Why Private Server over official iRO?

Started by iro_ori, Jun 27, 2014, 08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iro_ori

Why do you choose Private Servers over official iRO? I'm curious.

A few reasons I've heard:

1) Lag: I believe as long as your in America or Canada, using LowerPing and Leatrix(tcp fix) you won't lag. I assume there's a lot of people who tried out iRO but quit because of lag before finding out about those 2 programs though.

2) Rates: At this point, people have joined so many private servers over the years and remade their characters time and time again that I don't think rates is an excuse for a server that will last. Also, rates on officials aren't all that bad now. It's comparable to mid-rates imo.

3) Renewal: There's classic server now. But, aren't u guys sick of playing the same s*** for years? Is Renewal THAT bad? Have you even gave it a serious chance? It takes time getting use to just like anything else. Maybe this is a question for another topic though.

I'm somebody who has played private server, iRO, and renewal. I like them all. I just think each one lacks things that the others have.

Sideways George Clooney

Rates are better and iRO WoE is trash

yC

Suppose, back in the days it's to offer free Ragnarok to people that cannot afford the monthly fees that is around $10~15 USD.  This meaning is half lost when iRO turns to the free-to-play model.  Also many people paying way more for items in private server than they would spend on official server.  You can imagine that.

The other reasons you already named, the variety of features to choose from serve more options.  Rates is a major issue, some people don't have all the time to grind. When the game was pre-renewal no quest system for exp.

lilsword

Other than the rates and more features. Some private servers has Harmony/Internal Guard installed, im sure people are sick of dealing with bots everyday, they want to meet real people.

youarearetard

Quote from: Sideways George Clooney on Jun 27, 2014, 09:54 PM
Rates are better and iRO WoE is trash

It's because private servers are for Retard Losers like this George Clooney that can't compete in iRO woe, fair and square and they want an easy way out. These losers are in private servers for the following :

1) iRO WOE is Trash, yeah your private servers' WOE are as much of a joke as well; with all those UGLY custom gears, seriously it's not even Ragnarok anymore.
2) Instant cast that iRO doesn't offer, these people are sick of trying to get Phen card or bloodybutterfly card in official and wants instant cast(lazy asses i guess)
3) Retard 999,999++ damage that these NOOBs think is pro and brag about it.  ;D
4) Insane Drop rate for items, rares and cards, seriously with the high drop rate, I get bored of these s*** private servers in just under an hour. One one wants these precious cards anymore, LOL. when its private servers then first thing that comes to your mind is those Ugly custom gears that makes your eyes bleed.  /omg
5) The fact that These Retards gets to host private servers and then disappear with the cash, when the players are in trouble, due to incompetance of the private server owner  /heh  /ok
6) Instant Leveling from 0 ~ #$%^# without hardwork.......  /pif
7) To PK helpless little newbies that don't even know how to fight (and brag about a kill)

AND then the use of @commands........@warp @go and a lot others, lazy to walk LOL

The above 7 may not be true for low rates but for those high rates, super high rates and for PK servers.

Sideways George Clooney

Quote from: youarearetard on Jun 28, 2014, 02:11 PM
It's because private servers are for Retard Losers like this George Clooney that can't compete in iRO woe, fair and square and they want an easy way out. These losers are in private servers for the following :

1) iRO WOE is Trash, yeah your private servers' WOE are as much of a joke as well; with all those UGLY custom gears, seriously it's not even Ragnarok anymore.
2) Instant cast that iRO doesn't offer, these people are sick of trying to get Phen card or bloodybutterfly card in official and wants instant cast(lazy asses i guess)
4) Insane Drop rate for items, rares and cards, seriously with the high drop rate, I get bored of these s*** private servers in just under an hour. One one wants these precious cards anymore, LOL. when its private servers then first thing that comes to your mind is those Ugly custom gears that makes your eyes bleed.  /omg
5) The fact that These Retards gets to host private servers and then disappear with the cash, when the players are in trouble, due to incompetance of the private server owner  /heh  /ok
7) To PK helpless little newbies that don't even know how to fight (and brag about a kill)

AND then the use of @commands........@warp @go and a lot others, lazy to walk LOL

The above 7 may not be true for low rates but for those high rates, super high rates and for PK servers.

1) idk what servers you're looking at. Most servers just have BG set/Gset and maybe RWC.
2) It's the same gear in private servers, you just need to cook to get high dex. Most people cooked in low rates so it doesn't make a difference except maybe more time for hunting.
3) Same gear as officials.
4) Nobody cares about PvMing after doing it for years. Why would you want to kill 10000 monsters for 1 card, there is literally 0 enjoyment and is why officials are infested with bots.
5) Nothing to do with WoE. The servers you're talking about have s*** WoEs anyway.
6) Who cares? It's like having to do 20 bot games before you can play 1 real game in League. Everyone will end up with the same gear anyway so why prolong it?
7) Again you're looking at retarded servers

Funny talking about fair and square WoEs when some guilds have MvP cards and god items when others don't oop

Tom~

Quote from: youarearetard on Jun 28, 2014, 02:11 PMThe above 7 may not be true for low rates but for those high rates, super high rates and for PK servers.
So you failed to mention the most populated private servers, since HRs and SHRs are mostly dead. Nice.

