UtopiaRO

Started by Immortal, Jun 07, 2011, 02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Immortal

I would like to take an opportunity to tell you about my experiences at Utopia RO. Of course both the good and the bad just to be fair.

The particular SVN that is being used is quite buggy, a bit laggy, and not compatible with many of the "common" features such as more than one @alootid (told repeatedly they could not find one that would work), fly wings cause random crashes (had to /stateinfo hiding buff timers), lack of multiple chat channels.

They have some beautiful custom map.  Justin all about kawaii!  Unfortunately there are issues with some of the maps, for example, during the Easter event the special mobs constantly spawned outside of the usable part of the map making them impossible to kill.  On another of the maps there were gats that were not at the correct level, allowing you to "walk below" ground level.

Scavenger Hunt (automated), you get one hour to collect the mandate items and return to the NPC.  This function frequently requested items that are not available and/or cannot be collected in the one hour limit.  For example one time I was asked for 10 Medusa Heads, another it was for Tribal Solidarity. If you fail you cannot attempt for 24 hours...  makes the entire thing a bit useless.
Staff participation is allowed on "legit characters."

Monster Hunter (automated), divided by character level you choose what monster to kill, after killing a set number you get a certain number of points that can be used for rewards.  Included in the prizes offered are +10 stat food that do not dissipate after you die, these food are very cheap/easily obtained.  When I first started this was a character bound feature, recently it was changed so the points would be shared in the party.  The message received upon completion says that each member receives 5 points, however from our experience that is not what party members were awarded.  Additionally there is no statement explaining that all members had to be participating in this feature for it to work correctly.  Still have not been able to figure out if it has been fixed or not.

Ides of Utopia (automated), a (random) team PvP held 4 times a day again awarding a special point that can be used to buy rewards.  Can be fun but as with all random teams can be very unbalanced at times.  Also is lacking a clear set of rules/expectations for player.  For example I frequently played priest, many times there were multiple priest on one team, I choose to be in the base, at the spawn point, buffing those that had died as soon as they spawned, allowing them to continue the "battle" with full buffs, a nice advantage for them ~ not having to find a priest and ask for buffs...    One day another priest asked me "Has Saki (co-admin) told you that you can't stay in here?" I told her, "No, as a matter of fact she and Justin (server owner) have repeatedly been on my team and never said anything."  Her response I found a bit disturbing, "Oh, well maybe it is just because she hates me."  Another issue with this "PvP" event is that there are treasure chests, some magic, some physical, that contain "coins" the farming of these coins adds to the teams total.  Not sure how being lucky enough to have a team with someone capable of breaking both style chests improves the PvP experience, farming seemed to be the teams primary focus. Although it was stated (not sure about written) that Ides would have the same reductions/restrictions as WoE certian skills, such as backslide, and high jump (disabled this week) are still active.

Social Event (owner run), held most Friday nights.  These events offered a nice chance for additional prizes/points.  I would liked to have seen more variety~ scavenger hunts (available automated), cluck cluck boom doom (slight variation of the cluck cluck boom available automated) and Utopia Idol (singing competition).  These events frequently lacked organization and the timing of the earlier ones was a serious issue for those wishing to participate in the Friday night WoE.  The events when I first joined the server literally ended AT the START of WoE.  So if you were defending a castle you basically had to choose~ finish social event or be set up before WoE started.

WoE, (FE only), 2 castles available.  Unfortunately both castle suffer frequent errors, causing the client to crash and people to be warped back to town. Obviously an issue...  All staff are allowed to not only have "legit" characters but the owner participates in WoE, even has his own guild for it.

Holiday/Anniversary Events:
Easter event was a cute premise but was removed maybe a week early due to an unexpected server restart.  When I asked why it was not put back after the restart I was told, by the co-admin (verbally) that she didn't want to ask to have the server restarted again next week. At some point SOME of event mobs reappeared and were still spawning outside of the usable portion of the map. I brought the mob spawn locations to the owners attention and he seemed surprised that they were again/still in game as the event should have been over.
Anniversary event was to be full week of special events.  Again there were some really nice ideas but the over all experience was spoiled when the events were again canceled mid way.  When I asked why they had been cancelled I was told that some players were displaying lack of appreciation/complaining that they were too difficult.  The solution was to just remove them for the entire community. These events included scavenger hunts with the item lists compiled by staff that participated the actual event.
Staff participation is allowed on "legit" characters."

Now for the things that I disliked...

The suggestions thread on the forums was removed due to it causing drama.  As for what I personally witnessed it was people simply being rude when voicing differing opinions, rather opinions that were different from the owners vision for the server.

