Users view

Started by Pow, Apr 17, 2009, 03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pow

After a somewhat lengthy discussion with yC, I have persuaded her to allow me to post this topic. Since we are in dire need of some actual user to staff interaction on how things should be run on these forums. This is your opportunity to express your full opinion on each one of the staff members (Riotblade not included) and how they carry out their duties. You all know the rules, but since some people like to state that they have missed them, here they are;

• You will not be posting anything that remotely resembles a 'troll','flame' or anything of the like.
  • You are NOT to make suggestions as to the removal of staff members.
  • This isn't a 'roast' of certain staff members.. If you are going to post, you post something about every staff member.

If you are not going to adhere to the above - do not even bother posting. I am doing this out of the respect for the community and their opinions - but I will not be allowing any user to abuse that respect I have convinced yC of letting me explore. Anyway, enough of my babbling on, lets hear what you have to say. Please direct your replies in a structured format, such as;

Staff Name:
Problem:
Possible Solution:

Of course, you do not HAVE to do it in that format; It is only a suggestion.

-Pow
Divided we stand, together we fall.
There isn't any god that can save us all
So don't pray on your knees, just beg on your hands
There is no belief in this promised land

LemonCrosswalk

Staff Name: Yc & JJJ

Problem: I have been mulling over this for a while now. I don't mean any insult to this nor disrespect, but I have a feeling you're forgetting that it's the internet. You have very high standard on how people should act on a forum. In the end, anonymity + internet ='s silliness (to say the least). It doesn't help that quite a few people active are probably pre-teen to teens. Still, the posts rarely become bloodthirsty or malicious even when arguments start.  If people aren't enjoying themselves on the forums, they are going to stop coming (leaving the "pls tell me" people).

Possible Solution: The best thing you can do is give a little. Compared to most forums, this one is tame even when not moderated. I think it may do you a bit of good to look at a few other forums to see how they operate. For example, an FPS forum is usually rarely moderated with a very rowdy group of members. It may help you find middle ground with your members.

Descent

Here goes, wonder if this will even go through.

I'll start with the easiest.

Staffer: Pow

Problems: None. Looks at things in full, makes decisions accordingly. Nobody really came out unscathed in the last big firestorm that everybody was involved in, and the decisions Pow made were fair and unbiased. I was on Moderated, Raine was Warned, Loki was muted, Ymir, temp-banned. I can say with confidence and in all due respect to this thread's rules, had it been any other moderator but Pow, you would have seen a completely different (and nonsensical) ruling.

Also, I have noticed that when action is taken upon a member, whatever their "past" or "previous problems" were are gone to the wayside during judgement. And that's how it should be and should have been from the start, none of this "Oh, well such-and-such doesn't like so-and-so, so such-and-such is going to get action taken upon them while so-and-so gets nothing".

My only...I don't even think you can call this a 'complaint', per se, is that he isn't as active. However, when he is, he is spot on.

Possible Solution: None, there's nothing to resolve for him.

Staffer: yC

Problems: If there's nothing more frustrating in somebody, it's when they do an about-face when most convenient, and while this isn't supposed to be a roast, I find no other way to get the point across than pointing that fact out.

An Administrator CANNOT make a concrete set of rules and then go against them at will, whenever it seems to be feasible. As the Administrator, you are supposed to be the foundation to support your project, in this case, RMS. Yet, when things happen, there have been outbursts on yC's behalf that are completely unfit for an Administrator. And it's not just once or twice, it's becoming frequent.

Is she human? Of course. Do we know what kind of life she leads? Maybe she works two, three jobs? Is struggling to keep up with a failing economy? We don't know. But this has no bearing on any of this. For somebody who, in conversation, seems to distance herself from "internet people", her actions speak a lot louder than words.

Symbiote's thread was treated with a high amount of disrespect and a glaring lack of professionalism so far that even the newest user could see it and possibly think twice about sticking around. There have been other threads where your catchphrase is "You don't have to stay here" when met with opposition. You're right, they don't...and neither do the X amount of people who see you say something like that and also follow them out of the door. Keep that in mind.

Also, even though you are the Admin, this "love it or leave it, there's the door" is a really horrid attitude for you to have. You've said once that people on the Internet are "just pixels", but pixels or not, you're dealing with human beings, and to gain respect, you're going to have to give it at some point.

