VastRO closed

Started by Nithalm, Apr 23, 2010, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nithalm

The last announcement of Cain, before he closed the website and forum.

QuoteIn this announcement I will give you the honest explanations of what has happened the last two days. We feel it is our responsibility to explain what has happened.
We regret that all of you who have supported us through the makings of VastRO have to be subject to this ending and the good period we've all had together.

As of yesterday I (Cain) was checking through the logs for possible infractions in the SQL. We have for a long time had problems with the V-coins and I found yet another person
with a lot of these V-coins. While checking through this account I found MVP cards and a load of them inside his inventory. Our first priority became to reset all passwords to
secure our databases. I summoned Royale in the middle of the night and started to go through the logs, checking GMs and pick logs. It didn't add up. After this and a long
GM conversation on MSN, I had to go to work. During this time the hacker deleted our logs which proved that he had SQL and/or game server access. A few hours ago after
a long conversation between Roy and me we agreed that they server is beyond saving.

As of 23 April 2010 VastRO will be closed and we are done with this chapter. We are sorry for everyone who has been hurt because of our decision and we know we have
the responsibility on our shoulders. We hope that your time here on VastRO have been to your liking, apart from this message.

Thank you all for playing here on VastRO, take care all of you,
Cain on behalf of VastRO GM-team

I personally do not approve how things went, but under the given circumstances, there rest us no other choice but to accept it.
This case of being hacked was appearently to much for Cain, as once he announced the server was going to close, he got lots of PM's, and not all
of them 'friendly'. Given Cain was also following university, and hosting the server ate to much of his time already, he decided to cut down website
and forum, as he cannot keep up spending this much time on the server, now the server was ruined anyway.

As said, i am not happy how things went, but as i have an 'admin' past myself, i can understand Cain his feeling in this.
I ask everyone to not judge him to harsh, and to remember the nice time we had in VastRO. To short,....but a nice time.
People can send me PM's here, if they have specific answers. I will try my best to answer them to the best of my ability.
I myself may eventually join another server, but for the coming time i will enjoy a small break from GM/mapping duty. :)

Kind regards,

Nithalm

DeePee

Well that was short.

DarkDevine

Did he give donation money back?
Else this is just another admin that had a server for a few months and drives into the dawn now, laughing in his new car.
TotalRO - 10x/10x

Nithalm

Cain stated he will not give donation money back. He invested in some hardware, but also in advertisement.
One of these advertisements is even on the 'home' page of ratemyserver.net. I believe those are not cheap.
Cain actually talked to me about it, that he barely got his investment back. He didn't had the chance to start earning.(but i think he was close to it...)

Well, about donations, i cannot help you. Still a shame, it is why 'private servers' have a bad name. But doing a 'donation' is always a risk...

Shinn

Does eA have some kind of major hole that no one is seeing? I mean how are these SQL log alters happening? It can not be due to the lack of safe-guarding password..I mean by the looks of it the admin of VastRO seemed like he/she knew they were doing well. Did they have a cpnale? if so which one? if not it has to do with something in eA the devs are not aware off.

Cheers.

P.S to me it looked like vastRO had potential..too bad :S

cause after all the drama, I still slain em.

Need a site done? contact me.

Omi

eh, cains just s*** considering im the one who found and exploited the v-coin script the most

there isnt any way you can access the server logs by enjecting get commands into a script.

like, really.

really.

really.

DeePee

The scripts on VastRO were pretty bad, from what I saw, at least.

Went to the newbie grounds, talked to the NPC called "Greeter" and clicked the option to go to Prontera. It decided to bork and said that @go was not allowed on that map. So first off, how does one not notice a bug like that and secondly, why the hell are they using @go to warp someone to a different map?

It might be a small example, but seeing something like the above happen on such a big server really makes you wonder about the quality. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if there was just some kind of exploit caused by incompetence of the scripters, be it ingame or through the website.

DarkDevine

Quote from: Nithalm on Apr 23, 2010, 11:20 AM
Cain stated he will not give donation money back. He invested in some hardware, but also in advertisement.
One of these advertisements is even on the 'home' page of ratemyserver.net. I believe those are not cheap.
Cain actually talked to me about it, that he barely got his investment back. He didn't had the chance to start earning.(but i think he was close to it...)

Well, about donations, i cannot help you. Still a shame, it is why 'private servers' have a bad name. But doing a 'donation' is always a risk...

I don't believe that the high amount of money of a good populated and donated server went into ads and server hardware only.
TotalRO - 10x/10x

rj

Quote from: DarkDevine on Apr 23, 2010, 12:05 PM
I don't believe that the high amount of money of a good populated and donated server went into ads and server hardware only.
Well, we couldn't answer much about the donations. We only know that it went to go for hardware's expenses, advertisement (RMS / Top Site's Banner which costs alot), Server Website Theme(Costs a lot), Vanguard, etc.

It was just unexpected, and yes we HAD a lot of plans on how can we make VastRO better, until the other day wherein we got hacked...

Shinn

Dude get over it, they are called donations. Do you ever donate to a charity..and go ask for it back? no. If you donated intending to get your money then you should have never donated to begin with.

Cheers

cause after all the drama, I still slain em.

Need a site done? contact me.

DarkDevine

Quote from: Shinn on Apr 23, 2010, 12:58 PM

Dude get over it, they are called donations. Do you ever donate to a charity..and go ask for it back? no. If you donated intending to get your money then you should have never donated to begin with.

Cheers
Actually it's "Cash Shop" that has "Donation" written over it to cover the real intention of it
TotalRO - 10x/10x

GorthexTiger

Looks like FlangRO gets to keep their copy of a poorly stolen website :\

RIP VastRO
Read about the "Great Dramas" Part 1, Part 2, & Part 3

Betrayed

Bummer, was really starting to have fun there.

Descent

Oh dear. Whatever happened to backups?! Surely you could at least restore it to a point before everything went to shit and fix your issues.
To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

rj

Quote from: Descent on Apr 23, 2010, 02:49 PM
Oh dear. Whatever happened to backups?! Surely you could at least restore it to a point before everything went to shit and fix your issues.
Thing is, our backups are inside the server files and the HACKER deleted everything and restored it like 10 days before. ;D