TalonRO review

Started by Enlightenment, Feb 03, 2011, 05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enlightenment

Lets talk about TalonRO. Ive been on this server for a long time and I have quite a few characters on it. Ive also been apart of several different guilds so I feel I know quite a bit about how the community, economy and GM team work. First off I would like to talk about the stability and uptime of the server. I would like to remark that I have never witnessed the server having substantial down time. When it is down, its usually because of a reboot or a patch they're applying for more content or adding an event so most of the time it is justified. Now, lets discuss the community. The community, like any, cant be summed up in a general statement like good or bad. A variety of players make up TalonRO's community. However I would like to note on a specific situation, I dont really have any friends that started the game with me, or any friends that got me into this game. I started on my own accord having that established, when I started I was completely lost. TalonRO was not the first server I played on and when I started I learned so much more about the game and heres why, if you ever have a question and ask the main community channel it will usually get answered without judgement and with a courteous response by either player or GM.

Would I say the community is active? You better believe it. Events are consistent. Its not even that they're consistent, the GM's are always trying to think of new and inventive ways to plan events. I recall a GM even having a down to earth discussion with me about the events in-game. Thats something else I would like to add, the games are REAL down to earth people. They arent pretentious and they dont have a holier than thou attitude. When you deal with a GM you deal with someone with real quirks, a personality. Its really nice. In terms of availability, well theres always one way to reach a GM. If its not ingame its via support ticket OR forums. They give you a plethora of options which is something thats good. It shows they're good. It shows they're dedicated. And in terms of helpfulness. Well, im sure this varies from person to person. There are some things GMs can help you with, and some things they just cant change in the game. Players have to accept this, but if we're talking about a GM going the extra mile to help a player I believe the GM would do it, GM's are people too, people with lives outside of managing a server. But the level of dedication and effort the GMs of TalonRO show is well.. Its marvelous. Its exquisite. Its the bees knees, gov'.

I've covered the GM and server stability bases so now I want to talk a little time to mention the economy. Much like a playerbase, an economy cannot be summed up in a few short sentences. At least not our economy. Depending on your perspective and what you need, you'll either tear your hair out or have a big dumb grin on your face. I dont think the economy is easy to manipulate and work but I do believe that is a good thing. We get a lot of new players, and they're always challenging the economy. Changing it, even veteran players are constantly questioning it, forcing it into what they believe should be fair. When these two sides collide we end up with a chaotic mess of entropy. And I love that about our economy.

War of emperium and pvp in general is quite a big aspect on our server. A lot of players take part in it and to be honest, its the motivator for a lot of competitiveness and ego crushing. Its an amazing thing, looking at how it works. How people get so motivated to defend their guilds honor, how players go hand in hand, co operate and work hard to co ordinate in order to conquer castles and earn bragging rights over others. Its also a great feeling when you contribute in helping your guild win a castle, or defeat a rival guild. While the competitiveness can admittedly get out of hand sometimes it can (and most of the time does) act as motivation for many players to gear up, level up and work hard to represent their guild. Guild and player competitiveness is good for the server because quite frankly it pushes you to not suck at the game and your class, and our sever has an active pvp group. So what does that tell you about TalonRO?  :)

Finally I would like to say a few things about game balance. I feel this is one of the hardest topics to sum up and its also one of the most difficult topics to put delicately, as others will always be ready to criticize your perspective (unless of course you're a fence sitting enabler  ::) ). When you talk about Ragnarok Online and balance, you have to consider class counters, card counters, elemental counters etc, etc. However when you're talking about Ragnarok Online private servers things like custom weaponry comes into play and mvp cards. The GM's have created a system for our server where anyone, no matter who you are can get MvP carded gear. It brings an element of fair play and balance to the server. It gives newer players a chance at competing with older players, or at the very least they're not helpless. We also have a 15 second cooldown imposed on the hot-topic monk ability Asura Strike (Guilotine Fist). I love this. I love this about our server, and I think its a testament to how the GM's care about game balance. I think that the game is fairly balanced. If you walk into WoE alone, you're going to get murdered. However if you co ordinate with your friends and guild mates, you will be successful and you'll be rewarded with an engaging pvp experience.

Thats all I have to say about TalonRO. My favorite Ragnarok Online server.

KingDragonZ

nice 8/10

Stop posting these useless messages

3 day warn