TravelsRO. A great concept with awful execution and a worse owner.

Started by Nova, Dec 08, 2020, 04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nova

I've been following this server weeks before it launched to now a couple months into the opening on it's discord group and ingame.

https://www.ragnaroktravels.com/

What TravelsRO is:
- 1x rates.
- No multi-Clienting.
- 1 Account per player. (Need to register with your phone number. This is to prevent multiclienting)
- Classic client (Started from episode 5.5)
- No player commands.
- No donations (until today, read further)
- No autoloot.

Seems pretty good for players like me who want a classic experience without multi-clienting. But it's just not.

Opening and how it went:

We all know how important a good opening is for a RO server, but the opening of TravelsRO was just really bad. The opening was delayed 2 times for several weeks in total. Then when the server finally launched, we were left with a lot of downtime. Rollbacks. No patcher. Bare bones website where all you could do was register an account. Many many client issues such as resolution errors, white screens, and crashes to the point where a lot of people had issues even getting into the game at all. A custom-made anti-bot/multiclient shield that you had to manually open before opening the actual client. This along with all the other things and errors, made it a big hassle for players to start playing. TravelsRO has no forum and instead uses discord. The support section was more active than the general section and that went on for a while.

The support section was flooded with these types of messages.

The state of the server itself:

There is a client delay to everything. From walking, movement, to attacking, to firewalling mobs. It all feels clunky compared to other servers.
Spoiler
[close]
Gutterlines are in.
Many many bugs. Some fixed. Some not. Some work as intended (feature). You can read the discord history to see for yourself.
Small playerbase of about 30-40 people at peak hours. This could have been way higher if not for the "difficulty" of even getting the server to work.
Patcher along with semi-automated bot-shield was added roughly 3-4 months since the opening. It's simple, but good enough.
Downtime.
Party share doesn't work, barely works and works exactly as intended. Yes. If you are in a public party with party share on and you happen to pick up an item, there is a roughly 90% chance that the loot you pick up goes directly to you. This causes the players to have to split loot evenly at the end of the party if they want a fair share of the loot. Ofcourse, many complaints were directed to the admin and we got as response:

Fair enough on that one. Although it would have been nice if he had already changed that before the opening, because players had to deal with this since day one. It's been nearly 4 months since the opening and no update on that yet.

Donations:
https://www.ragnaroktravels.com/support
Spoiler
[close]
How could you ask players for $30 for a couple dyes, a few quality of life things and a future full database that isn't even available yet? Nor do we have any info on when it would come. We can already manually check sites such as RMS and IRO Database for approximate locations and spawns. With a server still full of bugs and bad delay for players far away from the server host location, it's just not done. When that was posted today in TravelsRO discord, my jaw dropped. The quality of TravelsRO server does not deserve donations like that at all (in my opinion).

I wrote in their general discord that $30 is far too much for what we are getting and said that I would be willing to pay $5-10 if everything worked correctly and if we would get proxies for different parts of the world, so that our ping is better. My comments were removed and this is the response I got from the server admin in the general chat:

Which is pretty disgusting to say the least, because like he said, all I did was complain about the price. This admin bans people and removes comments for criticism faster than I've seen on any server throughout the years and that is saying something. Him removing my comment and censoring the discussion prompted me to write this review. I was willing to bear with all the negatives, because I like the core aspects of the server. But not with that kind of person at the wheel.

Final Thoughts

Despite all the other issues I've already mentioned and all the ones that I haven't, the most important issue with this server is it's owner. It's his attitude towards other servers, his attitude towards criticism from his playerbase (mostly valid) and just the weird arrogance that he has. Banning players from discord for criticizing his stance on server issues or removing comments. I'll show you some screenies so you can see for yourself or you can go have a look at TravelsRO website/discord.

Spoiler
[close]
^This was the homepage for weeks before the launch and for a couple days after the launch. It's not that I disagree with most of what he writes here, but you can't write things like that and then release your server in the state it was in for months.