And so you killed yourself,
but you killed everyone else around you too.

youarearetard

Quote from: Sideways George Clooney on Jun 28, 2014, 02:52 PM
1) idk what servers you're looking at. Most servers just have BG set/Gset and maybe RWC.
2) It's the same gear in private servers, you just need to cook to get insta cast. Most people cooked in low rates so it doesn't make a difference except maybe more time for hunting.
3) Same gear as officials.
4) Nobody cares about PvMing after doing it for years. Why would you want to kill 10000 monsters for 1 card, there is literally 0 enjoyment and is why officials are infested with bots.
5) Nothing to do with WoE. The servers you're talking about have s*** WoEs anyway.
6) Who cares? It's like having to do 20 bot games before you can play 1 real game in League. Everyone will end up with the same gear anyway so why prolong it?
7) Again you're looking at retarded servers

Funny talking about fair and square WoEs when some guilds have MvP cards and god items when others don't oop

LOL at your post, yeah buddy keep dreaming and have fun, your private s*** will shut down sooner

No one wants to play private servers for long, and their server population is laughable, why would they bot in something thats uninteresting?
Yeah keep draming, people in official need to pvm / farm for mats to have enough suppies for WOE, you dont have 'ITEM MALL' to have suppies ready for you.
People in official, even the weak newbs get a chance on the ET runs and even WOE, you dont have to win, you just need to participate to get your share, and they do get MVP cards.

your private battlegrounds are laughable that no one even joins it.

and no, i'm not looking at reatrds servers but instead pointlessly arguing with a douche namley You.

iRO is iRO and cant be matched by any private s*t, enough said

Keep arguing, I wont even respond lol

Sideways George Clooney

Who cares if they eventually shut down? At least we didn't have to waste 1 year gearing and grinding for 15 hours every week. People have jobs and school and actual lives to be spent not playing a 10+ year old game.

idk why you're even talking about anything else since I only mentioned WoE. If baddies fight baddies, then even the poorly geared can do well. If you're fighting decent people and you have bad gears, then the only way to get better is to get better gear.

Why bother fighting a guild that has a GTB on every chem and FBH on every HW? iRO is so anti-competition it's ridiculous.

exii

Quote from: youarearetard on Jun 28, 2014, 02:11 PM

So you like smileys?

You come to this forum, have no idea about p-servers and want us to tell how the world works.
Bring your guild to this server http://woe-ro.net/ and see how everyone will cut you in 2 pieces in notime. It's nice to have a kill counter boost by farming guys like you.
It's a known fact that the quality of midrate servers often is higher as on iRo (woe/bg related).
exii - leader of the nonsense army

finest low quality gw2 streams: http://www.twitch.tv/exii_against_the_world

youarearetard

Quote from: exii on Jun 28, 2014, 03:23 PM
So you like smileys?

You come to this forum, have no idea about p-servers and want us to tell how the world works.
Bring your guild to this server http://woe-ro.net/ and see how everyone will cut you in 2 pieces in notime. It's nice to have a kill counter boost by farming guys like you.
It's a known fact that the quality of midrate servers often is higher as on iRo (woe/bg related).

Cheap way to advertise the server you are playing. but the server front page looks illegit. And no thanks, i'm better off playing the official for the 'Real experience' of the game. I'm better of woeing in iRo than in illegit servers.

exii

Quote from: youarearetard on Jun 28, 2014, 04:02 PM
Cheap way to advertise the server you are playing. but the server front page looks like its a video hosting site rather than a game site. And no thanks, i'm better off playing the official for the 'Real experience' of the game.
I'm not playing there actually. I don't have that connections to guild leaders to get a spot which won't kill me because of boredom like SPP.
But this server is known for very professional woes which iRo retards like you cannot even imagine.

youarearetard

Quote from: exii on Jun 28, 2014, 04:19 PM
I'm not playing there actually. I don't have that connections to guild leaders to get a spot which won't kill me because of boredom like SPP.
But this server is known for very professional woes which iRo retards like you cannot even imagine.

Says the one that is an iRO reject, WOE came on Official first and it  was copied to rethena, you're nothing without the Official server'sexistence. LOLs at your QQs. you're argument is invalid and rejected. the entire ideas were taken from kRo and iRo, i doubt if these pros can make original content as kRo and iRO. lmao

exii

Quote from: youarearetard on Jun 28, 2014, 04:31 PM
Says the one that is an iRO reject, WOE came on Official first and it  was copied to rethena, you're nothing without the Official server'sexistence. LOLs at your QQs. you're argument is invalid and rejected. the entire ideas were taken from kRo and iRo, i doubt if these pros can make original content as kRo and iRO. lmao
Rejected by iRo, lol. Dude I'm european. But this doesn't really matter. Most officials are bad in the same way.

And please, stop posting such s***.
First of all it was not copied, it was rebuild to prevent copyright issues. The first platform was named "eAthena", but ofc you never heard of it.
And ofc they would be able to beat the s*** out of these iRo crowds. The problem is that noone wants to farm mats if p-servers provide an easier way, harder competition and last but not least a so much more stable connection.
Some of them also playing iRo as well as europeans playing fRo. But the reasons are completely different and many just playing it nearby because they have their roots their. Honestly you would be surprised how many playing both types.

Woon

New servers opening and closing within a few months really does piss me off as well.
Those types of servers tend to demotivate the already suffering RO community and I really wish they would stop, but that's not going to happen. People love easy cash and the RO community hasn't learned in all these years and I don't think they ever will. They will keep joining servers knowing full well that they will close.

