RMS Home | Guide Writing | Test Server | New Servers | Latest Reviews

Author Topic: OriginsRO - Another Review  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Jinbou

OriginsRO - Another Review
« on: Jun 25, 2020, 06:44 pm »
Hey there. I've been playing OriginsRO since early 2018, although there have been many 5-6 months-long breaks so my total play time is not very high. I was extremely happy with the server when I first started it, but I did have an increasing number of problems lately that bothered me more and more, so for the first time I'm writing a not-positive review for it - which ended up too long so I decided to make it even longer and post here. This will contain all of my impressions with the server over a very long time, and it'll be very long, so feel free to skip some sections and check out only what you're curious about.

tl;dr
  • + No Cashshop/Donations
  • + No bots
  • + Good economy, most gears are cheap, making it easy for beginners
  • + Good QoL updates, the control panel and master account system are very nice
  • + The nostalgic classic RO experience
  • - Dead pvp, no battlegrounds, mediocre woe
  • - People either play solo with multi-clients or make boring 12-people standing parties, it's very hard to find a normal party
  • - There is no end-game objectives, you run out of stuff to do pretty fast
  • - Mediocre class balance, not bad, not great. It won't ever be improved as there are no class balance updates
  • - Some awkward movement mechanics

About the Server
(click to show/hide)

Leveling
(click to show/hide)

Economy
(click to show/hide)

Multi-clienting
(click to show/hide)

Parties
(click to show/hide)

PvP
(click to show/hide)

WoE
(click to show/hide)

Events
(click to show/hide)

Bots/Cheaters
(click to show/hide)

MVP
(click to show/hide)

Class Balance
(click to show/hide)

Custom, Awkward Movement Mechanics
(click to show/hide)

Special Mention: Homunculus System
(click to show/hide)

End-Game Content
(click to show/hide)

Final Thoughts
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2020, 11:41 am by Jinbou »

Advertisement

Offline distilled1

Re: OriginsRO - Another Review
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2020, 07:28 pm »
Multi-clienting
(click to show/hide)

HUGE negative for me personally, and the very reason I stopped playing Ragnarok Online, and World of Warcraft Classic, to play games that actually require both role-playing and social interaction in order to get anywhere.
I don't care how many lame-donkey, know-it-all, social rejects tell me "Well it's not against the rules so there's nothing wrong with multi-clienting".
I will argue, until the day I die, that there very much is an inherent problem with multi-clienting in any game that attempts to identify itself as a multiplayer, role-playing game.
It always has the effect of encouraging solo-play.

So while I still care about and respect Ragnarok Online for what it tried to be and what it still could be, and while I'll still post on the OriginsRO forums from time to time, and hope things will change for the MMORPG genre in the future, I'm no longer holding my breathe.
I'll play some Neverwinter Nights persistent worlds or something where you're forced to role-play and work with others.

That's my two-cents anyway.
Thanks for the honest review, Jinbou.

Offline Jinbou

Re: OriginsRO - Another Review
« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2020, 08:27 pm »
Yeah, I do it, but I dislike it too. Multi-clienting, together with the standing parties, seem to have killed the normal parties here sadly.

I wouldn't mind it if it could coexist with normal parties, but it'll probably be hard to catch that balance (not that the devs are trying)