Too Fast lvling

Started by Kaid, Feb 22, 2008, 05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aris

A Hunter can still solo Thor lol... on a 10x I went there at level 65 with just a Hunter Bow x.x. Got to 85 in 1 hour or so.

Kaid

Quote from: Aris on Feb 23, 2008, 04:38 PM
A Hunter can still solo Thor lol... on a 10x I went there at level 65 with just a Hunter Bow x.x. Got to 85 in 1 hour or so.
Like i said, you can't be doing that because you are on a 5x with 3x drops, it's not efficient at all especially if you count the loss of exp from numerous deaths

Aris

actually thats like what... 245000 from one Kasa at 5x? hm... you lose 1% when you die. I can easily kill 2 or so Kasa per run at lower levels with only a Hunter Bow which you can buy at a NPC shop so drop rates don't matter. Even if I take lets say... 3 deaths? per Kasa at 65 or so then thats still worth it.

LetsHaveJuice

I've seen people hit 99 trans in less than 5 days on a 5/5/3 server. Fast leveling is inevitable <_<

NikitaDarkstar

I dont' think there's much you can do without messing up your server. RO is an old game, pepole know how to play it and how to play it well, and those that don't can read 16846510306866130 guides to know where to go and how to build to get the desired results.

It's not that your setup is wrong really, it's that your players are just good at the game and thats really all there is to it.

LetsHaveJuice

Its not about skill, its about time.  For example, if you start a server over the summer, people will level 2x~ faster than say if it opened in middle of october.  Highest levels are usually the ones that stay on the most.

Kaid

Quote from: LetsHaveJuice on Feb 23, 2008, 08:01 PM
Its not about skill, its about time.  For example, if you start a server over the summer, people will level 2x~ faster than say if it opened in middle of october.  Highest levels are usually the ones that stay on the most.
Not true i saw some guys who are on like 16/24 but they are only 80's and their priest is 91 (Server open for 5 days)
While the slovakian  guild are like 95+ D:< and they aren't on much

Skotlex

Quote from: Kaid on Feb 23, 2008, 01:54 PM
I reduced the spawn of Anubis
also i'm more looking for game play solutions rather than changing game settings.
What is a "game-play" solution? You can't dictate how your players play :v You can only try and handicap their favorite leveling methods. Lower particular spawns, reduce exp, reduce how exp is calculated so leeching is not as effective, reduce how much exp you can get per kill to limit mass-leveling, and eventually you are going to piss everyone off :/

(RMS reviews)

Kaid

I get the feeling that i failed somewhere :'(
what's the point if they just level up so fast, woe a bit then start to get bored. :/
even with many large scale events that are accompanied by art and big quests , but.. For how long.
I should have calculated that too :(
)

LetsHaveJuice

Quote from: Kaid on Feb 24, 2008, 01:27 PM
what's the point if they just level up so fast, woe a bit then start to get bored. :/
even with many large scale events that are accompanied by art and big quests , but.. For how long.
)

Thats basically what happens to every private server, don't feel sad :P

Ashe

It's just how RO goes lol.

Host a private server of another game, like Lineage 2. xD;
edited

Ansuz Isaz

In all honesty, with the exception of MouRO or other PVM-oriented servers, leveling to max level is actually the part people tend to enjoy the least. They don't take their time, and merely find the best ways to get to that high level. Thus, it's not really all that surprising that people can pull something like leveling that high that quickly off.

Most people who know the game inside and out play it for WoE, PVP, MVPing, or simply to enjoy talking with friends. Sadly, simply leveling is not something a lot of people get a kick out of. =P

-Personally is always thoroughly amused when playing a battle prof, and ends up leveling REALLY slow due to me enjoying playing in suicide areas where I have issues with staying alive long enough to actually get that kill.-

Kaid

Quote from: LetsHaveJuice on Feb 24, 2008, 05:54 PM
Quote from: Kaid on Feb 24, 2008, 01:27 PM
)

Thats basically what happens to every private server, don't feel sad :P
No, if this one were to totally fail and I'd have to move on. I'd be sure to beat gravity @_@

Skotlex

Fact #1: Some maps yield better experience than others.
Fact #2: Skilled players will beat harder monsters that are way above their level
Fact #3: Some MVPs/monsters give tons of exp (corollary of #1)
Fact #4: The exp rules make leeching highly effective.

How can you counter this?
#1: Modify spawns so some maps are not better for leveling than others (so that there is no "best" leveling spots given any certain levels)
#2: Most logical approach is a cap on how much exp you can get per kill (then spending more time to kill much harder and rewarding monsters is not better than taking the slow approach of tackling enemies your level).
#3: Adjust exp given by exploitable mobs.
#4: Change rules so that even share is more fair, and reduce exp boost from bonus attackers (which makes leeching someone very effective), you can alternatively also just cap how much exp you get per kill.

I really fail to see any other way around this... and I already made this point before... I doubt you can just make players "will" to level slowly and play as average players and stop trying to power-grind their way to max level.

(RMS reviews)

Kaid

Quote from: Skotlex on Feb 25, 2008, 01:36 PM
Fact #1: Some maps yield better experience than others.
Fact #2: Skilled players will beat harder monsters that are way above their level
Fact #3: Some MVPs/monsters give tons of exp (corollary of #1)
Fact #4: The exp rules make leeching highly effective.

How can you counter this?
#1: Modify spawns so some maps are not better for leveling than others (so that there is no "best" leveling spots given any certain levels)
#2: Most logical approach is a cap on how much exp you can get per kill (then spending more time to kill much harder and rewarding monsters is not better than taking the slow approach of tackling enemies your level).
#3: Adjust exp given by exploitable mobs.
#4: Change rules so that even share is more fair, and reduce exp boost from bonus attackers (which makes leeching someone very effective), you can alternatively also just cap how much exp you get per kill.

I really fail to see any other way around this... and I already made this point before... I doubt you can just make players "will" to level slowly and play as average players and stop trying to power-grind their way to max level.
Change abilities of some mobs is a nice idea also.
Make Anubis Slower so that you still get tailed by Mimics
Give High orcs more speed or Def etc...