As proven by the statement made by George.

I have not checked in on the official RO servers in a while so my information might be a bit oudated. So forgive me for that.
-Official servers are a lot more money oriented than 'most' private servers. They constantly promote new shop items and push them onto their players. When I was following them, there were 2-3 posts a day on their social media about shops offers. This same thing carried on into the game. I think for a lot of people at least my self, that is a serious turnoff.
-Official servers were a lot less player to GM involved. You were pretty much on your own from the day you started till the day you got banned for boting.
-This brings me to my next point, boting. At least private servers take a bit of initiative to ban boters.
-Features : Pretty much anything that official servers get, the private servers will copy in a relatively acceptable time frame, however official server do not do that. Some of the official servers contracts with Gravity are publicly available and it clearly states that they have to provide a cookie cutter server. Allowing them for very little room to customize their servers.

Once again if my information is outdated I apologize, but I doubt much has changed in the world of official servers.

boxlunch

The official game is broken and utter s*** and has pretty much been that way since the game was released post-beta after the initial development team left. The problem traces back to the environment of online gaming, when pay2play was popular. This crippled RO after beta since disgruntled players started hacking/bottling and created private servers once they learned they would actually have to play for a game. This pissed off the original developers who then quit working for Gravity. After that, Gravity pretty much went bankrupt and was bought out by Samsung, who then put a dumb donkey in charge of official RO servers. This led to the scrapping of many features (3D MVPs, sprite animation, slayer system) many broken features (LOL mailbox/bank/auction hall) and have done s*** which plagued the game with bugs. Coupled with even more bots overtime and incomplete mechanics (professor is an innately broken class by design because it was never rebalanced properly, along with pretty much every other class), official servers became even worse.

Then came renewal. f*** renewal. A desperate ploy to re-balance the mechanics and add 3rd jobs just completely broke the game. Whatever semblance of stability remained was now gone. The new mechanics did nothing to balance the game, and 3rd jobs pretty much ruined everything by being completely unstable.

What did they do after that? Microtransactions of course. The final nail on the coffin.

Albeit not as bad as RO2, official RO servers are just terribad. There's no metagame. There's no fixes. Game development is run by a complete megalomaniac. All you get are bots and bugs. Enjoy your elitist rates, because that's you have. Kill 10000 mobs and maybe get a card. Private servers may not be perfect --  a lot of them are complete f*** trash with kawaii hats and nothing to offer the game after 12 years -- but at least you can say that they're not run by professionals, but are still able to do a better job than Gravity has done. Even the worst private server is still leagues ahead of official servers at this point. rAthena is f*** magical, and up-to-date clients have no botting problems even with Harmony having died off somewhere.

Either way, let's be honest. Both RO and Private servers will be gone within the year. As soon as Tree of Saviour comes out (which is designed by RO's original team and is pretty much the "real" RO2), both will be dead. ToS will have all of the mechanic balances and features RO was meant to have but never did due to constant neglect.

iro_ori

Quote from: boxlunch on Jun 28, 2014, 05:58 PM

I agree with a lot of your post. It sounds like you've played iRO and Private Servers just like me. There's a lot of people who judge without playing.

There's one thing I can't agree with you more. The iRO management/GM's are complete donkey. It amazes me how they hire people who don't know jack s*** about their game. It's literally embarrassing. If you go to iRO forums and read the GMs post, they don't even know the very basics of the game. So how could they have any input in towards making the game better? Private Servers GMs know about the game because they are ex-player themselves. This is a legitimate reason to play Private Servers over iRO. Not all the other reasons people are saying. The only problem is I don't think they get enough money income to keep it up which is why they die always.

I don't think iRO or Private Servers will be gone within the year. People have been saying that for years and they're both still here. What I've seen happen throughout the years is when good guilds/players quit, the guilds/players who were bad during that time take over and it's just a cycle.

I don't know about that Tree of Saviors game. You are saying it's basically what RO should be and it will steal RO's population? Sounds interesting but I've heard that about a few games over the years.

Tom~

Quote from: iro_ori on Jun 28, 2014, 07:42 PMI don't know about that Tree of Saviors game. You are saying it's basically what RO should be and it will steal RO's population? Sounds interesting but I've heard that about a few games over the years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXBuPMfG5y4

I think it'll most likely kill iRO, idk about private servers.

yC

Referring to boxlunch's post, Gravity was never bought by Samsung.  I wish they do so the company can be run better than what we see now.

About Tree of Savior, everyone is saying that it will be the next big thing bleh bleh.  I don't think it can be related to RO that much to be able to kill it, the graphic is from RO's old graphic team (or so I heard?) doesn't mean it is anywhere close to be a replacement of RO.  There are plenty of mmorpg releases over the years, what make this one special?

youarearetard

Quote from: exii on Jun 28, 2014, 04:53 PM
Rejected by iRo, lol. Dude I'm european. But this doesn't really matter. Most officials are bad in the same way.

And please, stop posting such s***.
First of all it was not copied, it was rebuild to prevent copyright issues. The first platform was named "eAthena", but ofc you never heard of it.
And ofc they would be able to beat the s*** out of these iRo crowds. The problem is that noone wants to farm mats if p-servers provide an easier way, harder competition and last but not least a so much more stable connection.
Some of them also playing iRo as well as europeans playing fRo. But the reasons are completely different and many just playing it nearby because they have their roots their. Honestly you would be surprised how many playing both types.

