Reddit RO review

Started by Ardathur, Sep 06, 2014, 09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ardathur

Background on myself:
I first played RO 11 years ago, since then I've played on 3 different servers, on and off. I've been playing RedditRO since it went up around 4 months ago.

Pros:
- Server run by a mature, volunteer team. Friendly and fair
- No donations to affect the game, plus to avoid corruption in GMs/server owner
- Vanilla-experience (being a low-rate server), although it's been modernised with custom NPC's and other adjustments
- Dual-client allowed. Hehe this might be a controversial topic, but they allow multiple instances of RO and I love it. Some guy was playing 10 Royal Guards at the same time at one point, so funny. But it's definitely more fun and helpful to have multiple chars.

Cons:
- There is a community of regulars but it would be nice to have a few more new players (avg population: 50 ppl, 90 at peak)

Server:
Availability - 10 - Always online, unless being updated by GM team
Stability - 9 - One of the more stable servers I've played on, occasionally can have slight lag

Community:
Friendliness - 10 - Everyone's very nice and helpful
Eventfulness - 9 - There are lots of automated events to get RedditRO coins to redeem for nice items. GM's also occasionally run events too for everyone

GM team:
Friendliness - 10 - Nice people, seem to be mature RO lovers
Availability - 10 - They've got a decent team of volunteers, so there's always a GM sitting in Prontera
Helpfulness - 10 - Again, if they're available, they're going to help, so nothing to fault here

Gameplay:
Economy - 8 - It's fairly easy to farm items yourself, so I find myself not buying much from others, unless it's a rare card
Guild competition - 7 - The server's only 4 months old so I guess it needs more players, I'll write about guild competition more below
Class balance - 10 - They take balance seriously here, making a big nerf to Rangers recently to name one

Donation:
No donations, the GMs have specified it's to avoid corruption and controversy. You can vote for points, but the points can only be redeemed for coins to get aesthetic-hats, there are no hats that increase stats or anything

Customisation:
The GM team of coders are always updating the game, so I'd say it's good. Custom automated events run all the time, etc

Comments:
The server was booming around 2 months after it started, but when WoE started, there was alot of drama (as you expect) and the two biggest guilds quit. I wish people had harder skin and didn't take the game so seriously. After the two biggest guilds quit, the server went to half its size and it's stayed around the same, growing just a little since then. Currently, different guilds dominate WoE because there aren't enough players to form an opposing guild to battle fairly.

You can talk on /r/RedditRO anytime on Reddit so it's useful. In conclusion, I love it, try RedditRO and bring your friends. With more players, this server will be awesome.

Bue

This server looks and sounds pretty annoying. I wonder why.

Is it the wanna-be 'coders' vibe I got from their staff page, amateurs? The shabby template style review; advertisement attempt? Server named after a popular social website; do they even have permission? Is it the single control panel website? Is the stagnant population a sign that the server really has nothing to offer? Is it because its hosted on a cheap VPS?

Too many red flags.

dontknowright

That's cruel, but I agree.

It's almost as if it was supposed to be a joke, but somehow stuck.

It might be best to appear more serious in order to compete with all the other servers out there.

BugCatcher

Been playing on this server since it opened up, and it has really come a long way! There are no donations besides the random funny things you can get like 100 stones. Donating is purely out of wanting to help the server. They really don't even need the donations. The player base has been staggering, but we have a solid group of regulars that play. This server has great potential. The GMs push out an update for bug fixes, and sometimes new content just about every week. Our scripters, and host do a great job coding and making sure the server is running properly. The community has it's bad eggs, but that can be said for any server. For the most part the community has been amazing. Everyone is super helpful, and we use Reddit as a medium for discussing server issues and changes. To any new or old players on the fence about trying out a renewal server, I would highly recommend joining us. I had never played renewal or even stuck to a low rate before, and so far this has been the most fun I have had playing RO. If you do end up joining us send me a message on Martin!  /no1

Bue

How did you guys manage to get a license from Reddit for your private server.

http://www.reddit.com/wiki/licensing

Your comma slicing is very annoying.

Remmi

I have always thought it was Reddit themselves hosting the server. They have their own thread there.

Bue

Anyone can create their own subreddit, but you will need a license for putting the name Reddit on whatever you create.

