RoseTea's Wish

Started by RoseTea, Jun 24, 2013, 10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoseTea

I would like to perhaps play a server again.  Here's what I'm interested in:

A Fast Game: If you quote this saying your rates or some other nonsense, you completely miss the point.  The greatest appeal to Ragnarok Online, in my opinion, is how fast the combat is.  Your character moves fast, your attacks are described in attacks per second (unlike most MMO's seconds per attack).  Even in a low rate, if I can extremely quickly and efficiently go from sitting around in town to killing monsters fast, I consider that fun and good to play.  This takes more than just the basic dungeon warper to satisfy, by the way.  Don't bore me with your NPCs or wandering around town to get basic stuff done.

Attempts at Modernizing RO: I've played this stupid game before.  For years and years on god knows how many servers in I don't even know how many languages.  If your server is exactly the same game but with different rates and a few more NPCs, I absolutely beg you to close this thread and go somewhere else.  We have an _Athena client that lets us massively edit the game right down to the fundamental math behind it all, and we get "RO Again but with ____".  Show me applied game design principles that we've hopefully learned over the last dozen years or so of MMORPGs.  Show me innovation.  Show me some little detail that changes a minor thing but has a big impact on game enjoyability.  Show me SOMETHING NEW, it doesn't even have to be THAT intelligently put together, just try!

Attempts at Rebalancing: RO is not a perfectly balanced game and anyone who claims it is has no idea what they're talking about.  At its core, this is a game of math and formulas.  This ties a bit into the upper point: we're (hopefully) intelligent people who have the ability to change any number or anything in the game into something else.  We should, perhaps, try making use of this from time to time if it enriches the game and provides opportunities for new strategies.

I do like Ragnarok Online and think it's a fairly alright game.  That's why I'm bored of seeing the same old garbage.  I can skim right down the list of servers in the Advertising section.  Few, if any, actually provide something compelling or innovative to the RO table.  Frankly, if you use the same damn soundbytes everyone else does for why your server is so great, it may actually be garbage and have nothing to compete against everything else that's out there.

I don't care about player numbers.  I don't care about rates.  I don't care about Pre-trans or trans or renewal or whatever else.  I don't care what code snippets you list as "randomized events".  I want to see a refreshing take on the game that isn't refreshing just because you say it is and you want people to come in.

Playtester

Maybe give MouRO a second try? I heard Skotlex is still active.
Since rules state I need to provide a link: http://www.mou-ro.net/
Skotlex would probably say "Why don't you just go play Guild Wars 2?", though!

RoseTea

Skotlex is still active in the sense that he's still on the forums posting about how much he'd like to continue working on the server without any initiative to actually do it OR hand off the server to someone else.  The server hasn't seen anything major done to it in well over a year.  It's certainly a massive mathematical overhaul of the game, but it's all done in a mish-mashy sort of way where half of it makes the game more interesting, the other half actively makes the game more boring..  To an extent the server is garbage largely because it's a dead, no-longer developed server.  If I had enjoyed it, I would keep playing there.

ledah4

Hey, I'm sure you've seen my posts in other Seeking threads, but I'm Hildeblue from corrosivegames.net
Our community is small but we're all friends. We have 2 well-liked servers, Crush and Incognito.
Crush is a mid-high-rate and has 30+ custom classes along with a custom storyline that currently has 19 chapters, and Incognito is a lowrate with a classic RO environment, but we are currently in the process of implementing the custom classes there.
Our community takes pride in playing these two nearly fully customized servers. We all currently play Incognito primarily but Crush is our home and we always go back and play.
Now that summer has started, we are all taking part in pulling in some friends to enlarge the community.
To make an account on the server, make a forum account and "Link" a Ragnarok account in the User Control Panel at the top left.
Hope to see you in-game soon!

(take note that our patcher is currently down, to run the game open The Bosses Lair.exe. patcher will be fixed shortly.)

Fruit Pie~

I've suggested both MouRO and Corrosive to you before, it's old hat by now. Even if I couldn't install Corrosive at all and I don't think you even tried. Also, the last time we played MouRO we indirectly ruined WoE for everyone and NPC'd rare and expensive items, so it's best we don't go back there.

[edit by Triper: Fire-trucks appeared]

Playtester

There are changes that made MouRO more boring? When I played there, it felt like an arcade game you could just dive into and play for fun. Monsters were all random and could use all kinds of skills.

RoseTea

Quote from: Fruit Pie~ on Jun 24, 2013, 06:18 PM
[edit by Triper: Fire-trucks appeared]
Oh, come on.  Even I thought this was funny as hell.  (It was a well-crafted post suggesting TalonRO, for those who missed it.)

Quote from: Playtester on Jun 25, 2013, 02:21 AM
There are changes that made MouRO more boring?
I would be happy to discuss MouRO's many problems with you over PM.

Daletos

Quote from: RoseTea on Jun 25, 2013, 05:38 PM
Oh, come on.  Even I thought this was funny as hell.  (It was a well-crafted post suggesting TalonRO, for those who missed it.)

This. Fruit did an amazing job at advertising Talon, she should be hired. She even almost sold me, almostttttttt.

Sarin

Heavenly Maiden RO did a decent job of changing the game balance and pace, and overall makes an interesting experience, unfortunately there aren't many players left there. It might get up again or not, hard to say. I've been keeping eye on it from time to time, it just lacks players.

heavenlymaidenro.com

Triper

Quote from: Daletos on Jun 25, 2013, 05:50 PM
Quote from: RoseTea on Jun 25, 2013, 05:38 PM
This. Fruit did an amazing job at advertising Talon, she should be hired. She even almost sold me, almostttttttt.

It's fun until people start to complain about it. That type of drama isn't necessary here.