Spoiler

< This person has (as far as I know) helped a lot in getting the server off the ground.

[close]

There is a lot more, but I honestly can't be bothered to look them all up. "Lord J" is the admin of TravelsRO and as far as I know, he is the only person working on the server. I think this person probably has the right intentions. A server that is as classic as possible without multi-clienting that will be up for years. But from what I've seen over these 4 months, he seems to lack the skills to provide his playerbase with a good-running server. I am even questioning his common sense. If he has been playing for as long he has, you know you need to do certain things. You need to prepare correctly and make sure that most, if not everything is running as it's supposed to be. There have been hundreds and maybe thousands of servers you could have looked at and learned from.

I am pretty sure that he copied the entire TravelsRO client from another server called; "KokoRO" https://cp.kokotewa.com/, https://ratemyserver.net/index.php?page=detailedlistserver&serid=20839&itv=6&url_sname=Koko%20RO. That server has the same bugs, the same client issues and the same feel. Coincidentally I've also very shortly played on that server and was also in KokoRO's small Discord channel. Lord J and Savyon, his helper were also in there. This could be pure coincidence of course, but I think I'm spot on. Why else would you launch your server in the state that it was in and have it run like that for so long? When you want to talk the talk, you need to walk the walk. And Lord J failed in that. That's also one of the reasons why I'm writing all of this.

Funnily enough, this thread was actually pretty accurate: https://forum.ratemyserver.net/rant-and-rave/journeyro-is-over-before-it-even-begins/.
That thread was posted before the server even opened and even though the OP was exaggerating, he was right in some aspects. I even posted in that thread saying that OP would have slapped his own face if the server was to be successfull. I guess I slapped my own instead. In the end though, the server might be successfull if it keeps going long enough, since it's one of the only servers of its kind. But there are already frictions when it comes to certain MVP mechanics and things of that nature. With a bigger population all of these things will blow up if not handled correctly and with Lord J deciding over these things... Well you know my opinion on that.

Spoiler
The reviews for TravelsRO are also ridiculous (as are most server reviews to be fair). There were people who gave it 95+ in the first several weeks which is ofcourse only done to attract more people by loyal players. The fact that it has a 78/100 average rating as a niche lowrate should be very telling.
[close]

I am not associated with NovaRO.

Imperial Regalia

Hi Nova/Atroce,

I understand that you're upset, but your messages on Discord were moderated for repeatedly breaking rules. Donations are voluntary, give no advantages, and ultimately it is childish and entitled for you to complain about what completely optional donations are set to. Just as it is equally childish for you to write a retaliatory review full of misleading information (there is no client delay, and we have some of the best network performance in the world) and manipulatively selected clips of conversations. Also, it is worth noting that almost every negative review we have on RMS is someone who was banned for multi-clienting/3rd party software. I'm quite proud of that.

Thank you for the free advertising.

Nova

Quote from: Imperial Regalia on Dec 08, 2020, 04:39 PM
Hi Nova/Atroce,

I understand that you're upset, but your messages on Discord were moderated for repeatedly breaking rules. Donations are voluntary, give no advantages, and ultimately it is childish and entitled for you to complain about what completely optional donations are set to. Just as it is equally childish for you to write a retaliatory review full of misleading information (there is no client delay, and we have some of the best network performance in the world) and manipulatively selected clips of conversations. Also, it is worth noting that almost every negative review we have on RMS is someone who was banned for multi-clienting/3rd party software. I'm quite proud of that.

Thank you for the free advertising.
I am most certainly upset that you "Lord J" removed my comments about the pricing of your donations. They were not rude in any way and were purely made for discussion sake. There were quite a few people who agreed with my points. Fortunately for me, I can speak my mind and give honest reviews about your server here without them being removed by you. If you had simply provided me with a normal, civil response about your donations I wouldn't have come here to give an honest review no matter how negative it may seem. The great thing about free forums is that people can simply download your client, visit your website and hop into your discord server and see for themselves how it really is. And I can assure you that it is exactly as I say. I have played on your server for many weeks after all.

