RagnaRock

Started by gohan, May 30, 2017, 12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gohan

Review RagnaRock

About the server: As far as I know, RagnaRock is active since early 2013~ but it had a break time at the end of 2016 (never had WIPE), since I started playing there in February I don't know much about it, what I know is that the server haven't been down since them, and after that "break" the admin launched the High Rate Server together with the low rate.

Why should you try RagnaRock?

The biggest reason that I play there is: They are an official based server (Basically no customs) with a lot of content that you would just find in kRO/jRO. They bring new stuff all the time (following what kRO or jRO launches), it's kind right to have the possibility to try new builds and new things all the time. There is just no limit for that. They don't have "fear" of bringing new items if it's official will be there.

So let's start the detailed review now.

Server Info: Jormungand (15/15/5) / Episode 16.1 (Banket Of Heroes) / Card MvP: 0.01%
More at: https://rockragnarok.com/jormungand/?module=pages&action=content&path=info

Server

Availability: █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █
Stability    : █ █ █ █ █ █ █ 

The server is always on, they had a problem with a DDOS attack recently that would bother at a particular time (2 a.m U.S East time) but the admin took care of that, and it's everything good now.

Translation:  █ █ █ █ █ █

Let me explain this. From the beginning, this was a Brazilian server hosted in Canada. And since the server is hosted there I was asking myself why isn't this all in English so the international community would come to play here? Well, this problem is already solved (or I would say 70% is) the admin made a huge launch for the new patch version 4.6, and with this new patch, he made an ENG version that works great. Not only that but he translated the whole website, and now the posts on fórum/news are being written in ENG as well. He is working on renewing the forum but the biggest step that was translating the game is already done.

Economy: █ █ █ 

One of the most downsides of the server is the bad economy, that is related to the number of players that play there nowadays. There is a market but the prices are random, so it's hard to define how much an item cost.

Inside the game

PvM Experience:  █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █
PvP Experience : █ █ █ █
Friendliness      : █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █

There is a lot of people inside the game that are willing to share awareness of renewal. I know that there is a lot of individuals that have no idea how to play renewal, or some of them even with experience don't know how to play on a server like this one because it's content is just found most of the times on kRO/jRO. So to avoid you spending time on items that would not benefit you, the players help you out with builds and things.

WoE: █ █

Same problem as the economy, we have around 30~50 players on the low rate server, and most of them are PvM based, so for me the only thing that is missing to have a great WoE is players.

BG:  █ █ █ █ 

Since the server has few players interested in WoE, the admin made battlegrounds 2v2 so you can farm your badges for quests or items even if you have only a few people doing it so.

ROPS     : █ █ █ █ █ █ █ 
REFINES: █ █ █ █ █ █ █

Okay, this is one important part of the game that some might seem as P2W and some not. We have a LOT of things in the ROPS store that you can't get in the game. That is just the way it's on official servers. The ADM just follow that, if one item is sold by ROPS on official it will probably be sold by ROPS inside RagnaRock, if the item is made by quest/drop ROPS WON'T sell it. What does that mean? Well, if you need some items the only way to get them are paying, or probably when the server get more players you can buy it from other players. I got a lot of ROPS by trading items inside the game for them. The server also sells in the ROPS store +7 and +9 refine ticket, that turns your item to +9 directly. But honestly, this is just a waste of money because the server offers an easy way to produce HD Elunium/Oridecon and even HD Carnium/Bradium by quests. And you can get safe refine in the same way you can on iRO (exchanging MVP drops for safe refine). That means everyone has easy access to items I would say up to +10. After that, it's harder to refine since the server follows the official rates for refine but twice a year you have a refine event like the official servers. Also, the currency is in R$(Brazilian reais) so $1 (U.S Dollar) = around R$ 3,00 (3.000 ROPS)

Events: █ █ █ █ █

The server have seasonal events; we had one for Carnival and one for Easter. The events are great, but the admin is now looking for more people to help him out with the events. There is also daily events like Mini Devil Square that drops a lot of golden coins/Card Removal/refine items after you defeat some MvP's that have their hp/difficulty increased by the number of players that are participating. (He just added MVP from Bio Nightmare - Bio 5) it's insane!