Quote from: boxlunch on Jun 28, 2014, 05:58 PM
The official game is broken and utter s*** and has pretty much been that way since the game was released post-beta after the initial development team left. The problem traces back to the environment of online gaming, when pay2play was popular. This crippled RO after beta since disgruntled players started hacking/bottling and created private servers once they learned they would actually have to play for a game. This pissed off the original developers who then quit working for Gravity. After that, Gravity pretty much went bankrupt and was bought out by Samsung, who then put a dumb donkey in charge of official RO servers. This led to the scrapping of many features (3D MVPs, sprite animation, slayer system) many broken features (LOL mailbox/bank/auction hall) and have done s*** which plagued the game with bugs. Coupled with even more bots overtime and incomplete mechanics (professor is an innately broken class by design because it was never rebalanced properly, along with pretty much every other class), official servers became even worse.

Then came renewal. f*** renewal. A desperate ploy to re-balance the mechanics and add 3rd jobs just completely broke the game. Whatever semblance of stability remained was now gone. The new mechanics did nothing to balance the game, and 3rd jobs pretty much ruined everything by being completely unstable.

What did they do after that? Microtransactions of course. The final nail on the coffin.

Albeit not as bad as RO2, official RO servers are just terribad. There's no metagame. There's no fixes. Game development is run by a complete megalomaniac. All you get are bots and bugs. Enjoy your elitist rates, because that's you have. Kill 10000 mobs and maybe get a card. Private servers may not be perfect --  a lot of them are complete f*** trash with kawaii hats and nothing to offer the game after 12 years -- but at least you can say that they're not run by professionals, but are still able to do a better job than Gravity has done. Even the worst private server is still leagues ahead of official servers at this point. rAthena is f*** magical, and up-to-date clients have no botting problems even with Harmony having died off somewhere.

Either way, let's be honest. Both RO and Private servers will be gone within the year. As soon as Tree of Saviour comes out (which is designed by RO's original team and is pretty much the "real" RO2), both will be dead. ToS will have all of the mechanic balances and features RO was meant to have but never did due to constant neglect.

Lets be honest here, if official is s**** and has bugs, you are using those bugs
Quote from: iro_ori on Jun 28, 2014, 07:42 PM
I agree with a lot of your post. It sounds like you've played iRO and Private Servers just like me. There's a lot of people who judge without playing.

There's one thing I can't agree with you more. The iRO management/GM's are complete donkey. It amazes me how they hire people who don't know jack s*** about their game. It's literally embarrassing. If you go to iRO forums and read the GMs post, they don't even know the very basics of the game. So how could they have any input in towards making the game better? Private Servers GMs know about the game because they are ex-player themselves. This is a legitimate reason to play Private Servers over iRO. Not all the other reasons people are saying. The only problem is I don't think they get enough money income to keep it up which is why they die always.

I don't think iRO or Private Servers will be gone within the year. People have been saying that for years and they're both still here. What I've seen happen throughout the years is when good guilds/players quit, the guilds/players who were bad during that time take over and it's just a cycle.

I don't know about that Tree of Saviors game. You are saying it's basically what RO should be and it will steal RO's population? Sounds interesting but I've heard that about a few games over the years.

Seriously? I guess your eAthena or Raethena would stop developing if kRO didn't give you updates. and your Raethena team spoonfeeds you privates with everything.

do you private servers have your own team of bugfixers and player support? I dont think so. and official players give inputs(its not called QQs) about bugs and bots because the GM team does a goodjob and they dont need to run away like these private GMs, that is in case of unable to handle even the simplest of situation or download a newer copy of Rethena from Raethena support site

Dont forget you are using the same bugs that officials once had and the fact that you dont spot any bugs is that you dont have most npcs or features found on official. these are replaced by a single npc that heals you, single npc for build reset, a single npc for jobchange and the fact that most servers advertise themselves as Renewal and don't even have renewal features except for the 3rd jobs the Raethena gives you.

I find that the private servers that boast about renewal features does not even have newer places and mobs for the appropriate episode. Privates dont have the full game like in official because these privates dont want the risk of bugs and having a pain to fix them which they are not even good at. Then again they expect Rathena to spoonfeed them with updates and bugfixes. You private guys are stagnant with the classical RO and dont even have what it takes to be on par with the current trend, namely renewal.

Like the reviews I have read about private servers, they just fill up thier cash shop with loads of items, but they did nothing to fix the bugs that players found, the server owner disappeared with the money unable to handle the bugs and unable to repond to his GM team, leaving those GMs to suffer - it all happened in private servers only and not in official. You dont have to know about a game to be good at it. experience comes with time. WOE is only part of the game and isn't everything. Most part of the game is about leveling up, getting stronger, making a right build and then farming for gears, cards, and other items that enhance your character.

Your private servers are like downloading a PC game from Torrent sites instead of going to a store and buying the full game.

And then these Pirated games dont even offer the full game that you expect.

I've seen more QQ's more frustrated players, more rowdy group and more server hopper in private servers than in official.

If you dont like Official then dont trash talk about them because without them your Ethena or Rethena would stop developing. You still get updates from official, dont forget that. your latest patch gunslinger 2nd classes Rebellion made the patch available to privates before the officials but then how sure are you that these and not loaded with bugs? and how sure are you that your private experts know how to take the game in the right direction?

