What makes a server... "good"?

Started by Usagimimi, May 22, 2010, 10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Usagimimi

I'm just curious what people think makes a server "good." I personally prefer a decent GM team, limited drama, and players who use public chat when in towns to chatter. It gives the server a more friendly feeling :]

Mathy

• An economy that actually works;
  • friendly players, GMs and active community;
  • a staff that knows what it's doing;
  • team work;
  • competition that isn't too serious nor too light;
  • hard work involved;
  • stability/availability;
  • customization may be added, and it should, but keeping the balance between classes;
  • nothing overpowered, no matter how much you have to work for it;
  • lack of donation rewards or very few of them.
/personal opinion
Oh, and I forgot:
  • The exact opposite of laziness. Kafras are cheap, Creamy card is not hard to get. Learn to walk and make minimum effort to take job change tests, they are easy and kinda add to the game.

Mathy

Airship is fun, adds to the realism of the game much more than Kafra warps.
If you don't want realism, then it's your preference to join servers with @warp. Not mine and she knows that, not to mention it's clearly stated in the post.

Mathy

Quote from: ReturnofYou on May 23, 2010, 12:27 AM
Quote from: Mathy on May 23, 2010, 12:14 AM

I love being bored in my FANTASY, MAGIC-FILLED video games, realistically!

Summary:

Walking across maps is not fun.
Killing things is fun.

I like to have fun in my video games.
I like realism. I like leveling slowly, not instant 99. I like paying for warping services. If the game was supposed to be unrealistic, why bothering with killing things? If a monster holds X sword, it should drop 100%, eh?
You're the kind of lazy person I cannot stand. Not only that, you also disrespect opinions that don't match yours. Wanna have fun? Go to a test server where there's 0 effort. I heard you can kill stuff there too.

Usagimimi

This is a hypothetical thread. I personally think there are a few good servers, but none to my personal liking rate-wise.

Hypothetically, and imaginatively, what qualities does a server / server team / whatever need to be deemed "good" in your opinion?

Thanks for the extensive answer, Mathy :D

Khaine

Hmm...

• Good economy.
  • Friendly community staff!
  • Balance.
  • A professional staff that actually knows scripting, src etc.
  • No OP items or donations!
  • Either tons or barely any customization

I realized most of these are similar to what Mathy said lol but...still
Quote from: Serenity on Apr 09, 2010, 04:17 AM
I'm just trying to get laid.
Quote from: HiddenIts time for kickin donkey or chewing bubble gum. And i'm all outta bubble gum.

Mathy

Quote from: ReturnofYou on May 23, 2010, 12:27 AM
Quote from: Mathy on May 23, 2010, 12:14 AM

I love being bored in my FANTASY, MAGIC-FILLED video games, realistically!

Summary:

Walking across maps is not fun.
Killing things is fun.

I like to have fun in my video games.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verisimilitude
The concept of verisimilitude says that a world/universe can be have as much fantasy as you want, but whatever happens inside it must be inside it's own set of rules.
Why would Kafras be added to this world if you are not even supposed to move in a map where your target doesn't spawn? Also, why not being able to spawn whatever you want?

Revenant

• Omnipotent staff. There should be no staff members that work on a single aspect of the server; all should be able to work on anything that is neccesary, at any given moment in time.
  • Competent server owners that know what they have in mind for their server and refuse to bend to popular demand, against their will.
  • Literal server stability, naturally. Certain things are out of a person's control, but if they're getting hosted by FranTech... yeah, incompetent admin.
  • Innovation. People laugh at full server conversion mods, but at least they're attempting to be different. Every single RO server right now is basically the same.
  • This is utter fantasy, but; A playerbase that's just as smart and as capable as the staff themselves, able to comprehend things and contribute in a constructive manner.
For the love of god, people, stop posting topics about recruiting staff on this forum, or indeed any forum. If you really feel the need to publicize the fact you're incapable of running your own server, and as such, must rely on someone you know nothing about as a crutch, be prepared to deal with the consequences, as people who go deliberately looking for GM positions are most likely as dumb as the inept server owner in question, if not moreso.

People offering paid services may or may not be screwing you over, depending on the product. Web designers? There's quite a good few out there; many take time to do their work, and charge quite a bit as a result. Just be sure you're not getting someone elses' website, rebranded for quick cash. If you hire someone to do things such as install customs for you, give up running a server. You're wasting time and letting someone take advantage of your stupidity.

[1] [2] [3] [4]

Habuka

There isnt any stupid people.
-I could play a server with OP donation, no economy, etc. As long as the people are alright and they help eachother (Including the admin) I could play for hours.
I Is Warned

Usagimimi

Quote from: ReturnofYouhaving telepathy is optional.

'kay, if you're trying to troll the topic by saying that, then gtfo.

If it's a "joke", stop joking. It's not funny >> You've said what you like in servers. Stop debating.

----

I think I see a staff/community pattern lol

adhelle

my personal opinion

- no op donations or obtainable by quest
- active staff that works hard
- awesome woe, noone mentioned this but I do believe its one of the most important things of the server
- neither 0 neither 100000000000 customizations
- people

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

ReturnofYou trying to go all whupass on this thread is funny to watch.

As for what makes a good RO server...

Faithfulness, because we are trying to play RO here, so f*** off with your customs. If you're bored with RO simply find yourself another MMO to play - there are thousands of them out there - and don't s*** in mine, kthxbai.

Persistency, both in the fact that people are putting a lot of time into their characters and the last thing they want is all that hard work gone because someone decided it's time to woo some whore with an iPad instead of paying the host, and in the fact that once a server is set you should stick with it and not change it halfway through in some stupid attempt to please players or even stupider attempt to get more of them.

Moderation, that is enforcing the server rules which mostly comes down to hunting down bots and fixing dangerous/abuseable eAthena bugs, but also stepping in when the drama gets out of hand.

Habuka

I Is Warned

Bliss

There are as many different versions of a good server as their are players looking for their own idea of what a Ro server should be. We all like different things or dislike other things that might seem amazing to someone else.

I think the basis of a good server is a knowledgable and dedicated administration with a positive attitude who know how to be professionals and keep things running smoothly/progressively in the direction they want their server to go (and know where they want it to go). If the administration is not up to the job, can't handle it or doesn't have a vision of what they want then the server will show the effects no matter what content it has usually I believe. This definitely isn't a recipie for success though lol. This is what I attempt in my own server and the results aren't always what I hope. I still believe it though and am happy/enjoy what I do.  :D

My own personal idea of a great server is one that allows the player to make a real impact and feel a stake in the server itself. Of course there needs to be plenty to do and features that appeal to a wide range of players so that the entire population can be satisfied in one way or another. That's nothing to do with rates or custom content, people will look for what they want but within the rates and the content, that's what I would look for. That's just my oppinion. ;)

DeePee

- Competent and mature staff that actually knows what they're doing.
- No scripts from the eAthena script release forum that have not been completely rewritten.
- Preferably up longer than 1 year.
- Not hosted by RO hosts like Frantech.