Lastly I know that you said in the discord after I left that you are happy with free advertisement such as this. You aren't happy about this at all, because I am not some jabbering guy writing false negatives about you. Else, you wouldn't have come here to claim that I am lying, which again I am clearly not as is very easy to verify by anyone. You shouldn't treat your players like this and especially not with the kind of server you have.

Edit# Let this be a lesson for you to in the future stop censoring people who simply want your server to succeed by providing valid criticism. They play on your server, because they enjoy it. Not because they want to bring you down. I am also pretty sure you caused quite a few people to leave, exactly because you censored them or because they saw you censor others. And with a small population/community that is a bad idea.

Playtester

I saw this server on RMS a while ago and the basic idea sounded really good to me. 1x rates, no dual-clienting, trying to be as close to official as possible. A successful server with these specs would definitely make me come back to RO.

But the website seemed strange to me. No detailed server informatio or online count, instead long texts about how other private servers are not official enough (without any concrete details on what this server does different). Very pages just have cryptic information like a counter to a super secret update that says "Just what is the BF update? What indeed...".

Also that sentence: "We are often asked why we chose to emulate official mechanics when rAthena and Hercules (*cough* TalonRO OriginsRO *cough*) are much easier to deal with."
This seems strange, because at least rAthena (arguably also Herc, just didn't have enough manpower and different priorities to keep up with the official emulation) is a projects that chose to emulate official mechanics. How can a single person write an emulator that's closer to official than an emulator project that was worked on for 10+ years by multiple developers that all strived to keep everything 100% equal to official servers.
In my opinion the only thing you can chose that's closer to official than rAthena would be choosing to use Aegis.

And if you really have the mindset that you want 100% official and think rAthena still has some differences (it has), then why not just join the project and fix these things. That alone is really hard to do (after all there's a reason why some things weren't fixed yet). Writing an emulator from scratch is bound to fail unless you can hire 100 developers working for you.

Unfortunately I also had no ability to access any server database or specs, as a developer I'd be really curious what they are using as solution. Or even just what their monster database is to compare if the values are really official for that episode (information really hard to find online these days). If I click on "Rune Midgard Library" I'm forced to login, unfortunately the website doesn't allow me to register, when I try it just says "Please contact support", so I couldn't really dig deeper into and also kind of lost motivation when even the registration process already didn't run smoothly.

But still the server idea is great, I would want to make such a server too to be honest, but I know enough about RO emulation to be aware that a single person never could handle such a project. I couldn't.

Imperial Regalia

Quote from: Playtester on Dec 08, 2020, 06:23 PMBut the website seemed strange to me. No detailed server informatio or online count, instead long texts about how other private servers are not official enough (without any concrete details on what this server does different). Very pages just have cryptic information like a counter to a super secret update that says "Just what is the BF update? What indeed...".
World info and FAQ have detailed server information. Where we differ from rAthena is in accuracy of mechanics. Notable examples are traps, MVP AI, interactions between ruwatch and hide, firewall, stun locks, and so on. I could list them all, but this concerns every single mechanic in the game.

Quote from: Playtester on Dec 08, 2020, 06:23 PMAlso that sentence: "We are often asked why we chose to emulate official mechanics when rAthena and Hercules (*cough* TalonRO OriginsRO *cough*) are much easier to deal with."
This seems strange, because at least rAthena (arguably also Herc, just didn't have enough manpower and different priorities to keep up with the official emulation) is a projects that chose to emulate official mechanics. How can a single person write an emulator that's closer to official than an emulator project that was worked on for 10+ years by multiple developers that all strived to keep everything 100% equal to official servers.
In my opinion the only thing you can chose that's closer to official than rAthena would be choosing to use Aegis. And if you really have the mindset that you want 100% official and think rAthena still has some differences (it has), then why not just join the project and fix these things.
That would be nice, but it may not be possible without a lot of reengineering. And now it seems only focused on renewal, which further complicates things. If I had to guess, eAthena back in the day was more accurate than rAthena is now. When I was deciding if I would use rAthena for Ragnarok Travels or not, I encountered pre-renewal bugs that were introduced in renewal-era commits.