I find it hard to believe that they got a license approved for a private Ragnarok server that is hosted on a $5 VPS and ran by a bunch of web developers.

pusanginamoy

The only thing i love about Reddit is The Fappening.   /gg

Meta

They called it RedditRO because it was started by a bunch of redditors. I doubt they meant to make it seem like it was run by Reddit.

BugCatcher

Quote from: Bue on Sep 07, 2014, 05:13 AM
How did you guys manage to get a license from Reddit for your private server.

http://www.reddit.com/wiki/licensing

Your comma slicing is very annoying.

The name was chosen because the server was started by redditors. I wasn't aware that people were so nitpicky on RMS. Though if the only thing you can find bad about a server is the name, then it must be pretty good. You should come play with us and find out what the server has to offer.  /kis

Tom~

Quote from: BugCatcher on Sep 07, 2014, 11:56 AMI wasn't aware that people were so nitpicky on RMS.
Bue is a special cupcake. /kis

The server looks kinda interesting, if anything because it has a decent amount of active players for a server that isn't doing things the "normal" way. The subreddit doesn't look all that active, though. Hm.

And so you killed yourself,
but you killed everyone else around you too.

BugCatcher

Quote from: Tom~ on Sep 07, 2014, 12:10 PM

The server looks kinda interesting, if anything because it has a decent amount of active players for a server that isn't doing things the "normal" way. The subreddit doesn't look all that active, though. Hm.

Yea man, it's kind of strange that so many people have stuck to a server that doesn't have a warper or job changer. I honestly didn't think I would, but so far it has been awesome. I honestly think it's because of all the updates and communication between players and gms.

Bue

This whole routine has been tried and true here on RMS.

The server's administrator or henchmen comes in and write a shabby review.

Whenever these servers get real criticism, they either pretend like its nothing or dig a deeper grave.

It is the same type of attitude and routine that desperate restaurant owners do when they have a poorly functioning everything with their smokes and mirrors.

I was expecting a more up-front reply on my suspicions, but now it seems pretty obvious.

flyingheo

@Bue: I agree. That's the reason why I didn't want to post in this thread so it would sink from RMS's front page.

BugCatcher

Quote from: Bue on Sep 07, 2014, 02:35 PM
This whole routine has been tried and true here on RMS.

The server's administrator or henchmen comes in and write a shabby review.

Whenever these servers get real criticism, they either pretend like its nothing or dig a deeper grave.

It is the same type of attitude and routine that desperate restaurant owners do when they have a poorly functioning everything with their smokes and mirrors.

I was expecting a more up-front reply on my suspicions, but now it seems pretty obvious.

I didn't think it was necessary to respond to your suspicions since they are baseless. How can you be a critic if you don't try out what you are critiquing?  /ok It just makes your critique meaningless.

Warp

The server is stable and doesn't lag much if ever.

The community is very closed and uninclusive. We (Avalunch, the a******" of the server) have brought in and included most of the newer players because the rest of the guilds ignore them.

The GM's are basically children. They do everything based off of personal feelings and not logic. At least three of them are in BugCatcher's guild if that interests anyone. Their events are less interesting than the automatic ones which says a lot. (they've run dice, kill a shining plant? wtf?, hide and seek). They mass downvote posts they disagree with on their subreddit according to BugCatcher.

The economy is terrible. People sell everything for 100mil and it never gets bought.

Nobody comes to WoE, the other two WoE guilds quit to play other games after we annihilated them with fewer numbers.

Class balance is w/e, it's a mostly standard server.

Customization is w/e, not good or bad.

Also Martin(BugCatcher) is a GM in all but name, he basically tells them what to do and what opinions to have.

Edit: they'll probably punish me for this post. Karma points! (they use the built-in karma points that mute you, seriously)

flyingheo

Can we just move this to rant section? Since it be much better  /heh Also, Warp, do you have any type of evidence that Bugcatcher is the GM? If you do, then it will be funnier.  /lv

Warp

Quote from: flyingheo on Sep 15, 2014, 03:05 PM
Can we just move this to rant section? Since it be much better  /heh Also, Warp, do you have any type of evidence that Bugcatcher is the GM? If you do, then it will be funnier.  /lv

Didn't really care enough to collect evidence. If you play on the server it's just something that's obvious.