You're wrong. //Alt Title: Question

Started by Namori, Jan 07, 2012, 03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Namori

... Not really (Probably) I just wanted your attention. Sorry if it annoyed you.

I wanted to know what people here actually look for in a private server, honestly.
As far as I've gathered, you all hate the third classes and GMs that ask for money too much.

So...what else? Please don't be super vague and say things like "I want balance!"
That helps no one. Ever.

What would encourage you personally to join a server? Newer content? Less custom content? Better PVP? Flaming potatoes?

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong area, I made a guess. Feel free to move it.

yC

After I read the first paragraph, I think "balance" and then you shoot that down in the second paragraph.  But yea balance mean different thing to different people.

Let's just say, who else on the server is never under your control and that plays a major role in who your server attracts.  Don't put too much pressure on yourself and just create something you will be comfortable to play on.  I think Poki had a topic like this before he opens Arvis so you might want to look check that out.

Kensei

Balanced server eh? I'd call it balanced as long as there's no changes on the skills, max level 99/70 trans 99 stats, and no custom / edited items. Rates, I don't see what should be defined as balanced here. As long as I find the rates interesting for a casual player like me, I'll go drop in.

Moving to other stuff, about 3rd classes, I don't hate it. I love it, but not for WoE (especially pre-renewal). They look cute though <3! About customs, let's say item, I would see first. If it's like ALLSTAT+5, Demihuman Reduct above 12%, I won't bother hopping since my thought about balanced item is peaking at Bapho Horns, I Love China, Alice Doll (it means, if the custom items' effect are MUCH better than those, I'd call it imbalanced). Features such as quests, depends. If it's for making gears, I'd look for those that provides not-really-grindy and mostly soloable (since I'm mostly coming alone), as well as the economy. For quests like role-playing, I'm kinda picky on it since "kill x mob y times" or "get x pieces of y items" is pretty much the same as normal PvMing.

Then last is community. I'm NOT interested in a server which community doesn't speak English in public, the people are not communicative and friendly (including staffs), or have a dead forum, in which the posting rate is like 1 post/day. And yep, PvP/BG/WoE community attracts me more than PvM-Leveling ones, in which I usually ends up on mid-high rate servers.

Dat it? >:

Namori

Very informative Kensei. Thank you for that.

And yC, I'm not actually especially interested in making anything at all. I'm much more interested in actually learning what other people are into, since it never seemed very clear to me. I would love a link to the other thread though if you have one, as it seems like it may answer my questions quite a bit faster.

My own personal preference has always been the less like real Ragnarok, the better. Particularly in the storyline factors, but then again I only play PvM so of course it would get old fast to have the regular things around. I also have no income to speak of, so I don't really enjoy heavy cash shop emphasis, but then again who does? I've noticed in the past though that very few people seem to favor the more unique areas, but I don't know if that is still true.

Triper

A server that have:

• People that care about the players.
  • People that don't give too many expectations to the players about stuff that will be implemented and then just say that will be implemented later.
  • People that have the same rate of caring about players satisfaction as the server profit without killing the balance of the server.
  • People that know how to listen to players and work from there to improve the server.
  • People that actually have knowledge about the server and RO and don't answer "I don't know" when you ask stuff about the game.
  • People that know how to give bans when something is abused and not just ignore because yes and thousands of reasons.
  • People that know how to fix stuff[specially src problems] and not wait for fix implementations from eathena/rathena/etc when someone warn a GM/Admin.
  • People that implement custom stuff on their own without bugs and not just use every single stuff that is around in the internet because is cool.
  • People that know the difference of being good and different and just not another one.
  • People that have money to run the server for enough time and show how cool and fun he can be until people start to like it and donate on their own to make it alive for ages[saying donate to make the server alive is one thing, making it a pay2win no].
  • People that know how to manage a server donations and not just add XYZ donation items that make donaters > non-donaters[we all know how the scene works in the majority - make profit high enough to pay the server and get a bit for yourself but making something pay2win is a no, not even with the usual scheme of players can buy the coins/items/donations from other players with zenny/items.

Something around that?