The Admin & Co-admin on several occasions have reacted in completely in a completely inappropriate manner.  These tantrums have been pointed a wide variety of people on the server. Examples would include but are not limited to a 10 hour mute for "wasting the staffs time" when wanting to debate a point, 2 week ban for a joke between long term friends that consisted of chatter about raping WoE/PvP, "Rape isn't a game, it's a way of life.", warning issued, by the owner, for a saying "it's about time you stupid faggot" in main. This comment was again between long term friends when one finally showed up in game after a month of his guild trying to get him here. The reason given for this being inappropriate is minors playing RO. This would not have been too disturbing if the server owner had not turned right around and make an extremely vulgar comment about the co-admins menstrual cycle, something like "bleeding cooch".  Personally I believe that of all people the Staff should behave in a manor that sets an example, behaviors to show their expectations of the community.  Expectations for Staff behavior - INCLUDING THE ADMINS - should be at a level far exceeding that of the community.  I do have to say that the two Event Managers that are on staff are EXCEPTIONALLY polite and respectful young ladies and from what I have seen do a wonderful job.

Having owned a server myself, I fully supported an Owner's right to implement policies for both his staff and players that will create the server of their specifications.  But I would expect a much more professional approach to dealing with issues that arise.

TL:DR
nice features if a bit buggy
staff needs to learn to control their tempers in stressful situation

for the best playing experience here? stick to your own people and you should be fine

Rhaeselon

Don't forget to stick to your own vent server as well, should you decide to play here. Minor disagreement with the administrator = instant ban from vent for "disrespecting staff." Don't get me wrong, though, I had a lot of fun on this server in the short time that I was here. It has many nice features that you won't find on most other servers, however, some of the more recent actions taken by the administrator and co-administrator do worry me quite a bit.

Cubano

Before I begin, I would like to say that my review is to be taken as constructive criticism and nothing more. The Owner can and will run the server how he sees fit, I'm just going to give my perspective from a competitive point of view.

UtopiaRO is advertised as a low-rate server, however I did not feel as I was playing a low rate at all.
To my understanding, as I was a low-rate player before, the low-rate community is looking for an environment similar to the one of the official RO servers without all the bots etc, a friendly community and a fun place to grind with events and such.
Competitive low-rate players, if they even exist anymore, want to challenge themselves in achieving MVP cards or even just basic WoE cards that will enhance their performance during GvGs.
With that said, during my stay on Utopia as brief as it was I felt as though I were playing on a high-rate server.
The rates are frequently doubled to that of a mid-rate, if this is the case, the server should just be advertised as a mid-rate server.
Some of the features of this server also make grinding take little to no effort.
There is an availablility of "PVM" MVP cards which can only be used exclusively for PVM purposes and are available via donate and in-game through other methods to my knowledge.
I myself (lazy as I am) had 3 HWs leech me on a map for less than an hour and I was already 99/70 trans without the use of any quests. I feel this should not be the case for a low-rate server but that is my opinion, anyway.

As for the items:
There is a custom item that I was completely 100% against the first time I looked at it and it is called the "Ghostring Scroll".
This item gives you Ghost Property armor for 1 minute and DOES NOT override a Marc Card. This is an incredibly overpowered item for a low-rate server and could easily be abused by a more competent guild then there are currently on the server (no offense to any of the players / guilds).
The server does not support third jobs and yet does have renewal items which to my knowledge were meant to be used by third jobs as they are very powerful, if not overpowered for trans classes to be using which completely unbalances the metagame that they are currently confused between.

Though I did have a minor, how should I say, involvement with current drama and some beforehand, I hold no hard feelings to the owner or his server and I have openly suggested other players to join it (see thread -> http://www.ratemyserver.net/forum/server-seeking/looking-for-a-pvm-oriented-low-to-mid-rate/0/).
The post I made there was not meant to be a troll post, I understand some players do wish to be in an environment where trolls are little or nonexistant.

With this, I leave just saying that in my opinion, the server should be closed, figure what rate the owner wants to have and make it accordingly, however I'm pretty sure he is running it how he sees fit, it's just my 2 cents.

Edit: I also do not believe I will be returning a third time around, maybe just to poke around and see if anything could amuse me but I do not wish to cause anymore trouble then I already have with players saying "blahblahblah y he no ban blahblahblah". Most of the community already has a heavy dislike of me and I could care less :P

rip deityRO

DemonicGhost

If I may..
These members were banned from UtopiaRO due to a high level of drama mongering, so, it's highly likely that they would write these reviews, accusing GMs of cheating in one form or another, or exaggerating nearly everything.

These are quotes from UtopiaRO players themselves, people that don't cause drama, that don't get banned.

QuoteNickname: Teddie
Msg: Hi, i don't have too much to say something but they are looking good. I think they are love this server because they are really fast at supporting and etc. It's over i can say this words for now thanks for reading and don't forget vote everyday.
How long have you been with uro: 3 or 4 weeks.

QuoteUro Nickname: Oni
Message: LOve how they know just when to provide the purple drank
Server time: About 8 months o-o

QuoteNickname: Nepli(Luís)
Msg: Dear administradors , i just want to say 2 words .

Thank you.

