Ragnarok Travels

Started by LavosRT, Feb 04, 2021, 09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LavosRT

where to start /...

Yes, there are a few 1x servers out there right now, but all are unique in their own way. Some use emulators and for people who like to play emulator mechanics they will think those are the "best". Some servers don't use emulators and usually offer less custom features, but more authentic gameplay and to those players that prefer those mechanics they will be the "best". But let me iterate something everyone needs to understand... There will NEVER be a private server that is 100% accurate to the original game that all us nostalgia-seeking nerds that are still playing this game are looking for. The hard working GMs and admins that run these servers do so because of their passion for the game and try their hardest to deliver to the best of their abilities a platform for all of us to enjoy the game we love.

All servers have their own way of trying to be authentic and that's fine. What's not fine are the negative reviews that servers receive from players that are looking to prevent someone from playing a rival server or toxic players that got banned for breaking rules and go out kicking and screaming throwing internet-tantrums. These servers are passion projects for their creators more time than not and to have crybabies that don't get their way taking fat steamy dumps on them in reviews must be super disheartening. You have to take RMS reviews with a HUGE grain of salt because more times than not someone who leaves a negative review is someone who is pissed off and not looking to "review" the server, but to drive it into the ground.

Review:
First, Ill just come out and address the elephants in the room... the largest complaint from people who have tried the server and left is that in the server's current configuration European players have high latency and are forced to live with it or use a vpn service like exitlag to get playable conditions. Another issue players have is the fact that you have to provide a phone number to authenticate your account, this is done to prevent multi-account which is against server rules. Similarly, there is also a standalone exe file that runs when you log onto the server which also is part of the mitigation of multi-accounting, It can be closed after logging in, its not a virus, its not going to swipe your personal info... all it does is prevent multiclient.

For the players able to afford a vpn or fortunate to live elsewhere in the world, Ragnarok Travels is by far the best 1x classic RO server running right now in terms of original/authentic 2004 iRO-like mechanics. It is by no means 100% accurate, but it is better than most and trust me.. i have played way more RO than i would like to admit to, on more servers than i can remember.

In my opinion, the biggest plus this server has is its lack of multi-client. Have you ever wanted to play a priest main on a server but you find it impossible to find parties because everyone is walking around with their own priest auto-following? Not on Travels. What about a sage or a bard/dancer or even a linker when they get implemented?... any support class HAS MEANING and is needed on Ragnarok Travels.

Now the rates, 1x... why play 1x? RO was originally developed by Gravity at you guessed it.... 1x. duh. So all zeny-sink mechanics that keep the economy in check were also designed around 1x incomes. The problem of zeny Inflation that plagues most servers is not a issue on a 1x, especially if bots are prevented or hunted+banned, like on ROTravels. 1x also provides a type of satisfaction that higher rates simply cannot. When you accomplish something, anything.. it takes time and effort and the more time and effort you invest... the higher your rewards.

The server was started by ONE PERSON, which is huge undertaking. His name is "Lord J" on discord. Some think he's arrogant for having the name "Lord" but grow up, its just a name ffs... your gamertag is probably as equally stupid.. mine is. A lot of reviews of the server are direct attacks at him for having to take a hard stance and enforce rules that keep the community together and keep cheaters and general s***-disturbers away. So hate him or love him that is for you to decide. As of recently though the number of staff has grown and is now 2 GMs and a community manager and things are running smoothly.

I'm going on 2 months here on Ragnarok Travels, its the best RO experience I've had since i left iRO-Loki pre-renewal and i plan to be here till the end.
Wanna join me? Come give it a try... what do you have to lose?  /no1

https://ratemyserver.net/index.php?page=detailedlistserver&serid=21300&itv=6&url_sname=Ragnarok%20Travels

Bue

You sound like a cultist going on a rant rather than giving a review of the server.

Shagaru

A good way i filter out suspect reviews is checking the join date on the rms accounts and checking their review history. U can usually tell if someone has a agenda making these posts or genuinely wants to share his opinion. /heh

neethree

Quote from: LavosRT on Feb 04, 2021, 09:08 PM
This being said, i feel the community of players that still seek 1x gameplay in 2021 are at war right now, its ROTravels vs retRO and its quite childish tbh. Both servers have their own way of trying to be authentic and that's fine. What's not fine are the negative reviews that both servers receive from players that are looking to prevent someone from playing the rival server or toxic players that got banned for breaking rules and go out kicking and screaming throwing internet-tantrums. You have to take  RMS reviews with a HUGE grain of salt because more times than not someone who leaves a negative review is someone who is pissed off and not looking to "review" the server, but to drive it into the ground.
Are you referring to the negative reviews made for Travels months apart by people with established accounts and reviews on other servers? Or the ones for RetRO made daily by newly-made throwaway accounts that all got deleted by RMS admins? If there's a "war" only one side is participating. Childish indeed :P
Current Server(s):
None ;-;

LavosRT

Quote from: Bue on Feb 05, 2021, 03:47 AM
You sound like a cultist going on a rant rather than giving a review of the server.

