ExcelRO: A great pick for the 1x classic experience

Started by kimabrtams, Dec 12, 2022, 10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimabrtams

Title: ExcelRO: Classic Low Rates with New Unique Concepts

POV: Player on ExcelRO since open access
Server Website: https://www.excelragnarokonline.com/
Discord link: https://discord.gg/8FAJxV88Ps
Server Launch: launched in mid March 2022, open access for a bit, its full release now.
Details, unique aspects, and explanation of this server followed by my opinion:

• 1x1x1x 99/50 Episode 6 (now) Server with episodic releases:
    Spoiler
    Ep releases is listed in a 2-year roadmap discord: https://discord.gg/j9PbtjgttN. Straightforward: This server is a complete episode 6 package, it was just ep 5, the only difference is that skill are operating at trans skills for better balance (ep 9). Overall I would say this is a very TRUE 1x server. Very classic feel and kind of hard lol. There aren't any BMs or bubblegum that just make this server actually 2x or anything. At the absolutely best of times, with a full party and taps as well as event active, a party shared player can reach no more than 2x of shared exp. Roadmap allows for episode enjoyment for up to two years. True to 1x. True to old times. couple of downfalls is that its ruthless, you are signing up for 1x, and that's what youre getting. The community does help a lot though  /o
    [close]
  • Global Proxy US (east) server with additional proxies set for the middle east and SEA, and pretty much anywhere you ask them to place it.
    Spoiler
    They are very good with adding for anyone who needs it. Someone complained of bad connection in SEA and they added it, someone complained of bad connection in Israel and it was added. Don't expect high lag here. I think they use AWS which is very clean.  /o
    [close]
  • Dual client enforcement and NO MULTICLIENT of any kind.
    Spoiler
    They have gms that are hunters for this. I personally like that if a player is found in the city you can expect it to be a real person. I like that you must work with each other to make parties and not just run around with a slave and play RO with only yourself. Some people have come and left because they couldn't get away with dual client. So for me, good. For some, bad!  /o /x
    [close]
  • War of Emperium:
    Spoiler
    They advertised this "ranked WoE" to encourage guilds of all sizes and skill level to play WoE and still maintain competition. I dont think it ended up following through due to our size (currently 150 or so active), but we have a very big influx as of late which encouraged me to post this. We ran season "zero" WoE, and the admins tested many varying things specifically for our community. Currently, its player capped. They have a council of WoE guild leaders they speak with and poll to get the best ideas. So far, there was much trial and error in the season zero, but it came out real good. Looking forward to the new guilds for season 1 which starts in January  /o
    [close]
  • PvP and KoE:
    Spoiler
    PvP is a normal for 1x, which is dead. Hope to see more out of it with our new influx of players. KoE ran "instanced" meaning real consumables DO NOT need to be wasted in these activities. It was working for a bit but then it died. They have removed it since then and are reworking it. KoE has a place in the server i think, but the excessive use of pots made it just a spam fest. but we will see where they go with it.  /x
    KoE: In case some people don't know (I didn't), KoE is King of Emperium, which is a 30 minute GvG event that is a free-for-all castle to take and defend. Rewards are handed out every 5 minutes someone holds the emperium, and extra rewards are given to the guild that holds the castle at the end of the event. Cool game, just needs to be reworked   /o
    [close]
  • Guild Housing:
    Spoiler
    One of the best features is the guild housing that they have. They take actual houses in Prontera and allow guilds to get together and buy it for zeny. They'll actually take that house, giving them a sandbox feeling of owning a part of the town. There are currently small features where you must hunt and give zeny to upgrade to more features like a GVG MVP arena with a 24 hour mvp spawn. They are releasing bigger houses and floorplans, DB room and other stuff later. Official post on the feature: https://www.excelragnarokonline.com/news/guild-hideout-amp-discord This is a feature that is an awesome concept that Gravity was even planning on releasing, fully realized. Nothing overpowering or ridiculous to still stay classic. Sounds fun, will update when it is fully released.  /o
    [close]
  • NO P2W Donation and VIP system:
    Spoiler
    Donations are iRO cosmetics only, they don't add any stats and don't give any advantages. They explore renewal headies and allow for fun player headgear options. The items are also account bound and untradeable so there is no RMT as well. VIP system is $1 USD a month and gives access to the VIP garden, and features like universal tool dealer, stylist, broadcast NPC, and 50% off warps to towns. Here's their info on it: https://www.excelragnarokonline.com/news/vip-status IMO the only "slight" p2w on this server would be 50% warp discount for VIP, but it is very slight, it was also unanimously voted to keep in, though we have a high hardcore player population. Still, it is mostly helpful for the absolute beginner in the 1x grind and tapers off in usefulness. Fine by me.  /o
    [close]
  • Headies!!
    Spoiler
    One of the best parts of the games are the iRO cosmetic headies. There are so many headgears available for players in so avenues! For example, participating in voting gives votecoins, playing PvP games gives PvP coin, hunting MvPs gives MvP coin. These coins can be collected and used at the Vending Machine in Prontera to get all types of headgears that are updated and cycled every month. There's also custom quests for headgears, donation headgears, and VIP hunt+donation ticket ($1 USD) headgears as well. To me, a great feature to allow people to have end game goals of hat collecting!  /o
    [close]
  • Community led server:
    Spoiler
    The admins have been very vocal about transparency and player involvement. In the discord there is a suggestions area where players can suggest for changes to the server. If the admins feel the feature lines up to their vision (basically classic but small custom concepts) they'll throw it up to a poll in discord where players can vote and voice their opinion on the matter. If the vote is 66% or higher, it'll pass and become implemented. Things we have voted on so far: Gutterlines, peco dye colors to be available, color changes in #chats, MVP spawn variability, BS and alche ranking, exp for events, rewards for weekly MvP hunters. Some of them pass, some don't, but you can really feel that they listen.  /o
    [close]
  • Events:
    Spoiler
    So far there have been two events which are entirely custom, but they are very mindful of the whole server and make sure to make them accessible to any level, player, and timezone. For example, there will be certain monster spawns that give 20% more experience than normal, and it ranges for monsters for level 1 players up to 99 players. The monsters will also drop items at low percentage to trade in for event-only cosmetic headies. They run for weeks to allow all players to access it as needed. To me, the universal approach to making sure everyone feels included is necessary, and I think the events are nothing that if someone misses it they'll be very upset, but it is a way to get everyone involved. Not bad.  /o
    [close]
  • Tons of small features:
    Spoiler
    Customizable #chat colors (#main, #trade, etc.), you can toggle your zoom, Extra 5% exp boost per member of a party on top of tap bonus, Announcement of card drops and rare drops, aura and beam upon drop of rare items which you can customize to your liking, Guild migration package, you can opt to use @nobling to get rid of all crazy cosmetics if you dont like it and its player specific, Lotto NPC for cosmetic headies, Race of the day (10% more exp for a certain monster race, revolves every day).
    To me, these are awesome small features that help! /o
    [close]