Kensei

Oh one more, I'm not fond of a server with carebear environment. Well I can say the way I express myself by posting are very strict and alot of times I can be sarcastic or make it sounds very racist or sexually harassing (although those were actually jokes, some do took seriously). I've been banned on some forums for this, warned by GMs and s*** although I tried to soften my words since most staffs like forum mod nowadays are intolerant against those and declare them as trolls instantly.

QuotePeople that know how to give bans when something is abused and not just ignore because yes and thousands of reasons.

This one is more to the staffs' maturity. If you make someone thats intolerant against trolls at all and ban ASAP, well I don't know if you say that doing their job or just mad and swing banhammer. I've been banned just because I exposed server features' weaknesses alot in which GM can't even fix the weaknesses, then they deleted my posts and banned me for saying the hard truth.

Namori

Thank you Tripper, although most of those are things you wouldn't be able to know until you tried out a server first, so it's kind of tricky to say you'd play a server like that.

Also, Kensei my definition of a carebear is someone who tries to help others as opposed to trying to be better than everyone. Not sure if it's the same for you, but honestly I'd rather have people help me then flame me for asking or blatantly ignore me if I ask about something. In any case, I would think that it would normally be unacceptable in most places to behave in a way that most would consider as racist or sexist. Even if your joking around it's still pretty offensive to the people you're talking about. I do understand that people are sometimes ignorant about who they should ban like when they ban people for pointing out flaws in the server that honestly they should be fixing instead; although that's also similarly difficult to check ahead of time as most of what Tripper said is. I suppose you could try and find out how many people they've already banned, if they left evidence of such a thing.

Triper

If that topics are met in the first days and keep going that way the word is spread and good vibes are sprayed from him.

The contents do not depend only from the players, depends also on how the Admin/Devs/GMs want the server to be.

A big majority wants something that lasts more then 6 months to have something that they can call a home.

Vets most of the time wants action - epic GvGs, WoE 2.0, something fresh made of MVP+GvG is cool too if well done[kinda like a PK part].
Casual player probably prefer the usual log and kill a mvp or two and chit chat here and there so maybe some custom dungeons for parties or some epic challenges that involve party and solo.
Some others just want epic pvp fights and after they make a char for that they will just live at PvP so you could make something PvP based with rewards.
PVM Kings will just want to have something to kill and fight as a challenge to make money and get ubber gears to have a hax char to show.

Some people bored of hunting/lving thx to many years of playing the game will want guild packs for the fast action, others will be against that.

Some will be opened to something custom as trans with pre-renewal mechanics and then 3rd class with renewal mechanics and pvp/woe just for that, others just want renewal at 100% while others are against 3rd at 100%.

It all depends a bit of what you want to implement too as you can see.

Kensei

Here goes the difference on opinion <3 I like.

Well carebear for me is like, you give a damn on every single thing, that includes bad words or a post that might sound offensive to a 5 y/o kid, then warns so often on it. I don't even know how the word "F*ck" is like, a bad word in this age. Seriously, RO ain't 5 y/o kids game or a place where people are easily offended with those. Got warned just because of those common things are just pretty dumb.

QuotePVM Kings will just want to have something to kill and fight as a challenge to make money and get ubber gears to have a hax char to show.
They think getting hax gear in a RO PRIVATE SERVER will make them a chick magnet or it could enlarge their e-peen ::)

As for vets, obviously they would want things like gpack. They are mostly not new to RO in which they're bored of doing the same thing all over again (leveling, gearing, and stuff), which is caused by server closed or does not satisfy them anymore.

crysiscore3

Well basically you have two choices. You can either make a server that's fairly customized or have an awesome marketing plan to bring new people into your bland unmodded RO server.

%99 of new servers are pretty much unmodded. Modding doesn't ensure popularity, but makes the odds of instant and total flame out lower.

And about balance. I'd love to see a horribly imbalanced server, provided that you frequently make swings in different directions. Screw with class modifiers, put hidden effects in cards, add coma chances to skills. Lots of stuff you can do with imbalance. The problem comes in when you have stagnant imbalance.

Give +400 atk and +180 VIT to Swordsman(not 2nd job+) class and leave the rest the same. Give Paladins SG. Gig card does +%25 stackable damage against only Gypsy. Make Blitz Beat Ghost property. You get the idea ;) And change effects like this constantly.
I would love to play on this hypothetical server :)
Thinking of making your own RO PServer?
Read this first.