If being passionate about something i enjoy and wanting others to enjoy it too makes me a cultist, then sure call me what you want.

To anyone else looking for a fight... rather than s***posting here, why not go play whatever server floats your boat and instead of writing garbage here, take the time to write a review of YOUR favorite server. If you have contructive critisim of my review feel free to share.

LavosRT

Quote from: Tenuguu on Feb 05, 2021, 07:17 AM
Are you referring to the negative reviews made for Travels months apart by people with established accounts and reviews on other servers? Or the ones for RetRO made daily by newly-made throwaway accounts that all got deleted by RMS admins? If there's a "war" only one side is participating. Childish indeed :P

Taking what i said out of context and weaving it into something that fuels your own narcissistic desires is your decision, but all it does is enforce what i said about having to take rms reviews with a grain of salt. I said all negative reviews must be scrutinized for their intent regardless of what server they may be for. Please do not try to put words in my mouth, i do not appreciate it, thanks.

edit: fixed typo

skyeang3l

Ragnarok Travels is also the most fun I've had on a RO server in years, though I'm not as great as writing reviews as you so I'll just attach myself onto this thread. There were some growing pains associated with it(some server outage) but after getting some server upgrades, it's been 100% uptime. Next to the community, I really enjoy most the accurate mechanics, being able to weave auto and animation cancel is very nostalgic for me- mob AI also functions on the same level as an official which adds a layer of difficulty that emulators don't quite have.

But this is all subjective I guess. Many players are content with emulators so other servers might be ideal for them. See ya in-game, Lavos.   /ok

Yare yare daze~

Daletos

Jesus christ, my life must be in shambles if I'm back on this website.

Anyway, I came back to RO for a hot minute and wanted to pretend it was 2003 and tried out both Travels/Ret. I barely made it out of the novice grounds and just gave up. It's not that the servers are bad or anything, it's just the fact that it's 2021. 1x isn't sexy, it's painfully slow and with like 20 people online it simply isn't worth the investment or effort. Maybe if it was a fresh server with like 2k people online or something it would be, but again it's 2021. With this low of a player count and the whole region divide thing it really only appeals to hardcore/die hard fans, and clearly there isn't that many of you left.

I'm not much of a purist so it wasn't for me. If you could combine both servers with dedicated VPN support, maybe run 2-3x (on exp only since the 1x drops explanation isn't bad, but I know this would bother the 1x crowd), got a decent player count through this then maybe it would be worth it. But as it stands now I doubt either server will go anywhere worthwhile, and I'm certainly not committing to that (I already have commitment issues :D). 

Overall I don't think it's a bad idea, but again the RO player base is always so fragmented and all over the place. I like the idea of no dual clients etc., but you need the player base to do it. Personally, I'd rather have some compromises and potentially a solid and growing community. Just don't see it here because as always not enough people and too many servers across the board.

Cheers to the people that like this and no hate, but for most it's meh  /wah

Quote from: Bue on Feb 05, 2021, 03:47 AM

It wasn't that bad a of a review, give him a break. And dam you're still here Bue? Surprised to see some people still here, been like 7 years for me after I left/quit in 2013 after the final straw of all the drama and slow painful death of this game. Fun to stop by and go through all this s*** meh.

distilled1

Great, and well written review, Lavos!
Nevermind the negative nancies. Probably jealous of Ragnarok Travel's continuing growth and positivity. A "cult?".. yeah everyone who likes something is in a cult for that particular thing, right?
Especially pay no mind to Tenuguu who clearly has a history of grudge held against Ragnarok Travels and its owner Lord J, as seen in other threads because he/she didn't get their way after asking for changes.
I'm glad Travels is not full of rotten personalities like Tenuguu. From the start, I could tell by the way he/she spoke to people on travels' discord that they were a very negative person.

Travels has a great community of genuinely positive and helpful people. I don't have much time to play, but I'm extremely proud of it as a server and as a community.
Also it has been continually growing in population. Especially lately. There are now well over 600 total members in Travels' discord.
I just signed in to the game now, on a friday morning, and there are 54 people online. On a weekend it's probably closer to 60-80 players now(all unique people, since single-client is strictly enforced).
Not massively populated... yet anyway, but definitely not simply "20" players as Daletos claimed. I've never seen it that low except for when the server first began back in 2020, or shortly after a maintenance.

Lots of love, and don't forget to type /skip to turn off frame skipping  /no1

EDIT:
Also I just want to say that I don't think retRO vs. Travels is even a thing. If it is, it shouldn't be because they're not even competing for players. One is based in Europe, and one is in North America. That alone is going to attract different groups of players.
They're both good servers with no multi-clienting, and no pay to win. Huge respect to both!
DOWN WITH MULTI-CLIENTING!

Bue

Quote from: LavosRT on Feb 05, 2021, 09:02 AM
If being passionate about something i enjoy and wanting others to enjoy it too makes me a cultist, then sure call me what you want i wont even call you a stupid poopoo peepee head like your probably expecting me too.