I actually do recognize you, by the way. I used to follow the eAthena commit logs from time to time. The developers on the project were extremely talented back then. There was you, ultramage or something to that effect, l0newolf, flaviojs, and some other guys.

Nova

Quote from: Playtester on Dec 08, 2020, 06:23 PM
Spoiler
I saw this server on RMS a while ago and the basic idea sounded really good to me. 1x rates, no dual-clienting, trying to be as close to official as possible. A successful server with these specs would definitely make me come back to RO.

But the website seemed strange to me. No detailed server informatio or online count, instead long texts about how other private servers are not official enough (without any concrete details on what this server does different). Very pages just have cryptic information like a counter to a super secret update that says "Just what is the BF update? What indeed...".

Also that sentence: "We are often asked why we chose to emulate official mechanics when rAthena and Hercules (*cough* TalonRO OriginsRO *cough*) are much easier to deal with."
In my opinion the only thing you can chose that's closer to official than rAthena would be choosing to use Aegis.

And if you really have the mindset that you want 100% official and think rAthena still has some differences (it has), then why not just join the project and fix these things. That alone is really hard to do (after all there's a reason why some things weren't fixed yet). Writing an emulator from scratch is bound to fail unless you can hire 100 developers working for you.

Unfortunately I also had no ability to access any server database or specs, as a developer I'd be really curious what they are using as solution. Or even just what their monster database is to compare if the values are really official for that episode (information really hard to find online these days). If I click on "Rune Midgard Library" I'm forced to login, unfortunately the website doesn't allow me to register, when I try it just says "Please contact support", so I couldn't really dig deeper into and also kind of lost motivation when even the registration process already didn't run smoothly.

But still the server idea is great, I would want to make such a server too to be honest, but I know enough about RO emulation to be aware that a single person never could handle such a project. I couldn't.
[close]

When you click the Rune Midgard Library link you get this:

The Dashboard and Account section show your Username with some nice pictures and text and that's about it. There's no option to change anything or do anything except for looking up monster and item info. Some of the info in the database is wrong, but probably only a very small % of it. It would have been nice to have a complete database with a world map and monster spawns included. I thought that was coming and perhaps even with the BF update only to read today that we would need to pay $30 for that and it would only come in the future.

That's actually what I'm most annoyed about. Why did you plan to put a complete database behind a $30 paywall? That's not a small amount of money. I live in Europe so it's favourable for me, but in other countries that $30 is a lot. In other servers they provide that to the players for free. And money wouldn't even have been a problem, because most players are well into their twenties and would pitch in $5 or even $10 a month without a problem for more dyes and whatnot for a server like this, including myself. I talked to other players in private about this and they feel the same way so you should consider changing that. We could have had this exact conversation in discord if you didn't go out of your way to censor me instantly.

Playtester

Quote from: Imperial Regalia on Dec 08, 2020, 08:42 PM
World info and FAQ have detailed server information.
Those are only one-page texts, I don't really see any details there.

QuoteWhere we differ from rAthena is in accuracy of mechanics. Notable examples are traps, MVP AI, interactions between ruwatch and hide, firewall, stun locks, and so on. I could list them all, but this concerns every single mechanic in the game.
I'd be interested what you think is wrong about traps, MVP AI, interactions between ruwach and hide, firewall and stun locks in rAthena. Haven't heard any reports on any of those before (well traps obviously worked different in older episodes and I know the delay between being hit and receiving the status change is not 100% official for all skills yet either, but other than that...).

It's nothing you should explain in detail to me here, but it's something I wish you'd have put in detail on your website. That would be a lot more convincing for people to join (if registration worked).