Despite of my some time absence, UtopiaRO has been a real home for me , i've meet so many friends here , friends that i do really care about and this was all your fault Utopia is a place of friendship , a place of harmony , a place of happiness. Utopia has been and is being one of the most incredible and enjoyable experiences in my life .
*directly to justin*
I am speaking to Justin because i don't know pretty much anything about the other admins, sorry about that. Your my RO server's admin , but more than that , this server made me be your friend! You are a true friend of mine , and i love you man ! you're the best :'D
*back to the server *
I think it is really good that the server actually relies on it's name because UtopiaRO is an Utopia for real and so i will always stand for Utopia at the first place ! After all this writing i just wanna say Thank you to everyone who made this dream possible.

Thank You UtopiaRO .

Always yours , Luís

PS - i've been playing for what? 11 months ? +/- that

QuoteYour nickname in URO: Hutchy
Messages: I first played one of Justin's servers in July of 2008 and every other server pales in comparison. If it's not run by J, it's completely uninhabitable. My interest in the game has been waxing and waning unpredictably, but whenever I'm craving that familiar feeling and sense of community, Utopia is there for me ♥. I am extremely thankful to J and Saki for creating and maintaining a safe and friendly space for people to play in. They don't get thanked enough for their hard work, but it is truly appreciated.
How long have you been with the server: FOREVER, on and off, lol.

Quotemy name is Wildmarine, UpRightMan, and Dekion I have been with the Utopia for about a moth and I totally enjoy this server, the GM's are great, and so far have been very helpfull, GREAT events, and my friends and I LOVE the MOTW oppertunity. Great Job.

QuoteMy nickname in uRO : angelofsadness,angelofsoulness,angelofrequiemess,angelofhatredess,angelofpainess,angelofdarkness,angelofdeathness,librasynius,soulness of life,amimi. Messages: i love utopiaRO,love Justin,love my true friends,love my chars, i wish utopiaRO will become most great/cool/famous/fun server ever. How long have you been with the server : i forgot around First opening i guess until now. Peace & May God Bless Us All ♥ (^_^)

QuoteHey

Nickname:Zaku

Justin-I've known ya for a few years and played on your server's before I've always had fun on them, and your still making RO fun keep up the good work. Oh and thanks for the hard work.

Saki-I don't know you real well but you seem like a cool and fun person . I'd like to say thanks, you are a valued member of the server and I'm happy that we have your assistance.

EMs Hikari and Hikaru- I enjoy all the events you do and all the effort you put towards the game for us thank you.

Been with the server- A month and a half

QuoteNickname: Adrian or Blue Phoenix
Messages: I am grateful to be part of this server and I'm glad for whatever server it happen so we go through and Justin thanks for the rate, saki thank you for being a good GM and EM thank the wonderful event
How long have you been with the server: 4 months

QuoteIvonavich
I just want to say that Justin, saki, and all the EMs are doing a good job last I saw, I haven't been on the server in a bit because I have dial-up and I have to re-download everything, but as soon as I can I'll be coming back because this is the friendliest and funnest RO I've ever been on
10 months... ish

QuoteNickname: Domokun/SnowFlakes
Messages: Oh my, Utopia JUST made it to its 1st year! I could still remember the noobish days we had last May 1st and now, UtopiaRO just established one IDEAL community that single RO player ever wanted for! Actually, I've got no regrets on joining here, I never enjoyed low rates before, but thanks to Justin's servers he made me enjoy low rates so much that each moment that I'd play here is always memorable. I wish Utopia will stay longer, let the stronger community be the strongest among the rest and the BEST server to all players. Utopians, we just earned the day that we'd been looking for, to reach its 1st anniversary! I love you all guildies, friends, staff and mostly YOU! ♥
How long: Since May 1, 2010.

Quote~My Message~
Guirk / Vassili
I've been playing on this server for a few months, and already it has been life changing, I've been a constant WoW player for about 5 years, and before that, I was an avid RO fan, on a server named EterniaRO, That server was hacked and destroyed by a team of hooligans, and ruined everything I loved about private tight knit servers, and This server has brought it, with even more to offer, I have yet to find a experience similar to what i feel playing URO, I wish to offer my thanks to EVERYONE who helps maintain and keep peace/justice on this server, It has brought me what I used to feel in ERO in a new thriving environment, which WoW couldn't even compete with on its best day. Again I would like to express my gratitude and my thanks to all involed and I will do my part to keep URO a fun and loving place.

