What makes a server... "good"?

Started by Usagimimi, May 22, 2010, 10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomi

For me what makes a good server is a dedicated team, a well put together server, and at least the Dev Team with  the general knowledge to keep that server a-float, and even improve it to better the experience. To be honest, what I feel makes good servers fall though is the view that what makes a good server is the population. Generally when you make a server, the population will be pretty small, which usually doesn't help if people view as the population being the top (or near the top) thing to look at. XP

Kuprin

One thing I ought to mention. GMs need to learn which complaints to ignore, and which to think about. The incumbents are always going to be the loudest whiners. When you're fixing a bug a large group is benefiting from, you need to ignore them, not cringe at your whining and stop what you're doing.

See LuminaRO with MVP cards. What a mess. .-.;
Embrace the invigorating spirit of sport! Come, fight me!

Pooptart

A server that is good for me will have a friendly community, and a knowledgeable and dedicated staff. The most important part is the community, if there's no one to talk to then it's just not fun for me. :]

Ganondorf

- The staff must not be incompetent.
- The staff must treat everyone equally.
- Some members of the community must take it upon themselves to do research and become as knowledgeable or more knowledgeable than the staff themselves and keep an eye on crucial changes or decisions that are made.
- The staff must be able to take criticism well from these said knowledgeable citizens.  This is where most servers begin their downhill death IMO, most Admins get offended or just ignore people if they're being stood up to.
- No corruption should be present.  Another leading cause of server death.
- Donations must be balanced and obtainable by everyone in game somehow.
- Proper advertisement is needed.  It costs too much money you say?  Don't make a bloody server then.

It mostly comes down to the Admin and staff, if they show a weakness, it will be exploited.  That's just a way of humanity.

Bizzaar423

One word: Balance

That is all it take, everything should be balanced!

uncelebrated

Lag Free
No/Minimal Corruption
Active Population
Friendly Population
Competitive WoE
Bot Free
Main Chat :D
'effective now, ***** is butthurt because his server sucks without competent players to make things interesting'

Retrotiger

The server should be unique. It must have a feature that other servers don't have. That will attract alot of players. You don't have to blend in with other RO servers. Also, your server should only be LR/HR. MR/SHR don't last long enough.
If you need graphic services, click on the logo.

Solstice

Quote from: Bizzaar423 on Sep 23, 2010, 12:24 PM
One word: Balance

That is all it take, everything should be balanced!

I completely agree with this. Balance should not only be present in items, but also in events, leveling difficulty, activeness of GM staff, economy, and donations. Basically every single aspect of the server :)
Keep On Ragnarok Online. 13x 13x 10x
Now Open! Come Join Us!

Flyinfingaz

For me its

Minimal card/skill nerfs
Obtainable donations through quest etc.
Competitive PvP
No lag
Competitive community is a must because I'm sick of servers where everyone just sits in the main town all day and no one pvps.
50+ population
Reasonable staff/admins
No hp/sp healing items in pvp
Balanced custom items
Easy to max out and drop rate around 1-20% for mvp cards

Its so hard to find a server like this nowadays....

Kyroki

Hmm, I'd have to say:
.Friendly community: The few odd trolls and jerks can't be avoided, but as long as the majority are decent or helpful, it makes it feel comforting to be in
.Active Gm's: It's no good to feel like the people who keep the server in order are no where to be seen, the constant presence of authority figures helps keep rule breakers in check
.Skill, Not Money: If you can just buy a Thanatos card and uber items with real money, it ruins the game. It becomes more of who can spend the most rather than who can play the best

Tart

I agree with Flyingfingaz.

Competitive PvP and WoE (shows team work and knowledge of classes)
Active GMs that updates every now and then shows that they're dedicated.
No Yggs xD
Balanced customs and Minimal skill nerfs.
Fun community
Do-able quests that are enjoyable and non of those 2k soft feathers quests xD
High exp rate but has mid - low rate stat

for me that's a good server xD

Virtual RO

Quote from: DeePee on May 23, 2010, 05:02 PM
- Not hosted by RO hosts like Frantech.

I din't get you at this. Someone please explain.

Solstice

Quote from: Virtual RO on Nov 05, 2010, 04:03 PM
Quote from: DeePee on May 23, 2010, 05:02 PM
- Not hosted by RO hosts like Frantech.

I din't get you at this. Someone please explain.

He probably means that he want his Ragnarok Server to be hosted by a sturdy and stable Host, and by that was he stated his sentence it seems like he is unsatisfied with Frantech :D
Keep On Ragnarok Online. 13x 13x 10x
Now Open! Come Join Us!

Noobstarr

A good server:
1. Has a stable connection (not lag as much as possible).
2. Has a good, active, friendly and approachable GMs.
3. Has a good economy (means that people are friendly and items/cards are worth hunting for).
4. Doesn't have an imbalanced/overpowered donation items.
5. As much as possible, NOT TOO CUSTOMIZED which make the server imbalanced (e.g: wings, level 200+, max stats 200+).

RoK on!  ;D