QuoteThat would be nice, but it may not be possible without a lot of reengineering. And now it seems only focused on renewal, which further complicates things. If I had to guess, eAthena back in the day was more accurate than rAthena is now.
I doubt that because I fixed ALOT of things on rAthena for pre-renewal in the years I was active there. Most notably for example fixing how Magnetic Earth (Land Protector) works, Icewall, Monster level 10 skills, waterball / jupitel, implementing official status change resist formulas, etc.

eAthena is of course lacking all these fixes (Herc also to a large extend; when Michiru was still active on there he copied my fixes to Herc, but unfortunately he left and ever since then Herc had this "Show proof or we won't fix it" attitude and even if I showed proof they still didn't fix it, so I gave up on that; honestly wish Herc team would just join with the rAthena team again; the people that fought that caused the split aren't even active anymore).

QuoteWhen I was deciding if I would use rAthena for Ragnarok Travels or not, I encountered pre-renewal bugs that were introduced in renewal-era commits.
That's true though, I had this problem all the time. I fixed up everything for pre-re, then there was a renewal commit that broke pre-re behavior, it was quite annoying, but nothing you can't re-fix again. I simply didn't have the energy to do it myself, especially since I'm fighting with health issues for a few years now.

I actually assume that the most close-to-official pre-renewal emulator is rAthena exactly at the state when I left working on it, which was May 2017, according to this: https://github.com/rathena/rathena/search?q=author%3APlaytester&type=commits

QuoteI actually do recognize you, by the way. I used to follow the eAthena commit logs from time to time. The developers on the project were extremely talented back then. There was you, ultramage or something to that effect, l0newolf, flaviojs, and some other guys.
Don't forget Skotlex.

Nairanduo

Nova. I don't blame you for defending them. If I saw a promising server I would've defended them too. Especially seeing that they were rather "new" faces compared to some of the more well-known people on RMS/server makers.

I understand that my thread looked absolutely hilarious considering the server didn't even launch yet, as you pointed out. However; seeing Lord J, Savvy, Distilled on KokoRO and other servers, with them talking about how they're going to revolutionize Ragnarok Online while simultaneously giving the servers they stayed on a lot of flak(but didn't know how to fix their own criticisms despite bragging about being able to do so) then give their playerbase crap this early in development is largely the reason why I made that thread. A lot of people were pissed over this "knucklehead" behavior. A lot of them saw this coming even without my input.

There is one owner. However, the reason I said that Savy-on and Distilled are also admins(or Co-Host, if you will) is because they both tend to spam the owners with plentiful ideas of what their ideal RO features are. And they never stop bothering them either. Savy-on in particular loooooves to input feedback until people do as he say or he complains excessively about them. Distilled likes to think he is a big part of this failed revolution when he's not. These 3 are close buddies together as well. They cannot take criticism. Anything that is not positive is seen as a immediate attack. Everything that is not poise elegancy with sunshine and red flowers is assumed bad and must be ignored effective immediately. Everything you do is bad. You get the point. (Not saying if you spam someone then you are automatically an admin, but these 2 are kind of an exception)

Now you've seen it for yourself and all I have to say is: I'm sorry you had this kind of experience on Ragnarok Online. I do not hold anything against you. In fact I am glad you took the time to respond even if we weren't always on the best terms with each other. Wishing you and everyone on RMS a happy holiday and a great new year.

distilled1

Quote from: Nairanduo on Dec 09, 2020, 11:10 PM
Nova. I don't blame you for defending them. If I saw a promising server I would've defended them too. Especially seeing that they were rather "new" faces compared to some of the more well-known people on RMS/server makers.

