Prime RO, the best non trans server I've played.

Started by Templo, Oct 11, 2010, 11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Templo

I'd like to start off by saying one thing: I love Prime RO. In the short amount of time that I have played (seeing that it has only been open a little while), I have enjoyed this server more than any server I've ever played on. However, as with any server out there, there are some good points, and some bad points. The good news is, however, that the good points far, far outweigh the bad points. But, to be fair to you all, and to the server, I will present both sides. So, without further adeu, here is my review of Prime RO...

The concept of this server seems to be the following: non trans gameplay, but with mods. Basically, there are no trans classes, no extended classes, no super novices, and no third classes, there are only 1-1, 2-1 and 2-2 classes, like Thief, Swordsman, Knight, Assassin, Wizard, and so on. This might sound like it's boring, but it's not, I assure you. Things are so much more balanced and intuitive. It actually feels like Ragnarok.

So yeah, on the one hand, you have a really traditional server here. Not only do you have no trans classes, but outside of a basic warper who can warp you to general areas, there's a lot of walking. To get to specific maps, you have to walk, and I don't mind it. There are so many maps out there, and people use like, 1/10 of them, it's shameful.

There are also no customs items. No custom hats, no dumb wings, no custom pets or weapons, nothing. Really, there's only what you can find in the real game, and I'm fine with that.

On the flip side though, the server is also relatively modern and unique. Instead of using a main town like a lot of servers do, Prime RO uses this place called the "Lobby". Kind of a strange name, but it works. Basically, this "Lobby" IS the main town. You have your healer, your resetter, your warper, all that.

I have to say, one of my favorite things about this server is that the custom areas and whatnot are just really well made. Instead of overloading you with dumb events or battlegrounds or something, there's a park, a custom training ground, a gigantic mall, and a lot of other places. They add in customs very tastefully, there's nothing gauddy, tacky, and annoying here- just good stuff.

So, you get the basic idea. What you've got here is basically a non trans server with some newer areas and items of recent SVN's, and a lot of self-made stuff that they've implemented, it works well.

Now I'm going to break down the server itself...

Stability: 9/10

When I am playing, the server is almost completely stable. There are times that I will get the smallest amount of lag in certain areas, if there's a lot going on, but overall, this server runs extremely smoothely. No real issues.

Availability: 10/10

In the 3 days or so that I have played, the server has not once gone offline. It has been up, ready, and working well. Couldn't ask for better availability than this.

Friendliness: 8/10

The GM's are extremely friendly. From the moment that I joined, GM Juice Box welcomed me into the server, and introduced me to his other GM's and players. Everyone was supportive and fun. Some of the players even offered to tank me and give me some starting weapons. However, the only reason that I put the friendliness lower than 10 is because there was one guy who was being kind of a jerk to me about 4 hours into playing- GM Leupold took care of that quickly though, so it wasn't a problem.

Helpfulness: 10/10

Although I've only had two problems so far (I got an error message on one map, and there was that player who was being a jerk to me), I can see that the GM's here are very helpful and inciteful. They resolved my problems immediately, and they even gave me advice on where to level, what class to become, and where to find the best items I needed. Extremely, extremely helpful GM's.

Eventfulness: 10/10

This server hosts a lot of events. I haven't obviously been on the whole time but in the time that I have played over the last few days, we've had about 3 events per day from what I can tell, maybe more when I wasn't on. The prizes are usually things like zeny, hats, etc. They're useful, fun, and the events are some of the most creative that I've seen.

Economy: 6/10

This is one of the sticking points of the server. The server overall caters to the player. The mall has a lot of useful items, there's a healbuffer, and players are always going out and helping each other to find items and level up. While this sounds like a good thing normally, it doesn't make for a good economy. Almost nobody is selling anything via merchants, nor trading. However, seeing that this is a 150/150/150 server, I suppose I can understand why, and thus the reason it gets 6/10 instead of 0.

Guild Competition: 7/10

This part is a little iffy too. The reason I give it a slightly higher than average mark, at all however, is because there are are about 4 different guilds which frequently PVP and, once, WoE with each other. So in a way, that is good guild competition because you have thick blood running through these guilds- they're friendly, but very competitive. No gigantic guild wars yet, but it's a new server, and with the people here, it's pretty good overall.

Class Balance: 10/10

A perfect 10 for me. Since there are no OP trans or third classes, you've got classic ragnorok here. All the classes seem equal. I haven't noticed a disproportion in classes either. I've seen monks, hunters, knights, assassins, priests...Everything in equal numbers. Really, just perfect class balance.

Conclusion: 9/10

Prime RO is a fantastic server. It has its problem, among them a bad economy and needy of slightly more guild competition, but overall- this is the definition of a fantastic server. You always hear those people saying "This is the best server ever! Great community! Come join!". This is the only server I've experienced that actually lives up to claims like that. If you're looking for a server with unique, traditional gameplay, a community that welcomes you with open arms, GM's who support you, and is very stable and enjoyable, Prime RO is it. Hope to see you there.

violet

Quote from: Templo on Oct 11, 2010, 11:42 PM
I'd like to start off by saying one thing: I love Prime RO. In the short amount of time that I have played (seeing that it has only been open a little while), I have enjoyed this server more than any server I've ever played on. However, as with any server out there, there are some good points, and some bad points. The good news is, however, that the good points far, far outweigh the bad points. But, to be fair to you all, and to the server, I will present both sides. So, without further adeu, here is my review of Prime RO...