List of @commands: @kc (killcount - keeps track of how much RNGesus hates/loves you), @whodrops, @mi, @duel, @whereis, @whosells, @showexp, @redeemvpoints (to redeem when you vote for the server), /delay to toggle walk delay,

Long detailed review:
This server started off with admins Goku and Zee (also the developer). Things started rocky, goals were not met on time, and things took longer than expected to release. However, they have recently included a second dev Basti who has been setting a better standard. The server's classic features in 1x should be great for any player who is looking for a classic server. They do pretty good with advertisement, as they (Goku) are very open and will tell you everything they are actively investing in to help the server grow if you ask. The server floats in 150-200 players, which is great. There are a good amount of guilds created, and the time zones are spread well between EU, US, PH, and BR areas. Parties are pretty much always going on or being planned on, the discord is VERY active when it comes to recruitment, and the community is very nice. I would say that my out of 10 score would be 8/10. This has increased from a 5/10 since the beginning of launch because I saw a huge improvement in their staff activities and involvement and I would also say that if things go as they have been planning it (fulfilling their goals and timelines) I would move it to a 8.5/10 because it shows they are getting better in doing their job as well! I would say the economy is not ideal, though it is expected for the age of the server. The community really is nice, there is always a few toxics but the admin respond to this. Admin is always available in discord and will have a full fledged conversation with you if you want!  /heh I think the flow of the server is headed in very positive directions and I am looking forward to more! Even the small features have these unique touches that sets it apart. Like, I can make my #chats any color I want! Super small details that allow players to just enjoy it how they personally want whenever the option is available. Like, change your personal aura color for any drop you want? It's a great individual experience tbh. 1x is a commitment, that is for sure.

I'll keep this updated, I hope you consider this server for the future! I can't wait to see some of the server's feature fully realized, like the houses!!

Wosi2

Nice review.  /no1

Its a single client, not dual client. Maybe make that more clear. :)

wLink

One of the coolest things about the server is having 50-60 ping from Europe through Central proxy.

Raïner

Would love to play ExcelRO. But as i like rebirth content, and the developers being bias with future content of rebirth being implemented or not ( Voted by the community ), not worth investing time in until the confirmation of future content.

And the community is also, incredibly PC, which is always, a no-no in a mmorpg game. No fun left, only passive aggressive attitude and resentment toward others.

