Uh, hello. This is going nowhere.

Started by Anti-Static Foam Cleaner, Jun 10, 2008, 02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

I don't feel like making a proper rant, besides, somebody already did that at rochan(Warning: Creative use of expletives). So I'm just going to try and use logic on you. Engage flux capacitors, server owners.
Why are the new servers all the same? It's almost as if there was a perl script generating one every week.

There are next to no new RO players whatseover. The playerbase is either constant, or actually decreasing. Do you really think that making another 10x dual/jubchange/warp server is a good idea? Sometimes I think that the only difference between them are custom headgears.

Warning, metaphor incoming.

Imagine all the RO servers as a fruit marketplace, RO players as people who like one or another type of fruit, and buying the fruit as playing on a server. Some of them like apples, some oranges. The current state of this marketplace is, eighty percent of stands sell oranges, fifteen percent apples, and five percent anise candy(That's MouRO ;)). Do you really think that making an orange stand will bring you profit(players)? I mean, it doesn't take an economist to know that you should do business where there isn't any, not where there is heavy competition.

And then they wonder why they have no players.

~~T~~

Epic Rant, thanks Doddler didn't deleted it, this should be delivered for all RO Servers starters.

Rehael

Lame rant, all i saw was a bunch of misplaced vulgar words. :(
The Greatest Server is in preparation phase : http://valiantro.com
Setting the standard so high the other servers will look like noob stuff. ;)

mark_sanbeda

OMG!?!?  :o i laughed so hard with all his vulgar speech BTW!?! my eyes are opened now  :o <see?

Helrouis

Quote from: Anti-Static Foam Cleaner on Jun 10, 2008, 02:13 AM
I don't feel like making a proper rant, besides, somebody already did that at rochan(Warning: Creative use of expletives). So I'm just going to try and use logic on you. Engage flux capacitors, server owners.
Why are the new servers all the same? It's almost as if there was a perl script generating one every week.

There are next to no new RO players whatseover. The playerbase is either constant, or actually decreasing. Do you really think that making another 10x dual/jubchange/warp server is a good idea? Sometimes I think that the only difference between them are custom headgears.

Imagine all the RO servers as a fruit marketplace, RO players as people who like one or another type of fruit, and buying the fruit as playing on a server. Some of them like apples, some oranges. The current state of this marketplace is, eighty percent of stands sell oranges, fifteen percent apples, and five percent anise candy(That's MouRO ;)). Do you really think that making an orange stand will bring you profit(players)? I mean, it doesn't take an economist to know that you should do business where there isn't any, not where there is heavy competition.

Warning : Sarcasm incoming:
Speak for yourself

Ansuz Isaz

I'll be honest, based on his rant, that I disagree, just because I play RO private servers to find something truly different. =P All the same, I understand what you meant by the fruit metaphor, and I've got to agree with it. Too many new servers pop up, that are so exactly like two or three other servers in exactness, and then similar to about fifty other ones, it gets old. >>;

Honestly, most of these are simply RO with more perks. o.o; I, admittedly, have grown lazy and prefer semi-higher rates, but I still think everyone's still spoiled.

I understand where the curse-happy ranter was going with it to some lesser extent - too many NPCs that spoil people to death, and these "custom" items can be pretty pathetic.

I also agree with you, as almost all of the private servers have the same perks, same "custom" quests, and so on. Next to none of them are really unique anymore. D=

[ Stealing your metaphor... xD ]

I wanna see more anise candies. T__T There are barely enough in the market for me to buy one or two after having a particularly over-ripe and tart orange-filled meal.

Pandora

I think he would have gotten his point across much better without so much swearing, but just by exposing his argument in a calm manner.

I agree there are too many clones out there, and his comments on balance are valid.

Yet, not that many people like unique servers, just look at MouRO, it's awesome, everyone agrees on that fact but it doesn't have nearly as much player as it should considering how unique it is.

It's arguable, but I think I do an ok job at making my server unique and balanced, yet many people prefer to play a generic "we dont give a rat's donkey about you, just give us donation $$$ for our uber custom wings or LKH".
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

bulbasteve

The nature of the game being pirated is already a huge strike against the originality of servers, not just in terms of the ease in making it but in terms of what people are looking for. I am not even sure if half the people who play a pserver even know what is possible.

But that is still a bit too naive, I mean heck I used to play on byond (whaa!) and regardless of what the potential for games were or how many neat original online games were made it always came down to people making bad RPG Maker games with sprites from the latest big anime.