The general moderation scheme around here is quite poor, as well, and this goes back to the whole "past occurences" clause in Pow's review. Let's say that User A has a bad track record, User B is new. User B provokes User A, where User A retaliates. What would happen?

User A would get Warned, Moderated, et cetera, due to "previous problems". This cannot happen any longer. If two people make a mistake, they both should suffer the consequences, and you, the Administrator, need to be made aware of that.

Possible Solution: There are quite a few, but I feel the most effective is for yC to look through her posts as of late and find where she herself is falling short of the mark. An Administrator has to follow their own rules, too. yC should not say things like "Well, I'm the Admin, SO THERE." in cases like this. Administrators must set the example, and recent discrepancies have shown that this is not happening.

Staffer: JJJ

Problem: I have already laid out the problems before, but to summarize, for JJJ to be an effective moderator, she HAS to tighten up on her comprehension of the rules and loosen the itchy trigger finger. Just because somebody makes an off remark in a post that is still relevant does not deem the entire topic "destroyed due to off-topic". A friendly reminder when need be is enough, but the whole "kawaii" phase is really getting old.

Speaking of what's getting old, there is also the problem of making a warning of off-topic before JJJ's creation of an off-topic post. I recall a thread where two users said something in a thread that was on-topic, one user stated something off topic, JJJ warned everybody not to go off-topic, and then starts a completely off-topic conversation with Mewi. In the same thread. Not only is this unacceptable, it is also incredibly confusing for the users, especially the newer ones, who are now forced to walk on eggshells.

Just like yC as well, the "previous offender" clause has to be thrown out the window. It is leading to a major lapse in good judgement all around, and can spark claims of bias and favourtism when interpreted by the wrong eyes.

Possible Solution: The best way to learn from things like this is to listen to your critics and take heed of what they say. Even if you don't agree and feel they're taking the piss out of you, it'd do you well to know what their opinions are and apply it.

And, just because....

Staffer: Riotblade

Problem: None, the announcement via the Shoutbox that he loves Fish Sticks(with about ten extra duplicate letters in each word) has pleased the court.

Possible Solution: More Fish Sticks. Many, many more.

There.

Loki

Ah...opinions does matter eh?

I'll will follow the same order as Descent.

Staffer: Pow

Problems: None. Calm and composed when needed. Has a large perspective on things and doesn't jump to the worst conclusion. A moderator as they should be.

Possible Solution: Nothing. It's not a solution as much but everyone has their life to live, even so, getting more active would make this forum a stable place.

---

Staffer: yC

Problems: Focus more on preventing the forum and staff names getting besmirched than thinking of whats best for the forum. Bias on certain events that have happened in the forums. Making decisions that doesn't really help much. Have really bad common sense which affects her way of ruling a lot. There has been too many occasions where you accused some active users of RMS (Descent for example) for driving new members out the door, which contradicts some of your actions that would make even the most closed-minded of members to leave which some have done.

Possible Solution: Listen to your users and heed their words. Do not debate with every single thing that users think is not right about the forums. As Descent said, go look through your posts and conversations you had with members of the forum. If you still can find where you've gone wrong, then there's nothing left for it.

---

Staffer: JJJ

Problems: Jumps to the worst conclusions and is hypocritical at times. Has a bad sense of judgement where she killed off lots of topic because of one or two users which is unacceptable. Warns people of going off-topic when she does it as well. And if other users point it out, she will try and relate something in her post with the current topic. Too trigger happy on the 'hammer and scissors'.

Possible Solution: Stop acting cute. Seriously. And hear the criticism of some people because although they may piss you off, they have a point. Lots of points for that matter. Mull through your actions in the forums and see where you've gone wrong.

Done.

QuoteWhatever floats your boat.

Hutchy

Bampu~

Starting at the top of the ladder:

Staff: yC

Problem: This is going to be a doozy, so I apologize in advance if I offend anyone, as that's not my intention.

I know that this is not going to have any effect on the way RMS is right now, but I feel I need to get it out anyway.