I find it funny how the admins try their best to keep their players safe from harm's way, its just like how priests try to nurture their followers then drops you with the F bomb, baptising your kids with a shlong in their mouth. So yeah, not my type. Best regards tho

Prussian

I can vouch for the server!  /lv

I've been playing for 6 or 7 months and this has definitely been the most fun I've had on an RO server by far, and most active community in any server I've seriously devoted time into too! It's almost impossible not to find a party these days. WoE Season 0 was pretty fun, and we can expect at least 2 new guilds to participate as early as next season! The relatively slow paced episodically release ensures that'll always be new content to look forward to in the next couple of years.  /ok

It's been nice seeing the server receive the growth that it has seen in the last month, and hope to see even more new faces coming aboard!  /no1

I've also recently reached my first 99 ever uwu

OldPoring

Yes, I also joined the server, the server and the site give the impression of professionalism and are promising. I like slow episode updates better than fast ones. Really working proxies with good connections from EU.
I'll give another chance (the last one? hehe) to the server X1 rates.
---
The only controversial decision is that some rare items, including useful cards, drop rating x3 and sometimes even x5.
After all, all server owners make allowances and there is practically no pure 1x1x1 server.

Prussian

Quote from: OldPoring on Dec 19, 2022, 08:20 AM
The only controversial decision is that some rare items, including useful cards, drop rating x3 and sometimes even x5.
After all, all server owners make allowances and there is practically no pure 1x1x1 server.
This is because there was a poll a couple of months back not to implement the anti-inflation patch that came with Episode 6 (the one that set all card drops to 0.01%) because of the low population at time, and it won with over 2/3 of the votes.  /ok

So at the moment card drop rates are set to the one's from Episode 5, but it's not really a big deal since 99% of the cards that have a drop rate over 0.01% are beginner cards and easy to get either way, and all future cards coming out after Episode 6 will be set to 0.01. But do keep in mind that this might be revisited later on and a vote held, especially after the population boom we've been receiving.
/no1

Khinaya

I don't think it's a bad server and would even recommend playing on it for the 1x features, but for those who are unaware, ExcelRO hosts many of the old OriginsRO's community members who are very known to be toxic and cliquey. And from what I saw when I went into the Discord server a few months back not much had changed in the regards to how they treat strangers or players they dislike. Maybe it changed since, but I honestly doubt it.

I hope ExcelRO does a better job managing the social environment in-game than oRO did by actually banning people when they are doing something very wrong and not slapping them on the wrist for being friendly with the GM's or conveniently changing the TOS to avoid banning said people.

Not trying to be ill-will. I just don't want to re-invest into a server where people become too comfortable in practicing horrible behavior and getting away with it. I am sure some others may share this feeling too. Have a nice day and Merry Holidays.

Pommers

Quote from: Khinaya on Dec 21, 2022, 02:11 AM
ExcelRO hosts many of the old OriginsRO's community members who are very known to be toxic and cliquey.

Played on oRO for almost 1.5 years and haven't encountered toxicity at all, not sure what you are talking about.

Khinaya

Played since launch. Seen a lot of things. Again, there may be a chance things have changed but again. Doubt it. Either way. Glad to hear your 1.5 years weren't painful or maybe you were liked enough not to get harassed consistently.

Hope for the best on this server.

Have a nice day.

duduu

/hmm

Smashley

Quote from: duduu on Jan 16, 2023, 01:49 PM
The server is over, the dev is taking the data and opening a new server.
The xenophobic Discord mod and the dev backstabber the server owner, don't play on their server

Ill informed information with baseless accusations.

The current dev is the only reason excel stuck around passed June in the first place. He did all the hard work and fixed countless bugs and inconsistentcies. The "admin" did nothing but add cash shop headgears. There is no backstabbing in wanting to be in control of your own work. I've never seen a xenophobic mod  in thier discord. He is allowing an opt in on the new server if you wish to preserve your time on excel. Instead of trash talking, just leave or don't opt in for transfer. The new server will be better than excel ever could have been.

Shuchou

Quote from: Smashley on Jan 17, 2023, 07:41 AM
Ill informed information with baseless accusations.

The current dev is the only reason excel stuck around passed June in the first place. He did all the hard work and fixed countless bugs and inconsistentcies. The "admin" did nothing but add cash shop headgears. There is no backstabbing in wanting to be in control of your own work. I've never seen a xenophobic mod  in thier discord. He is allowing an opt in on the new server if you wish to preserve your time on excel. Instead of trash talking, just leave or don't opt in for transfer. The new server will be better than excel ever could have been.

Then why didn't they just start their own server to begin with instead of join a server as a staff member to only break away to make you own after? Wanted to steal a playerbase maybe instead of start from 0 online like every other server?

Smashley

Quote from: Shuchou on Jan 17, 2023, 12:58 PM
Then why didn't they just start their own server to begin with instead of join a server as a staff member to only break away to make you own after? Wanted to steal a playerbase maybe instead of start from 0 online like every other server?

From what I could tell, Goku didn't want to run the server anymore if his team was doing their own project. He gave the server to the dev who wanted to let the people that have been playing for a long time keep their progress. This is a 1x, not a mid or high rate so a complete restart is not in the interest of the players if a better option is available. It is being transferred to Hercules as well which is also a vast improvement. So it seems you are unaware of the sequence of events here.

duduu

/gg