Course to use the analogy, you really can't eat candy everyday I guess...which I'm sure is part of the reason why the server was made casual...but then people seem to be in RO to waste away 10 hours at a time, not to eat a bit of candy then I don't know...go watch a movie.

Brainstorm

QuoteI don't feel like making a proper rant, besides, somebody already did that at rochan(Warning: Creative use of expletives). So I'm just going to try and use logic on you. Engage flux capacitors, server owners.

Its right on about everything, except on the fruit metaphor.
There are more servers like mouRO, and these are the ones with lowest player base, even being years old (how many players mouRO got right now?).
I have made uber-customized servers that balanced all the flaws in the game, added a ton of unique features, and in the end, 5 people played on it as serious. <= This is the scenario of the candy servers.

My server is pretty much unique, without touching much of original gameplay, no spoiling npcs, close to official rates. And still, it has about no population.

QuoteIt's arguable, but I think I do an ok job at making my server unique and balanced, yet many people prefer to play a generic "we dont give a rat's donkey about you, just give us donation $$$ for our uber custom wings or LKH".
This is actually 100% correct, like it or not.
People rather play on the crappy and COMMON "one-click-server" hosted at home, than playing on a dedicated server with people that know how to get things done.
Holy s***, let's take Doddler, he's a Touhoufag which means he's the worst kind of already worthless social group of wapafags, in fact it probably makes him worse than furfags. But do you see animu on his site(s)? No, because it's a site about Ragnarok f*** Online, not Angelfire's Let Me Tell You About My Hobby.
Holy god, took me about 15 minutes to stop laughing.

~~T~~

I can't live only off cadies.  :'( Also brainstorm, is there more customs servers like Mou?
Sure, I might go back there, but I want to try something new.
I remember a really old server that skills went to 15 or more, it was with a lot of customizations, but I was too dumb(DURR) to join forums or the iRC, so when it crashed, I quit it and never found it again.
Spoiler
Quoteso you think Inuyasha is f***** cool and you made a Ninja called Naruto. That's nice(Actually it's quite f*** horrid and I wish you will lose your legs and will have to suck a **** for a buck in a black alley off a STD'd hobos for the rest of your worthless life)
[close]

bulbasteve

Hmm, well if that is a bad analogy here is another one:

These servers are the generic pop music of the RO world. Most are content to just put up pretty pages with some anime characters for marketing, use a simple install and throw a ton of cash at advertising hoping to cast the widest net possible and hope a lot of idiots who don't know what they are doing (and have no taste naturally!) inflate their numbers.

Some generic servers try to set themselves apart by trying to hit up upon the newest trend and be on the bleeding edge, these are the servers that a couple of years ago had their annoucments be "we have fully working hums!" and well...today that is still what they have and noone cares anymore. These are the Macarena's of RO, they try to get ahead of some trend but the real deal (official RO) is better and they tend to burn out fast and become a footnote in history.

Of course there are the indy rockers like MouRO who struggle to make the best work possible but never quite get any success. Maybe because they take so much time to work on their music that they never think of telling people about it (make websites), or are so picky they don't quite know how to sell themselves (if not literally say "meh, it may not be for you" like skot always does). Of course everyone also steals their hard work without people ever giving em credit (eathena...hey screw open source!)

Then of course their is Brainstorm the total former indy sellout rocker who try to blend the revolutionary with the safe with varying degrees of artistic success :p (I hope you can tell I am kidding this time and don't tear me a new one like the last time!).

Or you can be the Beatles and Skot can be Mozart if you want a nice analogy, I kinda got lost after pop music :p

~~T~~

We also need more people active at ROChan, shame that it's a lame bbs without image posting or anonimity(as for samefags).
Well, what can I do? Doddler won't change it, :(

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

rochan does have image boards...

yC

the point is, no one will listen.  your rant is not the first non the last that will end this problem.

i can estimate 1 in 10 ro players out there have that "ro server dream".  they have to open their server, fail miserably then learn it's not their business.  Or some have to open a few before they realize.  but maybe 1 in 50 will work hard, learn hard and become successful.  don't forget the now big servers were once small servers.

Brainstorm

Quotethe point is, no one will listen.  your rant is not the first non the last that will end this problem.

i can estimate 1 in 10 ro players out there have that "ro server dream".  they have to open their server, fail miserably then learn it's not their business.  Or some have to open a few before they realize.  but maybe 1 in 50 will work hard, learn hard and become successful.  don't forget the now big servers were once small servers.
Dont forget aswell that 90% of big servers are owned by completely inept admins.

Meaning: The owner skills/knowledge doesnt matter, what people want are numbers (amount of people connected).