Wipes?

Started by HuiJun, Jun 04, 2008, 11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuiJun

I think we've all experienced having a server closed on us, but I wanted to know what the majority of RMS thought of wipes, specifically donation servers which ask for donations to keep a server running. Of course it's completely understandable if a server has been corrupted beyond repair, but what do you think about it if it's because a server has lost player base? Is it okay for a server to wipe at a strategic time in order to try and regain some population? What about if a server has had 3 wipes in less than a year's time? How many wipes until you don't want to play that server anymore? Would you play on a server that has been wiped, and under what circumstances?

Quote from: Loki on Nov 11, 2008, 12:01 AM
You're one slick gal, JJJ.

Brainstorm

That always depends on rates, if it was around 5x-10x, just means you will have new characters, new builds, new equipments, a different gameplay probably.

On a 1-5x rates, change servers. No one running a low rate (sorry, i take anything higher than 5x as high rates) and is SERIOUS about it, would allow corruption inside his staff and later wipe the server.
He should just close his server instead and avoid the shame he bought to himself.

Rudolph Zyaber

Depends, if the server and all it's players as well as it's entire administration team feels it's going in a bad direction , then I think a wipe and a change of pace is justified.  Also if there are extenuating circumstances, such as duplication of items/mvp cards and account hacks, then it also justifies a wipe.

Personally, I do not have huge problems with wipes, I've experienced them before and have also longed for them on certain servers where I just didn't want to see slowly degrade.
Bleh

Pandora

I'm against wipes personally.

A server should always have backup and closely monitor what happens, you should never arrive at a point where the only "solution" is a wipe. If anything, the admin/gm should fix whatever is wrong, even if it takes long, rather than trashing all the player's work.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

lol han han i can see why ur making this topic @_@
so many low rates are planning wipes ~_~

honestly i hate how ppl think that a simple wipe will wash away all the past troubles.....
i hate hate hate em >.<

Aris

Wipes aren't always bad, especially if they are executed well.

superja

On a donation server, I would hope that players are given back their donation equipment post-wipe... I'd see no reason to sink more money into a server that basically stole it the first time.

QuoteWipes aren't always bad, especially if they are executed well.

How exactly can a wipe be executed well? I see no difference between a "good" wipe and a "bad" wipe. In the end, we've all got to start over...

Hanyuu

After a wipe, players who donated should get back either their donation or their money, then a small boost in rates for people to get back as much as they can as possible. Players who are more dedicated will get their things back in a matter of days while the ones who play off and on will only miss yet another small "event" just because they werent on.

People confuse fair with whatever gives someone else a higher advantage. There's no such thing as fair in any game, only because one more is more willing to work for their stuff while another prefers to complain. Wipes are hated by a lot of people, there's no doubt about that. Even where there are a lot of illegal items around, some people prefer not to have it. Instead of a full blown wipe, wouldnt a ban of those people and a small chain of those people be best? Or an item rollback. imo, item rollbacks are usually better than level roll backs. It just makes it easier to get something back.

If a GM wipes to attract more people, then s/he would probably lose some of his other players.

For me, I'll stay after one wipe. I'll play wiped servers. I will not continue to play if it has more than two wipes with me on it. It's be just the same as going to another server except with probably less people.
I cannot quench your thirst
Because even if you yearn for the truth, you refuse to believe in it.

I cannot quench your thirst
Because no such truth exists that you are in anticipation for.

But I still want to quench your thirst.
Because I am the one the that put you into the desert.

Aris

Quote from: superja on Jun 06, 2008, 11:57 PM
On a donation server, I would hope that players are given back their donation equipment post-wipe... I'd see no reason to sink more money into a server that basically stole it the first time.

QuoteWipes aren't always bad, especially if they are executed well.

How exactly can a wipe be executed well? I see no difference between a "good" wipe and a "bad" wipe. In the end, we've all got to start over...
Look at LRO V1 to V2. Server grew almost double in size.

Micieri

I thought a server would make at least a backup of important things like that, and old server I played made a once-a-week backup, and it was even announced like:

Last backup: 3 days 4 hours 12 mins 4 secs ago

in game and on the website.

Anyway I guess if they can't look after their server then it's best not to waste you're time until their sorted.

Helrouis

Quote from: Micieri on Jun 14, 2008, 11:30 AM
I thought a server would make at least a backup of important things like that, and old server I played made a once-a-week backup, and it was even announced like:

Last backup: 3 days 4 hours 12 mins 4 secs ago

in game and on the website.

Anyway I guess if they can't look after their server then it's best not to waste you're time until their sorted.
Aye, weekly backups are a standard. However some servers are even lazy to do backups. Or they make fake reasons to do wipeouts.

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

A good wipe isn't bad. Depending on the server size, once per year for example.

Of course most servers don't last that long lawl

Micieri

Well if the server has 50 players and has a wipe, that's not good, but if it has say 200+ and people are 'too good' then a wipe would just balance the server again.

Helrouis

A wipe is good if the owner does now what he/she's doing.

Rehael

It maybe is good in some cases and bad in others, but it's still a shame & a failure for the owner.
The Greatest Server is in preparation phase : http://valiantro.com
Setting the standard so high the other servers will look like noob stuff. ;)