Private servers rarely have maintenance and if they do get attacked due to ddos, they are shut down for days, months or even years and most of these privates dont even return, which doesn't happen in official.
And in fact, officials keep getting new players everyday, most of which are from private servers and used to be private server GMs that have no clue about the current status of the game and they have come to stay and not hopoff to another server. That is to say, officials are not stagnant like privates and keep growing in server population. while the privates are stagnant with a small population that dont get newer players. and these priavtes need voting sites to be recognised and to survice, otherwise they'll have to shutdown. Offical servers are Recognised without voting sites or advertisements. and no, they are not desperate for donations like in private servers, atleast they dont cheat players like in private servers, wherein users donate for cash shop and donation gears but they dont get what they want in return and these private server guys runs off with the money extroted from the players, taking the server down with them.

and for the guy that mentioned about tree of saviour...stay on topic, this argument is about 'Ragnarok' official vs privates. Tree of Saviour is not even launched, and they will have their own official and 'private' if possible. you worry about your Ragnarok not about ToS.

Woon

Can't let this slide.
Quote from: youarearetard on Jun 29, 2014, 06:23 AM
Private servers rarely have maintenance and if they do get attacked due to ddos, they are shut down for days, months or even years and most of these privates dont even return, which doesn't happen in official.
And in fact, officials keep getting new players everyday, most of which are from private servers and used to be private server GMs that have no clue about the current status of the game and they have come to stay and not hopoff to another server. That is to say, officials are not stagnant like privates and keep growing in server population. while the privates are stagnant with a small population that dont get newer players. and these priavtes need voting sites to be recognised and to survice, otherwise they'll have to shutdown. Offical servers are Recognised without voting sites or advertisements. and no, they are not desperate for donations like in private servers, atleast they dont cheat players like in private servers, wherein users donate for cash shop and donation gears but they dont get what they want in return and these private server guys runs off with the money extroted from the players, taking the server down with them.

I believe if you look at some of the longer lasting servers you will see that most have a scheduled maintenance, and a lot of them do it weekly. As for DDOS, you are also wrong in that aspect. Once again the older servers all have DDOS protection, and I don't mean that wimpy firewall stuff. I mean dedicated hosting with DDOS mitigation plus proper firewall settings. These things you mention pretty much apply to new servers, and I would appreciate it if you did not lump the dedicated servers in with these.

I can't comment on priv server players going to official, as I have no supporting evidence in either direction.
As for private servers being stagnant in terms of population, once again I can say from experience, that information is incorrect. I don't really know where this information is coming from since even new servers hit 500+ population nowadays.

As for official servers not being on voting sites, that's true. But official servers do invest money in advertising and underhanded schemes where they threaten priv servers and try to steal their players. If you look through the RMS history you will find evidence of that. The official server promoters at times behave like freshly graduated marketing majors... hmmm. Seriously look at their social media. Speaking of social media, browse through iro Facebook and check out players complaining about server down times and lag. And then be amazed with their replies and solutions...

Next jump on their forums and look at their support team. I honestly had no intention of bashing on iro, but looking at them right now- they kind of remind me of a freshly launched private server. This is not opinionated, just go look for your self - please.

The people running off with donations, unfortunately that seems to be a trend and it is really saddening. However, once again you cannot say that to older dedicated server. I really wish you would specify in your arguments new vs older servers.

Last comments:
As for content, private servers have custom instances, monsters, items, maps, features, game mechanics even custom made music just for their servers. These things that official servers will not have.

exii

First I wanted to give some serious answers about some wrong imaginations which you have. But the more I read your post the less I was in the mood to make some things clear. There are some guys who want to believe just what they want and not what they really see. It begins by the fact that you really think those sources don't have a bug support. The answer to this is: yes. Ofc the whole sourcecode just felt from heaven once, and there is nobody who can translate these runes. It must be an alien technology.

I will completely stop try to be srs only will make joke about the fact that you know a s*** about p-servers and still want to tell how this is working. I guess that's what a "wannabe" is called. You aren't worth an advanced time investigation.

Lets be honest here, if official is s**** and has bugs, you are using those bugs

Seriously? I guess your eAthena or Raethena would stop developing if kRO didn't give you updates. and your Raethena team spoonfeeds you privates with everything.

do you private servers have your own team of bugfixers and player support? I dont think so. and official players give inputs(its not called QQs) about bugs and bots because the GM team does a goodjob and they dont need to run away like these private GMs, that is in case of unable to handle even the simplest of situation or download a newer copy of Rethena from Raethena support site

Dont forget you are using the same bugs that officials once had and the fact that you dont spot any bugs is that you dont have most npcs or features found on official. these are replaced by a single npc that heals you, single npc for build reset, a single npc for jobchange and the fact that most servers advertise themselves as Renewal and don't even have renewal features except for the 3rd jobs the Raethena gives you.

I find that the private servers that boast about renewal features does not even have newer places and mobs for the appropriate episode. Privates dont have the full game like in official because these privates dont want the risk of bugs and having a pain to fix them which they are not even good at. Then again they expect Rathena to spoonfeed them with updates and bugfixes. You private guys are stagnant with the classical RO and dont even have what it takes to be on par with the current trend, namely renewal.