P.S. Thanks again Michie for all your buffs in town ♥

Love,
The Almighty Guirk

QuoteHi~ Momo here~ ♥
Its just take me years to think about wat I can write... Bcoz its too hard to express how I love the sever just using words!
It has been around half year I've been played in this server, I love this server so much~
However,I'll try to write out my feelings now~ XD

Thx for Justin for creating this amazing server ♥
Thx for all the staffs (of coz including all the GMs & EMs) that maintaining the sever in good condition & created the harmony environment which makes me playing & spend my free time here without worries. I like killing my time here XD
Its like a 'Home' where we can hang around... chatting each other... having fun time together... share feelings... experience all kind of things...
I like the events that no matter its big or small, all of them are funny~ Those are so wonderful & interesting, I just cant stop for joining in! =3
I like the custom made towns, headgears & the custom pets's system! Even its almost killing me to make the homun pets, but I still like to create those pets! ♥
I hope that there will be more custom pets making system, so that i can collect those cute pets! X3
I like to 'travel' around the 'RO worlds' map, just searching wat things that I can do just for having my fun time~ Especially searching for the existing NPC & custom made NPC~
Bcoz of this server, I can make new friends over the boundaries that which I never expect in my life, especially I can meet 'Him' *shy* ehe...
It's fun to spend the time with friends to play around, doing quests, joining events & of coz, the scavenger hunt! Its really fun when we are cooperate in searching & making things just to reach the same target!

Once again,
Specially thx to Justin creating & maintaining this amazing sever! ♥
Specially thx to Saki for prepared my wonderful wedding place~ ♥ (Ban Hammer Rock!)
Specially thx to Hikari & Hikaru for holding the events! ♥
Specially thx to others GMs that i dunno for helping in maintain the server! ♥
You all are really amazing! You all are really nice! You all are really great! You all are really ROCK!
Thx for all the things YOU ALL done!
Thx for making me feeling 'I'm Home~' when I hang around!

Quotemy nickname in URO.... Whapa_Kill'z, Pepeng Agimat, WaNgak, <<<rOn>>> and many many more hehe
Whapa_kill'z
i wont 3rd job...!!
since april...

QuoteYour nickname in URO: Dwight, Jigsaw, cliff
Message: Justin, I have been with UtopiaRO since its beta days and I can say with extreme confidence that you, sir, are a one-of-a-kind GM. I've watched the server grow through its tough times and harsh times--and I can't help but keep coming back for more. Sure, the community is great-- but a big reason why I stay on UtopiaRO is because of you. You are the best GM. Thanks for hosting the server, hosting epic events, and constantly putting your time&effort for updates. I will continue to play on UtopiaRO and I hope to watch it blossom another full year. Happy Anniversary bb.

♥,
cliff
How long have you been with the server: Since Beta.

QuoteCarlo

Well, its been 1 year since the server started and i have seen Justin and Saki's effort and hard work on it... im so great-full in playing in such a nice server... their hardwork really paid off... im so thankful for making such a wonderful server... Thanks for all the help and assistance you have shown me... Thanks Justin and Saki for giving me a wonderful experience in your awesome server.... Happy 1st Anniversary URO and thank you....

QuoteNickname: miChi3
Msg: Sometimes I think a simple thank you is really what I need to say. uRO is really part of my life now and do you ever feel like: I'm going to quit now! This is too addictive! but somehow, you will come back to this server because there is something that you cannot leave behind. Players are so friendly! Although might not be all, but I guess most of them. :p Got to know many players from different places/countries. Thank you for everything! For those who have helped me before, thank you. If I ever did something that makes you feel annoyed, or offended, I'm sorry. 

Happy Anniversary! <3
I've joined this server since Nov 2010.

QuoteIn game name: Oli Sykes, Some One, Selecta

Message: Hi to Justin and the EM's and Saki, More power to you guys, uRO is the best because of you and your hardwork. This is the best server I've played because of good community and helpful staffs. I will be playing this server til' the end!~~

I've been here 3-4months ago i think.

QuoteMishy

I'm so happy the server has made to its first Anniversary. This is a great server and I hope it continues to thrive. I've met some really good friends over the past year since it opened and it has been such a wonderful experience. I still want to thank Justin for helping me out with my RAM issue when the server first opened. So THANK YOU, kind Sir. And Saki, you've always made me laugh and been helpful. To all other staff members thank you for helping provide a good environment to play in even with a few bad apples.

I've been playing with Uro since May 1st, 2010.

We be blessed as hell, hanney! <3

Tenshi

Hmmm, what to say here that hasn't been said already, no? After all the time I've known J in various incarnations of his server (since what, early-mid '08, shortly after SeRO v2 opened up?), he's been a great person to both play and work under. His ideas for improving the server in particular and RO as a whole have been very well thought out and executed, and has allowed for some very solid changes in the dynamic of how RO plays (all for the better, IMO). The people here are fun, and it's nice to be able to chill out in town and just chat up people I've known in some form or another for years, even if it's been a while since I've popped in. Yeah, I've been scarce these past several months (no internet + boot camp will do that! xD), but I still love this place and look forward to when I'm able to spend more time hanging out here. Hooyah uRO!

Time with the server: Since the 'ol days of yore

QuoteAludra

I've been playing off and on since September'ish of 2010. The population initially shunned me away, but by October I felt comfortable enough trying my first LR due to the amazing features. The community was incredibly inviting and kind; at the time, Sheila's Hairnet was a special drop item and someone gave it to me for free, along with a Romantic Flower. In around two days I managed to acquire a few cards that I still have in storage to this day. Regardless the server being 5/5/4, leveling was easy due to Justin and a few others giving me a boost-start off of the Monster of the Week (Sleepers.)