I understand that my thread looked absolutely hilarious considering the server didn't even launch yet, as you pointed out. However; seeing Lord J, Savvy, Distilled on KokoRO and other servers, with them talking about how they're going to revolutionize Ragnarok Online while simultaneously giving the servers they stayed on a lot of flak(but didn't know how to fix their own criticisms despite bragging about being able to do so) then give their playerbase crap this early in development is largely the reason why I made that thread. A lot of people were pissed over this "knucklehead" behavior. A lot of them saw this coming even without my input.

There is one owner. However, the reason I said that Savy-on and Distilled are also admins(or Co-Host, if you will) is because they both tend to spam the owners with plentiful ideas of what their ideal RO features are. And they never stop bothering them either. Savy-on in particular loooooves to input feedback until people do as he say or he complains excessively about them. Distilled likes to think he is a big part of this failed revolution when he's not. These 3 are close buddies together as well. They cannot take criticism. Anything that is not positive is seen as a immediate attack. Everything that is not poise elegancy with sunshine and red flowers is assumed bad and must be ignored effective immediately. Everything you do is bad. You get the point. (Not saying if you spam someone then you are automatically an admin, but these 2 are kind of an exception)

Now you've seen it for yourself and all I have to say is: I'm sorry you had this kind of experience on Ragnarok Online. I do not hold anything against you. In fact I am glad you took the time to respond even if we weren't always on the best terms with each other. Wishing you and everyone on RMS a happy holiday and a great new year.

Hey it's that guy who assumes and makes things up as he goes along, and later looks like a complete embarrassment when proven wrong.
How you doing there, buddy?
Let me take a page out of your book.
*AHEM*
Nairanduo likes to play Ragnarok Online while passing gas into a tube which is attached to his nostrils. He believes this to give him "super saiyan" powers.

Seriously though. You have the biggest grudge against me I've ever seen anyone have. You can't stand how I made you come off in that embarrassing thread of yours, is that it? Well you mostly embarrassed yourself there. I didn't have to do much so you can let go of your pathetic grudge.

Let's stop pulling things out of our butts here.
1) I never "stayed" on KokoRO as you claim. Maybe Savyon did, but I didn't. I tried it for one or two days, YEARS ago, and it just so happens that Savyon played on there as well so the two of us had a discussion about it on discord. Did our conversation about KokoRO hurt your feelings or something?

2) Whatever "revolution" you think I'm trying to be apart of is entirely your own bizarre fantasy. I'm not part of anything Ragnarok Revolution. I was just excited for Ragnarok Travels, and I still think it's a great server. The reason being is it's one of the few hosted in North America which combats multi-clienting, and has no pay to win aspects. I think those are rare and ideal traits to have for a healthy MMORPG.

3) I'm not "close buddies" with Savyon OR Lord J. In fact, I barely know them at all. I spoke to them plenty of times on discord when Ragnarok Travels started out, but shortly after, I began trying to join the military more seriously, and still am working on that. I hardly have time to play anything nowadays, let alone RO (which is not my first pick by the way. I'd rather be playing Neverwinter Nights) and I know nearly nothing about what's going on with Ragnarok Travels lately.

4) I can take criticism, just not false accusations which you happen to make a lot.

5) I'm female.

Merry Christmas to you too, and enjoy the smell of your own farts, my friend.
DOWN WITH MULTI-CLIENTING!

Imperial Regalia

I hope this thread stays bumped. We've gotten about 10 donations since my last post here.

Quote from: Nova on Dec 08, 2020, 09:26 PMWe could have had this exact conversation in discord if you didn't go out of your way to censor me instantly.
Quote from: Nova on Dec 08, 2020, 09:26 PMLet this be a lesson for you to..
Quote from: Nova on Dec 08, 2020, 09:26 PM
I am most certainly upset that you "Lord J" removed my comments about the pricing of your donations.