Like the reviews I have read about private servers, they just fill up thier cash shop with loads of items, but they did nothing to fix the bugs that players found, the server owner disappeared with the money unable to handle the bugs and unable to repond to his GM team, leaving those GMs to suffer - it all happened in private servers only and not in official. You dont have to know about a game to be good at it. experience comes with time. WOE is only part of the game and isn't everything. Most part of the game is about leveling up, getting stronger, making a right build and then farming for gears, cards, and other items that enhance your character.

Your private servers are like downloading a PC game from Torrent sites instead of going to a store and buying the full game.

I've seen more QQ's more frustrated players, more rowdy group and more server hopper in private servers than in official.

If you dont like Official then dont trash talk about them because without them your Ethena or Rethena would stop developing. You still get updates from official, dont forget that. your latest patch gunslinger 2nd classes Rebellion made the patch available to privates before the officials but then how sure are you that these and not loaded with bugs? and how sure are you that your private experts know how to take the game in the right direction?

and for the guy that mentioned about tree of saviour...stay on topic, this argument is about 'Ragnarok' official vs privates. Tree of Saviour is not even launched, and they will have their own official and 'private' if possible. you worry about your Ragnarok not about ToS.

The source is called "rAthena".

Most npc functions can be read out and installed in 5mins btw. http://rathena.org/board/topic/65959-packetparser-yommys-amazing-ragnarok-packet-analyzer-framework

I'm really excited when you are going to release new postings.

youarearetard

Quote from: exii on Jun 29, 2014, 10:09 AM
First I wanted to give some serious answers about some wrong imaginations which you have. But the more I read your post the less I was in the mood to make some things clear. There are some guys who want to believe just what they want and not what they really see. It begins by the fact that you really think those sources don't have a bug support. The answer to this is: yes. Ofc the whole sourcecode just felt from heaven once, and there is nobody who can translate these runes. It must be an alien technology.

I will completely stop try to be srs only will make joke about the fact that you know a s*** about p-servers and still want to tell how this is working. I guess that's what a "wannabe" is called. You aren't worth an advanced time investigation.

The source is called "rAthena".

Most npc functions can be read out and installed in 5mins btw. http://rathena.org/board/topic/65959-packetparser-yommys-amazing-ragnarok-packet-analyzer-framework

I'm really excited when you are going to release new postings.

LOL, cool story bro ^_^

youarearetard

Quote from: Woon on Jun 29, 2014, 07:12 AM
Can't let this slide.
I believe if you look at some of the longer lasting servers you will see that most have a scheduled maintenance, and a lot of them do it weekly. As for DDOS, you are also wrong in that aspect. Once again the older servers all have DDOS protection, and I don't mean that wimpy firewall stuff. I mean dedicated hosting with DDOS mitigation plus proper firewall settings. These things you mention pretty much apply to new servers, and I would appreciate it if you did not lump the dedicated servers in with these.

I can't comment on priv server players going to official, as I have no supporting evidence in either direction.
As for private servers being stagnant in terms of population, once again I can say from experience, that information is incorrect. I don't really know where this information is coming from since even new servers hit 500+ population nowadays.

As for official servers not being on voting sites, that's true. But official servers do invest money in advertising and underhanded schemes where they threaten priv servers and try to steal their players. If you look through the RMS history you will find evidence of that. The official server promoters at times behave like freshly graduated marketing majors... hmmm. Seriously look at their social media. Speaking of social media, browse through iro Facebook and check out players complaining about server down times and lag. And then be amazed with their replies and solutions...

Next jump on their forums and look at their support team. I honestly had no intention of bashing on iro, but looking at them right now- they kind of remind me of a freshly launched private server. This is not opinionated, just go look for your self - please.

The people running off with donations, unfortunately that seems to be a trend and it is really saddening. However, once again you cannot say that to older dedicated server. I really wish you would specify in your arguments new vs older servers.

Last comments:
As for content, private servers have custom instances, monsters, items, maps, features, game mechanics even custom made music just for their servers. These things that official servers will not have.

private servers are just a servers, while the official is a Corporate, not just a server. That answers your argument.

Tom~

Idk why is anyone trying to have a smart debate with "youarearetard". He is too biased to even try to understand anything thrown at him, and he just repeats what he has said again and again, showing no knowledge about private servers in the meantime.

@yC: It's not only the graphics. The team that was behind the creation and development of RO (before they left Gravity and were replaced by a team that has no idea what its doing) is developing this game. I guess you could say it's the "spiritual" RO2. Which is why everyone says it's going to kill RO-- it's the sequel many have been waiting for.

lilsword

Many years ago, i was playing iRO but i was a bit disappointed when gms cannot block bots. I got bored especially when bots are KS'ing you. So i moved to Ragnarok Frontier (Not trying to advertise but that's the server's name). It was pretty much the same as iRO. so i stayed there for few years because bots cannot connect to this server. Take note that Ragnarok Frontier is running on Aegis platform which is the same as iRO. But Ragnarok Frontier's staffs managed to create their own method to block bots.

boxlunch

Quote from: yC on Jun 29, 2014, 03:45 AM
Referring to boxlunch's post, Gravity was never bought by Samsung.  I wish they do so the company can be run better than what we see now.
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2910/t131670-everyone-just-loves-samsung/

You do realize private servers can change the code and fix those bugs? I don't think you understand how private servers work.

Yeah, you obviously have no idea how private servers work.