I've come back recently after a few months and after trying another server. I don't play intensely, but I do come in and look around for a bit since my characters remain all <75/5x non-trans. The change of rates was nice, and I commend Justin for doing that since 25/25/15 is more what I was looking for than 5/5/4. UtopiaRO really is the best server I've found since 2006 and I do have high hopes for it. During my absence, I've even come back a few times and posted, since I always like to see what's happening in the server regardless not playing anymore. Heck, I even voted when I was on hiatus.

My favourite thing outside of server features (which are marvelous, by the way) would be the authority here. I know this place is a haven from trolls and those "pro" WoE guilds that destroy communities and servers. Justin reminds me of how Niktout was, only he's generally kinder than Nik was. Authority was definitely in place for both Niktout, and for Utopia, though. You break the rules, doesn't matter if you donated or not, you're still taking the banhammer up the butt. I really appreciate that and only wish certain other servers hadn't babied the trolls to the point of self-destruction.

Utopia really has high potential and is an incredible server. The biggest + of the server would be the staff and community - all are mature and respectful, to my knowledge, and accepting of everyone who plays. I'm also a fadgirl for hats and Monster Hunting so that, too, is right up my alley. I just wish more players would experience Utopia and join our growing community so that we'll have more people to play with  but in order to do that, we need more reviews and more votes! and that takes the existing community's efforts to accomplish.

<3 Utopia

Time with the server: Eight Months, if forum time can be included

QuoteYour nickname in URO: Sero
Messages: URO; an amazing cornicopia of awesome people with an amazing leader, love you all!
How long have you been with the server: Since it was open, even though i havn't played it much... @_@ sowwies Justinnn

As you can see, there are MANY players who love the server, and have little to no problems with it, these three people have been BANNED from UtopiaRO, and do not depict people that actually play the server to enjoy RO, rather, people who join servers to "troll" and cause drama.
And not a single sh!t is given.

I don't start arguments I can lose.

Cubano

Quote from: DemonicGhost on Jun 07, 2011, 01:47 PM
If I may..
These members were banned from UtopiaRO due to a high level of drama mongering, so, it's highly likely that they would write these reviews, accusing GMs of cheating in one form or another, or exaggerating nearly everything.

As you can see, there are MANY players who love the server, and have little to no problems with it, these three people have been BANNED from UtopiaRO, and do not depict people that actually play the server to enjoy RO, rather, people who join servers to "troll" and cause drama.
Interesting, it seems you do not know the story at all.
As I said, and as Justin knows, I was banned for "association" with the player (Immortal) that was falsely accused of "drama mongering" and nothing more, I had nothing to do with whatever "drama" you people are talking about from the night before as I re-joined the server the day after. With no proof on either sides, the false in my previous statement is merely my interpretation, call it biased if you will but there is no solid evidence so all opinions are biased.

With that said, not one statement in my post accuses the GM of any cheating and I did not exaggerate any of the information.

Of course there are people who "love" the server, but if you also go through and read the bad reviews, which you failed to note, 90% of them note very similar ideas as to how the GM runs his server and how biased he is and how he immediately bans people without any warning or second thoughts to the situation.
Justin himself has even stated that a lot, if not all, of those issues were not dealt with in the correct manner and this will be changing in the future, ASAP.

TL;DR: Learn to read before you make posts just to defend a topic that you know little or nothing about, kthxbai.

Oh and btw, I and the other 2 players were unbanned from the server shortly after, because Justin realized his mistake;
Keep spreading false info broski ::)

rip deityRO

Immortal

Quote from: DemonicGhost on Jun 07, 2011, 01:47 PM
If I may..

These are quotes from UtopiaRO players themselves, people that don't cause drama, that don't get banned.

If having an opinion and daring to express it is drama mongering then we are all guilty... HOWEVER, I NEVER in any way or form have accused the Staff of this server of cheating in any form, nor did i exaggerate the good nor bad that was MY experience on the server. Once again, I have been, and continue to be VERY out spoken in my belief that the staff are playing Legit stated/skilled characters with equips that can be gotten via legitimate in game means. As always I have and will continue to support the rights of a server owner to handle their server as they see fit. This does not mean that I have to agree with what is done or how it is done.

As has already been stated, Justin has apologized both publicly and privately for the manner that this and other issues were handled.  He has also stated that there will be changes to the "staff policies", as with all things trial and error, hopefully some of these changes will bring a more professional approach to dealing with the rumors that seem to run so rampant.

GUTS

Quote from: Immortal on Jun 07, 2011, 02:56 AMI would like to take an opportunity to tell you about my experiences at Utopia RO. Of course both the good and the bad just to be fair.
Both the good and the bad?  Let's make a count of Positives and Negatives!

Firstly, let's get this magical line out of the way:

Quote from: Immortal on Jun 07, 2011, 02:56 AMStaff participation is allowed on "legit characters."
This is pasted several times during the review, but since there's no evidence of corruption in this regard, I can only assume it's either a passive-aggressive attempt at making a negative point of nothing, or perhaps a statement of the GM's excellence in temperance and eagerness to partake in their community.  For this purpose, it will remain neutral until established otherwise.

