Heavily modified RO servers yay or nay?

Started by xStormrage, Nov 06, 2018, 11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jhon

actually a good topic

1.Renewal Content offers great content updates into the game, servers should re-itemize those things to pre-renewal

2.Renewal Content should be offered to pre-renewal players but not like extremely difficult in objectives, the ability to farm items and gear and WoE is ragnarok

3.high developed servers are better servers, anyone is able to pick up scripts for server hosting.

4.server communitys are attractive

Three and Four in this post have like no obvious reasoning

Ragnarok is still a really good game

Achelexus

RO's engine is just, so, so bad. Even for a 2002 game. Which is partially why trying to change it heavily can be just a big waste of effort.

In general, yeah, trying to fix so many of the game's flaws is a noble goal. Sadly, most players don't seem to think that, as they feel alienated by most custom changes. It doesn't help that most custom features I see in servers don't actually make the game better.

Styx

Like playtester said, stick to original. As a matter of fact there is almost no server offering exactly that at all.

Jhon

Just had this arguement earlier, Ragnarok is one of the best games ever made.

its like game design at its best, the only other game comparable happened to be runescape.

Jhon

I forgot I had this arguement earlier, the only other games comparable today, are ;

Archeage

Mortal Online

RuneScape

and

Black Desert

Its like being offered cake but the cake isnt cut into pieces.

Playtester

Quote from: Blinzer on Nov 15, 2018, 03:58 PMyeah, i agree with that in most cases. but that scales exponentially with your skills as a developer, and the thing is most people can't just snap their fingers and start pumping out a good game. changing an already existing game really goes a long way to teaching you all of the basic bricks and understanding the essence of what a game is and how everything interacts with each other. if we're talking about efficiency, a mediocre player would have a very hard time developing anything that isn't a complete disaster.
True, but we are talking here about a hypothetical developer skilled enough to make RO better by customization. And this hypothetical developer who can turn RO into an even greater MMORPG, has all the skills and time required to make his own game. Or so I claim.

But working with the emulator is actually a good way to learn programming among other things. I even put it into my resumé and it got me a job!

Styx

I bet it did but having developer skills just isn't good enough. You need a complete team with enough knowledge and potential to make it work. For Ragnarok we are talking about Minsoo Lee and he is a great developer but he alone wasn't  enough for this succes. Though it helped he gave preference developing according the circumstances rather then excluding it with regulations. In a Pyramide based game you won't make it without the base. So, yes only a server loaded with noobs would be fun to play and a success. Remember, at the top of Ragnarok the majority of the playerbase never bothered with WOE, they thought it was for elite only. Not that they wouldn't try on occasion but they expected to get wiped. They just had fun to play in this world and just being part of it but if you puke too much on them, they will disappear because they start to understand they are not needed or wanted in this world and then you will be left with the salty elite only and develop only for them and enlarging the gap even more.

Cubano

Quote from: Styx on Nov 20, 2018, 04:06 PM
I bet it did but having developer skills just isn't good enough. You need a complete team with enough knowledge and potential to make it work. For Ragnarok we are talking about Minsoo Lee and he is a great developer but he alone wasn't  enough for this succes. Though it helped he gave preference developing according the circumstances rather then excluding it with regulations. In a Pyramide based game you won't make it without the base. So, yes only a server loaded with noobs would be fun to play and a success. Remember, at the top of Ragnarok the majority of the playerbase never bothered with WOE, they thought it was for elite only. Not that they wouldn't try on occasion but they expected to get wiped. They just had fun to play in this world and just being part of it but if you puke too much on them, they will disappear because they start to understand they are not needed or wanted in this world and then you will be left with the salty elite only and develop only for them and enlarging the gap even more.
/sob don't hate me pls

on-topic:
As Styx said, there are way too many overly modified RO servers out there and typically they gain little to no traction as let's say a server like TalonRO already offers a heavily modified server and boasts a huge community. What would your server offer to others that they cannot get somewhere else and why does that make it more enticing to play?

Good luck!

rip deityRO

Blinzer

QuoteTalonRO already offers a heavily modified server