• rAthena (and eAthena in the past) is an entire community dedicated to fixing broken RO features and creating entirely new content. Other than the base data required for emulation, the entire game can be rebuilt from bottom up depending on the server.
  • Yeah, private servers have their own development teams who create server-specific content.
  • Private servers develop better levelling systems depending on their rates and the meta-game they're pursuing. Don't tell us that because private servers don't have certain features that they're bad. Those s*** features are the reason official RO servers are so bad. And no, the GM doesn't really do s*** on official servers. Most localized version of RO don't even have any pwoer and all they do is push microtransactions -- much like some of the private servers that are pay2win.
  • Like I said, not all Private Servers are great, but then again they're not run by professionals. A lot of them are utter s***, but in the end, they're still better than official servers.
  • It sounds like you played on a s*** Private server and now you're QQing about your donation experience. Too bad, you should've played on a better server.
  • Tree of Saviour is very relevant. It's the game RO was always meant to be.

At the end of the day, private servers only exist because the official game was executed so poorly. Look at other MMOs and you'll see how almost none of them have any private servers. If Gravity did a better job then this issue would never have occurred. But it did, 12 years ago. If iRO was so great, all the private servers would've shut down when iRO went f2p a few years back. But they didn't, because even if it was free, no one wanted to play on that piece of s***.

youarearetard

Quote from: boxlunch on Jun 30, 2014, 01:01 AM
You do realize private servers can change the code and fix those bugs? I don't think you understand how private servers work.
Yeah, you obviously have no idea how private servers work.

• rAthena (and eAthena in the past) is an entire community dedicated to fixing broken RO features and creating entirely new content. Other than the base data required for emulation, the entire game can be rebuilt from bottom up depending on the server.
  • Yeah, private servers have their own development teams who create server-specific content.
  • Private servers develop better levelling systems depending on their rates and the meta-game they're pursuing. Don't tell us that because private servers don't have certain features that they're bad. Those s*** features are the reason official RO servers are so bad. And no, the GM doesn't really do s*** on official servers. Most localized version of RO don't even have any pwoer and all they do is push microtransactions -- much like some of the private servers that are pay2win.
  • Like I said, not all Private Servers are great, but then again they're not run by professionals. A lot of them are utter s***, but in the end, they're still better than official servers.
  • It sounds like you played on a s*** Private server and now you're QQing about your donation experience. Too bad, you should've played on a better server.
  • Tree of Saviour is very relevant. It's the game RO was always meant to be.

At the end of the day, private servers only exist because the official game was executed so poorly. Look at other MMOs and you'll see how almost none of them have any private servers. If Gravity did a better job then this issue would never have occurred. But it did, 12 years ago. If iRO was so great, all the private servers would've shut down when iRO went f2p a few years back. But they didn't, because even if it was free, no one wanted to play on that piece of s***.

LOL at these guys and at the original poster.

Quote from: Tom~ on Jun 29, 2014, 05:05 PM
Idk why is anyone trying to have a smart debate with "youarearetard". He is too biased to even try to understand anything thrown at him, and he just repeats what he has said again and again, showing no knowledge about private servers in the meantime.

LOL I am not biased, I could say you are.

I know how your private sh** works and what happens in each one of them.

Why would you even bring this topic when you guys quit playing iRO, whatever be the reason, when this private server trend has going on for years and then there are so many private servers, opening and shutting down, some are there for a longterm, some are bad, some of which are poorly managed, some dont even have a working website, some of them dont even make it into the listing and in some that the server admin tricks players into giving donation and disappears along with the server and opens another server and repeats, leaving the GM team and players QQing, that move on to another private server. And then there are servers that open and dont even have population and they shut down, other servers shut down because admins/gms have found work or don't have time to manage a server. 

The proof of your private servers are right here in RMS. you can read about them, if you know where to find them. You see, you're using iRO as a scapegoat for covering up whatever s*** happens in your private servers.

If you dont like iRO, dont play, dont rant about it, you dont even have the right to.

And then thats why you're here in RMS.

So shut up and play your private servers.  Compete but not compare !!!

I guess it's pointless for me to argue with ignorant people that don't get the point.

Playtester

I wouldn't even mind the iRO rates.

Reason why I don't play on iRO:
1. It's full of bots.
2. It doesn't have a main chat channel (hard to actually find non-bot players).
3. Renewal (kind of, I could play on iRO classic, but that's even worse regarding #1 and #2)

boxlunch

Quote from: youarearetard on Jul 01, 2014, 05:07 AM
LOL at these guys and at the original poster.

LOL I am not biased, I could say you are.

I know how your private sh** works and what happens in each one of them.

Why would you even bring this topic when you guys quit playing iRO, whatever be the reason, when this private server trend has going on for years and then there are so many private servers, opening and shutting down, some are there for a longterm, some are bad, some of which are poorly managed, some dont even have a working website, some of them dont even make it into the listing and in some that the server admin tricks players into giving donation and disappears along with the server and opens another server and repeats, leaving the GM team and players QQing, that move on to another private server. And then there are servers that open and dont even have population and they shut down, other servers shut down because admins/gms have found work or don't have time to manage a server. 

The proof of your private servers are right here in RMS. you can read about them, if you know where to find them. You see, you're using iRO as a scapegoat for covering up whatever s*** happens in your private servers.

If you dont like iRO, dont play, dont rant about it, you dont even have the right to.

And then thats why you're here in RMS.

So shut up and play your private servers.  Compete but not compare !!!