Class Balance: █ █ █ █ █ █ █

I feel like every class has it's potential to do whatever you want. You can farm even with minstrel and wanderer after the new accessories arrived. Again, the PVM experience is great!

Leveling: █ █ █ █ █ █ █ (Not too easy and not too hard)

You have VIP once you start in the game and with this VIP system you receive (+10 food buffs, +100% exp/100% drop boost, agi and bless) so the rates are basically 30/30/10 for VIP players. With that, it's pretty easy to level up doing eden quests and etc.

What the server need to improve:

Website: I feel like the website it's kind old~ so it needs some work on it.
Forum: With the use of discord lots of things are solved there, but the forum needs a new face.
Team: The admin have one partner but he does the job of support/designer/developer all by himself, I already talked to him about that and he's now hiring new people to help him out with all of that so he can focus on just the development part of the game.

I feel like since I started playing there the admin is willing to listen to players more than he was before. He made substantial changes in the recent months that gave a better opportunity to every player have easy access to items that was impossible before.

So for me this is the best server I have played on, I really like, the patch 4.6 is beautiful, there is a lot of stones to enchant costumes (official stones), that gives you effects or status.

My advice is, try it!

I hope you like the review. I did it in the most neutral way that I could.

Hilmanic

Only part that would make me stay away from this server is the fact that it's not pre-renewal  /sob

Duckshooter

Quote from: Hilmanic on May 30, 2017, 11:23 PM
Only part that would make me stay away from this server is the fact that it's not pre-renewal  /sob

Yes, this. I just cant enjoy renewal and it split the remaining community even more  /sob

gohan

Quote from: Duckshooter on May 31, 2017, 05:07 AM
Yes, this. I just cant enjoy renewal and it split the remaining community even more  /sob

I played in a few pre-renewal servers and to be honest all of them have a date to die. I feel like there is no "room" for expansion. Doesn't matter the server where you play, it's the same thing. The same build, the same items, the same way to level up. I understand that is hard to play something from '0', that's how I felt when I started playing ragnarock, but after 1 month I already knew a lot of things, enough to get strong and do things that I would never do it before.

Just my opinion...

Duckshooter

Sure but I tried renewal 2 or 3 times and I dont enjoy it at all. It doesnt feel like ragnarok to me and that's the point for me. Like many others I dont play for the sake of becoming the best or reaching a certain goal, it's for nostalgia. I'm playing RO on and off for about 14 years now or something like that, there are obviously no "new and exciting" things to do and I doubt that renewal has so much more room for expanding the experience. From what i've seen it's a more casual system with an EXP system I dont like and new classes that dont really suit me. 

EDIT: sorry kinda going offtopic here.  Thanks for trying but I dont see myself playing renewal again. Good review though

Bakorzero

Quote from: gohan on May 31, 2017, 09:27 AM
I played in a few pre-renewal servers and to be honest all of them have a date to die. I feel like there is no "room" for expansion. Doesn't matter the server where you play, it's the same thing. The same build, the same items, the same way to level up. I understand that is hard to play something from '0', that's how I felt when I started playing ragnarock, but after 1 month I already knew a lot of things, enough to get strong and do things that I would never do it before.

Just my opinion...

There are servers who adapt renewal things into pre-renewal with balancing tweaks tho  /gg
A flower of hope — a bond tying us together
Now grows within our hearts.
Forever unwilting, it gives us the power to go on living

With A Smile

ok im gonna try this server out

Hilmanic

Quote from: Duckshooter on Jun 01, 2017, 04:49 AM
Sure but I tried renewal 2 or 3 times and I dont enjoy it at all. It doesnt feel like ragnarok to me and that's the point for me. Like many others I dont play for the sake of becoming the best or reaching a certain goal, it's for nostalgia. I'm playing RO on and off for about 14 years now or something like that, there are obviously no "new and exciting" things to do and I doubt that renewal has so much more room for expanding the experience. From what i've seen it's a more casual system with an EXP system I dont like and new classes that dont really suit me. 

EDIT: sorry kinda going offtopic here.  Thanks for trying but I dont see myself playing renewal again. Good review though

Exactly! Playing renewal just feels...Off. I don't mind the grind for pre-renewal and the same content and never expanding aspect of it too, pre-renewal content and mechanics just suits me best.