Quote from: Immortal on Jun 07, 2011, 02:56 AMThe particular SVN that is being used is quite buggy, a bit laggy, and not compatible with many of the "common" features such as more than one @alootid (told repeatedly they could not find one that would work), fly wings cause random crashes (had to /stateinfo hiding buff timers), lack of multiple chat channels.
Positives: 0
Negatives: 1-3

Quote from: Immortal on Jun 07, 2011, 02:56 AMThey have some beautiful custom map.  Justin all about kawaii!  Unfortunately there are issues with some of the maps, for example, during the Easter event the special mobs constantly spawned outside of the usable part of the map making them impossible to kill.  On another of the maps there were gats that were not at the correct level, allowing you to "walk below" ground level.
Positives: 1
Negatives: 1-2

Quote from: Immortal on Jun 07, 2011, 02:56 AMScavenger Hunt (automated), you get one hour to collect the mandate items and return to the NPC.  This function frequently requested items that are not available and/or cannot be collected in the one hour limit.  For example one time I was asked for 10 Medusa Heads, another it was for Tribal Solidarity. If you fail you cannot attempt for 24 hours...  makes the entire thing a bit useless.
Negatives: 1

Quote from: Immortal on Jun 07, 2011, 02:56 AMMonster Hunter (automated), divided by character level you choose what monster to kill, after killing a set number you get a certain number of points that can be used for rewards.  Included in the prizes offered are +10 stat food that do not dissipate after you die, these food are very cheap/easily obtained.  When I first started this was a character bound feature, recently it was changed so the points would be shared in the party.  The message received upon completion says that each member receives 5 points, however from our experience that is not what party members were awarded.  Additionally there is no statement explaining that all members had to be participating in this feature for it to work correctly.  Still have not been able to figure out if it has been fixed or not.
This paragraph is mainly neutral (it would seem logical that to get rewards from an activity, players in a party would all have to be participating in said activity first).

Quote from: Immortal on Jun 07, 2011, 02:56 AMIdes of Utopia (automated), a (random) team PvP held 4 times a day again awarding a special point that can be used to buy rewards.  Can be fun but as with all random teams can be very unbalanced at times.  Also is lacking a clear set of rules/expectations for player.  For example I frequently played priest, many times there were multiple priest on one team, I choose to be in the base, at the spawn point, buffing those that had died as soon as they spawned, allowing them to continue the "battle" with full buffs, a nice advantage for them ~ not having to find a priest and ask for buffs...
A neutral informative, a negative, and an anectode, so...

Quote from: Immortal on Jun 07, 2011, 02:56 AMOne day another priest asked me "Has Saki (co-admin) told you that you can't stay in here?" I told her, "No, as a matter of fact she and Justin (server owner) have repeatedly been on my team and never said anything."  Her response I found a bit disturbing, "Oh, well maybe it is just because she hates me."
Negative anectode with no evidence, but regardless...

Quote from: Immortal on Jun 07, 2011, 02:56 AMAnother issue with this "PvP" event is that there are treasure chests, some magic, some physical, that contain "coins" the farming of these coins adds to the teams total.  Not sure how being lucky enough to have a team with someone capable of breaking both style chests improves the PvP experience, farming seemed to be the teams primary focus. Although it was stated (not sure about written) that Ides would have the same reductions/restrictions as WoE certian skills, such as backslide, and high jump (disabled this week) are still active.
I'm leaving this one alone, largely since I can't decide exactly how much of either is put in here.  It's a mainly negative statement, however.

Quote from: Immortal on Jun 07, 2011, 02:56 AMSocial Event (owner run), held most Friday nights.  These events offered a nice chance for additional prizes/points.  I would liked to have seen more variety~ scavenger hunts (available automated), cluck cluck boom (available automated) and Utopia Idol (singing competition).
Cluck Cluck Boom is actually different than Cluck Cluck Boom, which is the usual hosted event of that style, and is not automated.

Quote from: Immortal on Jun 07, 2011, 02:56 AMThese events frequently lacked organization and the timing of the earlier ones was a serious issue for those wishing to participate in the Friday night WoE.  The events when I first joined the server literally ended AT the START of WoE.  So if you were defending a castle you basically had to choose~ finish social event or be set up before WoE started.
Negatives: 2

Quote from: Immortal on Jun 07, 2011, 02:56 AMWoE, (FE only), 2 castles available.  Unfortunately both castle suffer frequent errors, causing the client to crash and people to be warped back to town. Obviously an issue...  All staff are allowed to not only have "legit" characters but the owner participates in WoE, even has his own guild for it.
Negatives: 2 (I'm counting the "owner participates" as negative in this case, since Cubano really seems to try to hammer that in)

Quote from: Immortal on Jun 07, 2011, 02:56 AMHoliday/Anniversary Events:
<This paragraph trimmed for brevity>
Positives: 1-3
Negatives: 1-3

Quote from: Immortal on Jun 07, 2011, 02:56 AMNow for the things that I disliked...
If the previous was what you've liked, I'd hate to see what you disliked!