I guess it's pointless for me to argue with ignorant people that don't get the point.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having listened to it. You are no longer worthy of my time, and may God have mercy on your soul.

pillbug

Quote from: boxlunch on Jul 01, 2014, 01:48 PM
Spoiler

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having listened to it. You are no longer worthy of my time, and may God have mercy on your soul.

[close]

+1 for Billy Madison.

youarearetard

You came here just to say this?

Quote from: boxlunch on Jul 01, 2014, 01:48 PM

CooL Story, Bro !!!

exii

Not sure if I should continue making jokes about him. He seems really mentally retarded and offending ppl with handicaps might be a bit unfair.

youarearetard

Quote from: exii on Jul 01, 2014, 04:19 PM
Not sure if I should continue making jokes about him. He seems really mentally retarded and offending ppl with handicaps might be a bit unfair.

LOL, says the person playing illegal games.
private servers are illegal and exist only to give speed leveling for reaching end game and for trying out other features, to retard lazy asses like yourself.
it's your mind problem if you get offended, not mine. you are just debating if Reathena is legal or not but not confirmed if this is legal or yet have no proof of this s***.
next, talking about bots in iRO, Reathana is fans created 3rd party site and you are in the same standing as those bots. you shouldn't be complaining about iRO whoever knows if people like you are members of bots sites as well and you could be a bot user as well.

none of the legit websites for games has ever encouraged your s***. so gtfo !!!

yC

Quote from: boxlunch on Jun 30, 2014, 01:01 AM

Pulling info from 2002 and out of a forum post?  Do you have a more reliable source?

Checking the publicly traded company's stock information (scroll down), of course the chairman and CEO are all different by now.

https://www.google.com/finance?q=grvy and I can't find a mention of Samsung in the wiki of the company http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_Corp

As far as I know the biggest shareholders of Gravity is the company that holds the license of the Japanese RO server.  The company is not owned by Samsung.

Haven't have time to read the other posts, I'll read them soon. 

Anthor

I really don't understand how people think sometime, if your going on a game to have fun then who care about the effort you put in that thing? If you go play a game, you should laugh every time you play you should never be bored or anything because you are doing something YOU LOVE to do. And when you don't have fun anymore you change. No one can stay static, no matter what, everyone have to change even for games. And thats why any game will alway have a decrease of population! But its always for something better!

So quit complaining, and admit yourself that you have to change. You have to find fun. try something new!

Xarale

To answer the original question, I personally prefer private servers over iRO, and here's why:

1) Bots - There's always been bots on iRO of course.  I remember starting out there years ago and seeing bots from time to time, although most of them would at least try to disguise themselves. (ie. teleporting on sight, or using an auto-response function if someone spoke to them)  Since going free-to-play, it seems the bot problem has just exploded.  I went on iRO last year, and I was horrified at the insane amount of people botting.  Pretty much every map I levelled on was full of bots.  In fact botting is so common now, the botters themselves don't even attempt to disguise it anymore.  Hell, you'll often see third class bots or bots wearing expensive headgears without a care in the world.  It's almost as if they know that there's little chance of anything being done to stop them.  It's quite disappointing to see that the official server can't deal with bots, and yet private servers have managed to eliminate them years ago.

2) Economy - I guess this varies between private servers, but on iRO.. again it's insane!  You could have say.. 500 million zeny on iRO, and you won't even be considered rich at all.  Furthermore it seems like every veteran player on iRO has +9 (or higher) fully enchanted gears, meaning a newer player will have to spend upwards and possibly more than a billion zeny in order to begin catching up with the veterans.  Unless the new player is amazing at making money, or has a fat wallet in r/l (more on this below), it's going to take any new player a very long time before they can catch up.  While I do agree with there being a gap between newer players and veterans, I think the gap on iRO is a little too large, which can be a little off-putting to some newer players.

3) Pay-to-win - Sure, there's p-servers with ridiculous donations, but I (like most people) avoid these kinds of servers.  iRO on the other hand, is pretty much pay-to-win now since they went F2P.  If you're rich in r/l, then you can probably buy your way to becoming a billionaire on iRO through the cash shop within a day or two.

4) Community - Maybe I was just unfortunate, but I found iRO's community to be a little hostile.  I've had multiple people harass me simply for having a few rare names.  I also found that quite a few guilds aren't interested in inviting you unless you've reached 3rd class.  I personally find that certain p-servers are more social & friendly in comparison to iRO, especially since p-servers have more ways to encourage socialising. (ie. chat channels such as @Main)

5) Commands - I'll avoid servers with @warp commands and other commands commonly found in higher rate servers, but there's other very useful commands such as @autotrade that make life on p-servers a little easier.  I always disliked having to leave multiple iRO windows running if I wanted to vend overnight, so being able to @autotrade is great for me.  Other commands to combat KS'ing such as @noks are also nice too.

Despite the list, I don't hate iRO.  After all, it's where I began my RO journey around a decade ago.  Even now I still visit iRO from time to time, but I don't think I could ever play there on a full-time basis again.

Now, where did I put that hat.. ah yes here it is. *puts on Moderator hat* 

Let's kindly drop the insults from here on out, especially looking at you youarearetard.  You're welcome to your own opinion, but don't insult others simply because their opinion is different to yours.  Some people prefer p-servers, some prefer iRO.  End of story.

-X.

exii

That guy was just a rndm he registered here, made a few flames and never will log in again.