The concept of this server seems to be the following: non trans gameplay, but with mods. Basically, there are no trans classes, no extended classes, no super novices, and no third classes, there are only 1-1, 2-1 and 2-2 classes, like Thief, Swordsman, Knight, Assassin, Wizard, and so on. This might sound like it's boring, but it's not, I assure you. Things are so much more balanced and intuitive. It actually feels like Ragnarok.

So yeah, on the one hand, you have a really traditional server here. Not only do you have no trans classes, but outside of a basic warper who can warp you to general areas, there's a lot of walking. To get to specific maps, you have to walk, and I don't mind it. There are so many maps out there, and people use like, 1/10 of them, it's shameful.

There are also no customs items. No custom hats, no dumb wings, no custom pets or weapons, nothing. Really, there's only what you can find in the real game, and I'm fine with that.

On the flip side though, the server is also relatively modern and unique. Instead of using a main town like a lot of servers do, Prime RO uses this place called the "Lobby". Kind of a strange name, but it works. Basically, this "Lobby" IS the main town. You have your healer, your resetter, your warper, all that.

I have to say, one of my favorite things about this server is that the custom areas and whatnot are just really well made. Instead of overloading you with dumb events or battlegrounds or something, there's a park, a custom training ground, a gigantic mall, and a lot of other places. They add in customs very tastefully, there's nothing gauddy, tacky, and annoying here- just good stuff.

So, you get the basic idea. What you've got here is basically a non trans server with some newer areas and items of recent SVN's, and a lot of self-made stuff that they've implemented, it works well.

Now I'm going to break down the server itself...

Stability: 9/10

When I am playing, the server is almost completely stable. There are times that I will get the smallest amount of lag in certain areas, if there's a lot going on, but overall, this server runs extremely smoothely. No real issues.

Availability: 10/10

In the 3 days or so that I have played, the server has not once gone offline. It has been up, ready, and working well. Couldn't ask for better availability than this.

Friendliness: 8/10

The GM's are extremely friendly. From the moment that I joined, GM Juice Box welcomed me into the server, and introduced me to his other GM's and players. Everyone was supportive and fun. Some of the players even offered to tank me and give me some starting weapons. However, the only reason that I put the friendliness lower than 10 is because there was one guy who was being kind of a jerk to me about 4 hours into playing- GM Leupold took care of that quickly though, so it wasn't a problem.

Helpfulness: 10/10

Although I've only had two problems so far (I got an error message on one map, and there was that player who was being a jerk to me), I can see that the GM's here are very helpful and inciteful. They resolved my problems immediately, and they even gave me advice on where to level, what class to become, and where to find the best items I needed. Extremely, extremely helpful GM's.

Eventfulness: 10/10

This server hosts a lot of events. I haven't obviously been on the whole time but in the time that I have played over the last few days, we've had about 3 events per day from what I can tell, maybe more when I wasn't on. The prizes are usually things like zeny, hats, etc. They're useful, fun, and the events are some of the most creative that I've seen.

Economy: 6/10

This is one of the sticking points of the server. The server overall caters to the player. The mall has a lot of useful items, there's a healbuffer, and players are always going out and helping each other to find items and level up. While this sounds like a good thing normally, it doesn't make for a good economy. Almost nobody is selling anything via merchants, nor trading. However, seeing that this is a 150/150/150 server, I suppose I can understand why, and thus the reason it gets 6/10 instead of 0.

Guild Competition: 7/10

This part is a little iffy too. The reason I give it a slightly higher than average mark, at all however, is because there are are about 4 different guilds which frequently PVP and, once, WoE with each other. So in a way, that is good guild competition because you have thick blood running through these guilds- they're friendly, but very competitive. No gigantic guild wars yet, but it's a new server, and with the people here, it's pretty good overall.

Class Balance: 10/10

A perfect 10 for me. Since there are no OP trans or third classes, you've got classic ragnorok here. All the classes seem equal. I haven't noticed a disproportion in classes either. I've seen monks, hunters, knights, assassins, priests...Everything in equal numbers. Really, just perfect class balance.

Conclusion: 9/10

Prime RO is a fantastic server. It has its problem, among them a bad economy and needy of slightly more guild competition, but overall- this is the definition of a fantastic server. You always hear those people saying "This is the best server ever! Great community! Come join!". This is the only server I've experienced that actually lives up to claims like that. If you're looking for a server with unique, traditional gameplay, a community that welcomes you with open arms, GM's who support you, and is very stable and enjoyable, Prime RO is it. Hope to see you there.

ohh well way too different in my TRUTH REVIEW! the one that been requested to me to junk!
Guild Competition: 7/10 when the first woe starts? tomorrow right?

Friendliness: 8/10 <--- lol who will someone said i have a F****** d***? that make me angry but i just stay calm who cares he never saw me.

Ghetto Gospel

Could you possibly link me to the website or anything to do with this server. I am a long time ragnarok player but I have not played in quite some time but I am interested in the concept of good ole' ragnarok back haha. I remember the times before trans classes and what not and those were the days of like you said "real ragnarok." Thanks in advance if you get back to me!

Sarin

I don't see really how can a server that sells 1M zeny for 1 USD and MvP cards for 5 USD (mvp card drop is 0.1% there) get good economy and high class balance scores.

violet

do you think it is balanced? for me it is not

Ret-ro

Server is already down, that's the problem with half-baked pre-trans servers.

violet