Why Donation?

Started by MickyRO, Feb 25, 2011, 02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

l2ue

Quote from: Yusifer on Mar 01, 2011, 08:59 PM
Quote from: lilmonsta95 on Feb 28, 2011, 04:27 PM
Wow your crazy, why would you pay money if you get nothing from it? Is it your money or your parents? Even the richest person alive doesn't like to spend and gain nothing in return.

Why do you play RO if you gain nothing from it? Because you enjoy it, and it's a hobby / past-time of yours.

Just as administrating a server could be a hobby. Sure, unlike the player (unless you're mass-donating for stupid pixels), you're spending money every month and a lot of time and energy (if you're a decent admin, anyway) on something that doesn't generate a revenue.

However, it could bring some people great joy to make others happy, which in turn makes themselves happy. Administration is a mere pleasure; the very same thing could be said about other past-times, too, such as spending time and energy volunteering, for charity, going door-to-door selling candy bars for the Heart Foundation. You're not seeing any income from it, but you help others, and idealistically, that should be a very pleasureful thing for all human beings.

But people nowadays only give to receive, hidden intentions that force people to believe sometimes that "You're only doing this to hold it against me / blackmail me / bribe me later." It's sad, but that's the world we live in, where wanting to help people and sincerely wanting nothing in return is a skeptical, odd, bizarre, and laughable characteristic and behaviour. Sad.

^ LOL. PRICELESS.

I do hope that you realize that infringing copyrights of a Korean MMORPG is not even close to any type of charity. However, if you are comparing a charity foundation that capitalizes on donations, then you might be somewhat close.

I also don't imagine MickyRO to be the type of guy to be going door to door selling candy bars like a girl scout.

"The school of the undefeated East!"
"The winds of the king!"
"Look! The East is burning red!"

pr3zs

dedicated servers and some hosters are not cheap.

adhelle

Out of my own experience, and for what I get from my friends that also own their own servers, doing a specific task like either mapping, scripting is usually a hobby, but administrating a server is mostly NOT. It can be when the population is small, and the pressure is a lot smaller. And if there wasn't so many morons on the internet. But in the end it's only s*** and trouble, sometimes proportional to population. Which is why so many servers die so soon. Gotta be a tank to handle it long or have a large and capable staff team with people you trust, either that or you take off and it dies.

Anyway, let's face the facts, unless you plan to have 20 players online forever, and your server concept is something that's fit for a small population, let's say a role-play thing, then yes, it's a great idea. But if you want to give space for expansion, unless you are rich, you will certainly need to receive donations from players somehow, and keep saving them in case something happens and you stop receiving them. Plus, it's not only about the host, cool things for the server are usually very expensive, specially ads. I have paid 1500+ for one. Well, afterall I'm not sure if it was worthy, but I'd do it again.

lilmonsta95

kchn1811

When playing ro i don't donate on the server. Cuz what might have happened if the server died?. i go to the server which used to have so many players playing ( the old days). And yet last year i don't quite remember. A huge changed happan's when there was this Update. Which is about voting for points happening on the server. Vote for points and get the items.

People have begun voting for points to get items. from the npc

All the sudden there was the vote for points abuse. And now they don't have the vote for points anymore and that makes some people be like " damm".

And after a few days the population is just getting low. But use to be high when theres the voting system. And yet the server is like dead. Not to many people on these days now on that server.

That is just my experience on some of the ro server's.

Usagimimi

Quote from: l2ue on Mar 01, 2011, 09:22 PM
Quote from: Yusifer on Mar 01, 2011, 08:59 PM
Quote from: lilmonsta95 on Feb 28, 2011, 04:27 PM
Wow your crazy, why would you pay money if you get nothing from it? Is it your money or your parents? Even the richest person alive doesn't like to spend and gain nothing in return.

Why do you play RO if you gain nothing from it? Because you enjoy it, and it's a hobby / past-time of yours.

Just as administrating a server could be a hobby. Sure, unlike the player (unless you're mass-donating for stupid pixels), you're spending money every month and a lot of time and energy (if you're a decent admin, anyway) on something that doesn't generate a revenue.