You are a gigantic baby and I am not interested in conversation with you. If that were the case you would have sent a PM with your concerns like an adult instead of trying to rudely crap up a Discord channel in the most entitled way you could muster. I've stopped acknowledging you because no one cares about what you're saying — it is transparently obvious to everyone that you are not here to review the server, but rather are trying to get revenge because you were moderated for very obvious violations of our rules. This kind of retalitory agenda pushing is not new to me; I have an entire graveyard of people who have been caught attempting to cheat, who then suddenly pick up the pen. "You deleted MY messages! I'll show you!!" is essentially your argument, and not surprisingly, the kind of person who would behave this way is the same kind of person who would complain about optional donations on a free service being too high.

Nova

Quote from: Nairanduo on Dec 09, 2020, 11:10 PM

I don't agree with that. Maybe you've had different experiences with them, but from my interactions with Distilled and Savyon, I think they are nice and helpful people.

Quote from: Imperial Regalia on Dec 10, 2020, 01:40 AM
I hope this thread stays bumped. We've gotten about 10 donations since my last post here.

You are a gigantic baby and I am not interested in conversation with you. If that were the case you would have sent a PM with your concerns like an adult instead of trying to rudely crap up a Discord channel in the most entitled way you could muster. I've stopped acknowledging you because no one cares about what you're saying — it is transparently obvious to everyone that you are not here to review the server, but rather are trying to get revenge because you were moderated for very obvious violations of our rules. This kind of retalitory agenda pushing is not new to me; I have an entire graveyard of people who have been caught attempting to cheat, who then suddenly pick up the pen. "You deleted MY messages! I'll show you!!" is essentially your argument, and not surprisingly, the kind of person who would behave this way is the same kind of person who would complain about optional donations on a free service being too high.

I hope you improve your server so that your playerbase gets the RO experience that they want. I read my review again a day later when I was already not irritated anymore and I still 100% agree with what I wrote. Maybe this thread will give you more motivation to get things done. So there's that.

distilled1

Quote from: Nova on Dec 08, 2020, 04:10 PM
The reviews for TravelsRO are also ridiculous (as are most server reviews to be fair). There were people who gave it 95+ in the first several weeks which is ofcourse only done to attract more people by loyal players. The fact that it has a 78/100 average rating as a niche lowrate should be very telling.

I agree with you that most server reviews are ridiculous haha. They are not moderated at all it seems. It's this very reason that I'm one of the people who gave Ragnarok Travels a score of 95/100, and here's why.
At first, I did my best to give it an appropriate score that I thought was completely unbiased and fair. I believe I first gave it a 75/100, but then, as expected, many many other reviews started coming in giving Ragnarok Travels completely unfair, dishonest, and defamatory reviews with scores like 25/100, or 10/100.
So the way I see it is like "if no one is going to moderate these dishonest reviews anyways, I might as well be dishonest myself, and rate it way above average to counterbalance the score.

Now, as I'm seeing the scores today, Ragnarok Travels has a score of 79/100. I don't really see what's so telling about the quality by this score as the reviews are not moderated or fair anyway, and similar servers have similar scores.
SolaceRO currently has a score of 80/100, OriginsRO has a score of 76/100, Ragna0 Lif has a score of 75/100, etc.
DOWN WITH MULTI-CLIENTING!

Nova

Quote from: distilled1 on Dec 10, 2020, 11:48 AM
I agree with you that most server reviews are ridiculous haha. They are not moderated at all it seems. It's this very reason that I'm one of the people who gave Ragnarok Travels a score of 95/100, and here's why.
At first, I did my best to give it an appropriate score that I thought was completely unbiased and fair. I believe I first gave it a 75/100, but then, as expected, many many other reviews started coming in giving Ragnarok Travels completely unfair, dishonest, and defamatory reviews with scores like 25/100, or 10/100.
So the way I see it is like "if no one is going to moderate these dishonest reviews anyways, I might as well be dishonest myself, and rate it way above average to counterbalance the score.

Now, as I'm seeing the scores today, Ragnarok Travels has a score of 79/100. I don't really see what's so telling about the quality by this score as the reviews are not moderated or fair anyway, and similar servers have similar scores.
SolaceRO currently has a score of 80/100, OriginsRO has a score of 76/100, Ragna0 Lif has a score of 75/100, etc.

