Ragnagoats - 1/1/1 (An in-depth review)

Started by Aeroskye, Jul 22, 2023, 09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Playtester

Someone should make a Wiki on all changes between classic and pre-renewal so server owners would even know what to change for an authentic experience.

Even I only remember like 10% of the differences anymore.

2k2

Quote from: Playtester on Jul 31, 2023, 01:38 PMSomeone should make a Wiki on all changes between classic and pre-renewal so server owners would even know what to change for an authentic experience.

Even I only remember like 10% of the differences anymore.

Kokotewa likely is the only person that might have all this information and a way to confirm it. Maybe KokoRO wiki is still up and was updated with all the old official behavior/balance? Would be nice if they showed up here to talk about long-forgotten mechanics.
Find me here:

Playtester

Quote from: 2k2 on Jul 31, 2023, 08:20 PMKokotewa likely is the only person that might have all this information and a way to confirm it. Maybe KokoRO wiki is still up and was updated with all the old official behavior/balance? Would be nice if they showed up here to talk about long-forgotten mechanics.
Kokotewa only goes back to episode 11.3. I'm not sure if Koko ever cared about pre-trans.

misterj

Quote from: Playtester on Aug 01, 2023, 09:53 AMKokotewa only goes back to episode 11.3. I'm not sure if Koko ever cared about pre-trans.
it's in the works

Aeroskye

Bump: Server got a new patch. Niffleheim is now accessible.

Also adding next patch details on main post.

Lenii

What a good sumarized and well done post Aero! One quick adition to the server, is that I know 1x can be hard, specially without multi, but the amount of good people I met in this server that helped me, made this journey unique and arguably the server that I most enjoyed playing even with less than 1 year playing.

My guild is a totally casual, 4fun and PvM guild, mostly made up of friends that started playing RO on this server (just me who played RO for many years) and believe it or not they reached 9x (4~5 months playing), one of them already got 99 before me!  /hmm

However, the key point is that not everything is about leveling up as fast as possible. We helped strangers along the way, looked for items together and even laughed, even though we ended up dying for several easy mvps and missing several basic mechanics.

Hope to see you in Prontera!

yennar

actually, this is a nice server. it's refreshing to see a good admin team which has a clear vision

notFeldu

The review is spot on. Despite of my busy schedule I keep coming back to play this server every few days. People are wonderful and helpful and the staff is probably the best I have come across in my years of playing RO.

Recommended for sure if you love playing low rates.

Herpderp

1x card rates?  /hmm So effectively 0.5x since cards on official servers are 0.02 due to the drop rate bug?

Aeroskye

Yeh I believe cards come around 0.019 so closer to 0.02 the way it gets calc'd.

Some squishy mob cards are higher though since anti-inflation patch was not activated.

misterj

Quote from: Aeroskye on Aug 05, 2023, 11:40 AMYeh I believe cards come around 0.019 so closer to 0.02 the way it gets calc'd.
it's an off by 1 error in aegis. the way they store drop percentage is with an integer from 1 to 10k in the DB, 1 meaning (ostensibly) .01% drop rate. the random number generator returns [0, 10000). they compare the result with <= (instead of <). 0 AND 1 are <= to 1, so every drop has a .01% chance more than they intended

Aeroskye

Quote from: misterj on Aug 06, 2023, 02:55 PMit's an off by 1 error in aegis. the way they store drop percentage is with an integer from 1 to 10k in the DB, 1 meaning (ostensibly) .01% drop rate. the random number generator returns [0, 10000). they compare the result with <= (instead of <). 0 AND 1 are <= to 1, so every drop has a .01% chance more than they intended

Thank you for this. So, the "=" ends up giving a "successful" result at 2 outputs (i.e 0 & 1) out of 10,000 possibilities (i.e 0  to 9,999).

Playtester

It's actually out of 10001 possibilities, so 2/10001 drop rate to be exact.

Well, actually that's still not fully exact, because the way the random function works also has an influence, but that impact is only minimal.

misterj

Quote from: Playtester on Aug 07, 2023, 11:28 AMIt's actually out of 10001 possibilities, so 2/10001 drop rate to be exact.
how so? n mod 10000 is only gonna return 10000 possible values

Playtester

Quote from: misterj on Aug 07, 2023, 10:18 PMhow so? n mod 10000 is only gonna return 10000 possible values
If Aegis used rand()%10000 that would be true, but as far as I remember they used their own rand function which has min and max as parameter so it would return a number between 0 and 10000, and there are 10001 numbers between 0 and 10000.

A long time ago Ultramage tried to explain to me how it really worked and did some complex calculations and then came to a really strange number like 1.75%, I never fully understood that.

(I think it was something like they generate a number from 0 to 32767 and then mod it with 10000, so you actually have 4 chances to get a number from 0 to 2767 and 3 chances to get a number from 2768 to 9999.)

From the code I've seen it just looked like "x+1/10001" drop rate to me though.

I guess we could just test if an item with a drop rate of 99.99% has a chance of not dropping, but sounds painful to test.