Donation-free Server

Started by EclipseToo, Jul 10, 2016, 04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacobo_bobo

I didn't mean to call Origins RO a mediocre server. I know how hard it is to grow an original server, considering there is nothing unique about it and all its features are  10 years+ old. That is why I did not include that sentence in  the OriginsRO paragraph.

When I mentioned the "anyone can make a mediocre server" i was answering the person that said "How come there are so many servers if it's so expensive to host one" and I said anyone can make a server. Another thing is to make it successful and last years.

Quote from: blame20 on Jul 12, 2016, 02:06 AM
How can you explain Origins RO? It's been running for years and it is a donation-free server?

About OriginsRO "just updated"..personally I don't consider removing // to enable an episode an update..All those features are hard coded onto rAthena and Hercules servers..all it takes its adding and removing // to enable or disable npcs/features. Unless the admin actually took the time to revert mob spawns, skill formulas, monsters and features back to the original state...which I doubt, but I can't comment since I have not played.

This topic is not really about OriginsRO so I think its unfair to keep on mentioning the server. (though at least its free advertising, so YW lol)

OriginsRO is an example of a donation free server and I was asked to explain how that is possible...so I tried.

I have the upmost respect for OriginsRO and by no means am I trying to say its a bad server. I'm basing all my opinions on their website and what I have heard about it.

Just doesn't seem fair to compare oRO's admin effort to the effort of thriving servers such as the top 3 all server listing on ratemyserver.

Bug

I didn't get the impression you were disrespecting them.
Haha yes, free advertising. I was thinking the same thing. Might as well...

Donations system =/= Thriving server population.
Obviously there are expenses that come with running a server that can maintain and accommodate a large number of players.
If you have the knowledge, these expenses can be reduced. If you already have the funds, you don't have to rely on donations.
Whether or not you want to be paid for your time, effort, skill, etc. is a matter of personal preference.

OP also wondered about players perspective toward donation systems.
Are they turned off by servers that don't feature donation systems? Subjective.
Would players rather be payers, because their too lazy, busy, or whatever? Subjective.
What's the majority consensus? Survey says...?

Quote from: EclipseToo on Jul 10, 2016, 04:02 PM
If a popular server were run the exact same way without donations, would it be as popular?
I reckon so. If you have the independent-funds/skills to provide everything that results in a popular server, and to maintain it.

EclipseToo

Quote from: Bug on Jul 12, 2016, 02:52 PM
I reckon so. If you have the independent-funds/skills to provide everything that results in a popular server, and to maintain it.

That's what I was getting at. It seemed there was a lot of gripe over donation systems, but perhaps not so much anymore. So as a server owner, there's really no reason not to have some form of donations since it can at least help cover some of the cost of running it. You'd just be hurting yourself by not having them since a donation-free server isn't going to draw in more players.

jacobo_bobo

Quote from: EclipseToo on Jul 12, 2016, 04:10 PM
That's what I was getting at. It seemed there was a lot of gripe over donation systems, but perhaps not so much anymore. So as a server owner, there's really no reason not to have some form of donations since it can at least help cover some of the cost of running it. You'd just be hurting yourself by not having them since a donation-free server isn't going to draw in more players.

Indeed.

I think as long as normal players can get the same treatment as donators and there is no bias on the server, they will not mind the donation system. The problem comes when donators get stronger items which take months for a non donator to obtain..but most will not mind a few days of hard work for a shiny donation item.

It would be silly for an admin to put 365-700(+++) hours a year of hard work into a server and on top of that have to give up enough money that would pay for 1-3 vacations.

Time and Money cost for running a server per year would be upwards of 10-15k dollars, considering the person could be putting those hours into an actual job instead of administrating a free server. So you can see why most servers have a donation system in place to pay for its own expenses. The admin is already putting in time and time is money.

Styx

I am with Haru here, I don't agree with all he does bring but for sure I could host this game for 10 years + without depending on funds, I do understand his principle. I don't agree for his unbalanced episode and unbalanced pre-renewal Hercules settings. Still he is running one of the best non-donations servers present

Styx

Quote from: jacobo_bobo on Jul 12, 2016, 04:30 PM
Indeed.

I think as long as normal players can get the same treatment as donators and there is no bias on the server, they will not mind the donation system. The problem comes when donators get stronger items which take months for a non donator to obtain..but most will not mind a few days of hard work for a shiny donation item.

It would be silly for an admin to put 365-700(+++) hours a year of hard work into a server and on top of that have to give up enough money that would pay for 1-3 vacations.

Time and Money cost for running a server per year would be upwards of 10-15k dollars, considering the person could be putting those hours into an actual job instead of administrating a free server. So you can see why most servers have a donation system in place to pay for its own expenses. The admin is already putting in time and time is money.

There shouldn't be too much space between donators, which are normal players BTW! There are many parasite players without funds who really should do something different with their lives.
As playing games instead to secure their own future and the future of their children instead.
They are all E-penis tragic competitors. Even Haru can't avoid them and he really should. What a relieve it would be to play Ro without these beggars.

Voryry

I don't understand why Origins RO isn't more populated. It's free and stable, and peaceful. The last point maybe is the problem, but it should be rectified if more people play there. Which goes back to the problem like a circle. I know a group of players who were looking for a new home. The leader rejected Origins RO because the biggest (and in reality, the only) WoE guild there is too rich, plus having GTB and such. It is not fair to take their privilege away, but it does stop others to start.

For me, I agree servers should be able to earn donation. It is a job, and they are entitled to payment. Just as long as it doesn't create too much gap.

I don't agree that ALL players have to pay. Those who don't pay do their part by simply being there. People have different situation in real life, some aren't financially solid, doesn't make them bad players in game. Even those who are "parasite without funds" could be good for the server, because they have plenty of time to farm & MPV, provides items and competition for others.

I myself, have always been donating everywhere at least for VIP and gym pass (except for Origins RO), and I don't mind paying server maintenance for others who don't.

Styx

Sure, no problem if a player doesn't have much funds and can play this game for free, I would donate for that if the gap wasn't overpowered.
Just a small boost from a VIP would be good enough for that, even with a cap. Just a steady monthly fee.
However I didn't have that casual player in mind regarding donations, This is about players who want to control the game and donations they don't need.

Origins didn't grow because they are stuck in an ancient 99/50 meta where only a good group could lvl reasonable and own the server, everything else is running around in circles without much important progress possible.
There are a lot of 99/50's sleeping, prepared and waiting for better times and a lot of below that waiting also because the lvling without Niffle and Magma party's is tedious and they made the gap regarding this kind of lvling even larger. So, yes I can understand a Guild leader does hesitate or skip to invest time on Origins, if you can't manage Niffle or Magma 24/7 it makes not much sense. And for sure there is a leading group who did exactly that before. The GTB shouldn't be the biggest problem as well as the problem that any other guild has a higher chance to die all from cancer before they ever find one themselves at 0,01 rate or any other MVP card.