Quote from: Cubano on Jun 07, 2011, 02:02 PMOh and btw, I and the other 2 players were unbanned from the server shortly after, because Justin realized his mistake;
I would argue this says something about Justin's ability to actually admit he was wrong, rather than anything scandalous.

Cubano

There is a lot of "negative" in Immortal's post but I believe she meant to put that as constructive criticism so these issues could be fixed; I'm sure she likes the features themselves otherwise she wouldn't have stayed there for so long.

I don't see anything in my statement that would make it seem as if it were 'scandalous'.

And what do you mean:
Quote from: GUTSI'm counting the "owner participates" as negative in this case, since Cubano really seems to try to hammer that in
I said nothing about him playing WoE, nor do I really care if he does so long as he doesn't @item anything for himself to give him an unfair advantage, nor do I believe he has done so either so don't try to say that I have (if I have please post some PROOF as you children need to learn what this is, and please don't photoshop or cheap paint stuff, [meme]I can tell the difference from the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my day[/meme]).

Though if you meant IMMY'S statement "Staff participation is allowed on "legit characters.", she is merely saying this as part of a review because A LOT of players do not like GMs participation in pretty much anything event / PVP / WoE / MVP wise.

Cluck Cluck Boom != Cluck Cluck Boom
just like: 2 != 2

P.S. Bring in the rest of your troops, I'd be happy to give them all a licking ::)

rip deityRO

GUTS

Quote from: Cubano on Jun 07, 2011, 03:19 PM
I said nothing about him playing WoE, nor do I really care if he does so long as he doesn't @item anything for himself to give him an unfair advantage, nor do I believe he has done so either so don't try to say that I have (if I have please post some PROOF as you children need to learn what this is, and please don't photoshop or cheap paint stuff, [meme]I can tell the difference from the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my day[/meme]).
Unless you're Immortal, I'm not sure why you're resorting to name-calling on something that is not addressed to you to begin with.

Quote from: Cubano on Jun 07, 2011, 03:19 PMCluck Cluck Boom != Cluck Cluck Boom
just like; 2 != 2
This is absolutely confusing to me.  The point I mentioned was that the social event was called Cluck Cluck "Doom", and the automated one "Boom".  The hosted event is entirely different from the automated one.  Unless you find me mistaken in some way?

gerrard_mino

as a player of UtopiaRO i do believe that Immortal was only providing constructive critisism and if you must know i was one of those that were banned in this "issue" am i complaining about it.  no im not im only saying the truth of what had happened to me.  i was muted for 9,000 minutes before getting banned for sticking up for my friends that were in trouble when i was trying to find the truth of what had happened.  as of right now i do believe that justin is a bit biased because he does play it is not possible for a GM to make a non biased decision when he or she is involved in the said situation.  and in my opinion i do believe that the owner of the server does need to seperate his personal opinions from his profesional opinion BEFORE making an educated decission.

Cubano

Quote from: GUTS on Jun 07, 2011, 03:02 PM
(I'm counting the "owner participates" as negative in this case, since Cubano really seems to try to hammer that in)

... since Cubano really seems to try to hammer that in

... since Cubano ...
You "came at me bro!".

And also:
Quote from: GUTS on Jun 07, 2011, 03:02 PMCluck Cluck Boom is actually different than Cluck Cluck Boom, which is the usual hosted event of that style, and is not automated.
I fail to see any mention of "Cluck Cluck Doom".

rip deityRO

GUTS

I apologize, then.  I was scrolling through the Topic Summary and somehow connected your name with the original post.

As for the D/Boom issue...

Quote from: Immortal on Jun 07, 2011, 02:56 AMcluck cluck boom doom (slight variation of the cluck cluck boom available automated)

It seems like it was edited accordingly just now.

Cubano

My post has been editted accordingly, then.

rip deityRO

Immortal

Quote from: GUTS on Jun 07, 2011, 03:29 PM
Unless you're Immortal, I'm not sure why you're resorting to name-calling on something that is not addressed to you to begin with.

Please explain...  no where have I "name called", I simple wrote a review that includes information that, from my experience as player/GM/Owner, was requested by others looking at servers. I attempted to include accurate information about some of the more unique item/features and staff interactions that I experienced on a server.

Kyomi

People are entitled to their own opinions, and all they were doing was sharing their own personal experience on the server. That is why this section is here. Even if their experience was bad, you can't expect every single person to enjoy your server or have a pleasant experience there.

No sense starting an argument over someone's opinions, as they're entitled to them, and I'd prefer it if you all refrained from taking this any further, as there's no sense in doing so.

GUTS

Quote from: Immortal on Jun 07, 2011, 04:01 PMPlease explain...  no where have I "name called",
Notice how I was quoting Cubano and not yourself.

