Kiyoshiro

Whaaaat? Now it's VastRO?
I wonder who's next ._.;

Final

Quote from: Kiyoshiro on Apr 23, 2010, 06:15 PM
I wonder who's next ._.;
Someone is murdering all RO servers!!! Woooooo =D

Ah, fun times on RMS~ http://www.paste-it.net/private/u6c168b/   (Added more~)
-- Signature too big again.  You were notified previously on the same issue.

- So? Stop b****.

GorthexTiger

Quote from: Omi on Apr 23, 2010, 06:12 PM
just throwing this out there

cain didnt bother contacting his host at all (hi)

Then this just confirms the suspicions of the VastRO community that it was being used as a cashshop rather than a place for people to actual play on. Even if this isn't the case, the lack of trying from the staff, the apparent and "mysterious" hacker who took them down in 1 shot, makes it look worse than it actually is. It makes it look like a conspiracy just to shut down to earn cash. The 'account suspended' 404 doesn't help either: you don't get an account suspended 404 because you were hacked, you get an account suspended 404 because you didn't pay the bill.

Whatever the case may be, Vast is gone and we should move on.

Read about the "Great Dramas" Part 1, Part 2, & Part 3

Annihilate

hmm, btw, from a trusted source, i heard rumors that VastRO spent a lot in paying for their web designer, which is ironic given the current circumstances.

Hikusaak

Quote from: Annihilate on Apr 23, 2010, 08:12 PM
hmm, btw, from a trusted source, i heard rumors that VastRO spent a lot in paying for their web designer, which is ironic given the current circumstances.

Yeah I know that too.. some of the players on Vast are talking about it on a server they are currently playing on (High Rate) :(
"I'm going to rebel, look at me try to destroy the world."

LemonCrosswalk

Cupid

adhelle

lol at trusted rumour too...

But for what I also know it was expensive. I contacted the same webdesigner before them, but when he told me the price I thought wtf... So I didn't buy it. 2 weeks later Vast had their new website from him. I dont know if he charged the same though. If he did, that's hell yea expensive.  But I wouldn't call that ironic. Since many of Vast players are moving to Lumina I cannot say I'm unhappy Vast closed, that wolud be called being a hipocrit. However I don't think it's nice thing to come here and say that the money, time and effort that Royale spent was wasted on his server being closed is ironic. Also, he probably used donation money on it, and that's what donations are for, to be spent on server stuff. Funny it would be if he was getting more than enough money for it and still had the weird website they had when server was opened.

l2ue

Quote from: Final on Apr 23, 2010, 07:13 PM
I wonder who's next ._.;

Final, I bet it was you. Are you freelancing for Gravity!?

"The school of the undefeated East!"
"The winds of the king!"
"Look! The East is burning red!"

Final

Quote from: l2ue on Apr 24, 2010, 06:14 AM
Quote from: Final on Apr 23, 2010, 07:13 PM
I wonder who's next ._.;

Final, I bet it was you. Are you freelancing for Gravity!?
Gravity doesn't pay good enough for me.

Ah, fun times on RMS~ http://www.paste-it.net/private/u6c168b/   (Added more~)
-- Signature too big again.  You were notified previously on the same issue.

- So? Stop b****.

ilphithra

"Backup" of the server within the server itself?
Since my job is being a Network Admin in a major company, all I can say to this "backup" is: Epic Fail
Backups aren't made within the server, they're made on a proper backup machine, it doesn't even have to be a machine with huge specs, just something that you can plug-in, backup and plug out so that it isn't accessible from outside the "network". Hell, can even use an external HD for that if you're cash strapped.
Honestly, that wasn't a backup, it was an invitation to a disaster... the likes of which happened.
How to deal with an INTJ (excerpt):
- Don't expect them to respect you or your viewpoints just because you say so. INTJ respect must be earned.
- Do not be surprised at sarcasm.
- Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor.

Warning: Please don't read my posts if you are: easily offended, someone who can't take critics, someone who can't take sarcasm, someone who can't take bluntness, if you're too sensitive in general, if you fail at reading and comprehending text.

Revenant

Quote from: ilphithra on Apr 24, 2010, 09:45 AM
"Backup" of the server within the server itself?
Since my job is being a Network Admin in a major company, all I can say to this "backup" is: Epic Fail
Backups aren't made within the server, they're made on a proper backup machine, it doesn't even have to be a machine with huge specs, just something that you can plug-in, backup and plug out so that it isn't accessible from outside the "network". Hell, can even use an external HD for that if you're cash strapped.
Honestly, that wasn't a backup, it was an invitation to a disaster... the likes of which happened.

+1. Don't even need to be a network administrator to see how terrible of an idea that is.
For the love of god, people, stop posting topics about recruiting staff on this forum, or indeed any forum. If you really feel the need to publicize the fact you're incapable of running your own server, and as such, must rely on someone you know nothing about as a crutch, be prepared to deal with the consequences, as people who go deliberately looking for GM positions are most likely as dumb as the inept server owner in question, if not moreso.

People offering paid services may or may not be screwing you over, depending on the product. Web designers? There's quite a good few out there; many take time to do their work, and charge quite a bit as a result. Just be sure you're not getting someone elses' website, rebranded for quick cash. If you hire someone to do things such as install customs for you, give up running a server. You're wasting time and letting someone take advantage of your stupidity.

[1] [2] [3] [4]

DarkDevine

I usually let a bash script upload my backups to a FTP server of a neutral server I have, a webserver is enough here.
TotalRO - 10x/10x

GorthexTiger

Trusted source or not, if they wanted to pay $400 for a web-designer, then go for it. But if that's the case, why spend that much money and go down without a fight? Including the VastRO ads, Vanguard (another $300ish) and other crap.

You don't buy wine or chardonnay on a beer budget.
Read about the "Great Dramas" Part 1, Part 2, & Part 3

DeePee

$400 for a website is still peanuts IMO.