To anyone else looking for a fight... rather than s***posting here, why not go play whatever server floats your boat and instead of writing garbage here, take the time to write a review of YOUR favorite server. If you have contructive critisim of my review feel free to share.

By cultist, I mean it sounds like you are brainwash into believing that your getting the authenticâ„¢ ragnarok online experience. Travel is just another server running Aegis like Koko RO. It is incredibly naive to make a claim that your server is the most authentic, original, or accurate since that is just marketing lingo for Aegis servers.

The reason why multi-clienting is not allowed is because Lord J knows that this puts him at a disadvantage since he prefers to play on a single client in full screen. If he doesn't want to multi-client, then you shouldn't too. That is whatever, but the fact that he goes through all the trouble to police this policy is rather scary. You gave him your phone number, email, and have to run his custom anti-cheat software. That is a lot of trust and not worth the risk.

It would be a better idea to give people a firsthand account of what the user experience is like on the server since I think less of the server now after reading your review.

Neffletics

Only time can tell, guys.  /ok
solacero rip

distilled1

Quote from: Bue on Feb 07, 2021, 11:51 AM
By cultist, I mean it sounds like you are brainwash into believing that your getting the authenticâ„¢ ragnarok online experience. Travel is just another server running Aegis like Koko RO. It is incredibly naive to make a claim that your server is the most authentic, original, or accurate since that is just marketing lingo for Aegis servers.

The reason why multi-clienting is not allowed is because Lord J knows that this puts him at a disadvantage since he prefers to play on a single client in full screen. If he doesn't want to multi-client, then you shouldn't too. That is whatever, but the fact that he goes through all the trouble to police this policy is rather scary. You gave him your phone number, email, and have to run his custom anti-cheat software. That is a lot of trust and not worth the risk.

It would be a better idea to give people a firsthand account of what the user experience is like on the server since I think less of the server now after reading your review.
Wow. Conspiracy theories and paranoia.
The custom anti-cheat software I can kind of see as requiring trust to run, but only until it passes an anti-virus scanner. Plus there are hundreds of people using it already.

The other stuff though? What the hell?
Lord J doesn't keep the phone numbers on record by the way. Just like user passwords, they are converted into encrypted hashes, but even if he DID keep my phone number, what the hell do I care?
Oh no he might phone me or email me. How awful! My life is RUINED.

Multi-clienting is disabled because that is how a large amount of the population wants to play their MMOs. Just look at any private WoW server out there. They mostly disable multi-clienting.
SolaceRO? Disabled multi-clienting.
retRO? Disabled multi-clienting.

It's not for some tricky advantage only Lord J benefits from. You're paranoid, bro.
DOWN WITH MULTI-CLIENTING!

Bue

I have read from another post that the anti-cheat software requires admin privileges to run. That itself requires a lot of trust, especially since private servers have no accountability. You are being disingenuous if don't think this poses a computer security risk.

Hashing a password only protects the user when the server gets hack. It does not protect you from your private server warlord. And if someone is not careful with their personal information, then they can get dox. Again, you are being disingenuous.

And it is very clear that the ban has more do with preventing players from gaining an advantage by multi-clienting. This has nothing to with how people wants to play the game since you aren't given the choice in this case. And the policing of this policy and possible risks is not worth it.

skyeang3l

Like distilled said though, this multi-clienting restriction is not a Ragnarok Travels exclusive. And obviously it is how many players want to play the game...given that many servers now offer this same feature. Support classes are very valuable on servers that lack multi-client. If you want to be a priest main, you can, instead of being replaced by a slave alt-tabbed priest.
Yare yare daze~

LavosRT

Quote from: Bue on Feb 07, 2021, 02:43 PM
I have read from another post that the anti-cheat software requires admin privileges to run. That itself requires a lot of trust, especially since private servers have no accountability. You are being disingenuous if don't think this poses a computer security risk.

Hashing a password only protects the user when the server gets hack. It does not protect you from your private server warlord. And if someone is not careful with their personal information, then they can get dox. Again, you are being disingenuous.

And it is very clear that the ban has more do with preventing players from gaining an advantage by multi-clienting. This has nothing to with how people wants to play the game since you aren't given the choice in this case. And the policing of this policy and possible risks is not worth it.

The PATCHER requires admin to PATCH because it needs directory write access to PATCH YOUR GAME. The anti-cheat does not require admin in any way. You can play the server just fine after removing the admin privilege of the patch client once its finished updating, so what you read was wrong.

Playing ANY RO server potentially exposes any data you give out, this server is not special just because you say so. If you don't follow safe password practices online and instead reuse passwords its your fault if you get hacked, not some RO server you gave your info to.

In 2004 the computers used to play this game were potatoes that could barely run one client let alone multiple, on top of that each account required a subscription to play which also limits the amount of people able to do so. IMO limiting multi client does make it more authentic... but that is my opinion which you don't have to agree with. And yes you are given the choice to multi-client or not... its called find another server if you don't like it.