I have to reiterate the bias issue. I've tried not to stick my neck out, but there have been several times yC has flat-out insulted users of this forum, which is not professional *at all*, and is actually quite appalling to see coming from an administrator. Seeing the following in the shoutbox was the last straw for me, yet it still continues, and went on long before this:
Today at 05:43 pm - yC - if you don't have basic respect for people in an open forum, you should find a hole and go into it
Today at 05:43 pm - yC - zone will be the next one on the news that shoots a pack of ppl and suicide
Today at 05:47 pm - yC - because no one have so much time to do stupid stuff except u
Today at 05:54 pm - yC - or a boyfriend, in case you are a serenity type
Today at 05:54 pm - Hutchy - lives offline. It's hard to be alone.
Today at 05:54 pm - Hutchy - I try not to take sides in these things, but it's kind of ridiculous to attack the way someone
Today at 05:54 pm - Zairik - Get a girlfriend

If you feel the need, yC, to insult members who grind your nerves, I suggest you make an alternate account so as to avoid dragging your own name through the mud. It's kind of hard to get involved in a shouting match and then claim you ought to be respected and revered as the almight admin of RMS.

Then there's the part where people try to suggest change, and because change on her part is needed, we get a big post about how it's the normal members who are the problems, the staff is fine, yadda yadda refusal to even listen to whatever suggestion was made. Scars' post in the Hall of Fame section is a prime example, though far from the only time this happened.

As for the moderation of users who call you an idiot, unless they go on for pages and pages of vulgar language... no, saying it once does not warrant moderation. Users have called each other idiots many a time without receiving so much as a warn, so this is yet another instance of personal bias. At some point one have to realize that it is not just users who are the problem; she brings this lack of respect upon herself. Respect is to be earned, not freely given.

I can see the responses now - "You don't have to be here", "Users are the problem", and general deflection of responsibility and blame. Actually, we DO have to be here, or this forum would die off. JJJ is long gone, and it is a ridiculous effort to try and convince everyone on this forum to be lovey-super-kawaii-niceness, it just doesn't work like that. Users do cross the line sometimes, of course, but I think you have a hard time figuring out where that line is and tend to move it to suit your purpose. :x

Solution: I can figure out no other way of saying this - cut the s***. I know you're the admin and you think you're fabulous and special and everyone who is not superkawaiidesu is a "bad influence" here, but at least pretend to be a little more professional.

I can think of a lot of potential solutions, but none of them will come to pass, and this post is likely to be written off. Driving users away is NOT the solution. But what do I know, apparently I'm a troll.

That's it for yC.
Moving on...

Staff: Pow

Problem: Erm, none.

Solution: I see no issues with Pow, and I'm not going to pretend I do for the sake of making this look like less of an attack on one person. Pow is everything a moderator should be - he exercises his common sense, his best judgment, and avoids insulting other users. He locks topics when they're due, moves them when needed, warns when appropriate. I'm not the only one who thinks he does good work.

Actually, I think all the staff here (well, if JJJ were still around) could take a page from Pow. There is a difference between kissing donkey and giving praise where praise is due - Pow has, for some reason, not been given much credit for what he does around here, and I think it's about time somebody does. :x

Staff: Descent

Problem: Nothing yet.

Solution: The only problem I have with Descent is he's posting less often now. ;_; I miss Descent.

The end <3

Edit: O_O I forgot about Riotblade.

Scars

Pow: Overall I don't see any flaws in your moderating.

But maybe you should step up more depending how much is your concern about the forum in terms of suggestions and advices since people look up to you and you've been with RMS for quite a long time.

Descent: Sup.

Doing great so far in jobs he is given on, and I love the fact that you're not afraid to voice against the admin when you believe something is right. I think Descent could perform much better, but it is not his fault that his job is limited.

Riotblade Doesn't count.

yC: Nothing will improve if you keep blaming everything on others.

I suggest you look at things from a different view.

Hutchy

Well wait a second, I have a question.

Is anyone even going to pay attention to what's said in this thread?

If nobody's going to address any issues brought up here, it's kind of ridiculous to give everyone false hope and leave it open.

Descent

All user input is invaluable, be it positive or negative.

There is no reason to close this thread, and both Pow and yC would agree.

Pow

Quote from: Hutchy on May 15, 2009, 06:26 PM
Well wait a second, I have a question.

Is anyone even going to pay attention to what's said in this thread?

If nobody's going to address any issues brought up here, it's kind of ridiculous to give everyone false hope and leave it open.

Of course! I wouldn't have made this thread if I was just going to discard it :\

-Pow
Divided we stand, together we fall.
There isn't any god that can save us all
So don't pray on your knees, just beg on your hands
There is no belief in this promised land