Its me 100500

Utopia is a server based upon Drama only.
The people that actually PLAY the server, can be counted on two hands.
All the players there just sit in town and create drama with each other.

Has an extremely, and i say this with emphasis ,EXTREMELY biased Head-Admin, who will always side with players that he "favors" more than others, no matter what the situation may be, whether it is something as simple as people making verbal comments to each other in town, or something along the lines of stealing an account. The person who is friends with the admin, always ends up out of trouble, as if nothing had happened to them.

Cubano

Justin, before I leave this thread, I really hope you did not take my post as "sarcastic" constructive criticism because I don't see how it could have, at all.
I didn't attack you, the server or anyone else in my post(s), it's merely my 2 cents from a competitive point of view.

Quote from: jTynnesupported with at the very least, screenshots of behaviors to provide sound examples, recordings of conversations
Take this as an attack, I don't care, but you're being a hypocrit.
The fact that you want them to provide screenshots etc. is completely ironic because NONE OF THIS would have happened if you required this from the people accusing them. It is easy to record a channel on Ventrilo, it is easy to press a button and go to your screenshots folder and send it to a GM and from what I understand, none of this was given to you, you only took their word for it.
I understand these are RMS's requirements, but before you demand something on another site, you should probably do the same on your half.

Currently, my general opinion of the server: it is PVM based with no intention of having real competition for WoE / PVP.
WoE / PVP are just implemented for players to have something else to do.

There's nothing wrong with that, but you should just make this a little more clear in your advertisements / forums / mainsite to stray away any unwanted players and it will save you and many others a lot of time / further trouble imo, since a high majority of the PVP / WoE competitive community are trolls which I know from experience you do not want any on your server, period.

As I said before, I will be poking around just to talk with the community on my down time because I'm not gonna lie, for the most part they're friendly (when they don't know it's me talking to them).

Lastly, as I've told you before I have no hard feelings towards you so please don't take this as if I do, you're a cool guy and whatever but if you don't like me just ban me ingame and you won't have to deal with my presence anymore.

Thanks,
Cubano

rip deityRO

Immortal

When did it become policy for a REVIEW, which is all this is, to require PROOFS???  I am not sure why such a big deal is being made over an HONEST review.  This is a REVIEW, critique, both good and bad of my experience, why must people try to make it anything else.

Warock

This is server review section It does not need any proof , its just ones opinion If its bad or good move ahead nothing to make a drama i think Some of the staff should closed this or it might land up in rant & rave

What i feel if a player reviews good just move ahead with your practices or if player reviews bad give a decent apology find out why they felt it bad that result in bad reviews and make it right or you feel its just hoax review just give a polite statement and move ahead
My guild has joined the event to become world champions in the ragnarok world have you? Click here know more

yC

DeAmascus requested his post to split into a new topic in Rant.  Doing as he requested.

If anyone is interested in his side story, it's here http://forum.ratemyserver.net/rant-and-rave/utopiaro-19455/

Otherwise this topic should stay around Immortal's experience.

Ruin

Quote from: yC on Jun 26, 2011, 07:03 PM
DeAmascus requested his post to split into a new topic in Rant.  Doing as he requested.

If anyone is interested in his side story, it's here http://forum.ratemyserver.net/rant-and-rave/utopiaro-19455/

Otherwise this topic should stay around Immortal's experience.

are you going to move the rest back or am I making a new topic with my experience? This was directly related to immortal's

yC

Ruin, it shall be more appropriate for you to move discussion to the other topic as well.  You posted after DeAmascus today and it was more related to his issue of being ban from what I read.

Cubano

This is related to the review as far as I can tell since it was based off of my short review of the server.
Click here and scroll down (or switch pages if this gets old enough) to my post: Cubano

Quote from: jTynneReviewer was banned for association with others who promoted drama, rumor mongering, and causing dissent within the community. Reviewer is a known "griefer" who uses loopholes in rule setups to justify his behavior. Originally banned for discussing rape in front of a rape survivor in-game despite requests to stop. This review was posted after an incident which involved he, another reviewer (gerrard_mino), and two others, who were all banned for a string of drama / gaming disruptions.

My ban reason: Association
Need I say more?
I will because I can.

I don't use loopholes, I use your own rules to "justify" my actions.
Again in the original ban, there was no one telling my to stop my "discussion" of rape which was used in a different context in my chat, and it was not directed to the person who reported me, who to my understanding wasn't even the rape victim, it was his friend.

Edit: Also, after I posted this (as I admit I was really peeved at his actions again) after I calmed down I offered to remove the review and he said something along the lines of "no keep it, it was an honest review and I appreciate it so I can further deterr any future incidents like this happening again, I've already put the PMs on a forced Hiatus, sorry for the problems" and then asked me if I wanted to stay or not in which I said yes and would've happily put that behind me.
Little snake isn't he? ::)

Again, this GM is absolutely biased and has no clue what he is doing. Period end of discussion.
Have a nice life.

rip deityRO