However, it could bring some people great joy to make others happy, which in turn makes themselves happy. Administration is a mere pleasure; the very same thing could be said about other past-times, too, such as spending time and energy volunteering, for charity, going door-to-door selling candy bars for the Heart Foundation. You're not seeing any income from it, but you help others, and idealistically, that should be a very pleasureful thing for all human beings.

But people nowadays only give to receive, hidden intentions that force people to believe sometimes that "You're only doing this to hold it against me / blackmail me / bribe me later." It's sad, but that's the world we live in, where wanting to help people and sincerely wanting nothing in return is a skeptical, odd, bizarre, and laughable characteristic and behaviour. Sad.

^ LOL. PRICELESS.

I do hope that you realize that infringing copyrights of a Korean MMORPG is not even close to any type of charity. However, if you are comparing a charity foundation that capitalizes on donations, then you might be somewhat close.

I also don't imagine MickyRO to be the type of guy to be going door to door selling candy bars like a girl scout.

The former was definitely not implied anywhere; the latter, however, is how typical RO servers are run nowadays. I'm merely saying there could be some individuals that really don't want to profit from their "charity" gesture. I'm not sure what's a good example, but I'm pretty sure UNICEF is non-profit. Same idea. They do all their efforts, but gain nothing other than the satisfaction of helping people.

Or I would hope. If they, too, gain some sort of profit (they announce themselves as non-profit, much like some RO servers do rofl), then that's not a good example and I'll need to find a different one.

For now, hopefully you understand what I mean o_0 'cause you were way off the first time.

DarkDevine

UNICEF collects donations
TotalRO - 10x/10x

l2ue

Quote from: Yusifer on Mar 02, 2011, 09:55 PM
The former was definitely not implied anywhere; the latter, however, is how typical RO servers are run nowadays. I'm merely saying there could be some individuals that really don't want to profit from their "charity" gesture. I'm not sure what's a good example, but I'm pretty sure UNICEF is non-profit. Same idea. They do all their efforts, but gain nothing other than the satisfaction of helping people.

Or I would hope. If they, too, gain some sort of profit (they announce themselves as non-profit, much like some RO servers do rofl), then that's not a good example and I'll need to find a different one.

For now, hopefully you understand what I mean o_0 'cause you were way off the first time.

I mean its not like you are pulling words out of your ass or anything, but you might want to avoid addressing the first half of my post as "the former" and then addressing the other half as the "the latter." It makes you look stupid when you are trying to sound smart and articulated at the same time.

Also if you're trying to clarify something, you might want to do it in the exact same context as before to avoid confusion. So when you were talking about charity gestures, you were talking about how administrative work can be like going door to door selling candy bars for a non-profitable foundation. And since hosting / administrating a private RO server infringes copyrights of Gravity, its ironic to compare something illegal to selling candy bars door to door for a non-profit foundation. Its almost like saying that its a charity gesture to run a drug cartel that doesn't make any money.

Anyways, its not like I am calling you stupid or anything, sometimes it makes me feel smarter when I am trying to explain stuff to people who don't really know anything.

"The winds of the king!"

Usagimimi

Quote from: l2ueI do hope that you realize that infringing copyrights of a Korean MMORPG is not even close to any type of charity.

Former.

Quote from: l2ueHowever, if you are comparing a charity foundation that capitalizes on donations, then you might be somewhat close.

Latter.

As for the illegal part, I wasn't even touching base on that. The subject at hand was why people would do it for free, not about its legality. I merely pointed out that administration is a hobby that people might enjoy, and that not everybody is thinking for themselves when they do things - even if it costs them out of their own pocket / costs them their time.

If you want to change the subject, make a new topic, or merely ressurect one of those old ones floating around (there are many) regarding legal issues, etc.

Quote from: DarkDevineUNICEF collects donations

But does UNICEF profit from them? That's what I'm not sure of :<

Zigizo

Show me a server where all donations go towards the server and I'll show you a flying pig

The term "donation" is just a sham term so you feel better about spending money.

