls such as Nova (aka Atroce or u/ROEnjoyer) and Sachimi (probably Talon's Boreas or Seiren fake identity account)
@EDIT

• Spoiler tags. Another feature I remember being able to use here years ago but it seems to be longer be working.
Find me here:

yC

You are right not much that can be done with this forum.  The forum software although still gets updated, many of the plugins or add-on features that developed by users 10~20 years ago didn't get maintained or updated to work with the latest version of the forum.

If the feature didn't come with the forum then consider it is not supported.  From my latest experience of upgrading the forum from the previous version earlier this year, trying to get end of life modifications to work as the forum gets official update will just get more difficult if not impossible.

You can read the forum upgrade message posted in July to get an idea of what I mean:
https://forum.ratemyserver.net/announcements/rms-forum-upgraded/

The usage of the forum is limited to sharing information, discussion and opinion these days, I am fine that the forum don't have a lot of fancy features.  It is intended that I do not throw in much add-ons to enhance the forum experience, rather than try to make an old plugin work now but will eventually fail to work in a later version (or try to extend its life after every upgrade).  You can consider it is a text editor, nothing more.

Font size / font color and formatting tags were removed after I found out bots use them to hide spam links in posts and quoted text.

If you see user act inappropriately, use the report function to report their post.

2k2

Quote from: yC on Dec 11, 2023, 11:12 PMYou are right not much that can be done with this forum.  The forum software although still gets updated, many of the plugins or add-on features that developed by users 10~20 years ago didn't get maintained or updated to work with the latest version of the forum.

If the feature didn't come with the forum then consider it is not supported.  From my latest experience of upgrading the forum from the previous version earlier this year, trying to get end of life modifications to work as the forum gets official update will just get more difficult if not impossible.

You can read the forum upgrade message posted in July to get an idea of what I mean:
https://forum.ratemyserver.net/announcements/rms-forum-upgraded/

The usage of the forum is limited to sharing information, discussion and opinion these days, I am fine that the forum don't have a lot of fancy features.  It is intended that I do not throw in much add-ons to enhance the forum experience, rather than try to make an old plugin work now but will eventually fail to work in a later version (or try to extend its life after every upgrade).  You can consider it is a text editor, nothing more.

Font size / font color and formatting tags were removed after I found out bots use them to hide spam links in posts and quoted text.

If you see user act inappropriately, use the report function to report their post.

Makes sense. I did read some of the pages and work about Simple Machines and the current version being used here and figured there wouldn't be much to be done. Still, thank you though.
Find me here: