RoForever

Started by senshiminako, Dec 22, 2006, 01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

senshiminako

may someone please do a review on RoForever. I would like to know how the ro community views this server.

Big Boss

Who's supposed to do the reviews? This is probably one of the coolest lower rate servers out there :).

Emeralda

Maybe, but it's totally deserted.

senshiminako

please don't flame it say something more than a one liner, i know it has a small community but its growing, using the word "deserted" sounds so negative, we have about 50 people online average. Say like there is a small community because...blahblahblah or something. This server so needs some constructive criticism.

Emeralda

Well, compared to aRO it is true:

ROf ~50 online
aRO ~1500 online (it was 3 months ago though, it's now probably more)

Yes, I know it was a harsh word and if you felt bad because of it than I'm sorry. I just try to state the truth.

EDIT: Due to a request of a mod on ROf I won't be using now the word deserted. Instead it will look like this from now on: population is low but it's still growing... yeah, I know, it spoils all my fun.

Big Boss

Why on earth would you make an absolutely terrible comparison such as that? You may as well not even post here much if you wont use constructive criticism :). You cannot compare that server with aRO lol. It isn't really a fair comparison as animaRO has been out for a MUCH longer time than ROF. Thats the tip of the iceberg lol. Its also funny, its deserted yet someone with your same sig and avatar hangs in the forums religiously lol. It cant be that bad if someone hangs around only the forums if anything lol.

Emeralda

Because the person on the forums there is me. I hang out on many forums, and one of them is ROf. And since I'm there, I might as well say some things about it. It sadly happens though that the only thing I could really say about it is the low population. If you treated it as a flame than I can only say I didn't intend it to be one and if you were insulted by this than I apologize as I didn't intend this as well.

Windsong

Quote from: Emmie on Dec 28, 2006, 12:39 PM
Because the person on the forums there is me. I hang out on many forums, and one of them is ROf. And since I'm there, I might as well say some things about it. It sadly happens though that the only thing I could really say about it is the low population. If you treated it as a flame than I can only say I didn't intend it to be one and if you were insulted by this than I apologize as I didn't intend this as well.
Emmie, I am confused as to why someone who seems to say that they only read the server's forums would then try to review that server.  If you've only read the forums, it follows that you've never actually played on RoForever, yes?  If you haven't, then you can't properly rate it--that's how it seems to me, anyway.  Thank you for your input, though...?  O_o

I played on RoForever for...oh...*thinks*  5 months, I think?  I stopped playing because real life is a silly thing and I had no time to play anymore, but I still go back to visit every now and then.  I enjoyed my stay there, for the most part.  The server is very well-maintained, and the player base for the most part is mature, friendly, and pretty helpful.  There are also oodles of really, really nifty customizations; the GMs work very hard to make the place interesting, and they're constantly updating and adding new things.  I think that was the best part--seeing all the cool stuff the GMs kept coming up with.  They had this really cool moving NPC, and they have all these fun things like a mining quest and a fishing quest.  They even made a new map called "Dark Prontera" for Halloween, I heard.  Also, the server has very little lag and mostly works how it's supposed to.

As for the cons: like many other servers, there are donation incentives (items), and yes, there are donation races.  I suppose if that turns you off, you might want to go somewhere else.  The server also has a very high level of drama.  (Then again, don't most RO servers?  XD)  The GMs and the player base can often get into very large, very disruptive fights.  This is because both the GMs and some of the top players have tempers that are set off easily, and then they overreact, and then everyone else gets dragged into it.  O_o 

If you're looking for a place with a fun community and lots of really nifty features you can't find anywhere else, check out RoForever.  However, if you do play I advise you to focus on just enjoying the game and the community, and try to actively avoid the drama.  It'll save you from pulling your hair out.  XD

(Please note that I haven't played in a while, so my information might be slightly outdated.  Oh well...? O_o)

dook

i dont think server population should be an issue when reviewing a server. its not their fault they havent been around for long, or dont have time to endlessly advertise their server. some large servers are terrible, but ppl stay there because they dont want to start again from scratch somewhere else, or blindly defend it when they have no experience of other server, or friends are there etc. in its favour small server communities often dont consist of elitist/lazy/emo/drama/childish players, and dont want to attract these players either.
after reading all the stuff on animaRO i thought to myself 'oh god i hope my server doesnt end up like this' luckily i dont need the money so i offer no prizes for donations, and they certainly dont unbalance the server. if people want to donate they wont get any stronger, but have other rewards like custom npcs and guild bases and things. perhaps people need to stop looking at RO server as a way to make money, and do it for the love of the game and customisation. if your admin arent in it for the right reasons then it will all end badly i think.

Big Boss

The server seems to be way past that. There hasn't been any specific kind of deep drama in such a while and now the GM's are seemingly more silent and working in the background, offering help and words every now and then :). The drama is mainly personality based. With each player comes a certain type of attitude, whether good or bad. Every server has it. When many different kinds of attitudes and ways of dealing with certain personality types come together, some type of unease will ensue most definitely.

dook

it sounds nice tbh :) if i wasnt so busy id come check it out.

senshiminako

@bump btw our server is growing a little  :D

Loki FortunaRO

Does seem like a good place, honestly.  ^_^  If I did anything other than roleplaying, I'd probably try it.  Allowing Same-Sex marriage!  Go you!  It makes me so sick to see servers that actually won't impliment the -included- script!  Seriously, it's not hard to change a single number in the configuration.

ANYWAY!  Small population isn't always a bad thing.  It makes botters and problem players a lot easier to spot.  n_n Don't get discouraged by people who are only out there looking for the "big servers".  My own has a population that rarely puts me over 40 users at a time, and I LIKE it that way.

Also, you seem to do very well with putting in customs!  That's excellent.  Customs are the thing that creative players look for!  Keeps every server from being a cookie-cutter replica of the other.  I commend you!