It's actually pretty funny to hear where the money goes. One guy was feeding his cocaine habit and another got cosmetic surgery. Good times.

l2ue

Quote from: Yusifer on Mar 05, 2011, 11:03 PM
Quote from: l2ueI do hope that you realize that infringing copyrights of a Korean MMORPG is not even close to any type of charity.

Former.

Quote from: l2ueHowever, if you are comparing a charity foundation that capitalizes on donations, then you might be somewhat close.

Latter.

Quote from: l2ue on Mar 03, 2011, 02:05 PM
I mean its not like you are pulling words out of your ass or anything, but you might want to avoid addressing the first half of my post as "the former" and then addressing the other half as the "the latter." It makes you look stupid when you are trying to sound smart and articulated at the same time.

Whenever I post around these forums. Most people think I am trolling them or being really rude, but most of the time, I am just giving really good advice.

So whenever you feel like you have amazing language skills and want to appear more elite than your community, such as being articulated.

You might actually want to steer away from using textbook vocabulary and generic phrase/statements, such as "subject at hand".

For example, no one (except a douchebag / wannabe engfag) would address someone's post as the former and latter all in one sentence. Whenever someone uses the word former or latter, the subject must be imply before it can be used, usually following up a statement. So when you start off your first sentence using the words "former" and "latter" to address my post, it doesn't really point to any particular part of my post. It obvious that latter addresses a secondary option (maybe the second paragraph) but former doesn't specificly point anywhere.

So in case I didn't make it clear the first time. Fluent English? You're doing it wrong.

As for the illegal part, I wasn't even touching base on that. The subject at hand was why people would do it for free, not about its legality. I merely pointed out that administration is a hobby that people might enjoy, and that not everybody is thinking for themselves when they do things - even if it costs them out of their own pocket / costs them their time.

If you want to change the subject, make a new topic, or merely ressurect one of those old ones floating around (there are many) regarding legal issues, etc.

Whenever you are participating in a discussion. The subjects and topics that derive from the original discussion is still relevant.

And I don't really want to repeat what I've said previously. Unless you can't even read or comprehension basic English even if flawed.

k?

k

"The winds of the king!"

DarkDevine

Quote from: DarkDevineUNICEF collects donations

But does UNICEF profit from them? That's what I'm not sure of :<
If you're not sure about it, don't use it as an argument.
I'm pretty sure, the guys of UNICEF have families etc. they need to feed and take care of.
TotalRO - 10x/10x

Tom~

Afaik UNICEF is a non-profit organization-- those who work on it are volunteers and most likely have other jobs. Remember that UNICEF means "United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund", and therefore is part of the United Nations General Assembly.

As for the topic: Tbh the term "donation" does not apply to most servers nowadays. Most servers have "Cash Shops" disguised as "Donation Rewards". I guess it's done to keep the server up and running... sometimes. Because, you know, not every single owner out there can pay for a server for an extended period of time.
But, also, there are owners who simply want an easy way to make money. They open a server for a few months, add tempting items to their cash shops-- donation rewards, I mean-- and then close it when they have enough money. It's sad, but it's true: most owners only care about $$$$$.

And so you killed yourself,
but you killed everyone else around you too.

Usagimimi

Quote from: Tom~ on Mar 06, 2011, 10:35 AM
Afaik UNICEF is a non-profit organization-- those who work on it are volunteers and most likely have other jobs. Remember that UNICEF means "United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund", and therefore is part of the United Nations General Assembly.

Thanks, Tom~. I was pretty sure it was non-profit, which further points out that some people like to help / do things for others without wanting anything but happy smiles and satisfaction in return (theoretically).

adhelle

Being non-profit organization does not necessarily mean it doesnt pay employees and taxes though. The school I studied wasnt public but it was non-profit. It was cheap because the fees were used strictly for paying teachers and employees salaries + general building maintenance, expanding, etc. Why did we change subject so much anyway? xD