Fair enough.
I wasn't aware that those servers had those ratings and I thought they were more in the 90+ range. My bad for not checking that beforehand.

neethree

Hoo boy. I've been waiting to see when a thread like this would pop up from the moment I played this server.  And I could have guessed that the same old rod-polishers would leap out to The Mighty Lord And Savior J's defence.

Totally agree with the original post. Such a good idea let down by a joke of an admin. Incredibly rude and unwelcoming, acts like god's gift to RO and thinks he's the personification of the chad meme and has zero ability to take criticism - any confrontation reverts to "i am awesome, you are stupid", which is evident in these replies already lol. It's purely cringeworthy to see someone heralding their server as the second coming of christ when it's buggy to all hell and has about 20 players.  Humility is not in this guy's dictionary.

By the way - he has sex guys. Too busy crushing poon to update, get jealous nerds.

What was most frustrating to me as a player, was the admin's absolute determination to deny bugs and unironically claiming everything was working as intended. Anything raised would get told "No, that's working as intended" or dismissed with a scathing comment that anyone daring to question it was just some renewal/rAthena casual and had no idea what **true RO** was really like. I'm a long term iRO player, but that was always go-to reaction to any criticism raised. Offer a video of a mechanic working smoothly in classic - "No, iRO classic isn't classic." Offer a video of pre-trans era iRO - entirely ignored. "Working as intended because I said so." Really felt like arguing with someone with their fingers in their ears.  All along I very much got the feeling that he had no idea what he was doing and acting high and mighty as an excuse to deny anything was not working and deflect things he didn't know how to fix - but don't worry guys, he totally could if he wanted to. He writes emulators and has a degree in computer science, don't you know.  But he doesn't want to, because everything is working as intended, and you just suck.

Server is all over the place with clunky laggy inputs and absolutely no consistency in content - MVPs having trans skills, for example. Yes, on a pre-trans server, Orc Lord has Earthquake. But it's okay, because Gravity wanted it like that - and all the other excuses to why this was totally intentional.

Bonus little nugget of professionalism while scrolling past that Orc Lord conversation, though half was missing from deleted messages. Better follow the rules (which are an incredibly vague bullet-point list on Discord). On second thoughts, better just get on your knees lest you offend his royal highness and find yourself at the mercy of his mighty hammer.

This server very much feels like it was pulled out of a box premade.  So, funny that you should mention it being ripped off from KokoRO... I got curious and looked in the GRF - Koko has a sole custom loading screen, that Travels conveniently uses too. What a coincidence...

Someone else told me that Travels has some of the same custom item texts in their luafiles that Koko does, but I have not verified this myself. Maybe someone else can check it out and see if that's true, but I don't play Koko so I don't know what to compare to.

Sooo, yeah. This server is a bare-bones plug-and-play stolen from kokoRO, with an egotistical admin desperately putting on the front that he's a revolutionary. Pretty embarassing.
Current Server(s):
None ;-;

Imperial Regalia

The poster above me goes by "Nee", and is someone who ragequit Discord because I wouldn't change firewall to be easier for him like it is on rAthena. He doesn't know how to use the skill, doesn't understand even the basics of how to vertical firewall, and demanded that I personally change it for him despite experienced players offering to help him. Yes, people like him actually exist. He even sent me multiple PMs asking me to change it because he told the guy that he played with that he was good at it.

I refused out of basic integrity and was very professional with him. Here is a gallery of him throwing a tantrum and stomping his feet when he didn't get his way. I wouldn't take him seriously as he does not seem right in the head, but frankly I wish him well. This is about all you need to know about how childish he is.

Quote from: TenuguuServer is all over the place with absolutely no consistency in content

Quote from: TenuguuHis server very much feels like it was pulled out of a box premade

Also, it is clear that you're making things up because you didn't get your way, but try not to radically contradict yourself in the span of a paragraph.